Author Topic: Keycap Flocking Experiment  (Read 100859 times)

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
Re: Keycap Flocking Experiment
« Reply #100 on: Sat, 05 October 2013, 08:44:11 »
you are so close to the dog car from dumb and dumber it's scary. WHERE'S DEMIK!?!?

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:19:30 »
Ok, presenting Batch 5:

Those are sweet!  Where do I sign up? 

As far as painting rigs, this is what I use:
37952-0

I use 3/4" long #6 screws to "mount" the single keys so that I can paint them all together.  Just a slight turn will mount an mx key without leaving any marking.  The screws are threaded in the box from the inside and as long as you don't keep tightening them, are very stable.  When I paint single keys, I use a round toothpick.  I can then stick it in a piece of cardboard to let it dry. 

37954-1
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • "DO NOT BRING YOUR EVIL HERE." -Swamp Thing
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #102 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:22:02 »
Badwrench, very clever -- I like the idea of the screws holding the keys in place.

Here are some pictures of Batch 5 (typing on them now) in place on my Model M silver label. My wife thinks they look "weird".

GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
Quote from: Samuel Adams
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:47:59 »
Badwrench, very clever -- I like the idea of the screws holding the keys in place.

Here are some pictures of Batch 5 (typing on them now) in place on my Model M silver label. My wife thinks they look "weird".

I think they look awesome! I love the purple. Does the flocking interfere with key operation though?
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 06 October 2013, 15:51:15 »
... until I stroke the spacebar, ever so gently.

this is the first speech bubble sticker page i'm going to print, just fyi

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 04:21:06 »

I think they look awesome! I love the purple. Does the flocking interfere with key operation though?

Thank you! The single units function fine, but there is the occasional two keys that don't work side by side, so I either trim them a bit at the bottom or shuffle them a bit. Only the space bar is partially flocked for the sake of actuating better.
GeekHack Artwork Resources | The Living GeekHack Logo Thread | Signature Plastics ABS Chip Scanning Project | Krog Flocks Around | Keyboard Color Scheme Archive | [GB] PBT DyeSub DSA Granite Set
More
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 07 October 2013, 06:49:49 »
... until I stroke the spacebar, ever so gently.

this is the first speech bubble sticker page i'm going to print, just fyi

My flocking prowess is quotation fodder -- I accept this.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #107 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:07:51 »
I've sent out a batch of these guys to Boiler, and we'll see if we can sell them or not. I'm thinking of calling them....

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

:blank:

Every PLUSHbar and PLUSHcap comes complete with a smoking jacket and a brandy snifter. (brandy not included)

More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:09:21 »
I've sent out a batch of these guys to Boiler, and we'll see if we can sell them or not. I'm thinking of calling them....

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

Every PLUSHbar and PLUSHcap comes complete with a smoking jacket and a brandy snifter. (brandy not included)

:eek:

sMoOtH Operators

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:15:18 »

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

:eek:

sMoOtH Operators

(Krog stops idly spinning his brandy snifter, and let's his monocle drop.)

... I like it! This entitles you to a color customized spacebar (right is transferable).
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:25:23 »

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

:o

sMoOtH Operators

... I like it! This entitles you to a color customized spacebar (right is transferable).

:thumb:

black 7x cherry profile if you've got it ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:28:08 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #111 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:31:54 »

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

sMoOtH Operators

... no?  :(
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #112 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:32:48 »

PLuSHcaps and PLuSHbars.

sMoOtH Operators

... no?  :(

Ok then let me think about it!

Or what do you have?

I could always send you a spacebar to flock for me right?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #113 on: Tue, 08 October 2013, 10:40:49 »
Ok then let me think about it!

Or what do you have?

I could always send you a spacebar to flock for me right?

Well for now I'm focusing on MX (DCS profile) 6.25 universals. I can definitely do black flocking, that's not a problem. Yeah, if you send me one, I'll flock it.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 11:02:58 »
Nothing to report in a while -- it's very rainy where I am, so I'm focusing on sanding and prep work.
More

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #115 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:32:22 »
bingecaps is secretly in love with this thread and fuzzy keys.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #116 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:49:18 »
bingecaps is secretly in love with this thread and fuzzy keys.

