Author Topic: [GB] Polaris - GB Complete  (Read 241299 times)

Offline rockydbull

Re: [GB] Polaris
« Reply #200 on: Sat, 31 August 2019, 08:24:51 »
I am considering a HHKB polycarbonate but the warning worries me. Does anyone have experience with polycarbonate cases? How easily does it get damaged in shipping? If it does get damaged in shipping, is there a way to bend it back to shape, would heating it up with a hairdryer work?

https://brianlee.blog/2018/12/14/review-yuktsis-tgr-910re-polycarbonate/

Someone posted this earlier in the thread and I think it does a good job of highlighting the difficulties with polycarbonate cases and to really temper your expectations with it having a perfect fit and finish.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #201 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 09:02:57 »
Got in on this one! black hhkb case with full poly plate and an extra half brass plate. Pretty stoked for this keyboard. Its my first group buy :)

« Reply #202 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 11:58:04 »
Any other pictures from the Discord?

Offline jooobe

« Reply #203 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 12:42:17 »
Got in on this one! black hhkb case with full poly plate and an extra half brass plate. Pretty stoked for this keyboard. Its my first group buy :)
Hopefully you got an extra pcb too

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline konradb

« Reply #204 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 15:21:57 »
Any other pictures from the Discord?

I am new to this hobby and I'm super excited to get as many boards as possible. I follow many channels, so here are some updates I find important.

ai03  22.08.2019
Update regarding ETA

ETA will be pushed back slightly for Polaris due to the sheer number of orders received (Factory can't produce so many in limited amounts of time)

We honestly can't estimate ETA at this point, so it will be more or less "it arrives when it arrives" based on order qty

And ano comparison from Kevinplus. The keyboard at top is kbd8x mkii.

Offline BIGTUNAA

• Matt
« Reply #205 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 16:41:38 »
Knew I forgot something.....my extra pcb, rip!!! 

I already  placed my main order (e-white HHKB w/ both Full Brass & extra Poly), think everything will be fine if i solo order the extra PCB???

I'm guessing I wouldn't really need the extra foam as well, would I?

Offline Sky Corrigan

« Reply #206 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 17:06:15 »
Is there a hot swap option?

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #207 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 17:07:36 »

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #208 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 17:55:52 »

sure did!

Offline jooobe

« Reply #209 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 18:19:46 »

I already  placed my main order (e-white HHKB w/ both Full Brass & extra Poly), think everything will be fine if i solo order the extra PCB???

There's a extra add-on for pcb

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #210 on: Sun, 01 September 2019, 20:23:38 »

I just bought another pcb apart from my initial order. I hope that's okay. Didn't cross my mind that it wouldn't be cool to make another purchase.

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #211 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 01:27:17 »

I just bought another pcb apart from my initial order. I hope that's okay. Didn't cross my mind that it wouldn't be cool to make another purchase.

You could use the sites support messenger app and ask to cancel both orders; then order again. 

Offline droideggs

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 05:05:22 »
kbdfans never let me down. in for one. great price considering what you get with it.

Offline SoraNoTenshi

« Reply #213 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 07:05:09 »
I've been of course in for it, too!
I am going to build polaris with the following:

Space Grey, Universal Layout; FR-4 Plate
Gateron Inks, lubed with 205g0
Laser SA Cyberdeck (i hope i will find someone, who would sell / trade me a split-space; so i'd use that!; maybe iso)

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #214 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 07:39:21 »

You could use the sites support messenger app and ask to cancel both orders; then order again.

Thanks bud. Quick question, Does it really matter if there are two separate orders?
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2019, 08:22:45 by Robosculpts »

Offline SuddenlyDonkey

« Reply #215 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 09:15:43 »

Thanks bud. Quick question, Does it really matter if there are two separate orders?

You're welcome.  It's really only to save you on shipping cost.

*edit:  words
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2019, 13:27:08 by SuddenlyDonkey »

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #216 on: Mon, 02 September 2019, 09:48:43 »

You're welcome.  It's really only to save you on shipping cost.

shipping is free either way. i reached out on facebook messenger and still have not gotten a reply. Since shipping was free either way, i went with another separate order. shouldn't hurt anything.
« Last Edit: Mon, 02 September 2019, 18:53:42 by Robosculpts »

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #217 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 07:30:11 »

Group buy ends in roughly 3 days.

Due to timezone differences, the GB may end earlier than expected. Please keep this in mind if waiting until the last minute to purchase.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 08:20:33 »
Is there a noticeable difference between the plate materials when going  half plate? I know for sure full brass is too stiff for me, full fr4 would be fine, and full pc probably ok (dont have one but have used full acrylic so similarish). Where I am getting hung up is in the half plates? Half brass still very stiff? Half fr4 probably the safest bet, but if similar to half brass I would rather the weight of the brass. Half poly insane flex?

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #219 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:49:44 »
Is there a noticeable difference between the plate materials when going  half plate? I know for sure full brass is too stiff for me, full fr4 would be fine, and full pc probably ok (dont have one but have used full acrylic so similarish). Where I am getting hung up is in the half plates? Half brass still very stiff? Half fr4 probably the safest bet, but if similar to half brass I would rather the weight of the brass. Half poly insane flex?

