Author Topic: [IC] ADK18 Numpad - GB is Live!  (Read 10417 times)

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
[IC] ADK18 Numpad - GB is Live!
« on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 17:38:22 »
The little brother to the ADK64 case.

https://imgur.com/a/hPiZDiC

Features:
  • 3D Printed case and plate
  • nachie paladinpadv2 PCB - QMK, USB-C, RGB, Alps + MX
  • Same sexy curve as the ADK64  :cool:

All development is done. Waiting on a quote for PCB prices from nachie. I'll be doing the printing on this one, so the GB is coming right at the end of August. I'll have a few plates to choose from for common layouts, and if you're some weirdo that wants a stupid layout, I'll happily enable your tomfoolery and get that made.

Also planning to run this with an ADK64 case + plate + PCB combo for Alps.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 12:00:30 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline iaman

Re: [IC] ADK18 Numpad
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 17:54:54 »
😍

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 22:52:34 »
I really like this! Just out of curiosity... How is the plate mounted to the case?
Also have you given any thought to having a second case option? Something similar to a basic tray mount 60% case like the klippe (I have always wanted a 17key numpad to match a standard 60%)

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline VelourFog

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 22:52:56 »
This may work for me...

Offline justinhigley

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 11 August 2019, 23:43:22 »
Nice.

Slightly off topic, but did ADK64 R2 happen? I'd be interested in this if the big brother was going to be available again.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 02:05:43 »
I really like this! Just out of curiosity... How is the plate mounted to the case?
Also have you given any thought to having a second case option? Something similar to a basic tray mount 60% case like the klippe (I have always wanted a 17key numpad to match a standard 60%)

https://gyazo.com/cad6d3b816e758a2f19f2a4a7cd4781d

Here is an animation of it going together. The plate sits on those pegs, which are then used to locate the top. There are threads in the top piece, which are threaded into by cap screws that go through the bottom of the base. The curve hides the seam perfectly.

Psssst... you can also stick elastics/orings on the pegs to make a burger mount ;)

Nice.

Slightly off topic, but did ADK64 R2 happen? I'd be interested in this if the big brother was going to be available again.

ADK64 R2 has not happened - I want to redesign it in a non-tray mount style and get it made in some other materials too. Many months out, as I am headed back to uni for my final (and heavily project based [read: RIP free time]) year of mech eng - so I might just not sleep over halloween break and get it done then...
« Last Edit: Mon, 12 August 2019, 02:08:36 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 02:35:35 »

https://gyazo.com/cad6d3b816e758a2f19f2a4a7cd4781d

Here is an animation of it going together. The plate sits on those pegs, which are then used to locate the top. There are threads in the top piece, which are threaded into by cap screws that go through the bottom of the base. The curve hides the seam perfectly.

Psssst... you can also stick elastics/orings on the pegs to make a burger mount ;)

Nice.

ADK64 R2 has not happened - I want to redesign it in a non-tray mount style and get it made in some other materials too. Many months out, as I am headed back to uni for my final (and heavily project based [read: RIP free time]) year of mech eng - so I might just not sleep over halloween break and get it done then...
Ahh cool, nice animation.

I'll probably have to pass up this time but if there are ever plans to make one that matches a high profile 60% case I would be in, in a flash.

GL with the IC & GB!

Offline rooski15

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 09:30:59 »
If I could buy the numpad and the matching adk64, this would be a homerun - I love a matching 60 and numpad.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 10:33:24 »
If I could buy the numpad and the matching adk64, this would be a homerun - I love a matching 60 and numpad.

It seems like this is the sentiment for a lot of people. I'll talk to Belle about maybe doing a small run for those who want an ADK64/18 combo, but her queue is pretty full until October, whereas numpads are small enough that I can churn out a few a day and have this wrapped up within a month.

Offline justinhigley

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 19:32:04 »
It seems like this is the sentiment for a lot of people. I'll talk to Belle about maybe doing a small run for those who want an ADK64/18 combo, but her queue is pretty full until October, whereas numpads are small enough that I can churn out a few a day and have this wrapped up within a month.

That's the boat I'm in. I'd be fine with getting the 64 (much) later, I'd just like some assurance that I'll be able to complete the set without having to resort to the secondary markets.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 12 August 2019, 20:34:07 »
I'm contemplating just licensing the design to Belle so people can just grab them from her site whenever. I hate the fomo caused by groupbuys (but I understand that moq is needed sometimes), so I may as well not contribute to that if I don't have to.

