Author Topic: Well X&#@! (Keycap Compatability)  (Read 6040 times)

Offline MattBuzzy

Well X&#@! (Keycap Compatability)
« on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:18:49 »
Well long story short, ordered a whole lot of caps from WASD including modifiers, not realizing they were for cherry not costar stabilizers... (Insert how stupid I am here)

Is there a way, perhaps a guide, that I could use to convert them to costar keys. Perhaps I should check in the future whether keys are universal or compatible with my board and not just assume. I guess I could use these keys if I get a ducky and put a Sanctuary set on this board (aslong as those stabilizers are Costar or Universal)

I see so many people going in for group buys without asking this question I just assumed they were universal. With the popularity of Costar vs Cherry I just assumed they would fit.... FML lol

Offline okooko

• afk.
Re: Well X&#@! (Keycap Compatability)
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:20:44 »
Yo Matty,

How about you decommission that Aizo and grab another Mechanical!
Just pretend your spending $100 on a CC, but its going towards a new deck.

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:29:47 »
Ummm can't you just put the little white pieces into the WASD caps so they work on costar? I mean, I don't think there is a difference in caps...just those two little clips in the stems.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:30:55 »
They ARE universal. Keep trying!
Looking for CC's!

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:44:48 »
Ummm can't you just put the little white pieces into the WASD caps so they work on costar? I mean, I don't think there is a difference in caps...just those two little clips in the stems.

Umfortunately not, they is no room for the Cherry stems on the board.

So it seems I am in a bit of a pickle, because if all the keysets will be like this then there is no way to swap them out without hacking them up... sigh.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:51:48 »
That black one is the original?  It does not look standard.

I have both Cherry and Costar stabilisers, and the keycaps are interchangeable, and all have 3 stems (like the white one).

Costar has little plastic inserts that go into the two outer stems, and the stabiliser bar hooks into those.  On my QFR the stabiliser bar is sorts fixed onto the clips on the plate - it does not come off with the keycap.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 03:52:21 »
What keyboard is that? I don't recognize that style of stabilizer.

When I got some doubleshot caps from an old Cherry board, it had those wires on the caps. Don't know much else about them though.

Because like Rowdy said, almost every board out there is either Cherry or Costar, and they are interchangeable.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:10:41 »
Well as well as being the only person in the world who likes this board, I am the first to find out, it is probably the only board using non standard stabilizers.... Ah ffs...

If I was to remove those little clips off the board... how horrible would it be without Stabilizers at all?

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:16:48 »
Wth board is that? It looks like stabilizer block offs.....
Looking for CC's!

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:19:07 »
It's an Azio Levetron Mech 5

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:20:06 »
Are those even real Cherry Blacks...?

Some Cherry boards have used key-mounted stabiliser wires, though...

What else confuses me is the size of the Caps Lock - never seen a stepped Caps Lock with that shape on Cherry MX switches.

Are you able to take a photo of the switches underneath the alpha keys?

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:20:31 »
Well as well as being the only person in the world who likes this board, I am the first to find out, it is probably the only board using non standard stabilizers.... Ah ffs...

If I was to remove those little clips off the board... how horrible would it be without Stabilizers at all?

It should work, as long as you press the middle of the key each time.  Pressing the side and the keycap would just tilt a bit and not activate.  Mashing the side might snap the switch stem off.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:27:27 »
Hmm thanks Rowdy, not going to risk it then. Will just settle for having a few stock keys I guess. I plan on getting more boards anyway so I guess this board will just end up being stock.

I have bids on a Ducky on eBay so I am hoping I win it.

It's a shame I really like this board but... the non standard spacebar and stabilizer are pissing me off.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:28:04 »
Better return the board before starting to chop things off.

Offline Shadovved

• * Esteemed Elder
  • King of Stickers (and GBs)
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:30:02 »
Make sure your Ducky is Cherry MX :D

IIRC they have the Alps for awhile too.......

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:43:47 »
Haha don't worry the Ducky is a Cherry Blue. Strangely enough, the long numpad keys do not have stabilizers at all despite having the provisions for them.

Offline MissMurd3r84

• In IRC wondering why Kmiller8 is yelling.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:48:32 »
That keyboard looks different, the switches o.0
KBC Poker - Red switches. Noppoo Choc Mini - Black switches. Leopold FC700R (White) - Blue switches. Ducky YOTD - Brown switches. Razer BW - Blue switches and rusted.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:57:10 »
That keyboard looks different, the switches o.0
Show Image

If they are MX Blacks, they seem to be housed in a plastic cover plate type thingy.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 05:00:13 »
Yeah they are definitely blacks, yes they are housed in a plastic cover due to the keyboard being splashproof.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 07:46:25 »
I forgot to post it here but here is the board minus the keys that I can't put on

« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:12:01 by MattBuzzy »

Offline phx

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:08:18 »
man that is one weird keyboard.
don't think there is much you can do, could always get a new keyboard...