I was wondering the same and read somewhere that the full poly plates still had plenty of flex where the half plates had hyper flex. I ended up getting a full poly and half brass with an extra pcb to swap out. I chose brass half plate because its firmer than the others while still giving me plenty of flex. Or so I think.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 09:57:13 »

I was wondering the same and read somewhere that the full poly plates still had plenty of flex where the half plates had hyper flex. I ended up getting a full poly and half brass with an extra pcb to swap out. I chose brass half plate because its firmer than the others while still giving me plenty of flex. Or so I think.

Thanks for the input. I am for sure thinking of getting a brass plate (either primary or spare) since I think that will be the hardest material to get after the groupbuy (much easier tog et a fr4 or plastic plate cut). Maybe I will do what you did and go full poly/ half brass.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 10:08:19 »
Show Image

Group buy ends in roughly 3 days.

Due to timezone differences, the GB may end earlier than expected. Please keep this in mind if waiting until the last minute to purchase.

That plate looks sick (with the gold edging)... Is it just a fun rendering, or is this going to be in production?

Offline 8six753o9

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 10:09:12 »
That plate looks sick (with the gold edging)... Is it just a fun rendering, or is this going to be in production?
I believe that's the FR4 plate.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 10:10:12 »
looks like i might pick up a fr4 plate now  haha
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 September 2019, 11:25:01 by Robosculpts »

Offline goaliedavid

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 12:02:17 »

This is my first group buy as well.  Is there a reason to buy an additional PCB other than making another one with different switches to swap boards?
I'm curious if another PCB is necessary if I don't want to have two different boards and this is my first time.

Offline jooobe

« Reply #225 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 13:13:39 »

This is my first group buy as well.  Is there a reason to buy an additional PCB other than making another one with different switches to swap boards?
I'm curious if another PCB is necessary if I don't want to have two different boards and this is my first time.
One kit will get you started. For those that want to use different sets of switches they will need additional plate, pcb and foam since the switches and soldered. This way they can just drop in the second plate and pcb with the different switches.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #226 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 14:08:46 »

Something to consider is that this uses a custom pcb so there is no guarantee you will be able to get a replacement if something breaks on yours. Not a likely scenario but if you can afford a backup it's nice to not have to hope is someone runs a gb for pcbs later. I also find it helps flipping it in the second hand market if you ever want to unload it since it's as good as a fresh kit.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #227 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 17:36:30 »
If using a half board, do you cutout the foam insert over the alphas?

Offline loud_asian

« Reply #228 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 19:11:33 »

Nope, should work fine with the foam under the alpha switches.
EM7 | Nunu | Salamander | RF84u | SS AEK64

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #229 on: Tue, 03 September 2019, 20:15:55 »

Nope, should work fine with the foam under the alpha switches.
Awesome, thanks. Just ordered the FR4 full plate and extra foam.

Offline donkey

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 00:36:55 »
Something to consider is that this uses a custom pcb so there is no guarantee you will be able to get a replacement if something breaks on yours. Not a likely scenario but if you can afford a backup it's nice to not have to hope is someone runs a gb for pcbs later. I also find it helps flipping it in the second hand market if you ever want to unload it since it's as good as a fresh kit.

Thx for the reminder. Ordered extra PCB and FR-4 half-plate.

Offline Icte

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 13:37:42 »
I am still unsure if I should get a half-plate or a full plate. I am a bit intrigued by the 1.2mm PCB with a slit for maximum flex, but not sure how this will affect the feel of the switches as I've always used a full plate with my keyboards.

How does a half-plate (or PCB mount) affect the feel of switches (both linear and tactile, such as Gateron Inks and Zealios V2)? Some people describe it as softening the bottom-out, but what if you do not bottom out when you type?

In addition, will there not be some flex even with a full brass plate (compared to a "regular", non-gasket mounted full-plate keyboard) given that the plate and PCB are gasket mounted with soft, squishable foam layers?

Offline jooobe

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 14:07:45 »
I am still unsure if I should get a half-plate or a full plate. I am a bit intrigued by the 1.2mm PCB with a slit for maximum flex, but not sure how this will affect the feel of the switches as I've always used a full plate with my keyboards.

How does a half-plate (or PCB mount) affect the feel of switches (both linear and tactile, such as Gateron Inks and Zealios V2)? Some people describe it as softening the bottom-out, but what if you do not bottom out when you type?

In addition, will there not be some flex even with a full brass plate (compared to a "regular", non-gasket mounted full-plate keyboard) given that the plate and PCB are gasket mounted with soft, squishable foam layers?
No one will be able to know the exact feel, you can get full kit with half plate and additional full plate and pcb and try it, and resale them if you don't like it

Offline Icte

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 14:40:48 »

No one will be able to know the exact feel, you can get full kit with half plate and additional full plate and pcb and try it, and resale them if you don't like it

Actually, while waiting for response I managed to find another gasket-mounted keyboard which had a GB last year - GSKT-00.

