Author Topic: What do you eat? The thread about things you eat.  (Read 530007 times)

Offline iri

Re: What do you eat? The thread about things you eat.
« Reply #2450 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 09:10:10 »
Hey bazh! Is that in Vietnam?
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline bazh

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2451 on: Fri, 24 April 2020, 11:51:56 »
Hey bazh! Is that in Vietnam?

Hah no, oh how I wish it were right now. Luckily I have access to plenty of asians groceries in Finland.
HHKB Pro2 white

Newbie again

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #2452 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 03:54:02 »
Lockdown work-from-home breakfast is ready :D

Pouched eggs on toast with mexican chilli cheese and chive :)

240976-0
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 03:57:32 by phinix »
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2453 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 08:35:53 »
I ate crackers for breakfast today ):

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2454 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 14:43:30 »

breakfast is ready

Looks pretty substantial. How many eggs is that?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #2455 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:10:16 »

breakfast is ready

Looks pretty substantial. How many eggs is that?

Weeeeellll..... what do you think? I'm a freak when it comes to eggs - I need to clear them out, get rid of chelaza, all the weird bits before I eat eggs.
Process is a bit time consuming. For example, I won't eat boiled egg, as I cannot clean it after boiling, so what I do is I only eat scrambled, pouched or fried.
During the cleaning process I get rid of a portion of white, so egg becomes a lot smaller. So at the end, when cleaned 4 eggs become really 2-3 eggs in total.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2456 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 18:27:58 »

what do you think?

It looks like it could be 8 "halves" per slice of toast, assuming that a white outside bit together with a yellow core portion constitutes a "half".

That would be 8 original eggs between the 2 slices.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline phinix

« Reply #2457 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:02:55 »

what do you think?

It looks like it could be 8 "halves" per slice of toast, assuming that a white outside bit together with a yellow core portion constitutes a "half".

That would be 8 original eggs between the 2 slices.

That's 4 eggs, with some whites cut off. 2 eggs on each slice of bread.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2458 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:06:40 »

That's 4 eggs, with some whites cut off. 2 eggs on each slice of bread.

Cholesterol Bombs

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2459 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 19:27:38 »

2 eggs on each slice of bread.

That's more reasonable. What I was looking at as halves were actually quarters.
« Last Edit: Tue, 28 April 2020, 20:39:55 by fohat.digs »

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2460 on: Tue, 28 April 2020, 22:02:55 »
I feel like i have nothing to eat despite having a fridge full of fruit and stuff. maybe its because im a terrible cook

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2461 on: Wed, 29 April 2020, 07:23:05 »
Cooking is both an art and a science, but it is a skill that everyone needs to learn.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #2462 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 00:39:29 »
We've been making swedish pancakes a lot lately.  ^-^

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2463 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 01:01:38 »
Vindaloo chicken pizza

Offline phinix

« Reply #2464 on: Fri, 01 May 2020, 04:02:05 »
We've been making swedish pancakes a lot lately.  ^-^

Show Image

Ooooh, niiiiiice :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2465 on: Fri, 08 May 2020, 20:30:57 »
For dinner I made Basmati rice with a garlic blackbean sauce, topped with heirloom tomato and Chinese bbq pork with some homemade watermelon soda  :thumb:

Offline iri

« Reply #2466 on: Sat, 09 May 2020, 05:22:55 »
For dinner I made Basmati rice with a garlic blackbean sauce, topped with heirloom tomato and Chinese bbq pork with some homemade watermelon soda  :thumb:
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2467 on: Sat, 16 May 2020, 17:16:12 »
bbq'd chicken with my dad and it was great!

Offline phinix

« Reply #2468 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 17:25:37 »

Oh man, sounds really nice :thumb:
Next time, take some photos!  :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2469 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:33:54 »
I ate a chicken sandwich out of leftovers

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2470 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 16:28:33 »
Blintzes with ligonberry jam and manchego. yum.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2471 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 17:46:01 »
Gołąbki (Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)

Offline fliz

« Reply #2472 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 18:43:35 »
Homemade crunchwrap243421-0

Offline fliz

« Reply #2473 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 18:45:05 »
Homemade pizza243423-0

Offline funkmon

« Reply #2474 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:36:27 »
That looks quite good. How did you make it?

Offline fliz

« Reply #2476 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 02:44:19 »
The pizza or the crunchwrap?

Crunchwrap: taco Bell copycat seasoning on Allrecipes for the beef and chefsteps nacho cheese. Extra large tortilla and small tostadas assembled the same way as taco Bell.

Pizza: Chad Robertson's country loaf recipe from Tartine bread, divided into 320g balls at the end of bulk fermentation. Tomato sauce is just canned whole tomatoes, basil and salt blended with an immersion blender. 1/2 cup of sauce per pizza. 4oz whole milk mozzarella. I use string cheese because the individually packaged 1oz sticks are convenient, but I still grate it first.

Hardest part is stretching the dough. After rolling into balls i the gluten needs to relax, but you can't let a skin form. You can use a proofing box, but a little oil and plastic wrap works.. it'll take at least an hour before the balls are relaxed enough to stretch. Freeze the ones you don't plan on using immediately after shaping them into balls. Oil the balls and put them in freezer bags. I leave my used bags in the freezer and don't oil my balls anymore since the bags are oily enough. For stretching, watch YouTube videos and imitate. I don't do the "slap" technique and prefer the spin toss.