Thank you sir! Keeping tabs on your stuff as well -- really love those Bear caps! Feels like Christmas.

More

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #117 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 13:52:42 »
Pink is not my kind of color, but pink flocking could make a pimp keyboard!

How is the feel when yo type on it? Rough or soft?
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #118 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:06:20 »
Pink is not my kind of color, but pink flocking could make a pimp keyboard!
The photos I posted have a purplish, sort of 'smoking jacket" color. I was going to call them 'plum', but figured 'merlot' would sound more sophisticated.[/quote]

How is the feel when yo type on it? Rough or soft?

They feel very, very soft -- but not distractingly so. When I typed on these, I didn't even really notice the difference. Some people are 'the princess and the pea' about keycap materials, switch-feel, etc., but I'm not. The key works, and every now and then (when I'm pretty sure I'm alone) I run my finger across the top, and shudder just a little. Then the keycap rolls over and rolls it's eyes. No, seriously, they feel very good, and they look snazzy to boot.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #119 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:15:19 »
Some logo ideas! Feedback would be appreciated.
38694-0
38696-138698-238700-3
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:21:47 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I like the cursive smooth and the plush that looks like a hedge ;)

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #121 on: Fri, 11 October 2013, 14:31:03 »
(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

I like the cursive smooth and the plush that looks like a hedge ;)

Yeah that's what I'm leaning towards as well. I can't help looking at the cursive one and humming, "Smooooooth oper-ray-tuh..."
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 06:22:23 »
Prep work for QFR case flocking.

39592-0
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 06:56:24 »
:eek: so much flock.....this will be awesome

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #124 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:09:38 »
:eek: so much flock.....this will be awesome

I'm crossing my fingers. I've got to coat it fast (pre-coated it this time, so the inner walls would match, but not be flocked) and then flock the heck out of it.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:14:04 »
:o so much flock.....this will be awesome

I'm crossing my fingers. I've got to coat it fast (pre-coated it this time, so the inner walls would match, but not be flocked) and then flock the heck out of it.

So do you just sprinkle the flocking fibers over things or use a sprayer or what?

I googled and found this

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #126 on: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:23:22 »

So do you just sprinkle the flocking fibers over things or use a sprayer or what?

I googled and found this

(Attachment Link)

That's the second route -- the first few sets I did I used an air puffing method. You use a cardboard tube with another slightly smaller tube inside it. The larger tube has some holes poked in it, and when you fill this setup with flocking and then make a pumping motion, the flocking is propelled at whatever surface you want to flock. The one you show here requires an air compressor (which I don't have at home) and is probably for doing something really large, like an automobile interior roof -- but it's still very cool!

I'm using an electrostatic device that model railroad and miniature artists use for coating bases and landscapes with flock to simulate landscapes. It's electrostatic, and there's this metal pin attached to it that makes whatever it is attached to into the 'target' of the field that is created. So the flock "flies" along those field lines, and (hopefully) into the target with more force (and greater density) than air flocking. It's called Scooters Flocking Stick -- right here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Scooters-Static-Stick-Grass-Flock-Applicator-/220774262653

It's a pretty simple device, and there are people online who have hacked flashlight cases into flocking applicators. I'm not an engineer, or even an electrician, so I opted for just getting what I hope is the right tool. I haven't suffered any shocks just yet. There are more professional electrostatic flocking wands out there, but they cost in the hundreds and thousands, so, I'll pass.

So this time around, I've covered my cardboard skid with aluminum foil in the hopes that it will make it a better target for the flock. I need the skid so that I can turn the whole thing around to do the sides as well, and the trick seems to be to put down what seems like way more flock than you actually need. Which is okay, because you can recover the excess flock afterwards. This QFR is going to get the sage-colored flocking. I'm most concerned about the corners of the function row "wells" -- the masking will keep the straight line edges pretty well, but those turns... we'll see. I'm going to get a small brush and just try to be careful -- as quickly as I can, LOL!

