Author Topic: [GB] F104+SSK+122+62+77+50+Ergo orders now open! Kishsaver+Industrial Model F  (Read 2350580 times)

Offline Ellipse

• Brand New Model F Keyboards
Re: [GB] F62+F77 orders now open! New Kishsaver+Industrial Model F Keyboards
« Reply #2050 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 09:48:44 »
Factory update:  217 completed assembled keyboards (no keys) plus 133 additional completed bottom inner assemblies (no keys).  As a reminder the factory is installing the unprinted key orders while I am doing the dye sublimation and installing the printed keys.  I am designing tools to install/remove a key set at once to a keyboard instead of key by key, to save time.

Yep OK to order keys listed on that page.  Please specify key size, color, and legend text (including the category of key as specified on that page).

Offline Vizir

« Reply #2051 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 13:33:46 »
would it be possible to order them by sets? also, the ergodox set... is that a if someone ever makes a buckling spring ergodox?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2052 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 17:03:19 »
Yes, ok to order a full set (just order the individual keys).  Sorry no discounts on sets.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2053 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 17:01:14 »
The factory has finished assembly of 400 keyboards so far, less than planned due to issues slowing down the process that are being worked on.  Assembly going forward should be at a quicker pace once these issues are no longer a bottleneck.  This means that assembly will likely finish in July despite the factory's expectations to finish around the end of June.

Assembly issues earlier this month:  assembled incorrect layout for about 100 units (had to disassemble and adjust; they are working on training their factory team for assembly), bottom inner assembly radius issue mentioned before, some zinc cases are bent a little too much (there should be no visible gap in the cases; the way to fix this is by using a rubber mallet!), some PCBs had some factory defects and are being re-made (I ordered extras of each component so as not to delay assembly if some parts were bad).
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 June 2019, 22:52:51 by Ellipse »

Offline ApocalypseMaow

• Kitteh Overlord
  • Say WHAAT...
« Reply #2054 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 05:24:35 »
SO HYPE!!!
{WTT}HoffNudes(WTS)BLK LightSaverV2         
"#baby****fangerz" -Vesper 2015

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2055 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 22:32:45 »
As of now, the factory has completed assembling 700 keyboards and can assemble about 50 keyboards in one day.  They are continuing to work on ramping up the daily capability to speed up the remaining assembly.  We are now looking at completion of mass assembly in July!

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2056 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 23:18:57 »
As of now, the factory has completed assembling 700 keyboards and can assemble about 50 keyboards in one day.  They are continuing to work on ramping up the daily capability to speed up the remaining assembly.  We are now looking at completion of mass assembly in July!
Super work Ellipse.  This is one hell of a project.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #2057 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 23:25:51 »
How's the dye sub process coming along?  It sounds like you're going to have otherwise finished keyboards on hand, waiting for keycaps in the near future.  If they finish in July, and get the keyboards delivered to you in August, how soon do you think you'll be able to finish dye sub all those keycaps?  It's something like 1,300 sets, isn't it?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2058 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 16:54:16 »
Bluetooth wireless keyboard option?

Someone just messaged me the following option for a wireless Model F and I was wondering if anyone has looked into it:
The Handheld Scientific BT-500 Bluetooth Adapter for Keyboard & Mouse:
http://handheldsci.com/kb/
Using this adapter, removed from its case, you could possibly fit it inside the spacious case of the Model F.

Looks like it has one end to attach the USB cable from the controller and the other end to connect any USB battery.

Regarding the dye sub, yes I will be doing all the dye sub.  Most of the dye sub will be done while I am doing the final testing of the keyboards so as not to hold things up (and as much as possible before the shipment arrives).  Still, it will take months to examine and mail out each order one at a time.

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #2059 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 17:40:02 »
Regarding the dye sub, yes I will be doing all the dye sub.  Most of the dye sub will be done while I am doing the final testing of the keyboards so as not to hold things up (and as much as possible before the shipment arrives).  Still, it will take months to examine and mail out each order one at a time.

Yes, I understand that you'll be doing the dye sub of the keycaps.  Have you got all the details of your dye sub process finalized yet?  Have you been able to use your process to successfully dye sub an entire keycap set?  From past comments, it sounded like you had only made a few test keycaps and hadn't figured it all out yet.  What's the QA process you're planning to follow to examine each keyboard?  What are your criteria for passing or failing a keyboard?  How long do you think it will take you per keyboard?