Taeha Types has a typing video of it with lubed retooled Cherry MX Blacks on his channel (not sure if you're allowed to link here, so I'll refrain from doing so), and just by looking and listening to that video I have decided that half-plate is not for me. The difference in sound (as well as feel) between the PCB-mounted alphas and the rest of the plate-mounted keys will, for me, be bothersome I believe. So I'll be going with a full plate for this GB!

Is there any information regarding the thickness of the plate? I assume it is the standard 1.5mm?

Also, regarding plate material - am I correct in the following statements when it comes to sound:

Polycarbonate - Soft material which mutes reverb
FR4 - medium-stiff material which has slightly less reverb than brass
Brass - stiff (but softer than steel/alu?) material which has more reverb than FR4

Offline jooobe

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 14:53:41 »

Actually, while waiting for response I managed to find another gasket-mounted keyboard which had a GB last year - GSKT-00.

Taeha Types has a typing video of it with lubed retooled Cherry MX Blacks on his channel (not sure if you're allowed to link here, so I'll refrain from doing so), and just by looking and listening to that video I have decided that half-plate is not for me. The difference in sound (as well as feel) between the PCB-mounted alphas and the rest of the plate-mounted keys will, for me, be bothersome I believe. So I'll be going with a full plate for this GB!

Is there any information regarding the thickness of the plate? I assume it is the standard 1.5mm?

Also, regarding plate material - am I correct in the following statements when it comes to sound:

Brass - stiff (but softer than steel/alu?) material which has more reverb than FR4
Polaris is also multilayered with lots of foam so the results may vary between that board and this.

Offline NolaSwag

• 60%
« Reply #235 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:05:45 »
Joined! All black WKL w/ full poly plate. Planning to use tealios + GMK 9009.  :thumb:
Orange60 | X60 | M60-A | Polaris

Offline jooobe

« Reply #236 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:06:20 »
Joined! All black WKL w/ full poly plate. Planning to use tealios + GMK 9009.  :thumb:
Gateron inks are back in stock on novelkeys also

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #237 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:08:29 »

Brass is for sure stiffer than aluminum and IMO pretty close to steel .

Offline donkey

« Reply #238 on: Wed, 04 September 2019, 15:51:46 »
Like black case, brass full-plate is the safest option but cheapest half-plate option is a no-brainer.

I went with brass full-plate and FR-4 half-plate.

Offline valkyr1e

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:13:39 »

Brass is very different from steel, especially in sounds. Steel plate makes a very high pitched sounds where brass has rounder warmer sound.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:25:29 »

Brass is very different from steel, especially in sounds. Steel plate makes a very high pitched sounds where brass has rounder warmer sound.

I was commenting on the feel of brass vs steel. The post i quoted said brass was softer and i disagree. IN my experience they are both similarly stiff.

Offline donkey

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 10:36:28 »
+1 to steel being stiffer than brass. I can type on brass all day but the same cannot be said with steel plate.

YMMV of course.

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 11:17:09 »
Can anyone alleviate my concerns on the poly case?  I don't own a PC board yet, but really like how they look in renders.  I have 2 points of hesitation:

1) ai designed this board w aluminum in mind, so I'm assuming the majority of the 7 rounds of prototyping focused on that material (and not PC)
2) the warning on the purchase page about misalignment - I am fine w scratching and the possibility of screw threads stripping, I'll just be careful. Misalignment would bug me, however.

Offline ai03

• I do not reply to PMs; contact me via website
    • Website
« Reply #243 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 11:40:30 »
It'll be in production for FR4 plates (gold plated switch cutouts).

Can anyone alleviate my concerns on the poly case?  I don't own a PC board yet, but really like how they look in renders.  I have 2 points of hesitation:

1) ai designed this board w aluminum in mind, so I'm assuming the majority of the 7 rounds of prototyping focused on that material (and not PC)
2) the warning on the purchase page about misalignment - I am fine w scratching and the possibility of screw threads stripping, I'll just be careful. Misalignment would bug me, however.

1) Yes
2) Poly is soft. I cannot estimate whether your unit will be warped heavily or not since I can't look into the future, but you will notice that the case can easily be "squeezed" when picking it up, and the weight may not sit perfectly flush to the rest of the case.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 19:23:51 »
super stoked now that I picked up that fr4 full plate. gonna look so clean.

Offline suparnemo

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 20:01:58 »
Is there enough room to fit mill-max sockets?

Offline goodkaws

« Reply #246 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 23:35:14 »
Just placed my order!

Btw, I saw earlier someone said we are allowed to post content from the discord so here is a prototype of the Polycarbonate:

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #247 on: Thu, 05 September 2019, 23:47:28 »
Just placed my order!

Btw, I saw earlier someone said we are allowed to post content from the discord so here is a prototype of the Polycarbonate:
Show Image

Show Image

Woooo lad... 23 hours for me to decide if I pick up a Poly one as well xD

What are the updated sale numbers on this bad boy?

Offline vaughno

« Reply #248 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 08:41:10 »
poly gaskets on this board is a pass for me I don’t trust kbdfans doing that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Unikorn | Orion v3 | GSKT-00

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 08:49:47 »
Just placed my order!

Show Image

Show Image

nice

I'm in for a poly/poly plate wkl myself
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150