Author Topic: Alps Matias Removal tool  (Read 82113 times)

Offline E3E

Re: Alps Matias Removal tool
« Reply #50 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:52:40 »
Wow, haha. We had convergent ideas. I had no idea that you had made these, man! And I was planning on possibly running an interest check on my own. I don't have any fancy CNC though, so I was going to make them by hand.

Damn. :P Were you also inspired by Sandy's switch opening tool? We even thought of the same idea with stems to grasp the switches!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
    • Bishop Computer Design web
« Reply #51 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 08:57:37 »
Apparently there were a few  people working on stuff to this end. I was shown one made from a pen (not sure if that's the one your talking about) and another from a user which is where I first saw the center post holder. But did realize I was going to need it after trial and error.   
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline E3E

« Reply #52 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:07:26 »
Apparently there were a few  people working on stuff to this end. I was shown one made from a pen (not sure if that's the one your talking about) and another from a user which is where I first saw the center post holder. But did realize I was going to need it after trial and error.

Yep, I stumbled upon the tool that was made from a golf scoring pencil. It's likely the same one we've both seen. I copied that design but realized it wasn't adequate enough for truly effortless switch opening, so I had a light bulb moment and thought that a stem would be perfect to grasp the slider and pull the top housing up.

It took a lot of experimenting with depth and geometry but the tools I have now work 100% of the time, which is awesome. It was really a personal project since I have some particularly rare Alps boards that I do not want to take a soldering iron to. That was my main incentive. I want to swap the stems and leaves and springs and such for a custom build (hotswappable, so no soldering), but I don't want to defile the keyboards.

It's nice to see people thinking alike though.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #53 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:11:02 »
I have no Alps. But a friend on here sent me a few to test with. I have to say I kind of like them. I offered to develop this as one of the many ways I try to give back to GH.
Projects
Build to give back, 40% | Alps/Matias Removal ToolUltraHack 67% Hackdura  | ErgoDox case

Offline E3E

« Reply #54 on: Sun, 28 February 2016, 09:34:21 »
I have no Alps. But a friend on here sent me a few to test with. I have to say I kind of like them. I offered to develop this as one of the many ways I try to give back to GH.

I hear you, and likewise! I feel the same way, though I am very much an Alps fantatic, hehe. I have always been frustrated at how tedious it is to open Alps with toothpicks and I don't want to use metal as that can seriously mar the plastic.

Tools like these are just amazing to have, so I too wanted to share them with the community, especially since Alps are becoming more popular!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 13:56:33 »
Aluminum and cutting bit ordered.
Projects

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #56 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:00:29 »
Mark me as interested in buying one.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:20:27 »
Glad to see the nub idea from mine made it.  I'd still love to see it be a dual use tool, maybe have an MX tool on the other side and have a second with a  MX tool abd something on the other end.  Or maybe have cutouts so a couple alps switches fit in the handle so you can pop them open then have a mini lubing station.  Just trying to spitball ideas so it's not a single use tool.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #58 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 14:23:56 »
Glad to see the nub idea from mine made it.  I'd still love to see it be a dual use tool, maybe have an MX tool on the other side and have a second with a  MX tool abd something on the other end.  Or maybe have cutouts so a couple alps switches fit in the handle so you can pop them open then have a mini lubing station.  Just trying to spitball ideas so it's not a single use tool.

i agree a dual use tool would be optimal, maybe V2 could have more switch tools included :)
Projects

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 15:58:19 »
IME the more functions you add, the worse the tool becomes at each one.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline E3E

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 29 February 2016, 16:21:01 »
I definitely wouldn't recommend these being made out of any kind of metal unless you don't mind scratching the switch housings.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:40:01 »
Bit and aluminum came in today so I'm just going to park the hype train right here.

Projects

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:42:59 »
Bit and aluminum came in today so I'm just going to park the hype train right here.

Show Image

Looking good 

Might have to buy another alps board just so I can use this :p
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:44:42 by kinglukas38 »
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:22:48 »
1 - 5

Each takes over an hour of work. Hand tuned and tested. Numbered. On sale soon. Selling 4.

Acrylic will also be on sale soon too.

Projects

Offline deductivemonkee

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:26:23 »
1 - 5

Each takes over an hour of work. Hand tuned and tested. Numbered. On sale soon. Selling 4.