Offline vi0till

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 13 August 2019, 03:09:51 »
Count me in.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:30:02 »
Alright, update time. I sent a sample to nachie so he can give it a try. I also found a better (and more time and filament intensive) way to print the tops, but they're dead smooth, so it'll be worth the extra few bucks.

We also have gotten a lot of requests to bring back the ADK64, so I've reached out to Belle to see if we can make that happen. Nachie will be offering paladin64 PCBs, and I'll get some plates cut from FR4 for the Alps gang so that we can provide a full kit.

Pricing for the adk18:
<50 units - $70/kit
50+ units - $65/kit

Rough estimate of pricing for ADK64 kit:
$125 (case + PCB + plate)

These are subject to change, but they're a pretty good estimate. Still shopping around for better quotes. The adk18 will run regardless of the ADK64 being brought back, and I'll let you all know what Belle says, as she's pretty busy with her own projects.

- Andy

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 15:36:27 »
Alright, update time. I sent a sample to nachie so he can give it a try. I also found a better (and more time and filament intensive) way to print the tops, but they're dead smooth, so it'll be worth the extra few bucks.

We also have gotten a lot of requests to bring back the ADK64, so I've reached out to Belle to see if we can make that happen. Nachie will be offering paladin64 PCBs, and I'll get some plates cut from FR4 for the Alps gang so that we can provide a full kit.

Pricing for the adk18:
<50 units - $70/kit
50+ units - $65/kit

These are subject to change, but they're a pretty good estimate. Still shopping around for better quotes. The adk18 will run regardless of the ADK64 being brought back, and I'll let you all know what Belle says, as she's pretty busy with her own projects.

- Andy
YOOOOOOOOOOOO  :eek:

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 17:18:09 »

Pricing for the adk18:
<50 units - $70/kit
50+ units - $65/kit

- Andy

Loving my R1 ADK64 even with it's rougher edges! Count me in for the numpad & another ADK64 since a PCB that will support the SGI Granite layout will be offered! I've been wanting to get those caps on a custom for too long now. I thought it would work for R1, but the XD60 V3 PCB I got didn't support the caps spacing for SGI Granite. So I punted & grabbed a ALPS64 PCB & AEK layout FR4 plate from Hasu for it. Also gotta say I am extremely excited to hear you are looking into alternate mounting methods & case materials! Tray mounting is tried & true, but it's also kinda like an old beat up pick truck in some ways. It gets the job done, but not in any type of graceful fashion, & the ride is definitely gonna be rough, LOL! Anyways I'll be keeping my eye on this project just like the last, GL with everything moving forward on it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:22:56 by Rob27shred »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] ADK64 (possibly) + ADK18 Numpad
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 21:44:18 »
Glad to see you're back on board! Just to clarify, the ADK is not being re-engineered (yet) so it's still tray mount.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:20:19 »
Glad to see you're back on board! Just to clarify, the ADK is not being re-engineered (yet) so it's still tray mount.

I figured it would be to be ran concurrent with the ADK18, just glad to hear you're exploring more options with this case!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:22:45 »
Yeah, my next design project is gonna be adapting the ADK64 to a burger mount like the ADK18. Will be easy since I've done it already and need to scale it up, I just need to set aside an evening and a half bottle of whatever to get it done ;)

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 23 August 2019, 23:31:24 »
Yeah, my next design project is gonna be adapting the ADK64 to a burger mount like the ADK18. Will be easy since I've done it already and need to scale it up, I just need to set aside an evening and a half bottle of whatever to get it done ;)

LOL, inspiration & motivation come in many forms! :thumb:

Offline DJ Shoko

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 01:42:39 »
I missed out on the previous ADK64 group buy and sure as hrll would like one for my SKCM blues.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 12:11:32 »
So if the ADK64 gets run again here, is it going to have a different finish (smooth)? I spent god knows how long trying to sand my R1 case and it never ended up that great so I would definitely buy again if that's the case.

