Author Topic: Decided on Topre Realforce 103U for home desktop  (Read 2007 times)

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
Decided on Topre Realforce 103U for home desktop
« on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 03:13:04 »
Yes. So after much debate and internal struggle, I think I've finally decided on shelling out the money to get the Topre Realforce 103U(B?) for my main desktop usage at home. I think it's worth it, as it will be my primary keyboard for years and years to come. I don't have any shortage of desk space, so I'll go with the full size model. Still on the fence between black or white. I like the look of the white one better, but the black one will match my computer area better (black monitors, black mouse, etc.). Anyone want to comment on the looks of black or white?

And I think that will be the last keyboard I'll purchase for a long time. I was considering getting a keyboard for use at work when I start this summer, but I might just forget about that and suck it up. I'll be sharing an office with someone anyway, so it might not be the best idea. Although, I may get tempted when the paychecks start rolling in to get a tenkeyless brown...

I have yet to try Cherry Brown keys. I had a Filco Blue Tenkeyless, and I absolutely LOVED it (recently sold it to another member here, hope he's enjoying it as much as I did). I miss it quite a bit. I'm using a Model M for now, as I'm in between keyboards (this is my base keyboard, it's always there for me when I need it, never breaks, very loyal). I'm worried I won't like Browns as much, but I ought to try them at some point. Any input on going from Blues to Browns?

Also, any last attempts to convince me not to buy the Realforce? I have a couple weeks until I start my new job, probably won't get it until then anyway.

Offline slueth

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 03:28:29 »
I love all switches mentioned above. I think you should get all of em! <3  There is a cheap topre(cheaper then retail) in the classifieds, I feel bad for trolling their posts so I guess I will advertise for em.

Offline nhwhaup

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 03:56:45 »
Quote from: slueth;341917
I love all switches mentioned above. I think you should get all of em! <3  There is a cheap topre(cheaper then retail) in the classifieds, I feel bad for trolling their posts so I guess I will advertise for em.

I have a black variable weight 103UB for sale.  I used it very sparingly for less than three weeks and put it back away in the box. It is in immaculate condition and perfectly clean with absolutely no shininess on the keys. I love the feel and sound of the topres but for me, my keyboard tray at home doesn't allow for both a full sized keyboard and a mouse so I've ordered a tenkeyless Realforce and a separate number pad for when I'm working on spreadsheets. So for me topres absolutely yes - full sized no.  My asking price is $200 which includes shipping within the US.  if you have interest send me a PM.

nhwhazup
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 May 2011, 03:58:48 by nhwhaup »
Current in order of preference:  RealForce 87U Silent White with variable weighted keys X 2, Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless with Linear Reds, Filco Number-pad, Poker with Linear Reds

Sold or returned:  Multiple Microsoft and Logitech keyboards, Das Keyboard Silent, Cherry 6140, RealForce 103UB, RealForce 86U, Filco Majestouch 2 full sized with Linear Reds

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 12:47:04 »
I'd love to get all of them, but unfortunately my budget doesn't support that right now =(

Maybe someday after I invent the next Facebook, I'll buy every keyswitch type ever made!

But until then, I've got to be picky.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 20:57:22 »
Aaaand... I'm having doubts again =)

I'm thinking of instead getting a tenkeyless Brown. The Filco 2s are going for about $140 and tax on Amazon, and I was thinking of pimping it out with that group buy Blue on Dark Grey ( http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?17590-MO-Blue-on-Gray-Dark-Gray ), which looks so slick.

Buuut... I feel like I'm always going to wonder what the Topres would have been like. Sigh.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 21:10:54 »
topres are the bombbbbb.

I love it more than my past brown board, but I can't stand the feel of browns.

You won't regret it! unless you don't like it.

Be wary, topres apparently aren't selling well
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 May 2011, 21:15:27 »
Actually, the more I look at that sexy picture of those keycaps, the more sure I am that I'm going to go with the Filco for now and get an order of those pretty, pretty keycaps.

Topre can wait, maybe I'll pick one up over the Summer when I've got some more cash rolling in, but for now I think I'm set on the Cherry Browns. Going with the tenkeyless, maybe I'll be able to bring it into work with me, we'll see. If I can, I'll have an excuse to leave it at work and buy the Realforce for home =)

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 00:27:45 »
And, I did it. Ordered the Filco from here: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WOF7QM for $140 shipped.

Placed an order in the group buy thread for those blue on grey keycaps.

If I find a good deal on the Topres this summer, I may pick it up, but otherwise I think I'm done with keyboard purchases for this year. Last year I got my first Cherry switch, the blue; this year I'm trying the brown. Maybe Topres are for next year. =)

Offline Keylamity

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 22:40:17 »
nooooooo!  Too late.  

I own a cherry blue now, but have been on my brown for a while at home, using my Topre 86U at work and there is just nothing that feels like typing on a Topre. There is simply a sense of engineered quality that.....ahh what's the point now. Enjoy the browns.

Offline MadSage

• Herr Dandia!
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 02:53:19 »
Oh well. I know I always wanted to try Browns, as it was pretty much a toss up between Browns and Blues last year when I was buying my last Filco, and Blues won that time. So I think I owe it to the Browns.

Don't worry, though, I'm sure I'll be typing on Topres before long anyway. I just need to figure out the right one to get as well, between the Realforce 103, 86/87, or HHKB. If I end up absolutely hating the Browns, I may sell the Filco and get a HHKB, so I can still have a smaller, portable keyboard. If I love it, I may keep the Filco, and eventually get a 103U for home, but that may not be for some time. We'll just have to wait and see.

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 11 May 2011, 13:10:14 »
the switch is okay on topres, its dem keycaps that keeps me coming back for more

GAH
AF | Ducky YOTD |