Author Topic: Children giving out free lemonade is destroying America  (Read 58566 times)

Offline wellington1869

Children giving out free lemonade is destroying America
« Reply #150 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 16:47:09 »
Quote from: ch_123;202725
I dunno. Random bombings of Cambodia and the like were a bit hazy.

What about Iraq? Think that was cool?

so unless a nation is 100% perfect, you think they're the same as al queda? Yea, thats rational.

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

using: ms 7000/Das 3

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #151 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 16:49:59 »
Perhaps I was being hyperbolic, but at the end of the day, it's all pointless killing that never possibly served any rational good.

And Vietnam? That was a barrel of lulz... US aircraft dropping bombs on villages that were suspected of being pro-communist? Great proxy war that was.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 16:58:11 »
Quote from: ch_123;202730
Perhaps I was being hyperbolic,

ya i think you were

but at the end of the day, it's all pointless killing that never possibly served any rational good.

disagree! There is such a thing as a just war. we can argue about what it is, what its parameters are, but it seems pretty obvious to me that no good life, no utopian society, can exist without a philosophy of defense, a need for defense, which will necessitate violence. and yes, killing.  The trick is on what basis such state violence is justified and what mechanisms of ongoing accountability are in place and how robust such mechanisms are. But that is a different discussion from simply declaring all violence as "equal". No, all violence is not equal, by any stretch of the imagination. The simple moral question of what constitutes self defense immediately raises a host of problematics on that issue. These dont have easy answers, but its still a far cry from declaring that "all violence is the same". no, its not!

And Vietnam? That was a barrel of lulz... US aircraft dropping bombs on villages that were suspected of being pro-communist? Great proxy war that was.

again, you're simply being hyperbolic if you hold up My Lai as emblematic of the entire war. I know its very popular on the left to do this; that the left has done this is actually an index of just how much dissent is welcomed in the american public sphere compared to other nations.  My Lai is acknowledged today by virtually all sides as a mistake - for which, strangely, america gets no credit for such difficult acknowledging. NOr was My Lai emblematic of the whole war. The fact is the chinese and the russians had an equal stake in south asia at that time, equally fed the conflagration on the ground, equally guilty of massacres and creating puppet dictatorships which in most cases far exceeded the brutality of any party the americans supported. (I doubt i'll ever see you get into a huff about Pol Pot - there was a barrel of lulz).  Its a little too easy - way too easy - to take american actions in vietnam out of their cold war contexts; and downright ridiculous to equate those actions to imperial religious terrorism.

I see that what it comes down for you is that all violence is "the same" and hence you can make these de-contextualized reductions and equations and relativism. Unfortunately its that kind of relativism that is infecting most of the Left today (a left of which i'm a part but i reject such decontextualized relativism). Nor will I  make the easy assumption that unless one is "perfect" then one cant criticize others. Thats just another easy way out of the difficult questions.

With all our problems, whats amazing about america is the continued robustness of our checks and balances system (including regime change at home - remember, Obama was in fact elected here). The kind of robustness that on a daily basis far exceeds anything you will find in these leftist and rightist dictatorships that populate the world today. And yes, the american system is better by virtually any index you can think of. And deserves a robust defense in every sense of that word.

What i'd like to see eliminated is the petty ease with which other western citizens - canadians, europeans - sharing those democratic values with america, in such close economic, political, social ties with america,  harp and bray mindlessly about how evil america is. As compared with whom? Al queda? For goodness sake, dont lose  your most basic sense of perspective in your rush to jump on the tottering america-bashing habit that your left indulges in simply because it can.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:08:21 by wellington1869 »

"Blah blah blah grade school blah blah blah IBM PS/2s blah blah blah I like Model Ms." -- Kishy

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #153 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:10:47 »
But what was it all about? I'm sure there was some sort of "It seemed like a good idea at the time" rationale to Vietnam... but Iraq?

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:21:01 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202705
yes, because canada is like the US minus about 20 years :)  Oh and you offload your national defense to us :)  Must be nice to have big brother protecting you all the time ;)

Protect from what?
Typing on blues.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #155 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:25:44 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;202741
Protect from what?