To bake I use a Blackstone pizza oven, but you can use a regular over an max setting. The pizza will end up a little crispier since it'll take longer. You can also use the "clean" setting on your oven to get hotter, but you'll need to defeat the safety latch.

Use a pizza stone. I'd consider a stone and a peel to launch the assembled pie into the oven the only required tools.

For this pizza I put the cheese down first and then the sauce, and added julienned basil after it came out of the oven. There's also some parm.
I prefer a stone temp of about 730-750 and use a temp gun to measure it.
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 May 2020, 02:49:58 by fliz »

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2477 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 23:50:08 »
flank steak with a pinot noir mustard gravy
(Deglaze pan after cooking steak with about a 1/2 cup red wine and let reduce for 2-3 mins. Add 1 tsp butter or olive oil and sautee julienned mushrooms, crushed garlic, and shallot in reduced wine. I added some chopped tomatillo for acidic sweetness too. Stir in 1 tbsp of ketchup or arrowroot powder to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in 1-2 tbsp of your choice good brown or Dijon mustard)
Served with garlic roasted asparagus and a goat cheese white cheddar

Offline phinix

« Reply #2478 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 02:39:40 »
flank steak with a pinot noir mustard gravy
(Deglaze pan after cooking steak with about a 1/2 cup red wine and let reduce for 2-3 mins. Add 1 tsp butter or olive oil and sautee julienned mushrooms, crushed garlic, and shallot in reduced wine. I added some chopped tomatillo for acidic sweetness too. Stir in 1 tbsp of ketchup or arrowroot powder to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in 1-2 tbsp of your choice good brown or Dijon mustard)
Served with garlic roasted asparagus and a goat cheese white cheddar
Show Image

Mmmm... I want it now for my breakfast :D

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2479 on: Sat, 18 July 2020, 21:17:14 »
The same but different. This time served over Jasmine rice and red-wine poached cherries added to the sauce.

Offline JayZz

« Reply #2480 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 05:50:58 »
bbq pizza for today, lazy day

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #2481 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:34:52 »
LOVE ramen, especially with some cilantro and an egg tossed in.
My gf is korean and makes the best fried rice and naegmyun and kimpap

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2482 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 21:18:36 »
Spicy coconut milk vegetable curry served over fried scallion jasmine rice with Chinese bbq pork

I'm getting really ****ing good at making curry this stuff was like good restaurant quality. She's a thicc curry too you can stand a wooden spoon in it for a second.
« Last Edit: Mon, 27 July 2020, 21:21:21 by noisyturtle »

Offline JP

« Reply #2483 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 22:22:53 »
Wow that looks great  :thumb:
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2484 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 02:21:38 »
My lovely tomato soup (Polish pomidorowa) I make almost every two weeks :)

248166-0
« Last Edit: Fri, 18 March 2022, 10:00:10 by phinix »

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #2485 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:19:37 »
Chopped liver.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline iri

« Reply #2486 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 03:30:31 »
Spicy coconut milk vegetable curry served over fried scallion jasmine rice with Chinese bbq pork
Show Image

Now that's some fusion!

-Ray Bradbury

Offline markuser

« Reply #2487 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 17:08:07 »
I love eating seafood. Because shrimps are wooooooow

Offline JayZz

« Reply #2488 on: Wed, 12 August 2020, 04:59:25 »
I'm on a healthy eating right now. Friots, vegs, different salads et etc

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2489 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 21:05:37 »
Been experimenting with baking chicken and rice together. It's amazingly convenient that they cook at the same temps for the same amount of time, and tossing everything into one pyrex is quick and easy. But the issue is the rice saps all the moisture and the chicken always turns out a bit dry. Even basting it a few times during the cook.
I don't think either the rice nor the chicken has the potential to be better or as good as cooking them individually, but you can really get some good flavors in the rice.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2490 on: Thu, 10 September 2020, 21:44:31 »
Looks gud',

Beyond meat is pretty gud' w/ rice 2.   There's also beyond meat Grilled chicken. 

Offline fanpeople

« Reply #2491 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 05:02:10 »
I EAT ****!!!!!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2492 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 07:53:03 »
Good to know.

Offline phinix

« Reply #2493 on: Fri, 11 September 2020, 09:08:51 »
Good for you! :D

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #2495 on: Tue, 15 September 2020, 08:50:40 »
My lovely tomato soup I make almost every two weeks :)

(Attachment Link)

Tomato juice on the other hand.. sucks. But good job

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2496 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 21:07:30 »
Got my curry recipe just about perfected. Today was the first time I could honestly say what I made was better than every restaurant curry I've ever had except for this one place in SF I went to 20 years ago. It's very cathartic to know you can prepare something at such a level :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2497 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 21:09:59 »
Got my curry recipe just about perfected. Today was the first time I could honestly say what I made was better than every restaurant curry I've ever had except for this one place in SF I went to 20 years ago. It's very cathartic to know you can prepare something at such a level :)

How much coconut slurry did you use.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2498 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 21:28:30 »

How much coconut slurry did you use.

Using lemongrass beef bone broth instead of just water and adding maple syrup stepped it up to a whole other level this time

Offline iri

« Reply #2499 on: Thu, 29 October 2020, 04:00:29 »
Maple syrup in a curry?!?!?!?! :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-\ :-\ :-\

-Ray Bradbury