Author Topic: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK  (Read 222987 times)

Offline YiZZo

Re: [GB] Melody96 Type-C + QMK
« Reply #600 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 23:49:44 »
I am order 236 with gray top and acrylic bottom and I just received my package. It seems that I received my package (11) before the tracking (14). Well looks like I will need to buy a soldering iron now

looks like you're a luckygamer today, lol. man...im order 248 and I got the same color and bottom as you. I hope mine comes in soon

Offline unluckygamer

« Reply #601 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 23:54:04 »
I think yours should be shipped by now. Considering that mine was already delivered the 11 yet I just received the tracking information.

Offline boytuhog

« Reply #602 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 08:09:49 »
Hey, I have two boards and one of them isn't recognize. The bottom leds light up but shorting the pcb doesn't register anything. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #603 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 08:13:34 »
Is there a tutorial some where that shows how to test your pcb?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline boytuhog

« Reply #604 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 08:30:05 »

I just use http://www.keyboardtester.com and individually short the keys. It should register each key press. But one of my boards isn't recognize by my OS. Hopefully someone can help me.

Offline boytuhog

« Reply #605 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 08:45:00 »
Hey, I have two boards and one of them isn't recognize. The bottom leds light up but shorting the pcb doesn't register anything. Any help would be appreciated.

After some playing around, I finally found my problem. The board has a problem with usb connector. Does anyone had the same problem?

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #606 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 13:08:43 »
Are the stabilizers plate mounted or PCB mounted?
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline azachhh

« Reply #607 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 15:03:39 »
Are the stabilizers plate mounted or PCB mounted?

PCB.

Offline vonswoopington

« Reply #608 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 15:38:40 »
TGR 910 Polycarb | TGR Alice | TGR Unikorn | Lyn EM-7 | VE.A | Kyuu | E7-V1

Offline Artist

• A Fine Architect to be!
« Reply #609 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 07:36:07 »
I'm trying to use the QMK Toolbox to flash in new hex, but it said "there's no device available," probably because I didn't put the pcb into reset mode.

What's the default way to do this?

Tks !

Edited: nevermind, i found the reset button on bottom of the PCB!
« Last Edit: Sat, 16 June 2018, 07:38:25 by Artist »

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #610 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:45:36 »
I'm trying to use the QMK Toolbox to flash in new hex, but it said "there's no device available," probably because I didn't put the pcb into reset mode.

What's the default way to do this?

Tks !

Edited: nevermind, i found the reset button on bottom of the PCB!

Push the button on the pcb 

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #611 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:46:07 »

After some playing around, I finally found my problem. The board has a problem with usb connector. Does anyone had the same problem?

Board is Type-c, What you mean exactly for USB? 

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #612 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 14:47:58 »

Just use a metallic clips.  Once you touch the pads of the pcb with it, the key will register. When it doesn't, check first if that key is setted on the keymap   

Offline unluckygamer

« Reply #613 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:12:21 »
Well I have the keyboard on hand. First and foremost their is so much tape on the box which is good, but dam it was really difficult trying to open the package without a knife. It looks like I received all the things I ordered from the titanium gray top and plate with an acrilyc bottom and my gateron yellow that I dont plan on using anymore. Also one question, I did not see any kind of standoff. Does the PCB basically hang from the plate?

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #614 on: Sat, 16 June 2018, 16:24:21 »
Well I have the keyboard on hand. First and foremost their is so much tape on the box which is good, but dam it was really difficult trying to open the package without a knife. It looks like I received all the things I ordered from the titanium gray top and plate with an acrilyc bottom and my gateron yellow that I dont plan on using anymore. Also one question, I did not see any kind of standoff. Does the PCB basically hang from the plate?

Yes, no standoffs, the system of the melody is called top-mount (Plate mounted on top part of the case and pcb hold by the the plate+switches), which is usually considered better than the basic keyboard with standoffs.  A top mount keyboard usually sounds better. 

Offline MacGruber117

« Reply #615 on: Sun, 17 June 2018, 07:25:16 »
Can anyone see something wrong with the PCB in the picture below?

I've tested all my keys and the 2 on the number pad will not work. The 1 and 3 on either side of it works. I tried reflashing and that did not fix it. The key in question has the bandaid fabric showing thru the center hole. I think the diode is a little crooked, but would that cause the key not to register?