Show Image

If you make this many, can I have acrylic #14?
oh yeah I saw that crazy **** if that doesn't win I'm deleting my account

/ orthodox - 78g zealios / alps64 - mtsc / sentraq s-60x rgb - gat blues / let's split - 67g zealios / let's split - 67g zealios /

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:27:14 »
1 - 5

Show Image

Cool. Sell me number 5.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:34:21 »
😄

I think I'm going to sell them on ebay as an auction. Or at least one of them. And donate it to GH. Auctions may provide a wider reach for people.

I'm just kicking around the idea at this point.

Thoughts?
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #67 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:36:00 »
1 - 5

Show Image

If you make this many, can I have acrylic #14?
I got to 10 then had to do aluminum ones.
Projects

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #68 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:36:22 »
I'm interested in one, but would be turned off by an auction.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 02 March 2016, 23:37:41 »
I think I may just get more aluminum and do an auction with that. Nub
Projects

Offline E3E

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 07:25:04 »
I know I'm going to seem like the vocal minority here, but I still don't recommend any kind of metal for oepning these switches as that can potentially scratch or gouge the housings. It would be cool if you could make them out of POM.

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #71 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 07:34:43 »
Auction would be annoying. Just make more and sell at a healthy markup.

IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 07:51:58 »
i have tested both acrylic and aluminum on some clear switches with no signs of marring the part i can't speak to how the classic black housings would fare but i have tested 12 acrylic and now 2 aluminum ones with no real signs of scratching.  when i get home tonight i'll take a much closer look but i dont anticipate any issues. i totally understand any reservation on the aluminum ones. they are somewhat more of a novelty to be honest. but they did come out nice :)

and on that note.  :(

since the aluminum parts are taking a ridiculously long time to manufacture due to polishing multiple tool changes, engraving etc i'm sad to say but the price will be abit higher than i originally anticipated. but in the spirit of things i'm going to take a loss. final price will be 25$ per aluminum part plus shipping. i will still be donating to GH 5$ with each one sold. Acrylic parts are still 8$ plus shipping 3$ to GH for each one sold (i'll combine shipping on any order of multiple parts.

again i'm super sorry. i don't like back peddling. please understand.

i do plan on getting more aluminum in the immediate future and making a second run if interest is shown, but will make at least one more in a future batch and auction it off with all profits made to GH.

if any of you has questions about my decision or wants to roast me please PM me i'm happy to explain in detail the process involved which prompted this small change.

oh.... and i have 2 acrylic ones that didn't pass my quality standard (chipped teeth on the top of the fork) they still work fine. i'll be posting later today with pictures (tonight). they will be given away conditionally. donate to GH and pay shipping. :)
Projects

Offline E3E

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:05:19 »
i have tested both acrylic and aluminum on some clear switches with no signs of marring the part i can't speak to how the classic black housings would fare but i have tested 12 acrylic and now 2 aluminum ones with no real signs of scratching.  when i get home tonight i'll take a much closer look but i dont anticipate any issues. i totally understand any reservation on the aluminum ones. they are somewhat more of a novelty to be honest. but they did come out nice :)

That's good to hear. :) I guess I'd just be wary and use plastic anyway, BUT I think, of course, that many people would be very happy with an aluminum tool just out of durability and cool factor. :)

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #74 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 08:06:21 »

That's good to hear. :) I guess I'd just be wary and use plastic anyway, BUT I think, of course, that many people would be very happy with an aluminum tool just out of durability and cool factor. :)
For sure. Its a cool novelty 
Projects

Offline bcredbottle

« Reply #75 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 13:42:03 »
Can't wait!!!!!

Offline piemancoder

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 16:51:48 »
That is still a good price, but I just used the money that I had set aside for this on something else. Will you ever do a second run?
Yoda grammar best has

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 17:20:29 »
Sure.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 20:47:12 »
02-05 complete. What should I put on it? "GH" again?
Please note these will be sold in order so you won't know what number you get until it arrives. Like Christmas 🎅

Projects

Offline Venatorious

• Gotta Start Somewhere
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 21:06:39 »
I think imma nab one of the acrylic ones :)

Not wise to open alps switches with your hands, I had a bleeding fingernail from that  :-X

And you can potentially damage the switch with the screwdriver method.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 03 March 2016, 21:38:51 »
Interested.

