Author Topic: Replacement Key Caps for Vortex Race  (Read 17990 times)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
Replacement Key Caps for Vortex Race
« on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 18:13:19 »
Just bought a Vortex Race for my wife and playing with it before I buy one for myself, or opt to get a Poker or Pure and I'm curious about replacement key caps. Bit of a newb, so please bear with me.  :-*

Looking at the layout on the Race, it looks like I'm going to have a difficult time replacing some of the keys since they seem "non-standard" in places. I like the layout, but it looks like a Poker is more "standard" when it comes to replacement key caps. Granted, if I choose to go Otaku, then it really doesn't matter, but I don't see going that direction just yet. A good example is the "Esc" key.

For example, if I chose to get a PBT set it looks like I can get most of the keys and then have to buy special keys to fill in the set, or am I missing something?

Again, bit of a newb, just looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance!

Offline quake4mhg

Re: Replacement Key Caps for Vortex Race
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 04:01:58 »
Bump. I have a Race too :D
You better save this picture for the future use.

AFAIK, the top row "R5" isn't popular, so the top row R5 Esc, Del ... nearly impossible?
Hope some experts can help us  :-[

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 December 2012, 05:53:53 »
Usually R5 isnt used, another R4 is.

Offline OrpheusX

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 09:49:34 »
Hey Mashby,

Have you had any luck finding PBT replacements for the Race? I have two of them (one with reds, backlights and ABS caps and the other with milks with PBT.) I really prefer the feel of the PBTs but the milks are tough on my hands.

Offline shibbyllama889

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 12:50:52 »
The Race has one WEIRD layout. I have no idea why they did what they did. Anyway, here's what I can tell is non-standard. Also, am I correct in assuming that the top two rows (R4 and R5 in the image) of the Race are the same profile? That's usually how it goes, but who know what they did with this thing.
Edit: based on this thread: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33482.0, it seems that the function row is a different profile from the number row. KBT was smoking something good when they made this keyboard. That just means if you replace the top row, then the Esc and Del keys will be slightly different profile from the rest, not a huge deal I suppose.

R5: Esc and Del. They look to be 1x1.5. I doubt you'll ever find that size keycap in the profile of the top row.
R4: Looks pretty standard.
R3: Pg Up is usually the profile of the top two rows. You can easily get an R3 1x1 keycap, but it'll have to be blank (or custom made by WASD).
R2: Looks pretty standard except PgDn. Same case as PgUp, won't get legends to match with that profile, but you can get a blank key.
R1: Right-shift, up arrow, and End are all weird. They look to be 1x1.25 in size. You could order individual 1x1.25 blank modifier keys and they *should* work on those keys.
R1 (bottom): R-Ctrl and the arrow keys are non-standard. Again, you could get a blank 1x1 for R-Ctrl and blank 1.25 modifiers for the arrow keys, and they should work (assuming you get the same bottom row profile).

So...it's definitely possible to get keycaps for most of the keys, but it will be tough and you'll be both paying more and settling for blanks. I'm not even sure if WASD sells legend-customizable keycaps for all of the non-standard keys on this keyboard.
« Last Edit: Thu, 10 January 2013, 15:33:28 by shibbyllama889 »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 13:53:21 »
While it might not be ideal the easiest solution is to use keycap from tab row again on the function row if you wanted to get a set from WASD for example. If use SP they do have 1.5 R1 key if blank is acceptable, or maybe luck out from crap bag trade. If want Cherry there are some board with 1.5 esc and del keys, but then the 1.25 arrow would be a problem.
It's probably the worst keyboard for aftermarket keycaps you could choose.

Offline cobraj

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 10 January 2013, 21:24:10 »
It's probably the worst keyboard for aftermarket keycaps you could choose.

Yeah it is lol. Wish I had gone pure/poker now haha.
They also have a lot bigger variety of backplates and cases =D

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 10:52:00 »
Been playing a little bit with key caps and seeing how difficult certain keys are, but now I have another question.