EDIT: It was the diode, I touched the diode with another piece of metal while I shorted the pad and I got it to work. So, all I have to do was straighten it out on the pad and add a bit more solder
« Last Edit: Mon, 18 June 2018, 06:44:49 by MacGruber117 »
I want to buy your ETF and Garbo Pusses. PM me

Offline Electrum

« Reply #616 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:15:01 »
Order 241/242, see people around my order # already getting theirs. I still don't even have tracking.
Who else with acrylic bottom around my number range is waiting? Just wondering if I should email vincent or wait a bit more.

Offline spyruf

« Reply #617 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:25:49 »
Got email to confirm address a few days ago (Invoice # 270).

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #618 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:52:58 »
I'm 248 with acrylic bottom. Still no tracking.

Offline Electrum

« Reply #619 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 19:59:31 »
Got email to confirm address a few days ago (Invoice # 270).

I'm 248 with acrylic bottom. Still no tracking.

Looks like I'll play the waiting game a bit more.  :thumb:

Offline connor4312

« Reply #620 on: Mon, 18 June 2018, 20:41:43 »
Order 241/242, see people around my order # already getting theirs. I still don't even have tracking.
Who else with acrylic bottom around my number range is waiting? Just wondering if I should email vincent or wait a bit more.

178 with black top and acrylic bottom, still waiting anxiously :) But I also got it assembled (ordered before I had a good soldering station and hated soldering)

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #621 on: Tue, 19 June 2018, 15:58:55 »
Having some issues programming this thing.

Any good general troubleshooting guides?

Tested the PCB, everything worked fine.  Soldered my switches, fired up keyboard tester and most of the keys were fine except a couple that registered multiple keypresses.

Flashed according to instructions and now I just get repeating 555555555s a functioning Win key and Alt-Tab, everything else doesn't register on KeyboardTester

Any suggestions?

Offline merlin64

• MechMerlin
« Reply #622 on: Wed, 20 June 2018, 12:10:42 »
Have you tried using QMK Configurator? https://config.qmk.fm/#/melody96/LAYOUT

Offline fdt

« Reply #623 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 18:12:53 »

Having an issue, I think I can piggy back off of this.  Want to program my board, but the .json that 'comes with' the board + the config on the link you posted is different than my board. 

Not my board but the same layout: https://imgur.com/a/CDFBvqT

Sorry probably an easy fix but i'm a bit noob, any tips?  Thanks.

Offline superuser41

« Reply #624 on: Thu, 21 June 2018, 19:16:07 »

Having an issue, I think I can piggy back off of this.  Want to program my board, but the .json that 'comes with' the board + the config on the link you posted is different than my board. 

Not my board but the same layout: https://imgur.com/a/CDFBvqT

Sorry probably an easy fix but i'm a bit noob, any tips?  Thanks.

The layout includes every possible switch position - you just need to map the ones that you care about. For things like numpad +/enter it's easy to just double those keycodes, your right alt/ctrl are slightly more tricky because two of the three keys in that area are the correct ones to map - I would try mapping it as alt, ctrl, ctrl and see if that is correct.

Offline dpm

« Reply #625 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 10:10:20 »
I got my board yesterday (M240).  Yay.

I originally ordered the acrylic bottom, but upgraded to metal in the hopes of getting my board sooner.  That was mistake - I think that it's a shame to hide the RGB LEDs on the underside of the board.

I opted for building it myself (I already had a stash of my preferred switch ready to go).  Now I think that was also a mistake - I've already spent way too much time on assembling.

Even worse, I now have a problem with the board not working.  When I plug it in, the LEDs (i.e. the monochrome LEDs on the switches) blink 7 times, and then turn off.

Does anyone know of where I can figure out what this might mean?  Or have any suggestions on how I could go about debugging the problem?  Is there documentation available for the melody96 board?  Schematics?

Offline superuser41

« Reply #626 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 12:15:20 »

I originally ordered the acrylic bottom, but upgraded to metal in the hopes of getting my board sooner.  That was mistake - I think that it's a shame to hide the RGB LEDs on the underside of the board.

