Author Topic: Kishsaver Club  (Read 344053 times)

Offline wcass

Re: Kishsaver Club
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 21 December 2013, 21:13:46 »
My key caps are really banged up and the paint on the case is badly chipped. That's not too much of an issue for me as i have a ton of caps and i can take it to an auto body place to get the case painted. But the barrel plate looks immaculate - NO rust on it and the foam is in excellent shape.

My space bar is in OK shape, but what i did for another model F (and i still have extra material) is to use music wire for a replacement wire and thin stainless tubing to increase the diameter so that it could hold a Model M space bar. I think i have a picture around here ...

48689-0

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:14:32 »
So did anybody else not get a stabilizer bar with their kishsaver?  Rather than searching for a stabilizer, I might just pop a 1.75 unit key on the board.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline codyeatworld

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 19:20:35 »
Mine only came with one stabilizer in the backspace.

I'm probably gonna split the right shift too.

Offline Aer Fixus

• And now, back to lurking...
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 22 December 2013, 20:56:10 »
So did anybody else not get a stabilizer bar with their kishsaver?  Rather than searching for a stabilizer, I might just pop a 1.75 unit key on the board.

Mine only came with one stabilizer in the backspace.

I'm probably gonna split the right shift too.

If you have the original (Model F) keys, you can make your own stabilizers with the right gauge wire (about 1mm diameter) and there shouldn't be any issues.
               SOON: IN PROGRESS:

I lie all the time.... I really don't even like keyboards

Offline wcass

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 15:23:24 »
so, how many of you plan on using these to type on? what are you looking for in a replacement controller? do you want a bare PCB and let you solder it up yourself or would you rather pay extra to have it pre-assembled?

Offline Game Theory

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 15:50:16 »
Pre-assembled for me though I could work with a bare pcb.
... he's just a poor kid from the stupid ages.
Realforce 104UG | Realforce 91U | IBM SSK | IBM 5251 BeamSpring | IBM Model F XT |  IBM Model F AT | IBM SSK | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL (MX Blue) | KMAC LE (MX Green)| Northgate Omni Key 101 | Avant Stellar Prime

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 16:19:26 »
I'd rather make it myself. I find soldering fun and relaxing, plus what would this project be if I just popped on a new circuit board.

I was originally expecting that the new controller would require replacing the existing controller chip with a Teensy, but whatever controller gets made, I suppose I'll have to use.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 18:34:27 »
I would prefer a PCB kit. I think it would be cool if the new controller PCB was made in the style of older electronics, with wide, curvy traces and only through hole components. :)
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 31 December 2013, 23:41:21 »
I would prefer a PCB kit. I think it would be cool if the new controller PCB was made in the style of older electronics, with wide, curvy traces and only through hole components. :)
idea i;
i = jdcarpe.idea.getIdea();
i++;

That'd be really cool. Personally, I like reusing old components when I can. Having the original circuit board with new parts placed into old holes would be a wonderful combination of new and old technology. The next best thing would be a kit that mimics the older style like jd said.

Offline wcass

« Reply #59 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 00:17:43 »
Soarer was working on something along that line. It would be elegant and cost effective. That silver chip is the magic.

But the only working KishSaver controller that i know of is based on dfj's work - about 50 components packed into 10 square inches. I will be starting a new thread on that soon. I just wanted to do an interest check to see if a group buy would fly and what would fly best.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #60 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:14:01 »
I am not going to do this until we actually get them working but I found a local place that I might use for media blasting and then powder coating my kishsaver back to its former glory. They seem to do projects of any size so they could probably do it at a good price. If I am happy with them I will surely use them for more projects in the future :)

http://www.cfcpowdercoating.com/

I still need to order replacement keycaps from unicomp, does anyone know if their custom keycaps come with the bottom half or is it just the tiny top part?

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:33:24 »
I still need to order replacement keycaps from unicomp, does anyone know if their custom keycaps come with the bottom half or is it just the tiny top part?

They're two piece and you get the cap and stem.  I recall someone mentioning at one point it was a crapshoot whether you got two or one piece when you bought a keyboard from them, but for custom caps I've always only seen two piece where you get both.  Could be worth mentioning when you place the order.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #62 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 18:56:15 »
I am not going to do this until we actually get them working but I found a local place that I might use for media blasting and then powder coating my kishsaver back to its former glory. They seem to do projects of any size so they could probably do it at a good price. If I am happy with them I will surely use them for more projects in the future :)

Can they replicate the texture? Also, it would be really cool if you made an Industrial Kishsaver. If I get a second, I really want to do that and get a repro silver on black square aluminum IBM badge to put on the upper right corner.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 19:21:00 »

I agree with all of this.  I like the idea of soldering it myself and that styling would be splendid.  :)

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 19:46:49 »

Can they replicate the texture? Also, it would be really cool if you made an Industrial Kishsaver. If I get a second, I really want to do that and get a repro silver on black square aluminum IBM badge to put on the upper right corner.
"With an ever-expanding array of colors, textures and techniques, we can provide the finish you desire."