No matter how it turns out, I'm excited about trying to flock a case.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 October 2013, 07:28:07 by Krogenar »
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #127 on: Sun, 20 October 2013, 09:59:57 »
My QFR case, immediately after flocking. There's a lot of excess flocking laid down, but that's normal. I'm going to let this sit until Wednesday, and then then I'll let any excess flock fall away and bring it indoor to fully cure. When I first started laying down the adhesive, I was being very careful not to let it drop down into the curved well walls, where the keys come out, but it was very time consuming, and the adhesive is only "open" for maybe 5 minutes. So, I put down a nice coat, maybe a bit more than I needed, and focused on smoothing it out, making it even. Then I flocked it, and here we are.

I don't think the aluminum foil base made a great difference. Maybe it will be different for individual keycaps -- I'm going to try to line the insides with foil on my next attempt.

40141-040143-140145-2

Crossing my fingers, hope I got good coverage.

« Last Edit: Sun, 20 October 2013, 10:03:01 by Krogenar »
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #128 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 08:35:11 »
^^ That is so cool!!

And just FYI fohat is now in possession of some flocked caps!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #129 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 09:02:05 »
^^ That is so cool!!

Thanks, Ray! Yeah, I pulled off the masking tape, and the frame is still curing. But it looks like it came out pretty well. There are some minor issues, but I think I can fix them. I also do not own a QFR, so I can't test how well it connects with the lower half of the case. I'll post some photos tonight. Maybe I'll sell it; I don't think I should buy another keyboard right now, LOL!

Quote from: SpamRay

Thanks for sending those along to him -- I'd love to get some feedback from him. Hope they're working for him. How about Snoopy? Did he get the spacebar?
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #130 on: Thu, 24 October 2013, 09:05:12 »
^^ That is so cool!!

Thanks, Ray! Yeah, I pulled off the masking tape, and the frame is still curing. But it looks like it came out pretty well. There are some minor issues, but I think I can fix them. I also do not own a QFR, so I can't test how well it connects with the lower half of the case. I'll post some photos tonight. Maybe I'll sell it; I don't think I should buy another keyboard right now, LOL!

Quote from: SpamRay

Thanks for sending those along to him -- I'd love to get some feedback from him. Hope they're working for him. How about Snoopy? Did he get the spacebar?

Soon on snoopy I've been lazy :(

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 07:26:47 »
Ok, here are some pictures of the QFR case, showing where some excess flocking had to be trimmed.

40938-0
40940-1

Those little edges came off with a sharp scissor for most, and a craft knife for the rest. To be honest, I'm not really all that pleased with the case. During flocking some of the fibers hit the case not as individual particles, but as clumps, and that hurt the consistency of the coverage. Where that happened, the flocking is not soft, it's hard. So, not thrilled with this case. It still feels good for the most part, but I think the other QFR case will get a nice paint job, and then a flocking strip or band as an embellishment, but not a complete treatment.
More

Offline Badwrench

• * Destiny Supporter
  • ummmm.....I forgot
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 23:26:45 »
Ok, here are some pictures of the QFR case, showing where some excess flocking had to be trimmed.

(Attachment Link)
(Attachment Link)

Those little edges came off with a sharp scissor for most, and a craft knife for the rest. To be honest, I'm not really all that pleased with the case. During flocking some of the fibers hit the case not as individual particles, but as clumps, and that hurt the consistency of the coverage. Where that happened, the flocking is not soft, it's hard. So, not thrilled with this case. It still feels good for the most part, but I think the other QFR case will get a nice paint job, and then a flocking strip or band as an embellishment, but not a complete treatment.

Bummer about the clumps.  On a positive note though, the inside edges have a nice tight line  :thumb:
wut. i'd buy a ****ty IBM board for that green V2

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #133 on: Fri, 25 October 2013, 23:40:15 »
Once you perfect the technique, you can open a Flocking Shoppe and do all sorts of flocking lengths!  Fuzzed, brushed, or braided!  I still think you need a long-haired flock with a mustache in the center :D
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #134 on: Sat, 26 October 2013, 05:25:43 »
Once you perfect the technique, you can open a Flocking Shoppe and do all sorts of flocking lengths!  Fuzzed, brushed, or braided!  I still think you need a long-haired flock with a mustache in the center :D

I'm considering getting a longish brown and red flock, mixing them, and then having Doogan paint me some caps with bandoliers across them, and then making Wookie 'Caps.

