Author Topic: How to purchase the right Alps board  (Read 15743 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: How to purchase the right Alps board
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 16:01:32 »
White Alps click and black Alps do not. There is a world of difference, and if you like click then the black ones will not appeal to you, even if you have a smooth nice specimen.

I suspect that you will like the white switches, and if you are moderately competent with a soldering iron, you could transplant the white switches into the Dell.

It is unfortunate that the Dell is clunky and old-fashioned looking (says the old man who uses IBM Model Fs) in a not-so-good way, because it really is a superior and well-made keyboard.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 16:06:06 »
have yet to grab a bad apple alps board in any switch ;D
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Rena

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 16:07:34 »
I am a fan of the click on the whites. They feel similar to MX blues in a way but the bump is a lot more sharp on the alps, I think is the way to put it.

On this dell board not only are they heavier but the bump feels very odd, almost as if it isn't even there. I guess this one I got is bad. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do with it short of selling it. You did mention soldering the switches into this board but I'm not so sure I'm ready to do that at this point.

And I'm still looking for a cheap M0115, the salmon or orange alps look nice.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #103 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 17:04:15 »
have yet to grab a bad apple alps board in any switch ;D

I have had a least half a dozen each of AEK and AEK2. All but one of my AEK2s were good, but all but 1 of my AEKs were bad.

Bad (definition): at least one dead switch, often 3-5.

And most of them had horribly yellowed cases and spacebars.

Still, they are very well-made and sturdy. Too bad the great PBT keys have silly font in the wrong place.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline remdell

« Reply #104 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 18:27:17 »
I am a fan of the click on the whites. They feel similar to MX blues in a way but the bump is a lot more sharp on the alps, I think is the way to put it.

On this dell board not only are they heavier but the bump feels very odd, almost as if it isn't even there. I guess this one I got is bad. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do with it short of selling it. You did mention soldering the switches into this board but I'm not so sure I'm ready to do that at this point.

White ALPs are nice, but the feel of them varies keyboard to keyboard.  On my Omnikey, its white ALPs are quite soft and clicky, as if they have been slightly dampened.  On my Avant Stellar, it feels really dull and clicky, similar to dry black ALPS.  Lastly, on my Macally MK96, the ALPs have a super crunchy and clicky feel, much crunchier than MX blues.

The M0115 is great with either orange or salmon ALPs, but you'd have better luck finding them on a M0116.  Both are tactile and have a similar force to MX Blacks (on the surface of the key).
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline terrpn

• Alpha Geezer
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • - Buy Vintage -
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 04 March 2014, 19:41:27 »

White ALPs are nice, but the feel of them varies keyboard to keyboard.  On my Omnikey, its white ALPs are quite soft and clicky, as if they have been slightly dampened.  On my Avant Stellar, it feels really dull and clicky, similar to dry black ALPS.  Lastly, on my Macally MK96, the ALPs have a super crunchy and clicky feel, much crunchier than MX blues.

The M0115 is great with either orange or salmon ALPs, but you'd have better luck finding them on a M0116.  Both are tactile and have a similar force to MX Blacks (on the surface of the key).

agree............my northgate with whites is softer than my focus, but i do like them both

i do tend to insulate the bottom side of my boards given the chance which seems to reduce any ping

the old lite-on boards that had whites were pretty nice, but hard to find one in decent shape

