Author Topic: How do I make stems hold onto keycaps less tightly?  (Read 2833 times)

Offline S2000Gan

How do I make stems hold onto keycaps less tightly?
« on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:11:02 »
I just got some MX Clears and tried them out in my universal TKL plate (http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=36907.0)

And I put a set of keycaps on to try testing out how the switches feel, But when I was putting them on I noticed it took a good amount of pressure to get the keycaps on the stems, and then alot of effort to get them off again. In fact, the stems hold onto the keycaps so tightly that I was pulling the top cover of the cherry switch off the lover half rather than getting the keycap off the stem.
Any advice on how to make the keycaps fit on the stems a little looser?

Thanks,
S2kG

While I'm at it, Here are some pics! :D
http://sdrv.ms/1aw9Q07
http://sdrv.ms/1aw9NBv
http://sdrv.ms/17oUbn0
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:15:16 by S2000Gan »

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: How do I make stems hold onto keycaps less tightly?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 20:14:34 »
Have a look here and here for some suggestions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 21:16:07 »
So I guess I should keep an eye open for another GB of GPL-103 and lube the part of the stem that the keycap goes on?
EDIT: Wait, Why did this thread get moved here?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:11:44 »
This is indeed an odd place for this thread to be....

And I'm not sure what rowdy linked but clears seem to be a tight fit in certain caps not sure why.

Offline S2000Gan

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 22:17:39 »
the other option is try to sand/shave the stems little with sand paper or an exacto knife or something

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:24:29 »
That's just crazy talk!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 October 2013, 23:36:03 »
And I'm not sure what rowdy linked but clears seem to be a tight fit in certain caps not sure why.

Some previous threads about tight keycaps, and what to do with them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 06:15:07 »
the other option is try to sand/shave the stems little with sand paper or an exacto knife or something

Probably not a great idea, since it will be hard to get them all correctly sanded (or rather sanded in the same amount). After sanding all of the other caps will be loose.

Probably an awesome way would be for someone to create metal cherry stem top, which when heated up will fix the caps not the stems :) Or tool presented in one of the links posted by rowdy might be a better idea (no heat treatment, just brute force plastic shaving).

I can see that more and more caps have issue of being too tight to fit. Is this a problem of certain cherry stems or is there a problem with keycaps moulding?