Children who give out free lemonade, of course.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:29:42 »
What is it that Canadians need protection from again? Falling maple trees?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:31:51 »
Quote from: ch_123;202737
But what was it all about? I'm sure there was some sort of "It seemed like a good idea at the time" rationale to Vietnam... but Iraq?

I dont think you understand vietnam at all. We got involved in vietnam because the chinese were funding and arming an incredibly violent revolutionary force in vietnam. Thats a fact; look it up. (First the russians did, then the chinese did -- dont forget by then the russians and chinese wer locked in their own competition for domination of asia. Somehow that fact doesnt ever come into the euro-leftist imagination of the world). The qeustion for vietnam was not whether the world should respond to that; the question was how should it respond to that. In korea, just a decade earlier, you'll remember the UN got invovled under very similar circumstances.  In the case of vietnam, the UN dragged its feet and the US did not want its democratic ally in vietnam to be left to be slaughtered in the face of Maoist arms and funding.
The only question was how we were going to help, not whether. To have done nothing would have been even more foolish; as foolish as not getting involved in rwanda or bosnia.
The ongoing problem with our involvement in vietnam began and ended with the *wavering* of commitment on the part of the american govt. They should have defined their goals and committments clearly up front. All our problems came directly or indirectly from not having done that up front. There are complex reasons why that was not done, which are clearer in retrospect.

as far as iraq, i agree that iraq was a mistake because the real war was (and is) in afghanistan-pakistan on the one hand and in the continuing effort to modernize middle eastern countries like saudi arabia, iran, and yemen, and asian countries like pakistan, burma, and north korea. As far as the 9/11 attacks tho the focus should have been afghanistan from day one.  Iraq distracted attention and resources from that, and that was a huge mistake. It also cost america a lot of world support which we had in the days following 9/11, and again that was bush's idiocy.

Afghanistan is the focus and should have been. Iraq was bush's idiocy. Americans rejected it when they elected Obama. So I'm not sure I follow your argument. What is it you'd like to "conclude about america" based on bush and iraq then?  Now that we're in iraq, however, I support the conversion of that former dictatorship into a democracy, a process that will be as painfully slow as it will be in any other of the dictatorships around the world, all of which will either eventually convert to democracy or remain incredibly volatile loose canons that will try to obtain nukes and try to hold the whole world hostage.  Iraq is already on an alternate history path because of that (mistaken) invasion. The outcome remains uncertain, but there are as many signs of hope (including islamic sects who couldnt stand each other, today being officialy part of the same government; including the start of an electoral process for the country) as there are signs of hopelessness (continuing animosity between the islamist and warlord-style factions, continued infiltration by iranian and alqueda terrorists, continued tensions with turkey, etc). But yes, I was against iraq and still am.

But my point is: what is it you're concluding by pointing to iraq? You think its emblematic? and of what?!  Thats where you go off the rails, forget your history, and become an absurd relativist.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:41:29 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #158 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:38:46 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;202741
Protect from what?

i dont know; what does europe need protection from that they participated in NATO? I imagine canada had the same concerns. What is it NATO is being reconfigured to fight today? I imagine Canada has similar concerns. But you know, what do I know about history. Canada is apparenty some kind of smurf-land where nothing ever goes wrong and keebler elves innocently make cookies while living in trees. Its not part of the real political world, is it? nah.

indeed, what is this historical relationship america has had with these countries? I mean, europe was perfectly capable of fighting wwII on its own, right? And rebuilding its economy afterwards? (whatever you do, dont look up 'marshall plan' on wikipedia). Nah, there are no defense interests that europe or canada might want to offload (and historically did offload) onto america. Nope.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:43:41 by wellington1869 »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:43:24 »
It will be if the Conservatards have their way.