With 1300 keyboards, each time you add five minutes of work to your process for each keyboard, that's an extra 108 hours (13.5 8-hour days) over the course of the entire project.  So even if you just spend an extra five minutes on the keycaps for each board once you get started, it's significant.  If you spend an hour total on each board, for 1300 keyboards, that's one person working normal workdays for over 7 months.  I'm curious how much thought you've given the final logistics of this project, given how large its grown.

Another way of asking all this is: when you say it will take months to examine and mail out each keyboard, do you mean 2 months, or more like 6-12 months?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2060 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 18:14:03 »
Quality control criteria have been specified to the factory in a several dozen page manual and include many things:  the buckling function and sound of each assembled flipper+spring, the finish of each part, the assembly distance between the end of the spring and the flipper nub, the filing off of the barrel cavity number, the radii of the top and bottom inner assemblies, the correct barrel, flipper/spring placement for each specified layout, proper bend of the large capacitive PCB, proper orientation and soldering of the ribbon cable and controller PCB, proper closing of the inner assembly (must be slid all the way until it can't go anymore!), no damage to any finishes, correct tolerances for space bar movement (has to do with the stabilizer wire), correct installation of keys to mylar sheets for dye sublimation (to save me from manually placing each key for dye sublimation the factory is doing all this arrangement work), no gaps between top and bottom zinc cases or between ultra compact case parts, etc.  Since I made extras, units that do not pass and cannot be fixed quickly can be skipped over for the time being so as not to delay things too much.

I am still working on the dye sub - it is not all figured out yet.  I might get a second complete dye sub setup to speed things up if needed.

I can't give any ballpark answers yet regarding timing.  As noted earlier the factory is doing the final inspection so it depends on how good the QC is on their side - the better the QC the faster I can get things done. 

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #2061 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 19:17:18 »
would it be possible to order them by sets? also, the ergodox set... is that a if someone ever makes a buckling spring ergodox?

There are several form factors waiting to be done for the first time with Buckling springs...  :cool:

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2062 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 12:24:53 »
The factory is up to 800 keyboards assembled.  We just reached 1700 keyboards ordered!

Current order breakdown:
F77   907
F62   412
Compact F77   240
Compact F62   141
Grand Total   1700

F77   
Industrial Gray   486
Off-White/Beige   299
Black   106
True Red   6
PANTONE 14-5002 TPX Silver Gray   5
Silver Gray   3
Another color   2
F77 Total   907
F62   
Off-White/Beige   210
Industrial Gray   131
Black   60
True Red   10
Silver Gray   1
F62 Total   412
Compact F77   
Black   150
Regular Gray   82
Dark Blue   4
Carolina Blue   4
Compact F77 Total   240
Compact F62   
Black   92
Standard Gray   47
Dark Blue   2
Compact F62 Total   141
Grand Total   1700

Key Set Types:
Regular printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1267
Black unprinted keys   143
Regular color blank keys (no lettering/legends)   112
UK   47
Use your own keys / use other color new keys   40
Swedish-Finnish   28
German   18
Norwegian   11
French   6
International layout 4
Danish   3
Swiss German   3
Latin American Spanish   2
APL Keys   2
JIS   2
Spanish   1
Swiss French and German   1
Hebrew English   1
Swiss   1
Arabic   1
Italian   1
Dutch   1
Brilliant white printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1
Blue printed key set (US/ANSI layout)   1
Korean   1
Russian   1
Brazilian ABNT   1
Grand Total   1700

Layouts:
ANSI (U.S. default - horizontal Enter key) with split right shift, split backspace, and HHKB keys but not HHKB layout   1
ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   868
ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and non-HHKB Split Right Shift   1
ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key) and Split Backspace   6
DVORAK layout; ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   1
DVORAK with HHKB style split right shift   1
DVORAK with HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace   1
HHKB split right shift only and split backspace, everything else ANSI Enter   1
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter   15
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter, HHKB style Ctrl and Caps Lock   2
HHKB split right shift only, everything else ANSI Enter, short left shift   1
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace   251
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace and short space bar   1
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys   1
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and regular 2-unit wide backspace, short left shift   1
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace   388
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace and short left shift   4
HHKB-Style Split Right Shift and Split Backspace, original position Ctrl and Caps lock keys   1
ISO Enter (vertical enter and 2U Left Shift)   1
ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift)   128
ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and HHKB-Style Split Right Shift   9
ISO Enter (Vertical Enter And Split Left Shift) And HHKB-Style Split Right Shift, Split Backspace   6
ISO Enter (vertical enter and split Left Shift) and non-HHKB Split Right Shift   2
Scumyc ANSI Enter (default - horizontal Enter key)   7
Split Enter (1.25U enter and split Left Shift) and non-HHKB Split Right Shift   1
Grand Total   1700