As for the next ADK project, would you consider other materials such as....aluminum?  :D

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 August 2019, 14:53:25 »
I'll ask Belle to try and print it differently. I print the ADK18 with the front face down, and it is smooth as hell - so the two piece ADK64v2 will certainly be smooth. As for the ADK64 I'll be running here, I'll try printing it differently, but I think we'll just end up doing it the same old way

Offline Blammy

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 15:36:57 »
I'll ask Belle to try and print it differently. I print the ADK18 with the front face down, and it is smooth as hell - so the two piece ADK64v2 will certainly be smooth. As for the ADK64 I'll be running here, I'll try printing it differently, but I think we'll just end up doing it the same old way

What about using ABS to print the next batch of ADK64? I don't have experience with 3D printing, but from what I understand, ABS is the same price as PLA. It might sound better, and you can get it super smooth with acetone. Looking forward to all 3!

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 21:22:48 »
It's a pain to print, so when you're doing large runs in a reasonable timeframe it's really not feasible.

Offline Blammy

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 00:13:08 »
Aw shucks, that's too bad. At least now I know why ABS 3D printing is rarely mentioned in this community. Wet sanding PLA with fine grit is probably more than good enough for me. I really liked most of the colors you chose for the first round.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:50:21 »
For that price im in for the ADK64 (I dont understand the 64 names for the 60% Alps tho)

Edit: what plastic are you going to use? A friend said PETG its better than PLA because PLA can melt or deform around 50° Celcius and PETG is more resistant and recyclable
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 September 2019, 14:51:00 by Vireca »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 14:31:34 »
Yeah, it's only 60 keys  :cool:, but it's stuck now

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #27 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 03:50:05 »
Can you make me one with HHkB blockers and illl pay extra?

Offline ZivZulander

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 03:35:23 »
Highly interested in this. :)

Offline menuhin

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 07:29:30 »
Damn... I don't have enough cash flow right now...

I cannot miss this one!
Wishlist: 1) nice thick Alps caps; 2) Cherry profile POM;
More
Wishful-list: 1) We order from keyboard-layout-editor.com; 2) usable Trackpoint module for all keyboards
IBM M13 black
NeXT non-ADB keyboard (AAE)
HHKB Pro 2 HasuBT
[~90WPM, in love with Emacs, and Lisp]

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:23:22 »
So I've almost got my ducks in a row for this, I've reached out to Belle about running the ADK64 concurrently. She might not be able to run it until late October, but if that is the case I'll make an option that will guarantee you a spot on the ADK64 buy if you'd like an ADK18 as well. I think that's the best way to do this if I can't run them at the same time.

Offline Vireca

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:41:57 »
So the ADK64 its going to be just a round 2 without any improvement, so another tray mount or are you going to make it sandwich mount like the ADK18?

Offline rooski15

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 10:49:05 »
I'd certainly be interested in the matching set if made available, even with a delay.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #33 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 07:34:50 »
I’ll just ask belle I guess

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 10 September 2019, 10:50:36 »
I’ll just ask belle I guess

Sorry, missed your post. I can do that. Just make sure you put a note when you eventually submit the order form.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 15 September 2019, 13:59:02 »
PCBs are confirmed with Nachie, they are a 21 day lead time, so that should perfectly coincide with when the printing of these finishes. I'll be running these in the 4 colors that the ADK64 R1 was, so that people can have a matching set.

I've yet to hear back from Belle about running the ADK64, but some prior emails indicate she is doing some printer repair, and will be running the PLA75 of mine first - so I will do vouchers that guarantee a spot in the ADK64 R2 GB. Since that one will probably be a little farther out I'll have some time to move it from a tray mount to a top mount. Regardless, if you want both, you'll get an ADK64.

I'll be doing FR4 plates for this GB, rather than printed ones. They're way less brittle, and that saves me a few hours of printing time for each case. I'll offer a standard MX and Alps type layout.

So yeah, basically just waiting on Belle's word about the ADK64 and for filament to arrive. Expect a GB any day now.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 13:51:58 »
All ready to go. GB thread will be made this evening, form will be open tomorrow by 8:30 PST. $75/kit, shipping will be invoiced separately. 50 spots, 4 colors, 2 plate types. The price was a little higher than originally quoted in the earlier post because I didn't realize how expensive beige filament is compared to translucent.

Lead time should be less than a month, so everything should be shipped before Halloween.

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] ADK18 Numpad - GB tomorrow
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 17 September 2019, 10:29:46 »
Just waiting on mods to approve GB thread  :cool:

In the meantime, the form is on my Instagram:

https://instagram.com/rndkbd

(Autocorrect got the best of me earlier... Link should work now)
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 September 2019, 16:47:09 by ReDsNoTDeAd »

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Re: [IC] ADK18 Numpad - GB is Live!
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 18 September 2019, 10:16:38 »