Wookie Caps.

WOOKIE.

CAPS.

:-X
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 13:19:43 »

I'm considering getting a longish brown and red flock, mixing them, and then having Doogan paint me some caps with bandoliers across them, and then making Wookie 'Caps.

Wookie Caps.

WOOKIE.

CAPS.

:-X

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 28 October 2013, 14:17:25 »
I'm working on a batch of 6 DCS profile spacebars -- I'm going to do full coverage and hope it still fits.
More

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #137 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:38:47 »
Ok, I electro-flocked the six DCS spacebars while at work today (ended up 3 full coverage, and 3 with the partial backside coverage) and did them all in black. It goes with everything, colorwise. Also, for the first time, post-flocking heating! I took an old radiant heater I used for curing digital prints, and set it up to cure these suckers. It will be nice to not have to wait four days without touching these spacebars.

It's all about the touching, after all.  :thumb:
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #138 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 14:43:44 »

touching is good  :thumb:

Offline CalmB4tehPwn

• Demon of the Fall
« Reply #139 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 21:00:36 »
This project is looking great. I'm excited to see it all come together.

Kroegnar, if you're in the mood for a project, I've got a QFR plate on hand that was destined for the garbage. Pick up a phantom PCB for ~$25, and some switches. You're in business. Unless you want the QFR PCB I destroyed on my first desoldering attempt, but you'd be spending more than $25 of your time trying to get all the keys working again.

If nothing else, it could help you sell it. Just pop some switches into the plate and put it in the case for show when you go to sell it.
"I seek a great warrior" - Luke Skywalker
"Great Warrior, Hmm? War does not make one great." - Master Jedi Yoda

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 30 October 2013, 23:57:19 »
I can just see the sale title:
''Furry Phantom looking for a good home.
- Comes with a built-in hand warmer doubling as a wrist rest and a mouse cozy''  :p
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 06:34:21 »
This project is looking great. I'm excited to see it all come together.

Kroegnar, if you're in the mood for a project, I've got a QFR plate on hand that was destined for the garbage. Pick up a phantom PCB for ~$25, and some switches. You're in business. Unless you want the QFR PCB I destroyed on my first desoldering attempt, but you'd be spending more than $25 of your time trying to get all the keys working again.

If nothing else, it could help you sell it. Just pop some switches into the plate and put it in the case for show when you go to sell it.

I've been considering finding a QFR to try out these cases on, but I've already got too many keyboards! My wife is going to threatening to start buying purses again in protest. How will I maintain my position of "no new purses" if I buy another keyboard? I was also amazed to discover that almost no one but CoolerMaster makes replacement cases available. Which is a shame -- making those case tops available would unleash a lot of creativity.

Thanks for the offer Calm (also, thanks for your leadership on the Calm Depths GB, sorry I missed out) but I don't have any spare switches lying around. I do enjoy soldering, however! I'm going to be selling the QFR case I flocked at some point -- it won't cost much, as I don't think it's all that great. It's got a spot where it's missing flocking near the arrow cluster (FUUUUUUUUUU!!!) -- which couldn't have been a less conspicuous spot. I'll post some better photos of it soon. It'll be an oddity for someone to try out, as I proselytize for flocking.

Again, I think a single flocked stripe on a case would be cool without being overbearing (or difficult to pull off) -- maybe flocking it around the entire edge of the case? That would work. I just hate sanding entire cases. It's back to flocking spacebars for now!  :thumb:
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:06:09 by Krogenar »
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:01:15 »
My wife is going to threatening to start buying purses again in protest. How will I maintain my position of "no new purses" if I buy another keyboard?

Walk away slowly and don't make eye contact.....that's about the only solution....;)

But really....what if you flocked a GH on a case.....what I had in mind was rough stencil a G and H on a larger part of a case then perhaps somehow magically sand only that area, apply glue/primer whatever it is you put on it to get the flocking to stick and the flock it....just a random early morning though that I will read later and wonder what the heck I was thinking...

