Author Topic: Geekhack: "Open In Web App" Banner: iOS7 / iPad  (Read 2503 times)

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
Geekhack: "Open In Web App" Banner: iOS7 / iPad
« on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:49:01 »
Hey everybody, couple of questions here:

When I navigate to GeekHack's home page from my iPad I'm always confronted with a "Open In App" notification at the top of the page.

That said:

1. Is there really a GH WebApp? If so I'd love to use it. But... is it reputable, reliable, etc?
2. How do I get this notification to stop appearing in Safari?

Thanks in advance (and no worries if any of the above questions are out of scope... this isn't exactly ruining my life or anything :).

Cheers,

K

Also... I think you guys are doing an incredible job. I'm still wickedly addicted to this site.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Geekhack: "Open In Web App" Banner: iOS7 / iPad
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:52:43 »
The app is Tapatalk, which is a general app that can view many different forums.  In my experience, once I hit cancel one time it stopped bugging me.  Do you have cookies turned off?

ETA: Tapatalk is both convenient and frustrating.  I use it to browse the forum on my phone but do most of my geekhacking on a computer.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 13:54:36 by hashbaz »

Offline korrelate

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:35:08 »
I'm currently set to block cookies from third parties and advertisers. If I set this to "always," you think that would stop it?

Topre REALFORCE

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:38:14 »
My guess is that the forum will by default ask you to try the app, but once you respond to the dialog a cookie is probably used to indicate that the dialog has been seen and shouldn't be shown again.  So I think you want to enable cookies for at least this site to get rid of the dialog.

Offline korrelate

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:40:38 »
thanks hash...

I don't understand how they can get away with that though: aren't they encroaching on this site? I never see this on my (yes, yes I'm still running an xp box) xp box.

Topre REALFORCE

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:44:31 »
It only displays if you're using a mobile web browser.  And the dialog is coming from geekhack's forum software, not from Tapatalk itself.  It's intended to be a convenient notice that a better forum experience is available (as annoying as Tapatalk can be, it is much better than using the full version of the forum in a mobile browser).  But yeah if you're seeing the notice every time you log in, that is probably super annoying. :D

Offline korrelate

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:45:16 »
I'm kind of getting the "this isn't a bug, it's a feature" feeling: Now that you've mentioned tapatalk I noticed that a lot of people are using it to view GH so this is something that GH is deliberately trying to support, yes?

my apologies for any ignorance here: I'm closer to the old school side of the house and my dev skils are all DB and analytical.

cheers,

K

Topre REALFORCE

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:48:05 »
Heh, no worries.  I don't think that we're trying to actively push Tapatalk, but it is a major forum platform.  It's the best way that I know of to use GH on a mobile device.
« Last Edit: Thu, 05 June 2014, 15:01:40 by hashbaz »

Offline korrelate

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 14:52:24 »
roger that: after you mentioned the app responsible I noticed that there are a lot of usres requesting tapatalk functionality. I got it: I gotta get up to speed here.  :))

Topre REALFORCE

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 June 2014, 17:23:27 »
The pop-up should be disabled now.  Like hash said, it is meant to serve as a convenience to members.  Now that Tapatalk is pretty much the defacto-standard on mobile, the pop-up is probably not strictly necessary.
Russ