F77 Right side block:
Print/ScrLock/Pause/Ins/Del etc. keys, cursor keys   657
0-9 and cursor keys   398
Blank   91
0-9 and cursor keys, blue unprinted keys for 5 and 0   1
Grand Total   1147

Extras:
Extra Flipper and Spring   3541
Extra Barrel   1894
Individual Keys   998
4 Extra bumpers    578
Extra Set of Brand New Production XT-quality one-piece keys   567
FirstAidKit   425
Extra Plastic Stabilizer Insert for keys   390
Extra inner foam (F62, F77, F62 split shift, F77 split shift, F107, F122, PC AT)   145
Extra steel spacebar tabs (pair)   141
Key Cap Puller   122
Extra case  119
xwhatsit Beam Spring or Model F USB controller   57
Extra PCB   5
Extra top inner assembly   3
Extra box + protective custom foam   1

Extra Key Sets      
Extra Set of Brand New Production XT-quality one-piece keys   499
Add Front Printed F1-F12 12 Key Set?: Yes   310
Add HHKB 6 Key Set?: Yes   117   
Industrial SSK Blue Keys   231
Apple/Mac Command-Option Keys   163   

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2063 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 12:32:47 »
Update on the dye sublimation: I should have something in a week or so from now.  The quality of recent tests was below that of my older tests, and I think I figured out what needs to change with my setup.  Will be ready to test next week.  Every variable makes a difference in the results.

The factory expects to wrap up mass assembly by mid- to late August.  We had some last minute troubles with the foam packaging and boxes (I was not happy with the quality of the production samples and had them remake the samples a few times).  Outside foam is finished, but the boxes need another 3 weeks. 

The factory also lost some of the classic cases (!) last year during a warehouse move and only discovered the issue recently (they covered almost all of the replacement cost but I still had to cover a lot of the cost - minor price increases for the final round are likely at this point to cover all the overages).   

Mass assembly of the keyboards is ongoing.  I believe they are about half done.

Offline ___q

« Reply #2064 on: Sat, 20 July 2019, 13:20:10 »
Maybe a dumb question, but the thread is long and it's hard to keep track of everything. Is there still time to order cases and be in the first round with all of the manufacturing going on?

I ordered an ultra compact F62 and am having some second thoughts on ultra compact vs classic (really, like tenth thoughts after all these years  :) ) and am considering adding an extra (black) classic case so that I don't have to regret either decision.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2065 on: Wed, 24 July 2019, 19:41:37 »
Yes, still time to order cases and other accessories to be included with your early bird order (still some time to order keyboards too!).

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2066 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 12:37:29 »
Is it still possible to place a new order, or no?
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline esquilax

« Reply #2067 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 13:48:27 »
Is it still possible to place a new order, or no?

Yes.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2068 on: Thu, 25 July 2019, 16:36:33 »
Yes still time to place a new order!  We are running very low on Industrial Gray classic style F77 cases so please try to pick another color, but you can still order that color if you'd like.

Offline henz

• * Exquisite Elder
  • What?
« Reply #2069 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 16:06:09 »
not sure if it has been asked, but will you start shipping boards with blanks when you get it from the factory, or will only shipping start after dye sub is finished?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2070 on: Sun, 28 July 2019, 16:22:06 »
All the keyboards will arrive at the same time and they will ship in order of when they were ordered, with the low serial ones shipped first.  Dye sub will be done as I go (sublimating while I do the inspections to avoid process bottlenecks).  So I will not do all dye sub before shipping the first keyboard - would not be optimal.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2071 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 01:02:37 »
Hi Ellipse,

Sounds fair.

Any news from the factory?
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2072 on: Mon, 29 July 2019, 07:21:53 »
Yes, please check a few posts up for the latest update

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2073 on: Sat, 03 August 2019, 11:53:05 »
The latest update:  the factory has not made as much 100% completed keyboard assembly progress in July as they did in June due to the bottom inner assembly issue.

The factory had to remake many of the bottom inner assemblies as they were out of spec (they could not bend them back to shape accurately).  The stamping tool broke and took a while to fix.  Production finished on these but plating (the golden color finish) has taken longer than expected from the subcontractor.  Plating will finish next week and then final assembly can resume (can't assemble and easily store hundreds of inner assemblies without the bottom inner assembly).

Unfortunately for the relatively low quantities of this project we do not get priority timing at the factories - the finishing factories are especially busy.

While the number of completed keyboards has not increased much recently, in July the factory finished as much as they could without having the remaining bottom inner assemblies, including the key sheet installation (for dye sublimation) and other small item assembly (flipper+spring assembly) so mass assembly will hopefully be able to speed up a bit for the remaining keyboards and finish by the end of August.