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:15:47 »
Walk away slowly and don't make eye contact.....that's about the only solution....;)

Ray... there are purses inside of purses, which are inside other purses! And then there's the mind-numbing differences (Mrs. Krog: "That's not a purse -- it's called a 'clutch'.") and if I don't watch my keyboard purchases all of my financial/moral authority will be gone. GONE. And I will wake up one day inside a giant purse.

Quote from: Ray
But really....what if you flocked a GH on a case.....what I had in mind was rough stencil a G and H on a larger part of a case then perhaps somehow magically sand only that area, apply glue/primer whatever it is you put on it to get the flocking to stick and the flock it....just a random early morning though that I will read later and wonder what the heck I was thinking...

No, that's a fantastic idea. I have access to a vinyl cutter, so I could cut out a decent GH stencil, apply it, and then flock it. I think the adhesive will hold well enough if it's given a nice long period to cure -- like a week. And if you don't attack the flocked design with knives, fingernails, etc. it will hold up nicely. The flocking has masked very well in the past, and flocking something flat is a lot easier.

Very, very doable.

I'm going to unmask my new spacebars towards the end of the day. They got about 2 hours under the curing lamp yesterday, and about 1.5 hours so far today, plus overnight curing. So by 11 am EST they should have about 7 hours under the heat -- plenty of time to shake off the excess flock.

Here they are:

41931-0

More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:18:13 »
Walk away slowly and don't make eye contact.....that's about the only solution.... ;)

Ray... there are purses inside of purses, which are inside other purses! And then there's the mind-numbing differences (Mrs. Krog: "That's not a purse -- it's called a 'clutch'.") and if I don't watch my keyboard purchases all of my financial/moral authority will be gone. GONE. And I will wake up one day inside a giant purse.

Quote from: Ray

No, that's a fantastic idea. I have access to a vinyl cutter, so I could cut out a decent GH stencil, apply it, and then flock it. I think the adhesive will hold well enough if it's given a nice long period to cure -- like a week. And if you don't attack the flocked design with knives, fingernails, etc. it will hold up nicely. The flocking has masked very well in the past, and flocking something flat is a lot easier.

Very, very doable.

I'm going to unmask my new spacebars towards the end of the day. They got about 2 hours under the curing lamp yesterday, and about 1.5 hours so far today, plus overnight curing. So by 11 am EST they should have about 7 hours under the heat -- plenty of time to shake off the excess flock.

Here they are:

Interested to see how your space bars turn out  :thumb:

My wife doesn't specify she just buys lots of everything....

And what were saying is we could make flocked decals/stickers right?

so you could make me one of these ^^ with a flocked beard  :o
« Last Edit: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:21:02 by SpAmRaY »

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:34:25 »
(Attachment Link)

Well, no, I was saying I could use a cut vinyl sticker as a mask. I could cut something like what you've got there, but I don't see where it would fit on a keyboard! Maybe a 'stache to the left, and then the text to the right? That could work. A flocked sticker should be possible, though. Just make a square and then silk-screen the adhesive down, then flock.
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 07:36:17 »
(Attachment Link)

Well, no, I was saying I could use a cut vinyl sticker as a mask. I could cut something like what you've got there, but I don't see where it would fit on a keyboard! Maybe a 'stache to the left, and then the text to the right? That could work. A flocked sticker should be possible, though. Just make a square and then silk-screen the adhesive down, then flock.

Oh...we are past keyboards!!!

flocked decals to stick on everything else... FTW!!

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:05:55 »
It seems that the DCS profile spacebar can be completely flocked, and it will still work on a keyboard. I used my shop vacuum to clean off two of the spacebars, and they work. I'm going to leave the other four to rest, but they look and feel really good!

41956-0
That's the one I'm using right now.
41958-1
The spacebar on the top is partially flocked on the back and sides, but fully flocked on the front and top. The next batch will be 100% fully flocked.  :D
More

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:08:27 »
What size are these?

Offline Krogenar

• The Kontrarian
  • * Esteemed Elder
    • Buried Planet
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 31 October 2013, 11:11:36 »
What size are these?

6.25 Universals -- they fit my Ducky perfectly.
More