I opted for building it myself (I already had a stash of my preferred switch ready to go).  Now I think that was also a mistake - I've already spent way too much time on assembling.

Even worse, I now have a problem with the board not working.  When I plug it in, the LEDs (i.e. the monochrome LEDs on the switches) blink 7 times, and then turn off.

Does anyone know of where I can figure out what this might mean?  Or have any suggestions on how I could go about debugging the problem?  Is there documentation available for the melody96 board?  Schematics?

You should post some high-res pictures of your PCB. Look over specifically the area around the USB-C port and the microcontroller for potential shorts as well.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #627 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 18:03:59 »
Well i picked up a melody second hand and the packing was insufficent so the top case got ruined, if anyone has one in any color im looking. :(

Offline m4us

• regretting ISO User
« Reply #628 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 18:20:30 »
i might have a top case left that i can part with.

Offline Jkush463

« Reply #629 on: Fri, 22 June 2018, 20:27:53 »
i might have a top case left that i can part with.
Im interested, shot you a pm.

Offline dpm

« Reply #630 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 10:48:57 »

You should post some high-res pictures of your PCB. Look over specifically the area around the USB-C port and the microcontroller for potential shorts as well.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a short of some sort.  Actually, it's like a floating tiny bit of solder, because the problem is intermittent.  Good suggestion to look specifically at the microcontroller and USB-C, I've use an air can liberally on the board but didn't focus on those areas.

The problem is likely my own damn fault.  I bent a pin on one of the switches and had to unsolder and remove it.  I didn't have a solder sucker, so I tried to use the air can to clear the solder out of the pin hole.  Worse, I actually have a solder sucker, and found it hiding in a tool box later.  :-(

But assembling and soldering took me far too long, in the future I'll try and focus on boards with my preferred switch (speed copper = was not available in this drop), removable switches (so that I can put in my own switch), or already assembled.

I have a Planck rev 5 on order that should arrive next month, and that's got removable switches, yay!

Once I stopped messing with the keyboard, and got it working on my desk (typing on it now), then I've discovered that I like it a LOT.  So it has all worked out well so far.  Next I need to start learning QMK.

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #631 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 12:06:31 »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I have a short of some sort.  Actually, it's like a floating tiny bit of solder, because the problem is intermittent.  Good suggestion to look specifically at the microcontroller and USB-C, I've use an air can liberally on the board but didn't focus on those areas.

The problem is likely my own damn fault.  I bent a pin on one of the switches and had to unsolder and remove it.  I didn't have a solder sucker, so I tried to use the air can to clear the solder out of the pin hole.  Worse, I actually have a solder sucker, and found it hiding in a tool box later.  :-(

But assembling and soldering took me far too long, in the future I'll try and focus on boards with my preferred switch (speed copper = was not available in this drop), removable switches (so that I can put in my own switch), or already assembled.

I have a Planck rev 5 on order that should arrive next month, and that's got removable switches, yay!

Once I stopped messing with the keyboard, and got it working on my desk (typing on it now), then I've discovered that I like it a LOT.  So it has all worked out well so far.  Next I need to start learning QMK.

Another thing I noticed (Since I'm having problems with mine as well) is that I must have not put in the screws straight enough at the beginning and now I've got a little bit of powder coat dust around the inside.  Now that I've taken the board out some of the problems have stopped, and I can see more clearly the issues that can probably be solved by a resoldered switch.  So yeah, check the inside edges!

Offline YiZZo

« Reply #632 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 17:02:09 »
I got a text from DHL Express today that I have an expected delivery Tuesday coming from ONE VILLAGE. Is this my Melody? You guys got a message like this too?

Offline Dennyroxsox

• a.k.a. Lollipopsaurus
« Reply #633 on: Sat, 23 June 2018, 17:25:38 »
I got a text from DHL Express today that I have an expected delivery Tuesday coming from ONE VILLAGE. Is this my Melody? You guys got a message like this too?

I received the same email, so I'd assume so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boytuhog

« Reply #634 on: Sun, 24 June 2018, 18:56:39 »
I've got everything working on my boards.

Currently playing with the QMK configurator. I've checked the reference, and FN seems to be depreciated. Any one can point me which key I should use for FN? Thanks.