I for one like the idea of being the big friendly country on top of the US that nobody hates, but I seem to be in some kind of minority.
kishy.ca

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:43:36 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202746
I dont think you understand vietnam at all. We got involved in vietnam because the chinese were funding and arming an incredibly violent revolutionary force in vietnam. Thats a fact; look it up. (First the russians did, then the chinese did -- dont forget by then the russians and chinese wer locked in their own competition for domination of asia. Somehow that fact doesnt ever come into the euro-leftist imagination of the world). The qeustion for vietnam was not whether the world should respond to that; the question was how should it respond to that. In korea, just a decade earlier, you'll remember the UN got invovled under very similar circumstances.  In the case of vietnam, the UN dragged its feet and the US did not want its democratic ally in vietnam to be left to be slaughtered in the face of Maoist arms and funding.
The only question was how we were going to help, not whether. To have done nothing would have been even more foolish; as foolish as not getting involved in rwanda or bosnia.
The ongoing problem with our involvement in vietnam began and ended with the *wavering* of commitment on the part of the american govt. They should have defined their goals and committments clearly up front. All our problems came directly or indirectly from not having done that up front. There are complex reasons why that was not done, which are clearer in retrospect.

as far as iraq, i agree that iraq was a mistake because the real war was (and is) in afghanistan-pakistan on the one hand and in the continuing effort to modernize middle eastern countries like saudi arabia, iran, and yemen, and asian countries like pakistan, burma, and north korea. As far as the 9/11 attacks tho the focus should have been afghanistan from day one.  Iraq distracted attention and resources from that, and that was a huge mistake. It also cost america a lot of world support which we had in the days following 9/11, and again that was bush's idiocy.

Afghanistan is the focus and should have been. Iraq was bush's idiocy. Americans rejected it when they elected Obama. So I'm not sure I follow your argument. What is it you'd like to "conclude about america" based on bush and iraq then?  Now that we're in iraq, however, I support the conversion of that former dictatorship into a democracy, a process that will be as painfully slow as it will be in any other of the dictatorships around the world, all of which will either eventually convert to democracy or remain incredibly volatile loose canons that will try to obtain nukes and try to hold the whole world hostage.  Iraq is already on an alternate history path because of that (mistaken) invasion. The outcome remains uncertain, but there are as many signs of hope (including islamic sects who couldnt stand each other, today being officialy part of the same government; including the start of an electoral process for the country) as there are signs of hopelessness (continuing animosity between the islamist and warlord-style factions, continued infiltration by iranian and alqueda terrorists, continued tensions with turkey, etc). But yes, I was against iraq and still am.

But my point is: what is it you're concluding by pointing to iraq? You think its emblematic? and of what?!  Thats where you go off the rails, forget your history, and become an absurd relativist.

"Iraq was a complete screw up that made no sense. What is your point?"

You answered your own question.

About Vietnam - my understanding was that the main reason for invasion was the fear of the spread of communism, which never happened.

People arming dangerous rebel armies? So you're saying the Russians should have invaded South America so? =P
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:48:08 by ch_123 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #161 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:47:27 »
Quote from: ch_123;202750

not at all, i'm still waiting to hear what you think it represents? I figure you have one of three answer to the question:

1. "iraq means that america cant criticize anyone else cuz it made a mistake." Bull****.

2. "iraq means america always bombs innocent countries". Bull**** on multiple levels, including the claim of iraq as innocent in any way. I can disagree with the decision to invade without mindlessly romanticizing the situation in iraq before the invasion. It *was* a dictatorship and a horribly brutal one and *was* a loose canon as it showed in the first gulf war when iraq pretty randomly invaded kuwait. (which for some curious reason Ch will refuse to get into a huff about).

3. "iraq means all violence is the same and america is the same as al queda". Off the rails on the crazy train, with a cartoonishly relativistic understanding of morality and history, both.

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:49:23 »
Welly - private messages!
kishy.ca

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #163 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:49:54 »
Quote from: kishy;202749

I for one like the idea of being the big friendly country on top of the US that nobody hates, but I seem to be in some kind of minority.

:) everyone loves canada -- but my point is, you get to be big fat cuddly bear of a nation precisely because canada offloads a lot of the difficult world-political questions to its guard dog neighbor to its south.

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:53:08 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202751
1. "iraq means that america cant criticize anyone else cuz it made a mistake." Bull****.

My point is that America has a funny habit of doing things that it criticizes others (and even bombs sometimes) for doing. But hey, that's what countries like America have done throughout history, it's nothing personal. I just don't buy the "America as savior of the world" dream.