Offline gfunk

« Reply #2074 on: Sun, 04 August 2019, 11:00:48 »
I've been watching this project for a long, just placed my order for a F77 - woot!

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2075 on: Wed, 07 August 2019, 18:40:03 »
Great gfunk, glad you have joined the project!

In 1-2 days the product boxes are shipping to the factory doing the mass assembly.  I have requested photos of the boxes.  So I expect final mass assembly and packaging to resume next week and finish in the coming weeks for the remaining early bird units.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #2076 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 07:29:41 »
Ellipse, how far along in the dye sub process are we? I was thinking about adding a few more special keys to my order (my order numbers are in the mid 4000's and low 6000's). Is there still time to do this?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2077 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 07:53:07 »
Still time to order accessories and keyboards!

I have had some better dye sub results with my most recent tests but output is still too variable (some good, some not good test results). 

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2078 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 07:53:21 »

I have had some better dye sub results with my most recent tests but output is still too variable (some good, some not good test results). 

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #2079 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 11:36:08 »

Good to hear, thanks! I'll try to get an order in for the extra keys one of these days. Will referencing the original order numbers in the order notes be enough?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2080 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 16:33:10 »
Yes that is OK to reference

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2081 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 21:38:41 »
Production of the double-walled boxes finished this week!  Below are some photos of the boxes.

Unfortunately they made a mistake on the artwork color (I specified that shade of blue from the rendered artwork posted a while back but they did the artwork in black).  We are moving forward with these boxes to avoid any further delays, and I have requested the blue color for the artwork of the final round boxes.

224059-0
224061-1
224063-2
224065-3
224067-4

Online LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2082 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 21:39:49 »
Production of the double-walled boxes has finished this week!  Below are some photos of the boxes.

Unfortunately they made a mistake on the artwork color (I specified that shade of blue from the rendered artwork posted a while back but they did the artwork in black).  We are moving forward with these boxes to avoid any further delays, and I have requested the blue color for the artwork of the final round boxes.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

These are very cool. Good progress!

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2083 on: Thu, 08 August 2019, 21:42:53 »
Some cool lookin boxes. I’m glad I chose blanks in the interest of time.

Offline esquilax

« Reply #2084 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 12:30:04 »
Some cool lookin boxes. I’m glad I chose blanks in the interest of time.

I chose blanks too, but my understanding is that these will get shipped out in low serial, then chronological order.

Is that correct, Ellipse?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2085 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 19:30:33 »
Correct - no prioritization for blank keyboards.

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2086 on: Fri, 09 August 2019, 21:13:21 »
My **** is hard for this keyboard. It no longer resembles a buckling spring.

Offline Mr_BeastQuake

• Reddit
« Reply #2087 on: Sat, 10 August 2019, 00:44:21 »
Correct - no prioritization for blank keyboards.

Is the idea that the dye sublimation will be a streamlined process by the time the boards are received?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2088 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 06:50:12 »
The boxes have arrived!

224295-0
224297-1
224299-2

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #2090 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:26:53 »
Woah! Why am I finally hearing about this project now?

If I were to place an order on an F77, how long will it take until I receive it?

I noticed this project is dated back 3 years now....

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #2091 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:33:41 »
If I were to place an order on an F77, how long will it take until I receive it?

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Offline jimboytacos

« Reply #2092 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 13:48:58 »

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Are you shrugging to tell me I might not get it until 2022?

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2093 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 16:17:00 »
jimboytacos these should start going out in October.  Feel free to check out the blog entries explaining the details behind the factory delays.  Fortunately all issues have been resolved and mass assembly is finishing in the coming weeks.

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #2094 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 16:31:16 »

‾\_(ツ)_/‾

Are you shrugging to tell me I might not get it until 2022?
Nobody knows, man. We get em when we get em. ¯\_( ͠° ͟ʖ °͠ )_/¯
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline idlemao

« Reply #2095 on: Wed, 14 August 2019, 23:26:25 »
If I were to order now, how long would it be until it was ready to ship for me?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2096 on: Thu, 15 August 2019, 10:45:13 »
If I were to order now, how long would it be until it was ready to ship for me?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Not trying to be rude, but read the last few posts before yours to answer that question.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline Ellipse

« Reply #2097 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 16:41:11 »
Latest update from the factory:

They are still on track to finish all early bird assembly by the end of August.

Online LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #2098 on: Mon, 19 August 2019, 21:21:37 »
Love the frequent updates. :thumb:

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #2099 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 06:07:30 »
Sounds good!