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:14:35 »
CLEAR ACRYLIC - ALPS / MATIAS REMOVAL TOOL ORDER INSTRUCTION.
  • Email bishopcomputerdesign@gmail.com  include in the body of the email your PayPal email address
  • include quantity
  • Total Cost: (<quantity>*$8)+6$
  • include mailing address (just in case)
  • shipping will be 6$
  • you will be emailed an invoice via PayPal which must be paid with in 72hrs or your order will be canceled (unless prior arrangements have been made. i'm human too)

6$ shipping is for ContUS only. if you want me to ship it outside the 48US you pay exact shipping.

3$ per part will go to GH

i'm setting shipping at 6$ due to the fact that acrylic is brittle and can break easily in a standard envelope. I will ship via a flat rate box to ensure the part(s) arrives safely.
if you want me to put it in a padded envelope anyway i'm happy to do so. shipping will reflect what ever the cost of that is. Do this at your own risk.

First come first served via the process above.

Anyone who has PM'd me regarding these tools now's the time to do the above.
(i feel it only fare that everyone do the same thing to order)  :thumb:

Count Remaining = 10  0
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 March 2016, 09:56:57 by mrbishop »
Projects

Offline kinglukas38

• Do you even tactile?
« Reply #82 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:33:12 »
noooooooooo CONUS only :(

What if I pay extra for shipping?
I've never done it before, but I'm pretty sure I'm good at it

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 12:35:44 »
noooooooooo CONUS only :(

What if I pay extra for shipping?

your welcome to pay shipping to where ever you like but the 6$ flat shipping is Cont US only. guess i should clarify.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 13:13:13 »
i'll be sending invoices out tonight by the way
Projects

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #85 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 17:06:01 »
So this is just for the acrylic ones, right? When are we going to get a shot at the aluminum ones?

My boards:
More

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #86 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 18:36:35 »
So this is just for the acrylic ones, right? When are we going to get a shot at the aluminum ones?
Hopefully tomorrow I will finish making the rest and I'll post soon as I'm done.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 19:24:04 »
as promised  ;)
Projects

Offline axtran

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 21:27:01 »
Love this. :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 21:40:26 »
as promised  ;)

You donated negative $3?!

Offline njbair

• nickbair.net
« Reply #90 on: Fri, 04 March 2016, 21:41:18 »
as promised  ;)

It's like SNL Celebrity Jeopardy, when Sean Connery did so badly they actually took money away from his charity.

My boards:
More

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #91 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 07:27:24 »
as promised  ;)

It's like SNL Celebrity Jeopardy, when Sean Connery did so badly they actually took money away from his charity.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #92 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 08:01:39 »
as promised  ;)

subtracting from my account towards GH :P
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #93 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 10:09:34 »
So I was able to print 2 shipping labels out before my printer ran out of ink.  😤😠😓
Projects

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #94 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 10:27:38 »
I see you are out of the tools.  Should I send an email to secure a place for the next round, or should I wait until you have them?

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #95 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 11:15:47 »
I have a few that haven't paid yet so if you want go ahead and send me a message and well see what happens by Tuesday.
Projects

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #96 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 12:29:38 »
and another bit bites the dust. -_-

i have 3 and will open the doors on those.

i will order another bit once these 3 are gone and continue to create 2 more.

to order email me (Bishopcomputerdesign@gmail.com) limit one per person i will send you a pay pal invoice.

sorry for all the delays i have a hobbiest CNC not a Hass or Tormach and i'm a novice. bits break things happen etc etc. (grumble grumble)

once these three are gone i will go ahead and make this project and all its design files open source.
i want to thank the community for all its support/help/making this happen.

Projects

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #97 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 20:36:07 »
VERY nice work.

I'll definitely buy a few!

Offline mrbishop

• * Maker
  • Evil Genius
« Reply #98 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 20:38:54 »
VERY nice work.

;D

sounds great!

after playing with these switches  (new to me) i'm going to be putting in an order for some of your switches for an upcoming layout i'm tinkering with :)
Projects

Offline Matias

• * Commercial Vendor
    • http://matias.ca
« Reply #99 on: Sat, 05 March 2016, 21:41:26 »
VERY nice work.

;D

sounds great!

after playing with these switches  (new to me) i'm going to be putting in an order for some of your switches for an upcoming layout i'm tinkering with :)

Great, looking forward to see what you come up with!   :)