Author Topic: I need help with typing efficiency and habit prevention  (Read 12310 times)

Offline Livy

• Macro keys are necessary
I need help with typing efficiency and habit prevention
« on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 12:12:02 »
I have been a heavy internet user for about a decade and when I first started typing I gained bad typing habits. These habits have stuck with me and I've gotten very used to them. Whenever I try to stop these habits I just go back to the way I always type. Does anybody know any techniques that I can use that will help me with some of these habits that I have?

These habits include:
  • Using space bar with my left thumb
  • Not using pinky finger to type (moving my whole hand and using just my index, middle and ring finger)
  • Not using my fingers in the right collum (index finger should be r,f and v but I use it for many key)
  • Only using caps lock when capitalizing (even just capitalizing 1 letter, I tap caps lock, press the letter then tap caps lock again)
  • I don't center my index fingers on f and j but instead just rest them anywhere

Literally any tips that could help me type more ergonomically or prevent these habits will be much appreciated!
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 December 2018, 12:56:14 by Livy »
Livid Evil's nickname is Livy
My Discord server is where you can contact me and find my social medias

Offline Findecanor

Re: I need help with typing efficiency and habit prevention
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 12:46:49 »
I would not call those things bad habits. Those things you do won't necessarily hurt you, and if you do it fast and by muscle-memory then maybe they work well for you.

What could hurt you in the long run would be hovering a hand statically over the same spot for a long time. Static tension on a muscle is not good. Another thing that could hurt would be if you would angle your left wrist outwards too much — which is something that modern "typing schools" say that you should do with staggered QWERTY keyboards ...
(The very first typing schools didn't do this, and the keyboard layout had not been designed with ergonomics in mind in the first place anyway)

Many people type the space bar with the left thumb. It wouldn't be that long if you weren't supposed to be able to use either thumb.

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 18 December 2018, 15:06:26 »
I would take some of these tips into a basic typing program like Mavis beacon and so daily sessions to relearn over the course of a couple weeks.

*using space bar with my left thumb

Not really a big problem, my favorite keyboard only has a space bar on one side (kinesis advantage)

* Not using pinky finger to type (moving my whole hand and using just my index, middle and ring finger)

Delete entire word, start over and use the pinky. Punish your muscle memory and reset it

* Not using my fingers in the right collum (index finger should be r,f and v but I use it for many key)

Same as above

* Only using caps lock when capitalizing (even just capitalizing 1 letter, I tap caps lock, press the letter then tap caps lock again)

Same again, slow down and consciously think about using shift. If you don't, delete and go back. Do Individual Words And Short Sentences To Practice... and use BOTH shifts, based on location of character to be typed, not just one. Never use one hand to hit shift and the letter simultaneously.

* I don't center my index fingers on f and j but instead just rest them anywhere

You ideally shouldn't rest any fingers, but rather hover and float to the keys. (besides finding the bumps on home row for location if needed). I find a little arm movement helps and don't stretch your digits, move the whole hand around and avoid over extension for letters like Q and P.

Finally: get a Kinesis contoured board. Not only are they way more comfortable, if you want the upgrade, learning the new layout spacing could help revamp your typing habits and utilize one of them (left thumb spacebar!)
I always recommend them, if you work in a computer you should attempt to get one, even if used.  Much easier on your hands and arms for most and more efficient (no archaic staggered keys so your hands can reach keys easier and faster, and the reach is drastically reduced.)

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline Livy

• Macro keys are necessary
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 01:25:16 »
Thank you so much for this. I've been on a typing speed test for about an hour trying these tips and i'm already faster than just trying then giving up like I usually do. Having to delete the word and retry is the thing I must have needed to ingrain these new typing techniques into my head that I never thought about. :)

Other than that i'm probably not going to get the Kinesis contoured board as I literally just bought a $200 one so my bank is pretty dry lol. I might get it later but thanks for the suggestion, if I ever want an ergonomic keyboard that'll be my first pick.
Livid Evil's nickname is Livy
My Discord server is where you can contact me and find my social medias

Offline hoggy

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 13:57:48 »
If you're concerned enough, then you could try to learn another layout, such as colemak or Dvorak.  I found swapping to Dvorak tidied up my technique nicely.  Remember that good practice makes perfect.

However, the advice about the kinesis is a better move in my opinion.
« Last Edit: Mon, 24 December 2018, 02:42:25 by hoggy »
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 20 December 2018, 15:58:48 »
I have been a heavy internet user for about a decade and when I first started typing I gained bad typing habits. These habits have stuck with me and I've gotten very used to them. Whenever I try to stop these habits I just go back to the way I always type. Does anybody know any techniques that I can use that will help me with some of these habits that I have?

These habits include:
  • Not using pinky finger to type (moving my whole hand and using just my index, middle and ring finger)
  • Not using my fingers in the right collum (index finger should be r,f and v but I use it for many key)
  • Only using caps lock when capitalizing (even just capitalizing 1 letter, I tap caps lock, press the letter then tap caps lock again)
  • I don't center my index fingers on f and j but instead just rest them anywhere

Literally any tips that could help me type more ergonomically or prevent these habits will be much appreciated!

_I_ use my left thumb for the space bar.  That is TOTALLY OK!!

Offline Tom_Kazansky

• Oblivion Knight
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 04:23:42 »
    -> ehhh... what's wrong with this? I did this too
    -> well... you should practice proper typing, there are many sites for this purpose.
    -> do you mean even when typing? outside of typing, I think this is ok
    -> I met someone with this same behaviour and I found this very... tiring and inefficient, you should practice to use Shift instead. (please ditch the Capslock - on the board I'm typing right now, I don't know where I put the Capslock  :p)
    -> hmm... if you do know where your fingers are then that's fine

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 14:18:48 »
It does not matter what thumb you use for space, however most people reccomend the right thumb.

Got it?
Also, it's okay to use nine fingers. I have bad typing habits in which i don't use any of my thumbs or pinkys to make a space.

Offline ckofy

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 March 2019, 16:30:55 »
Using left thumb for space is ok. I actually used to use right thumb and then relearned for using left thumb. My reason was that right hand is used for mouse, but also that I'm using Colemak which is more right hand oriented than qwerty.
Learning Colemak or Dvorak is actually the best way to left old bad habits behind and use the proper touch-typing technique. That also help that these layout are optimized for home row touch typing and that make way more sense to keep fingers in home position then for qwerty.

Offline jeaneallenn

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 27 March 2019, 02:45:30 »
Thanks for the tips guys..  :thumb:

Offline Myteethfeelweird

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 13 January 2020, 23:06:23 »
The left thumb habit isn't bad, I use it for my split keebs, i find it more comfy. The moving around and not using "proper form" isn't terrible but an option to combat this is to use an ortho board with Staggered row heights (ex. Iris, crkbrd (corne)) these force the fingers to use their desired rows.