2. "iraq means america always bombs innocent countries". Bull**** on multiple levels, including the claim of iraq as innocent in any way. I can disagree with the decision to invade without mindlessly romanticizing the situation in iraq before the invasion. It *was* a dictatorship and a horribly brutal one and *was* a loose canon as it showed in the first gulf war when iraq pretty randomly invaded kuwait. (which for some curious reason Ch will refuse to get into a huff about).

I dont recall Iraq invading many countries after the Gulf War, with no small part due to the fact that their ability to invade their neighbors didn't exist after their... entire army got blown up. But hey, I hear Germany tried to take over Europe a few times. Let's go bomb them!
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:59:13 by ch_123 »

Offline gr1m

« Reply #165 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 17:53:48 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202748
Its not part of the real political world, is it? nah.

The US milks the **** out of Canada in NAFTA, so what the **** are you on about? Canada is very much a part of world politics. Just because Canada and most Canadians don't share the American view that every nation that isn't American is an oppressed terrorist nation that deserves to have the **** freed out of it, they aren't a part of the real political world? Get your head out of your ass for a second. The US isn't some God-given liberating power.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #166 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:07:22 »
Quote from: ch_123;202750

About Vietnam - my understanding was that the main reason for invasion was the fear of the spread of communism, which never happened.

what do you call north vietnam (before the recent reconciliation) and north korea and cambodia? Good god man, consult a political map of south asia please. Been following the news in Nepal recently? Like in the last few years?And not to mention scores of continuing extremely violent 'revolutionary' groups ranging all over south and south east asia (for just two examples, look up 'naxalites' and the PKI).
not to mention the russian and chinese behemoths.
Oh yea, that whole communist fear thing, it was all in our minds.

People arming dangerous rebel armies? So you're saying the Russians should have invaded South America so? =P

actually the russians and mao funded armed movements all over south america and africa; again, at least consult wikipedia. The american involvement did not happen in a vacuum.

I'm sure you would have preferred stalinist or maoist dictatorships in these areas.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #167 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:08:54 »
Quote from: kishy;202753
Welly - private messages!

lol, i'm on it, will reply shortly :)

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:19:55 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202760
what do you call north vietnam (before the recent reconciliation) and north korea and cambodia? Good god man, consult a political map of south asia please. Been following the news in Nepal recently? Like in the last few years?And not to mention scores of continuing extremely violent 'revolutionary' groups ranging all over south and south east asia (for just two examples, look up 'naxalites' and the PKI).
not to mention the russian and chinese behemoths.
Oh yea, that whole communist fear thing, it was all in our minds.

Korea... that was the one that happened before Vietnam. Or maybe my chronology is relative!

Yeah, Cambodia. Some nasty **** happened there. But one country? Hardly the crashing of the domino effect was it?

actually the russians and mao funded armed movements all over south america and africa; again, at least consult wikipedia. The american involvement did not happen in a vacuum.

I'm sure you would have preferred stalinist or maoist dictatorships in these areas.

Very bad things happened in places like Chile and El Salvadore that were encouraged and supported by the US government, with no ambiguity as to the sort of atrocities that the people they were supporting were doing.

I have no doubts that the Russians were doing the same thing, and were doubtlessly using the opportunity to also club seals and molest children, but does that make the wanton evil that America promulgated acceptable? Think back to the school yard... "He was doing it too" never really fooled the teachers, not even the stupid ones.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:34:55 »
Also, Canadian troops fight in both Afghanistan and Iraq. What are you trying to prove?

Quote from: wellington1869;202754
:) everyone loves canada -- but my point is, you get to be big fat cuddly bear of a nation precisely because canada offloads a lot of the difficult world-political questions to its guard dog neighbor to its south.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:36:09 »
Quote from: gr1m;202763
Also, Canadian troops fight in both Afghanistan and Iraq. That renders the point you're trying to make completely moot.

dude, does anyone take canadian troops seriously?  