i guess i did good in finding my aek/aek2's........it sounds like

some of the cases and space bars can be horribly yellowed
More

Luga G80-1865/MX Reds + Dolch G80-1813/MX Blues + G80-3700HQAUS + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Browns Thick PBT + DK9008G2 Pro/MX Clears Thick PBT +  QFR TKL/Ghetto Greens + Cherry G80-1800/MX Blues + IBM Model M SSK Bolt Modded + IBM Model M + IBM Model F + IBM AT F + Cherry G80-1000 (HAD)/MX Vintage Blacks + Razer BWU/MX Blues + Leading Edge DC2214/Blue Alps + Compaq MX11800/Browns + Chicony 5181/Monterey Blues + Chicony 5161/MX Black Cherry Clone + Focus 2001/White Alps + Chicony 5191/White Futabas + Olivetti ANK27-101 + Dell (Old Logo) AT101/Black Alps + NMB RT8255C+/Black Space Invaders + Unitek K260/Green Alps + Apple M0116/Orange Alps + AEK II M3501/Cream Alps + AEK M0115/Orange Alps + NEC  APC412/Blue Sliders + NEC APC410/Blue Sliders + Omnikey /White Alps + Wang/Yellow Alps (Omrons) + Laser/White SMK + Fame/Blue Aruz + AEK II M3501/Salmon Alps + Zenith ZKB-2R/Green Alps + Wang 724/Orange Alps + DK1087/Green Alps + Zenith ZKB-2/Yellow Alps + Dell Old Logo AT101/Salmon-Pink Alps + Leading Edge AK1012/White SMK's + Magitronic SK-1030/White (Linear) Futaba's + Packard Bell/White (Clicky) Futaba's + Datacomp DFK101/White  Alps + SGI AT101/Dampened White Alps + NMB AQ6RT-72511/Grey Space Invaders (Hi-Tek) + Datacomp/Blue Alps + Phillips 2812/White Space Invaders (Linear) + Dah Yang K251/Vintage MX Blues + Chicony 5161/DS Caps/Vintage MX Blue + Archie-NMB AQ659ZRT-725/Black Space Invader (Tactile) + IBM Model M 71G4644 (RD) Bolt Modded with Soarers Converter + IBM Model M Silver Label 1390131 + Cherry G80-1501/Vintage MX Clears + Focus FK8000/Linear Futabas + Gateway 2000 Anykey Programmable/Maxi-Switch + Dell GY13PVAT101/Dye Sub Caps/Salmon Alps + Chicony 5161/White Alps + AST K0B101/Slider over RD + Qtronix QX-32H + Everex/NMB RT8255CW+ Black Space Invaders-Split Erase + Tandon/NMB AQ659ZRT-101A/Beige Space Invaders + Cherry G80-11903 MNRUS/MX Blacks + Apple IIGS A9M0330/SMK Whites + WYSE PCE/MX Blacks + Chicony 5160AXT/Clicky Futaba + Cherry G80-0528/Vintage MX Blacks + Dell AT101/Linear (Modded) Black Alps+Topre 55g

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 09:50:24 »

I doubt any two of those use the same switch.

The MacAlly MK96 that I've seen uses Alps.tw Type OA2 switches, which seem to be an older variant of the Himake AK-CN2 Alps clone:

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/mac_kb_wiz_s_alps.html

The OA2 switches I've got are definitely on the stiff side. Nowhere near as bad as those in my MiniTouch, but not great:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps.tw_Type_OA2
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Hua-Jie_AK_series

The Stellar appears to use simplified Alps switches, from the photos I've found. Alps SKBM White isn't bad, but it's not as good as complicated Alps.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73068
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKBL/SKBM_series

PS it's "Alps", as in the mountain range. "ALPs" is like "EPSOn" or "SHARp". The company is Alps Electric Co., Ltd. of Japan.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline remdell

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 13:47:12 »

I doubt any two of those use the same switch.

The MacAlly MK96 that I've seen uses Alps.tw Type OA2 switches, which seem to be an older variant of the Himake AK-CN2 Alps clone:

http://sandy55.fc2web.com/keyboard/mac_kb_wiz_s_alps.html

The OA2 switches I've got are definitely on the stiff side. Nowhere near as bad as those in my MiniTouch, but not great:

http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps.tw_Type_OA2
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Hua-Jie_AK_series

The Stellar appears to use simplified Alps switches, from the photos I've found. Alps SKBM White isn't bad, but it's not as good as complicated Alps.

http://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=73068
http://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKBL/SKBM_series

PS it's "Alps", as in the mountain range. "ALPs" is like "EPSOn" or "SHARp". The company is Alps Electric Co., Ltd. of Japan.

Thanks for clearing all that up for me.  I forgot to mention that the white Alps switch can vary, so my examples are kind of bad in the respect to keyboards of the same white Alps complicated switch.    However, even when boards have the same complicated white Alps switches, the feel of them could be different from keyboard to keyboard.  As terrpn mentioned, his Omnikey is softer than his Focus.  I assume he is dealing with Alps white complicated switches on both boards.  Also, I've noticed that general condition and age may also affect the switch feel of the keyboards of the same switch and board.  I know that some of the Omnikeys (of the same model and switch) I have still feel different from one another no matter how much I cleaned them up.  I should probably get an Omnikey that is in very good condition to compare them with, but I've been getting Omnikeys that have odd and varied top heaviness across the board (some being less top heavy than others).  I also got a gold label Omnikey with blue Alps switches, but it was in pretty bad condition.  The top heaviness of that keyboard was also varied.  My Leading Edge DC 2014 in fairly good condition, on the other hand, was smooth across the whole board and had uniform top heaviness.  I probably should try contact cleaning and lubing these varied top-heavy boards, but I don't have the tools necessary for that.

Also, for those who have orange Alps boards, have you guys noticed that some orange switches have this pseudo-click after bottoming out?  Clickey from Deskthority described it as:
The orange ALPS can develop something that seems like clickiness but is actually not. The tactile metal gets pulled on the upstroke of the switch and pops back and forth to make a click that is unique (not like white alps). It is not what I would call true click, as it only happens on the upstroke and is due to damage/misformation of the switch and not meant to exist in that state
I wish one of my Apple M0116 have this pseudo-click on every single switch.  I've had a few switches with this feature that were are much more prominent than others with the feature.

