Author Topic: Topre 45g 88UB - issues with USB power  (Read 3060 times)

Offline zappb

Topre 45g 88UB - issues with USB power
« on: Sun, 14 July 2013, 13:07:14 »
Hi Bruce,

A strange issue i've had with the 88UB - when it's plugged into some usb ports it works, and in others it doesn't.

I think it must be something to do with the power requirements of the keyboard - when it's plugged into a standard usb 2 socket, I get the attached "USB Device not recognised" error (I've tested this with Linux mint and OSx) - it doesn't work in some USB ports.

When I use it in a USB 3 port, no problems, works like a dream.

No problems with it - I'm just interested, Any ideas?

Many thanks,

Also if you can stock the new Topre leopold if it makes sense.

Offline wsjudd

• The Keyboard Company Blog
Re: Topre 45g 88UB - issues with USB power
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 06:33:39 »
Hey zappb,

That's certainly not a known issue with Topre boards to the best of my knowledge. I've got a Topre 104 (which would presumably draw slightly more power than an 88) and I've had no problems running it on USB 2.0 ports, USB 3.0 ports or even USB 2.0 drawing power from an Android smartphone.

Could you try the keyboard on a separate computer? It could be an issue with the keyboard or your ports, and it'd be good to know which :)

Cheers,

Will
Blogs & Social Media
The Keyboard Company

Offline zappb

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 12:50:33 »
Thanks Will - I've tried it on at least 4 computers over the last year - there are 10 computers in our office all of them have an issue with it -

I know it's not a topre issue per say as we have over 10 topre boards as well as the 88UB - (86U, 87U, ilovex WL0100, 6 x 105UB and a selection of 23U, 23UB)  in the office and none of them have this issue, I was just wondering if its an issue with the 88UB model (which works great except some kind of recognition error on the USB, don't think it is a windows issue as issue across Mac OS / Linux).

If Bruce and the gang haven't seen this before it must be some interesting anomaly with this board!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 July 2013, 13:05:09 »
I would contact TKC directly (via email).

Just out of curiosity could you post the lsusb -v of the keyboard on linux? advice if you need help with that.

Offline wsjudd

• The Keyboard Company Blog
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 02:13:21 »
I've forwarded the topic on to Bruce; I'll let you know what he says.
Blogs & Social Media
The Keyboard Company

Offline zappb

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:50:53 »
Thx Matt,

lsusb -v when KB is connected and working:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KPNVqbeT2iqOkoUE9BYdJLZXnk5Y__u7p9EjcUUbshs/edit?usp=sharing

lsusb -v when KB is connected but unresponsive:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RFxdY2tlajIKu_MzEwybiYuGxMNGtcPUhuGKcSDE8LU/edit?usp=sharing

Notes: Linux Mint VM may be an issue - Can run this on my ubuntu based Nas tomorrow if these are useless.

Offline zappb

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 17 July 2013, 14:53:14 »
wsjudd, thx m8