;)

I dont think it makes my point 'completely moot'. There's a reason Canada doesnt have a military industrial complex today. Eisenhower was the one that made the deal with the canadian govt to *literally* outsource your defense to us, at the height of the cold war.
There was a movie made on this topic at one point, i'll see if i can remember the title.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #171 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:45:19 »
I'll just let you all dish the dirt here and laugh at what you say.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline gr1m

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:46:24 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202764

;)

I dont think it makes my point 'completely moot'. There's a reason Canada doesnt have a military industrial complex today. Eisenhower was the one that made the deal with the canadian govt to *literally* outsource your defense to us, at the height of the cold war.
There was a movie made on this topic at one point, i'll see if i can remember the title.

The one with John Candy where he invades Canada?

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:49:43 »
Quote from: gr1m;202766
The one with John Candy where he invades Canada?

hahahaah no, but that was a good documentary too ;)

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 18:52:44 »
Quote from: gr1m;202757

Its not part of the real political world, is it? nah.

The US milks the **** out of Canada in NAFTA, so what the **** are you on about? Canada is very much a part of world politics. Just because Canada and most Canadians don't share the American view that every nation that isn't American is an oppressed terrorist nation that deserves to have the **** freed out of it, they aren't a part of the real political world? Get your head out of your ass for a second. The US isn't some God-given liberating power.

dude, when I said "Its not part of the real political world, is it? nah." I was being sarcastic (the "nah." at the end is a dead giveaway, usually).

In other words, i'm saying Canada IS part of, and involved in, and has interests in, world politics.  So when mental hobbit said "defense against what?", i was saying to him, dont you think canada has interests in all the same global political things that america and europe have interests in?
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:14:12 by wellington1869 »

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
    • John Savard's Home Page
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:02:50 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202764

;)
Fortunately, you had a smiley when you said that.

Canada's overall military capabilities, being smaller than those of Luxembourg, perhaps are not in the "taken seriously" range. But the troops we have in Afghanistan are currently in the thick of the fighting - unlike those of nearly every other country there except for the U.S. itself.

Our army may not deserve to be taken seriously, but our troops do.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 19:09:25 »
Quote from: quadibloc;202772
Fortunately, you had a smiley when you said that.

believe me, i wouldnt leave the smiley out ;)  I have too much respect for canada's troops in wwI, wwII, and today.  Did you know it was a canadian infantryman who shot down the red baron in wwI? Until last year it was a canadian sniper who held the record for longest distance with a confirmed kill (something like 1.5 miles). That was in afghanistan, I believe.

incidentally, what was he doing out there in afghanistan? Oh yea, protecting canada's national interests. Just like america. Because we... have... shared... national... interests.

"Defense against what?" Indeed.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:26:28 by wellington1869 »

Offline Mental Hobbit

« Reply #177 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 20:24:19 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202760

Preferred... not really. But I don't see how they could have been any worse than those US-installed fascist dictatorships all over Latin America.

Btw, I know very well what the Marshall plan was. Both my parents were in their teens at the end of WWII, and I've never heard anything but praise for the American (and British) liberators from them or anybody else.
Typing on blues.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #178 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 21:20:51 »
Quote from: Mental Hobbit;202786
Preferred... not really. But I don't see how they could have been any worse than those US-installed fascist dictatorships all over Latin America.

Actually US installed governments have on the whole done much, much better than commie installed govts, starting with Japan and Germany post-wwii, which both today are thriving democracies and full participants in the global economy.

Look at the detritus of post USSR satellites that litter asia today. Compare.

The same can amazingly be said even about latin america. I know all about the fascist dictatorships in south america and US involvement in the proxy wars against the soviets and maoists there during the height of the cold war. No question we dealt with unsavory people in south america. But even there after the fall of the soviet union the nations in which we had influence have done better (both economically and democratically) than nations that continue down the socialist path on their own, chavez' little warlord dictatorship being a great example.  

Dabbling with unsavories doesnt make the two systems "equivalent". It just doesnt. By all means criticize the US for its mistakes; but dont pretend the two systems are the same.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #179 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 21:38:13 »
It's true that a lot of cruelty has been carried out by dictators, in Latin America and elsewhere, to which the United States was perceived as allied during the Cold War.

But I think that looking at it this way misses the overall situation.