I am going to say they probably can, this texture isn't something hard to replicate. I am not going to bother contacting them and asking just yet since I really don't need to.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 21:57:26 »

Man I can't wait to get some printed caps made up, the controller to be done, refinish the case (I'm thinking powder coat industrial gray) and painting the inner plate (I'm thinking flat black like OEM or maybe a dark purple.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 01 January 2014, 22:00:31 »
I would so powdercoat it into some interesting color with a faint metallic glint.  Also gold plate.  Having seen a Skeldon case in person, I love gold plates now.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline HAL9000

« Reply #67 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:15:28 »
This is mine, all I need now is a controller to get it working on PS/2 or USB
50879-0
PD1 (Tab), CapsLock & LeftShift are original all other keys are from unicomp
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:17:52 by HAL9000 »
Code: [Select]
/*pz*/char p[]=" ELPRTWZ";unsigned z[]={553179788,1641},
_=14;main(){while(_--)putchar(p[z[_/012]>>3*(_%10)&7]);}

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:17:09 »
(Attachment Link)

Whoa, I really like those 1-0 caps with the function number printed on the front.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 14 January 2014, 12:48:59 »
(Attachment Link)

Whoa, I really like those 1-0 caps with the function number printed on the front.

Apparently, Unicomp is stocking those, which is a surprise considering a buckling spring without function keys only exists in custom mod or kishsaver form, both of which are not  very common.

I should have bought a set when I ordered a barrel plate this weekend.  Dagnabit.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 28 January 2014, 22:40:13 »
Got mine (sort of) cleaned up and fitted with some regular Model M caps + front printed f row caps.  I'm really liking the way this looks.

Kishsaver by HoffmanMyster, on Flickr

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 11:48:05 »
where are you guys getting these?  i've never see one for sale.  also i bet these things are costly.

kishsaver is the only board to make ssk owners jelly.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 05 February 2014, 11:51:11 »
where are you guys getting these?  i've never see one for sale.  also i bet these things are costly.

Tinlong found a bunch and sold them recently.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=50475.0

Offline tricheboars

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Keyboards are Important!
« Reply #73 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:00:48 »

Spam that thread makes me glad i didnt throw down for one. Tin seems to have really taken advantage of Deskthority and Geekhack on that buy.
|  Fundamentalist ErgoDox Zealot  |  HHKB Hybrid

Offline 127001

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:25:10 »
Spam that thread makes me glad i didnt throw down for one. Tin seems to have really taken advantage of Deskthority and Geekhack on that buy.

Not at all. He was able to source a large number of rare, near impossible to find, highly desirable keyboards and sold them to the communities at a VERY fair price (it's likely they'll never go for that again). The logistics may have been a bit complicated/messy but that was really destined to happen considering the product and the location.

I got one missing a large number of keys and kinda beat up after about a 2 month wait. Regardless, I couldn't be happier with the transaction. 

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:38:23 »

Being proxy for some european kishsaver and talking much to tinnie, I must say: No, he didn't.

Offline Michael

• Formerly Bro Caps
  • * Maker
  • REEEeeeeEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeee
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:41:42 »
My Kishsaver is currently being restored

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:42:21 »

Need a bottom shot :p

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:43:47 »

Show Image

Please tell me that is a real BS BroBot!

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:44:16 »

Show Image

I'm calling BS on this one.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:57:08 »
Anyone have any idea where we stand on converting them?

Also, bro, you need to try to make a BS brobot that is the exact color as ibm keycaps :)

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
Kishsaver Club
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 12:58:52 »

I'm in favor of converting them.

I can't speak for the entire community, of course.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:00:07 »

I think everyone is, I meant if we were close to getting them converted or if it is still going to take awhile.  :p

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 13:08:43 »

I think everyone is, I meant if we were close to getting them converted or if it is still going to take awhile.  :p

Sorry, in real life everyone knows to assume that I'm being sarcastic 90% of the time, but that's of course more difficult to convey in the written word ;)

Offline ninjadoc

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 17:21:11 »
tricheboars "Spam that thread makes me glad i didnt throw down for one. Tin seems to have really taken advantage of Deskthority and Geekhack on that buy."

I too have talked to Tinlong on line quite a bit. He made little if any on the Kshsavers and gave us all an opportunity to buy a rare keyboard. He may not be the quickest to ship but when you are in school your hours don't always coincide with the  businesses that provide shipping. He doesn't always get a fair shake with everything he does and he didn't take advantage of anyone.

Offline wcass

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 18:07:27 »
a new controller is coming. 4 of 5 guys have working ones. early versions require manual fine tuning with a oscilloscope, so it's not ready for the masses yet. software auto-tuning is in the works. the hardware is on v4 (i think) and requires a boatload of parts packed very tightly.

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52922

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #86 on: Thu, 06 February 2014, 18:08:18 »
Yeah, I think everyone is more or less happy with them or else they would have sold them and probably made some money doing so.

