Author Topic: Is there anyone that does commission keycap crafting?  (Read 3347 times)

Offline Danks

Is there anyone that does commission keycap crafting?
« on: Tue, 11 August 2020, 11:57:18 »
I want to build an Rainbow 6 Siege themed keyboard and have a few ideas for keycaps. I was wondering if there's anyone who 3D prints caps or hand makes and takes commission orders? Any help is greatly appreciated ;D

Offline creativikey

Re: Is there anyone that does commission keycap crafting?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 14 August 2020, 22:56:02 »
Hey, you may want to look into using WASD: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Their keycaps are made of thin ABS and the lettering will start to wear off in about a year, but they're the only ones who can do custom print jobs that are affordable. I actually got a board from them and just replaced the alphas with higher quality dye-sub PBT.

Offline CowBear22

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 05:19:36 »
Hey, you may want to look into using WASD: https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/wasd-v3-87-key-custom-mechanical-keyboard.html

Their keycaps are made of thin ABS and the lettering will start to wear off in about a year, but they're the only ones who can do custom print jobs that are affordable. I actually got a board from them and just replaced the alphas with higher quality dye-sub PBT.

Been so interested in this! I'm not sure I care about the printing fading but would you say the rest of the keycap feel low quality? Is it real thin and flimsy?

Offline creativikey

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 15 August 2020, 15:30:46 »

Been so interested in this! I'm not sure I care about the printing fading but would you say the rest of the keycap feel low quality? Is it real thin and flimsy?

To be honest, they don't feel terrible to me. If I hold a WASD keycap next to one of my PBT keycaps, I can clearly see that the PBT one is ~1.75% thicker. But when I'm typing on them, I really don't notice much difference. They don't really sound any different. The only thing is that the WASD caps are a bit smoother feeling, as ABS tends to be.

WASD also offers the option to buy single keycaps with your own design printed on them. So, depending what you're going for, you could just get a few novelties or modifiers with whatever you want, and then combine that with a higher quality set.

Offline CowBear22

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 August 2020, 08:14:47 »
oh that's awsome to hear!
As an ISO- NorDe user it's hard to find sets that fits your preference so being able to custom print your own set for that low price is wonderful!
Thank you for the answer  ;)