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:14:16 »
Yeah I am going to be getting more boards, so I am going to be sourcing a plain black set for this board and sanding the 4 keys that aren't replaceable

Offline phx

« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:29:55 »
Yeah I am going to be getting more boards, so I am going to be sourcing a plain black set for this board and sanding the 4 keys that aren't replaceable
wait, how did you get the large keys on the num pad? arent' those costar?

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:42:23 »
Strangely enough they had no stabaiizer at all  :confused:
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:53:33 by MattBuzzy »

Offline phx

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:47:41 »
Strangely enough they had no stabalizer at all  :confused:

back to what I said earlier:
man that is one weird keyboard.

XD

Offline sordna

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:50:31 »
Use a drill to eat away the outer 2 columns from the WASD keycap, then it will fit in your strange keyboard.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:57:45 »
I was thinking about that but on the long shift cap it would cause severe stability problems. I tested it by removing the bar from the current key and it became very rocky and would stick or pop off if pressed on either side and as Rowdy stated it could cause more damage.

Not to mention the caps lock is an off center stem model.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:04:17 by MattBuzzy »

Offline fruktstund

• !
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 09:59:30 »
That encapsulation around the switches acts as some kind of spill protection, to make the keyboard spill-proof... So if you drop a glass of water it may not destroy your keyboard completely, if you're lucky. Remember seeing a review of this keyboard on a Swedish computer site a while ago.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #28 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:28:00 »
Haha thanks ... i think  :)) Yeah it certainly is a weird board, but I love it.

The keycaps are styled exactly how I wanted them and I know they won't be to many peoples tastes, but I really like them and in the end thats all that matters right.

They will be going on a board where I can use them all and I will get black engraved pbt caps to replace the ones on here bar the ones that can't be engraved which I will sand.

Offline sordna

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:33:55 »
Your stabilizers are not cherry, but they are not costar either. They are proprietary.
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:36:05 »
You didn't need to delete your last post, I was not offended at all  :)
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:38:52 by MattBuzzy »

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:54:35 »
Why can't you get those inserts from WASDkeyboards, and use them for the costar bars? They slide right inside those Cherry stems, then you have costar-compatible caps. I did this with one of my keyboards at one point. I see that your original caps don't use anything like this at all but that shouldn't prevent you from using the little adapter things;

http://www.wasdkeyboards.com/index.php/products/keyboard-parts-1.html

Edit;
Well crap, after looking at those pics, it may be impossible.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:56:28 by Flip »
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #32 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 11:14:30 »
Yeah it's unfortunate as I really like this board, but oh well I will keep these caps for another board. I think I will be happy with it if I shift things around a bit, swap out some caps, maybe have a complete black modifier/number set around the letters. I will figure something out and be happy with it

I take it as a learning experience, my next board will be more popular so I can get a lot of information on it, conform to standards allowing it to be easily moddable and more sleek as I have my over the top gaming board (some would call it tacky, but whatever) my next board will be more stylish.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 13:16:53 »
Yeah they are definitely blacks, yes they are housed in a plastic cover due to the keyboard being splashproof.

That makes sense.  Neither Costar nor Cherry stabilisers would work with a rubber/plastic thingy over them, so you would lose the splashproofness.

A compromise.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #34 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 19:24:19 »
Yeah it's fine with me I like the way I have it now.  :cool:

In other news, just won a Ducky Shine 2 on eBay for $94   ;)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ducky-Shine-II-DK9008S2-Cherry-MX-Blue-Switches-Blue-LED-/160961575684#ht_657wt_922

;D

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:39:58 »
Congratulations!

Now you'll find out how difficult it is to get backlighting-friendly keycaps ;)

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #36 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 22:05:45 »
Thats alright I will be mostly using standard keycaps so I just get the underglow on the board, except the Ducky spacebar is not going anywhere! I wish I could get one in white, maybe I could aquire one from someone that doesn't like it and paint it white.

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 22:50:06 »
Thats alright I will be mostly using standard keycaps so I just get the underglow on the board, except the Ducky spacebar is not going anywhere! I wish I could get one in white, maybe I could aquire one from someone that doesn't like it and paint it white.