Offline vincent88928

• Have Fun Everywhere
    • YMDK
« Reply #635 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 02:13:03 »
Has anyone from 200+ acrylic order received their melody?

241/242, still waiting.
Should arrive these days.Soldered ones has around 20 not shipped
Have Fun Everywhere

Offline Dovan1405

« Reply #636 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 07:31:38 »

241/242, still waiting.

Hi vincent,
Any updates on how long more till the extras are available? Will there be a lot of units for grab?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Electrum

« Reply #637 on: Mon, 25 June 2018, 07:42:57 »

241/242, still waiting.

Yes got my tracking sometime this past weekend and says out for delivery today. Thanks for everything!

Offline SakeJams

• HAPPINESS ONLY REAL WHEN SHARED
« Reply #638 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 16:05:41 »
Anyone else having a problem with their PCB? I bought one for myself and a buddy bought one for him and in both cases there are certain switches that either press the wrong switch, press multiple switched at once or don't register any keys at all. Is there something that needs to be done here or did I get 2 broken PCBs?

Offline PttrnRcgntn

« Reply #639 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 18:12:30 »
Anyone else having a problem with their PCB? I bought one for myself and a buddy bought one for him and in both cases there are certain switches that either press the wrong switch, press multiple switched at once or don't register any keys at all. Is there something that needs to be done here or did I get 2 broken PCBs?

Dealing with similar problems.

Major issues are the first 8 numbers

"e" outputs qwert

"Enter" outputs both brackets

down, up, and a few others

Got frustrated, set it aside, going to clean up the pcb with some isopropyl and resolder a few switches see what happens.

I had more errors when I mounted it to the top plate, not sure if it's powdercoat dust that got chipped off by the mounting screws or if it's shorting on the metal somewhere.

Offline Twist3d

« Reply #640 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 13:27:56 »
I did not have any issues with either of the PCB's that I ordered, but after using one of them for a week now, just today I did start to have an odd issues.  When I start typing it isn't registering everything, almost like the board is lagging.  IE when I type "They eventually get to" this is what comes out: "Thyeetualgto ".

If I use the other keyboard plugged into the PC it works flawlessly so it isn't the PC, its this board.  If I unplug and re-plug it in, it works fine again for awhile.

Offline akryl9296

« Reply #641 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:57:15 »
Any news on shipping?

Offline truong3016

« Reply #642 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 22:22:20 »
finally  :D
198776-0
198778-1
198780-2

Offline Bubblegum

« Reply #643 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 11:11:55 »
Any news on shipping?

Also curious about this! I'm worried it'll ship and arrive just as I go on vacation and won't be able to pick it up.

Offline runsamok

« Reply #644 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 16:50:17 »
I'm M271 & I was told mine might go out next week sometime. I'm a Kit 3 that took someone else's place though, so I'm not sure how that affects my spot in the line.

Offline akryl9296

« Reply #645 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 14:52:22 »
I'm M271 & I was told mine might go out next week sometime. I'm a Kit 3 that took someone else's place though, so I'm not sure how that affects my spot in the line.

What colors? If that even matters...

Offline runsamok

« Reply #646 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 15:19:38 »

What colors? If that even matters...

Titanium grey

Offline Mustangdvx

« Reply #647 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 16:13:25 »
Does anyone have an extra PCB they're willing to part with?

Offline iamactuallyalion

« Reply #648 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 19:51:45 »
Order M202 here. First time posting and first group buy as well. I've been keeping an eye on this thread for a while and I've spoken with Vincent a couple of times since he reached out in May regarding the acrylic bottom. Said he'd update me with tracking but that's been a couple of weeks now. I guess at this point when it shows up it shows up.

Edit: It looks like he actually emailed me again today but I missed it initially. He's wanting to confirm my layout (again?) so I guess my order is still a long way from getting to me. ):
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 June 2018, 21:40:40 by iamactuallyalion »

Offline akryl9296

« Reply #649 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 02:29:30 »
Order M202 here. F [...]
Edit: It looks like he actually emailed me again today but I missed it initially. He's wanting to confirm my layout (again?) so I guess my order is still a long way from getting to me. ):

Did you have soldering service bought with it? That may delay it a fair bit I guess. For my order Vincent told me there's no need to pick layout since it's not being soldered on his side