PS: Initially, I looked at the Alps logo to spell out the Alps name.  After entering that on my tablet/phone, I've been too lazy to take it off autocorrect.
Rukia PC | RF87U Digilog | Norbaforce MKII Palm Desert | Zenith ZKB-2R | Datadesk MAC-101

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #108 on: Sun, 09 March 2014, 14:52:29 »
However, even when boards have the same complicated white Alps switches, the feel of them could be different from keyboard to keyboard.  As terrpn mentioned, his Omnikey is softer than his Focus.  I assume he is dealing with Alps white complicated switches on both boards.  Also, I've noticed that general condition and age may also affect the switch feel of the keyboards of the same switch and board.  I know that some of the Omnikeys (of the same model and switch) I have still feel different from one another no matter how much I cleaned them up.
The amount/nature of the click has to do with the precise shape of the click leaf. On switches which are used a lot (or more realistically on switches which are stored for a long period of time with keys depressed) the back of the click leaf gets bent into a bit of a curve, and the leaf angle is maybe reduced too. I should try taking some macro pictures of "good" and "bad" complicated white switches to show the difference.

Anyway, if you're careful, you can bend the click leaf back in the direction of its original shape, and thereby increase the click. Be careful, if you bend it too much, you'll end up with a click on both the way down and the way up.

Offline interwebhobo

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 14:17:27 »
So I've had my first experience with an Alps board with the AEK M0115 with orange Alps. I have to say the experience of typing is truly different compared to Cherry's. I have a random question about them, though. I know they are rated (at least on the AEK) for 10-15m presses... The board I got seems in incredibly good condition (practically no yellowing, kb was incredibly clean, etc) yet when plugged into my PC (windows ofc) the "=" button on the keypad section does not work. Do you think this is a result of the switch going bad (old board but good condition, no other problems) or how it isn't standard to have an "=" key on the number pad?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 18 March 2014, 14:20:37 »
Windows does not recognize an "=" key. I am not even sure that you can re-map it.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 01:48:36 »
That's right, just checked. With a iMate, it flashes when that key is hit, but nothing happens at all windows side. Without even a random numbered/unknown key there's no way to change it to something else.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 02:29:33 »
If you make your own converter (e.g. using Hasu’s tmk_keyboard firmware, and a Teensy 2.0), then you can output whatever you want over USB.

a) I wonder what code it sends when you plug a recent extended-layout USB Apple keyboard into a PC and press the numpad = sign. Do those work as expected with a PC?

b) I wonder what code the iMate is sending when it gets an ADB numpad = pressed as input.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 04:02:13 »
You can also replace the controller, but I think that's outside the scope of the original question.

Since KP = seems to be only mac, I'd imagine both would send the same code a mac would expect, but that if modern ones work on pc's it's because they can tell it's talking to a pc and instead send a numrow=.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 04:35:04 »
Since KP = seems to be only mac, I'd imagine both would send the same code a mac would expect, but that if modern ones work on pc's it's because they can tell it's talking to a pc and instead send a numrow=.
Well that’s why I’m curious whether the modern ones do work. If so, then I’d say that’s a bug in the iMate (a relatively minor bug, since the primary iMate audience is Mac users, but still).

Offline interwebhobo

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 10:07:52 »
Well that’s why I’m curious whether the modern ones do work. If so, then I’d say that’s a bug in the iMate (a relatively minor bug, since the primary iMate audience is Mac users, but still).

Yeah I'm curious too. When I got this board I was surprised at how many things they did right or better than my nice new Filco, and I thought the "=" on the kp is one that also made a lot of sense. (Also a huge fan of the stabilizers and how they are set on the key, as well as the ingenuity that went into the locking CapsLock key). Sadly I don't have the knowledge/ability to mess around and try to get it to work.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 00:09:27 »
You may find you prefer vintage stuff. They quite literally don't make them like they used to. That one in particular may have been more expensive at the time to get than a filco today, especially if you consider inflation.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 26 March 2014, 06:47:23 »
I stripped the orange Alps from a dead Apple board and put them into a Dell AT101 and it is transformed into a truly great board.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 27 March 2014, 12:12:21 »
I stripped the orange Alps from a dead Apple board and put them into a Dell AT101 and it is transformed into a truly great board.

I'd consider doing that, but the one I have has considerable shine. Most keys could I suppose be replaced with apple, but the spacebar is also shined and is already black, because it's a "black" version.

In fact, the possibility of using it as a destination for some yet to be determined switches is the only reason I even still have it.