Mate, the underglow is where its at.
about half the light would go thru a Meth cap (which is what I have one on the Pure) and I've bought about a dozen more Meth caps from Phetto, making a full top row soon.

Matty, that Azio is now officially off the rails, loose as.
Grats on the Ducky pickup

Haha my GF lives in Northgate lol

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #38 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:04:20 »
Thanks man, I have seen the underglow on some peoples boards and really like it.

Would like to see how it looks with the Sanctuary keyset  :cool: hopefully it doesn't detract from those awesome keys. If it does I will put the Sanctuary set on the QFR I will be buying soon and use the White/Black engraved PBT's I will be getting with it on the Ducky, and use my currently unuseable customs on the modifiers.

Still in disbelief I got the Ducky for that price, now to find out if I prefer Cherry or Costar stabilizers  :))

Edit: 200!
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:10:05 by MattBuzzy »

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:16:46 »
Thanks man, I have seen the underglow on some peoples boards and really like it.

Would like to see how it looks with the Sanctuary keyset  :cool: hopefully it doesn't detract from those awesome keys. If it does I will put the Sanctuary set on the QFR I will be buying soon and use the White/Black engraved PBT's I will be getting with it on the Ducky, and use my currently unuseable customs on the modifiers.

Still in disbelief I got the Ducky for that price, now to find out if I prefer Cherry or Costar stabilizers  :))

Edit: 200!

From humble beginning of the Azio, now with a crapload of custom caps, shine II and soon QFR?
You sir, will have as many KBs as me (not that I have many, for the time being)

Im thinking of buying a shine II to paint white for the missus, going with the purple/pink underglow with valentines set.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #40 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:26:21 »
As many, sure but damn dude look at your boards! Some very nice stuff there that any one of those is valued above my 3 put together  :))

Hopefully i will eventually have the money for one of those, but for just getting started on my collection I am not going too bad. Would love to try a topre board and a buckling spring!

Going to mod the QFR with greens or clears, will just have to find someone willing to sell theirs at a good price or swap for blues + value difference.

The Idea you have as a board for the missus is awesome, would look sick if you changed the leds to purple ;)

Offline okooko

• afk.
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 23:57:13 »
As many, sure but damn dude look at your boards! Some very nice stuff there that any one of those is valued above my 3 put together  :))

Hopefully i will eventually have the money for one of those, but for just getting started on my collection I am not going too bad. Would love to try a topre board and a buckling spring!

Going to mod the QFR with greens or clears, will just have to find someone willing to sell theirs at a good price or swap for blues + value difference.

The Idea you have as a board for the missus is awesome, would look sick if you changed the leds to purple ;)

Modding would serve as a great side-project if you get bored or if you are looking for something to do. I'd go clears first, then greens as I prefer browns to blues.

If you camp the classifieds often, once in a blue moon, there are usually really awesome stuff there, given that it doesnt get snatched up in minutes you need to have the cash ready! and more cash for shipping =( .FML.

PCCG has a purple LED shine II with blues.. cant justify it at the moment with the phantom and the LZ ongoing.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 03:40:39 »
Few enough places in Australia still sell the QFR, so I wouldn't hold your breath for one with greens.

The only other way to get one is to pay almost double the cost to get it shipped from the US.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 01:52:18 »
Yeah I am buying one with blues from a member here Rowdy and am going to mod it with greens myself :) maybe even clears.

Performed some minor modifications on the keys today. Not stabilized yet but they will be! Just have to decide on the best way to attatch clips to hold the bar.

Capslock is mid modification pending finishing touches, this was a major modification due to the deciding to use and offset stem Tsangan Capslock for whatever stupid reason.....
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 January 2013, 01:59:21 by MattBuzzy »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 03:42:16 »
Good luck getting hold of MX green switches :)  There's been a few threads about that, but I haven't seen any positive links.

OTOH you could try ghetto greens - MX blues with black springs.  Similar effect.

Offline MattBuzzy

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 07:59:56 »
Yeah I may grab some springs, would have to see what work is required on the QFR to change springs.

Did some more work on the board today, got all the caps on!

Had to do some major modifications to the caps lock, cut the stem out and hacked up another key leaving just the stem and top. Superglued this into the caps lock but of course it was sitting higher than usual, so took out the dremel and filed the sides down.

I only just finished it and tested it was the right height so it is still a little banged up on the inside, but the outside is perfect. Going to get some good wet sandpaper and manually sand it nice and smooth.