Author Topic: Greets!  (Read 3253 times)

Offline Elux028

Greets!
« on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 20:50:54 »
Hi everyone,

I stumbled across your site a few weeks ago and I've been lurking since.  I have used mechanical keyboards at work in the past and I am determined that my next purchase will be one.  I've been using a g15 for ~5 years. It was a gift from an old friend and I don't use all the bells and whistles. The ctrl key is too compacted for gaming, but this thing has lasted some time now. 

It's time to make the step to mechanical, but I just don't feel educated enough on what is out there!  I know I want to start with a 87-104key white/grey case, PBT caps with MX brown switches (I'm hoping I will be happy with these for 50/50 gaming/typing).  When it comes to this case color, does this leave me with a Leopold, HHKb, or a Topre Realforce?  The Topre Realforce may be, for my first purchase, too pricey and something I would look at doing as my next project.  HHkb 60key, too compact for my liking.  So many choices!  I am willing to consider alternative case colors.  However, I want the performance and the looks to boot.  How about convenience of acquiring caps? Finally, where do I go to find reputable places to purchase?!

Sorry for being such a novice here, I want to build on something for years to come and I don't want to half-ass it from the get go.  Thanks in advance and Hi again!

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Greets!
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 29 August 2012, 23:36:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!
The leopold might be your best bet (especially for PBT keycaps: good choice), though I haven't tried it.

There aren't that many white tenkeyless keyborads that come with PBT keycaps on them. You might want to get a non-backlit Keycool (or plum) in white, and add a set of PBT keycaps to it later.

The best option, of course, is the IBM 1391401 (Space saving keyboard. Beige is close enough to white. It's tenkeyless, and it's got PBT keycaps for sure. Just a thought, though. :P

Offline hazeluff

• * Vendor
  • 光復香港
    • Hazeluff
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 00:43:54 »
What you've described doens't give you much in terms of options...

It would be easier (tho cost a bit more) if you bought the white board and then bought a set of PBT keycaps to go with it. = p
Fight For Freedom. Stand with Hong Kongers

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 01:02:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

(Almost) any mechanical keyboard you get will last you for years, so if you get one with MX brown switches and, after a month or two, decide you don't really like the browns, you can get another with, say, reds.

Key caps are interchangeable on most Cherry MX-based keyboards, so any custom caps you acquire can simply migrate from keyboard to keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elux028

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 08:22:03 »
Apparently the proxy at work blocks my login attempts but still allows me to browse...

Thanks for the replies,

I did a bit more browsing around and opened my mind to straying from a white board.  I'm looking into Filco, Key Cool, and KMAC's at the moment.  I feel like that style is what I'm seeking for sure.  Where did you guys start?! so overwhelmed

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 08:39:14 »
Filco and CM Storm with browns are pretty easy to acquire and are both very solid. Both are great "starter" mech keyboards and often end up being more than that (I've gone through a ton just to go back to my CM Storm atm).

KMAC is a very limited custom board and will be hard (if not impossible) to get and will cost much much more than the others should you find one.

Where are you located? We can suggest retailers based upon that.
Would you prefer 87 or 104 keys? Another important decision before you look to buy.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 13:21:00 »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Elux028

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 18:56:34 »
I'm in Colorado Springs.  However my Mother-In-Law lives in Okinawa where my wife is from and I have a very good friend who lives in Korea right now.  Relying on them to obtain the proper item though, ehhhh I dunno... 

Offline Elux028

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:10:21 »
What are the overall opinions on the Ducky yotd edition?  Seems like replacing caps on it will make it a waste no?

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 20:23:06 »
If it is the same as the earlier Ducky Shines, you might have a bit of trouble finding key caps that let the back lighting shine through.

Other than that, I understand you get WASD replacements and also FGHJ (I think) replacement caps with "2012" keys that all let backlighting through.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Elux028

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 30 August 2012, 21:23:08 »
Alright.  Even more to think about... hmmm

Offline Elux028

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 16:56:11 »
Would you prefer 87 or 104 keys? Another important decision before you look to buy.

I crawled out of bed today and looked at my current keyboard at such an awkward angle due to its size and as I type this I am sitting at such a strange angle... I think its time to try 87key. 

Reddit is doing a massdrop for the Ducky Shine 2, but I feel like the fancy lights will be lost on me.

Offline XBoxOpponent

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 19:22:37 »
Nice to meet ya! I'm new here too... I definitely have lots of learning to do!  ;)

Offline Elux028

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 August 2012, 23:15:15 »
Hi!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 02 September 2012, 04:52:44 »
Nice to meet ya! I'm new here too... I definitely have lots of learning to do!  ;)

Welcome to Geekhack!

Mind your wallet!