EDIT: wcass, that is great news, I cannot wait.
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2014, 18:10:40 by HPE1000 »

Offline wcass

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:41:18 »
So I'm thinking about how I want my KS to look when it is functional; key cap color, case color, key layout. I am thinking of going with traditional ivory/pebble caps and oil-rubbed-bronze for the case. The paint stripper will take off all of the texture, so I might go with the "hammered" type paint. For key layout, I think I will put Esc at the top left and split the backspace to make room for grave/tilde and delete (I work in Windows). I will also split the right shift (arrow cluster), but join the two keys above for a standard ANSI Enter. Caps Lock will be a Fn key.

Comments?

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:50:31 »
So I'm thinking about how I want my KS to look when it is functional; key cap color, case color, key layout. I am thinking of going with traditional ivory/pebble caps and oil-rubbed-bronze for the case. The paint stripper will take off all of the texture, so I might go with the "hammered" type paint. For key layout, I think I will put Esc at the top left and split the backspace to make room for grave/tilde and delete (I work in Windows). I will also split the right shift (arrow cluster), but join the two keys above for a standard ANSI Enter. Caps Lock will be a Fn key.

Comments?
I was initially thinking I wanted to go 100% original for keys and layout, as in trying to get the PD keys I am missing and everything but now I think I want to convert it to standard ANSI normal keycaps. I was also thinking I might get it powder coated again at a local shop if they are cheap enough. If not then I will try to get a bit of touch up paint that I think would match and fix the chipped paint on mine.

I would be scared to spray paint it myself and expect a good texture to it, and I have painted a couple keyboards so far, none aluminum/metal though.

That layout is interesting though, arrows and all.

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 19:52:32 »

Comments?

I'd be concerned with having Fn on the same hand as Ctrl/Windows/Alt because I think it will limit your ability to chord easily, especially anything that is Ctrl + anything on the function later.

Offline wcass

« Reply #90 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:18:07 »
I'd be concerned with having Fn on the same hand as Ctrl/Windows/Alt because I think it will limit your ability to chord easily, especially anything that is Ctrl + anything on the function later.
I don't think I use any Win or Ctrl+Fn layer combos (am I forgetting something?). I use Alt+F4 a fair amount, though. It looks odd, but it is easy enough for me to type with thumb, pinky, and index. But this might be a good time to try out Space Function.

I'm considering adding a pin hole in the case for caps lock LED. What do you guys think?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #91 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:19:43 »
I'm considering adding a pin hole in the case for caps lock LED. What do you guys think?

Sounds brilliant to me. :thumb:
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline riotonthebay

• Cherry Peasant
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • keycult.com
« Reply #92 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:20:02 »
I don't think I use any Win or Ctrl+Fn layer combos (am I forgetting something?).

I'm currently using a 40% board, so I might just be in the mindset of ****ing everything being on the function later ;)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #93 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:25:34 »

Comments?

Huh I like that layout but I don't like the 1x Delete/Backspace. I think if I were using that layout, I'm swap |\ for the backspace like the HHKB delete.

I've also been thinking I might get this board powdercoated black.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #94 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 20:42:32 »

Comments?

Interesting.  I did not even have plans to mod the board.  If anything, I would replace that short left shift and maybe put in an ISO enter.  I have grown to prefer the ISO layout, except for that pesky left shift.

On the other hand, that ISO key next to the left shift could make a great FN key.

Offline wcass

« Reply #95 on: Mon, 10 February 2014, 21:07:59 »
Huh I like that layout but I don't like the 1x Delete/Backspace. I think if I were using that layout, I'm swap |\ for the backspace like the HHKB delete.

I've also been thinking I might get this board powdercoated black.
HHKB backspace was my first thought (I even have a 1.5 backspace printed). Then I realized that it would be complicated to do Ctrl+Alt+Del without a dedicated delete key. I like the idea of making backspace easier to reach, and what is easier to reach than the space bar? So backspace became Fn+space. I tried to make the second layer so intuitive that second legends would not be needed.

Offline Charizard^

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 00:21:11 »
What are the P/N's for the Kishsaver, certainly there is more than one?

Offline Aer Fixus

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 11 February 2014, 04:01:53 »
What are the P/N's for the Kishsaver, certainly there is more than one?

6019284 is the P/N for these Kishsavers that were found.

This is the doc of all known serial numbers for the 4704 keyboards. The 62 key is the Kishsaver. People here, including myself have looked far and wide for Kishsavers before the "group buy":

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AmX2RHh7e1HxdEFkc29RRjU1RUdDVGdFc1pEdU1kTFE&usp=sharing#gid=2

I've already done the research and the only listing that I found for a Kishsaver is on overstockedcomputer.com: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=52281.0

You can go ahead and try again, but I've searched every serial number and Google hasn't turned up a hint for any of them except for Geek Hack threads and that listing.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 18:32:40 »
I just got my Kish the other day. I'm glad I didn't miss my chance to get one.

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 18:34:59 »
I just got my Kish the other day. I'm glad I didn't miss my chance to get one.

Show Image

Show Image

Nice, awesome click clack as well :)