After World War II, Russia, a totalitarian dictatorship not much different from Nazi Germany - except in being cautious instead of reckless - first obtained nuclear weapons, and then, being able to resist the United States, imposed dictatorships on the countries of Eastern Europe, preventing them from regaining freedom after emerging from Nazi occupation.

This made Russia the primary threat to the freedom of people in France, Britain, and the United States itself.

And it meant that Russia could use U.S. military intervention in one part of the world as an excuse for military intervention of its own in another. So it was important for the U.S. to respect the UN Charter - thus, because of the cold war, Nigeria's invasion of Biafra, the Idi Amin regime, or Pakistan's invasion of Bangaladesh could not be dealt with. Except in the case of Pakistan, there was no issue of the countries involved being U.S. allies.

The downfall of the Soviet Union during Ronald Reagan's presidency came as a surprise to everyone at the time. So if a Latin American country came under the control of a military junta, this was a tragedy, but one that might only last a few years. If, instead, it came under Communist control, the way Cuba did - the dictatorship there could have, for all we knew, lasted for centuries.

So, yes, even when Latin American countries were ruled by military juntas, the United States continued to help them fight insurgents who were attempting to install Communist regimes in those countries.

It had to play the hand it had. It couldn't micromanage the governments of Latin America, as that would give Russia a pretext to invade other nations. Instead, it worked to secure the best outcome - better a dictatorship that would go away after a little while than one which would sustain an iron grip indefinitely.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 22:44:19 »
the fact that we're even having this conversation is itself a mark of the difference. Try having this conversation in china. or saudi arabia. Or moscow back in the day.

thats the difference. its a huge one.

we're all critics of the US; its one way to show how much we care, to hold the US to a higher standard, to its own stated ideals enshrined in its own constitution. This nation suffers with its own right and left extremists. But to jump from the fact of an imperfect but functional democracy and simply equate the US with either left or right wing regimes and failed states around the world is beyond cartoonish.

And yet, thats what we see so commonly from our euro/canadian allies on the left, who really lose all sense of perspective, especially lately.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 22:46:52 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #181 on: Wed, 14 July 2010, 22:57:55 »
I've never heard anything but praise for the American (and British) liberators from them or anybody else.

serious question - what changed?  Is the euro-american left so confused as to the basis of its value system that we can no longer even agree that the suppression of basic freedoms (speech, religion, press, etc) is wrong? Are we so cynical -- do we have such a crisis of confidence in those values -- that we can only harp on our own governments about it but we dare not criticize others in the world for it?

obviously i have no such crisis of confidence in those values, but clearly many of my brethren on the left do. I'm curious as to why.
« Last Edit: Wed, 14 July 2010, 23:01:04 by wellington1869 »

Offline gr1m

« Reply #182 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:00:30 »
Quote from: wellington1869;202823
serious question - what changed?

There are no more Hitlers.

Offline quadibloc

• Layout Fanatic
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:30:47 »
Quote from: gr1m;202917
Wouldn't Brezhnev have done? Won't Osama bin Laden do?

Or does Europe actually have to be occupied first, before people realize that, yes, America's enemies really are evil, and this isn't all a lie or a hoax for the benefit of business interests that want an excuse to denounce labor unions as subversive (in the case of perceiving Communism as an enemy) or for the benefit of the Jews (deja vu!) (in the case of Osama bin Laden).

If some people are so far out of it that they find it easier to believe that 9/11 was a Reichstag fire than to let their political blinders be shaken, it's not much use talking with them.

Offline gr1m

« Reply #184 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:37:53 »
Bin Laden isn't connected to Iraq or Iran. Iraq and Iran are (were in the case of Iraq) powerful countries and the US doesn't like non-American power. Then again, I guess any country other than the US that has power is considered an evil threat right? Of course the war was for the benefit of business interests. Am I saying Bin Laden doesn't exist? No. Some of the wars the US starts are just plain stupid.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:51:06 »
We just don't like powerful nations being run by anti-American madman dictators like Saddam Hussain and whoever that crazy guy is in control of Iran.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 08:59:33 »
Around the time Iraq was invaded, Robert Mugabe was carrying out ethnic cleansing against white farmers, which in turn caused mass starvation because, well, the white farmers were the main source of food for the country.