What profile are the stock Vortex keycaps?

Thanks in advance!

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 19:29:33 »
I actually replaced mine with WASD keys here are my notes on it.

The F key row is an R5, good luck finding them.
Using an R4 works just fine, but leaves you with two ways to solve a problem, neither is perfect. The problem is that the Escape and Delete key will be a 1x instead of 1.5, good luck finding R4 1.5's. You can either use an R1 1.25 or and R4 1x. The r4 will maintain row height (but not increase like stock does), and will still leave you with a gap between the keys (but smaller), I went this route as I bought the board partly for the circuit board. I liked the looks of it, so exposing it for me isn't an issue. Your other option is to use R1 1.25 keys, this will give you nearly full width, but the keys will be a bit lower and an odd profile. I use an R3 key for my FN key so I don't accidentally hit it when I hit the backspace, but I considered getting an entire row 5 made of R3 keys for the same reason. I seem to need a small gap between my numbers and f keys. WASD does happen to sell R3 1.5's, these tend to be the flatest profile caps on the board as well as the lowest in height, and a full set labeled, would get expensive. If you were to do a full set, you could use some of the numpad and other modifiers to reduce the cost (you could get 6 out of those), but it would still add up fast if you labeled them.

After that, you need a different page up, page down and end key, all of which are simple.

Arrow keys you have two options. Order a set of 4 R1 1.25's (I recommend blanks to make it cheaper) or just go with standard 1x keys (what I ended up doing).

If you order from WASD, and you do the custom keyboard layout and tweak it, you can make a full set, with legends, like I mentioned above, for about $68. I have the pattern if you want it (even has the modifiers), but the font is one size smaller than normal.

Here is my post with the results, as well as a link to the pattern (I corrected the D key).
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=39116.msg765881#msg765881
It's not perfect, but to me it looks fine all things considered, though the PBT's Vortex is sending will probably replace them.

Otherwise, you can try and get ahold of Vortex and get a complete set. They have ABS and PBT, my recommendation is do NOT get the white ABS, and good luck. User Vortex-JC is a Vortex representative. How much good it will do you, I have no idea, but send them a PM and cross your fingers and you may be able to work a deal for some OEM caps. You might have better luck using their Facebook page, I don't use it and really wish companies would get over it and realize it's not a real website or technical support site, nor is it a replacement for it. Websites are cheap and there is no excuse for not having one these days if you make anything.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 26 January 2013, 22:53:04 »
Really nice replace!!!
Please update us when your PBT Vortex arrived.
Save your pictures for my future references if you don't mind  ;D

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 27 January 2013, 00:55:25 »
Really nice replace!!!
Please update us when your PBT Vortex arrived.
Save your pictures for my future references if you don't mind  ;D

Everything I posted is attached and hosted at Geekhack and WASD, so it should be there a while. I did it in hopes others don't have to figure it out like I did. Some people don't like how it turned out (some were quite vocal about it) but what is the alternative? It's not like you can just go to WASD and order a set, or even get in on a group buy for them.

At any rate, I will post pics if and when the PBT keys show up.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline quake4mhg

Replacement Key Caps for Vortex Race
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:17:38 »
I really love it! Eventually I'll do the same thing. Don't worry, I'm a newbie, anything I'm gonna link your page in here, cos I probably can't much questions if someone interested :)

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:44:21 »
You have a few options.

#1 Full set from WASD.  Everything will match, and you'll have an extra numpad since they only sell full sets of 104.

#2 WASD R3 1.5 to replace Esc and Del. plus a normal F1-F12 set from anywhere.  This works pretty well.

#3 Blank keycaps for the weird spots from SP's inventory.  They have all of them in gray PBT for $1 per keycap.

#4 Replace the PCB with a better 75% layout.  I am doing this in the GH60++ thread; I call it the eRace:

12526-0
Custom 75% expanded Race (eRace)

- Ron | samwisekoi

« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:49:27 by samwisekoi »
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case