Of course, he doesn't count because he's more anti-British than anti-American, amirite?

I'm with gr1m on this one. I don't think America is intrinsically bad, and maybe they are a net-positive force in the world. But they have a long history of doing a lot of really stupid stuff without much concern for the bigger picture.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:04:39 by ch_123 »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #187 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:23:37 »
Why are you debating whether the U.S. has the responsibility/right to be a guard dog for other countries? The argument is academic, because the U.S. doesn't look like it will have the ability to do so for much longer. Face facts. The mightiest empires rise and fall. Roman Empire - gone. British Empire - gone. U.S. Empire - on it's way out. All the signs are that China is the new manufacturing and economic powerhouse of the world. How the hell is the U.S. going to stay top dog when it has no strength at its foundation?

Take a good look at this picture. It gives a clue how the U.S. is getting too lazy for its own good.

You can't base an entire national (or global) economy on financial services.
Any country that can't make its own manhole covers is doomed to go down the sewers.

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #188 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:39:35 »
That't the city of New York that bought those manhole covers. Not the federal government.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #189 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 09:47:01 »
The purchasing decision is not the point. The lack of a competitive U.S. manufacturer is.

I found that seemingly innocent picture quite shocking. It's quite shameful when you think about it. Shipping huge chunks of steel across the oceans is cheaper than making your own? Crazy.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:51:29 »
Quote from: gr1m;202917

seems to me we have 2 dozen hitlers running around today, starting with bin laden. They've just become so common, their crimes and promises of extreme violence so extravagantly outrageous, that we've simply become innured to it.

In 1940, the weary world could still feel outrage. 50 years later we can scarcely even feel that.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:54:55 »
Quote from: Rajagra;202939
It's quite shameful when you think about it. Shipping huge chunks of steel across the oceans is cheaper than making your own? Crazy.

i've actually thought about this from time to time -- cuz our entire import-economy from China depends on shipping incredible quantities of gadgets from china and that somehow winds up being far cheaper than simply making them locally.
-Of course that was the promise of capitalism in the first place, that goods would wind up being made more cheaply in places that had (however temporarily) an economic efficiency advantage (in this case, dirt cheap labor in china, tho it wont last, already there are labor movements roiling the chinese economy).
-whats more amazing tho is how cheap shipping has become. I guess when you ship thousands of metric tons at a time with a slow propeller on those ginormous cargo ships, the per-unit cost is literally pennies. I think its those ginormous cargo ships that really made this sort of thing cost-effective for companies.
-the indians, no doubt, are thrilled to be able to export their large chunks of steel.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #192 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 10:58:21 »
Quote from: Rajagra;202934
Why are you debating whether the U.S. has the responsibility/right to be a guard dog for other countries? The argument is academic, because the U.S. doesn't look like it will have the ability to do so for much longer. Face facts. The mightiest empires rise and fall. Roman Empire - gone. British Empire - gone. U.S. Empire - on it's way out. All the signs are that China is the new manufacturing and economic powerhouse of the world. How the hell is the U.S. going to stay top dog when it has no strength at its foundation?

this is a good point as well, but just look around at the political rhetoric from the former third world dictators even today; they still pretend like they're underdogs because its politically convenient to do so. That way they can cover up their extreme expansionist aggression (and protect their dictatorial regimes from challengers at home) under a cloak of 'defense'.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #193 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:05:36 »
Quote from: gr1m;202924
Bin Laden isn't connected to Iraq or Iran. Iraq and Iran are (were in the case of Iraq) powerful countries and the US doesn't like non-American power. Then again, I guess any country other than the US that has power is considered an evil threat right? Of course the war was for the benefit of business interests. Am I saying Bin Laden doesn't exist? No. Some of the wars the US starts are just plain stupid.

every nation makes its mistakes because every nation is a collection of individuals spanning the entire political spectrum, from far left to far right. Sometimes those individuals manage to sway state policy and then bad things happen. I know of no country where this isnt true.  But thats not the point. We're talking about systems of governance. The US system (constitutional, democratic, checks and balances, elections, gauranteed basic rights, etc) -- like canada and european nations and other democracies -- is designed to provide a framework in which these imbalances can eventually balance out, depending a lot on citizen activism to do so.

This is a very different system from one-man dictatorships or theological dictatorships that litter the world today. To suggest otherwise is to not even understand what makes a democracy work.  Imperfection is expected and built in; what is prevented is any kind of sustainable dictatorship.  So far that has worked, and that system alone has worked, in the modern world; and the failed states around us (both leftist and rightist failed states) only offer proof about the extreme dangers of warlord-ism (leftist or rightist).

Like I say, to suggest that democracy has to be perfect, and if its not then its the same as al queda,  is to miss the point entirely.  No, its not the same as al queda. Reasons matter; reasons are everything. American mistakes during the cold war -- and america's aggressive participation in the cold war benefitted canada and europe tremendously, by the way -- american mistakes are not the same as expansionist theological imperialism. For an imperial theology like bin ladens, those events which youre' criticizing wouldnt even be considered mistakes.   They'd be celebrated in the streets as a great victory for (his brand of) Islam. There is no accountability in that system, no vision of tolerance, no vision of human freedom and agency; in fact, the exact opposite is what they preach.

Huge difference, built-in at ground level. If you dont see that, good god, you're on the wrong side of history.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:21:33 by wellington1869 »

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #194 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:11:12 »
Quote from: ch_123;202928
I don't think America is intrinsically bad, and maybe they are a net-positive force in the world. But they have a long history of doing a lot of really stupid stuff without much concern for the bigger picture.

i can agree with that, especially the first part. "stupid stuff" doesnt bother me in an existential way; it gets corrected internally so long as the democracy still functions. But promises (and acts) of converting the world to one's own religion through force of violence -- bothers me a great deal. It would bother any liberal worth his salt.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:16:12 by wellington1869 »

Offline gr1m

« Reply #195 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:22:47 »
I'm calling the US stupid, not calling it Al Qaeda. Why are you arguing against something that I didn't even say?

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #196 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:23:45 »
If you think we're stupid, then you're a retard.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #197 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:25:24 »
Quote from: gr1m;202976
I'm calling the US stupid, not calling it Al Qaeda. Why are you arguing against something that I didn't even say?

a) because i have yet to hear you call al queda both stupid and more dangerous than any western democratic stupidity.

why is it like pulling teeth to get you (or many euro-canadian liberals in general) to say that? and say it often cuz its the truth? Thats the psychological factor i'd like to explore in contemporary liberalism. I find it fascinating (and dangerous for the left) to be this silent on something this obvious and this important.

I think it has to do with a genuine crisis of confidence that liberals feel today in their own value system. I dont understand where that comes from. So i'm asking. Where does it come from?

b) because i'm still responding to ch's initial equation of all violence as being the same, which i totally reject. yea he walked it back a bit (credit to him for that) but i'm still responding emotionally to that -- what i consider to be an - outrageous relativism.
« Last Edit: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:27:53 by wellington1869 »

Offline gr1m

« Reply #198 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:29:32 »
Look at what happened to the US after Al Qaeda attacks, and look at what happened to Iraq after US attacks. Now tell me which one is more dangerous.

Offline wellington1869

« Reply #199 on: Thu, 15 July 2010, 11:39:36 »
Quote from: gr1m;202981
Look at what happened to the US after Al Qaeda attacks, and look at what happened to Iraq after US attacks. Now tell me which one is more dangerous.

dude, no offense, but thats the dumbest analogy ever.  Ok, look at what happened to pearl harbor after japan attacked. Look at what happened to japan after the US attacked.
Gee, you're right, the US was wrong to enter wwII and Japan should still be ruling asia today.

Dude, again no offense, i believe you're sincere, but this is way too simplistic for me. As for iraq, i've already said I think we should have focused on invading afghanistan, not iraq, we've already covered that above.

What you're doing at this point is assiduously avoiding the obvious questions, and avoiding saying what i asked you to say in (a) above.  This is the problem. So long as you refuse to say (a) in my previous post, you're on the wrong side of history as far as i'm concerned, and probably are  a moral relativist.