Author Topic: RGB Poker 3 Video Review  (Read 8245 times)

Offline OnTheBrink

• Work Hard. Play Harder.
    • Wired In Store
RGB Poker 3 Video Review
« on: Mon, 23 May 2016, 23:12:05 »
Hey all,

So the worst kept secret was that Vortex is making an RGB Poker 3. Luckily they sent me one out for review.

I just put it up and even though I haven't been as active as I use to, I've always gotten good feedback for my review here so I figured I would share this one.

- enjoy!

Shout out to BB v2 for making a cameo, lol.

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Re: RGB Poker 3 Video Review
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 03:24:02 »
Nice video! :thumb:

P.S. Hope you don't mind but I moved this to the Reviews sub-forum

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

• LiquidEvilGaming Youtube
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 08:43:48 »
THey look really nice thus far but one major let down both i and Rhinofeed had commented on was the lack of use of VORTEX's own PBT+POM backlit keycaps instead of the doubleshot ABS they decided to use.  While it's a major improvement over the cruddy caps that came on the backlit non RGB pok3r it's still something i wish they had done. 
Current Daily Driver/s
White Leopold 750R MX Reds
Head of LiquidEvilGaming on Youtube
i7 4790k/16GB DDR3/GTX 1060 6GB SSC/256GB Samsung SSD/2TB SSHD/W10

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 09:06:43 »
THey look really nice thus far but one major let down both i and Rhinofeed had commented on was the lack of use of VORTEX's own PBT+POM backlit keycaps instead of the doubleshot ABS they decided to use.  While it's a major improvement over the cruddy caps that came on the backlit non RGB pok3r it's still something i wish they had done.

Mine was sent with double shot PBT+POM backlit as I mention in the review. They are coming out with a PBT version (confirmed by staff).

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 10:24:49 »

Mine was sent with double shot PBT+POM backlit as I mention in the review. They are coming out with a PBT version (confirmed by staff).

You positive on that? Those look like the same Keycaps both Leand and Rhino got on theirs and they both mentioned Doubleshot ABS, in addition unless they created a new set just for the RGB poker those do not look like the existing PBT+POM set.

Obviously since i do not have one in my possession i'm not sure either but i'm curious how you came about them definitely being PBT+POM and not doubleshot ABS?

Cheers
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 10:25:38 »
Deleted, doubleposted somehow.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 11:45:15 »

You positive on that? Those look like the same Keycaps both Leand and Rhino got on theirs and they both mentioned Doubleshot ABS, in addition unless they created a new set just for the RGB poker those do not look like the existing PBT+POM set.

Obviously since i do not have one in my possession i'm not sure either but i'm curious how you came about them definitely being PBT+POM and not doubleshot ABS?

Cheers

Yes, I'm relatively positive since I have been around the block but I sent another email with staff to confirm. He told me he sent out PBT version and the caps feel PBT. In this screen shot from my video you can see the texture:

However, I will let you know once I receive a double confirmation. I could be wrong ofcourse. However, I have smooth double shot PBT caps as well, so texture can be deceiving so a double confirmation seems in order.

I'll keep you posted.

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 12:42:42 »

Cheers

Yes, I'm relatively positive since I have been around the block but I sent another email with staff to confirm. He told me he sent out PBT version and the caps feel PBT. In this screen shot from my video you can see the texture:
Show Image

However, I will let you know once I receive a double confirmation. I could be wrong ofcourse. However, I have smooth double shot PBT caps as well, so texture can be deceiving so a double confirmation seems in order.

I'll keep you posted.

Awesome!  Really appreciate you taking the time to confirm!  If they actually are going to be shipping these with the PBT+POM keycaps....my wallet is already crying.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:32:26 »
Pretty cool for n00b gear.

Meh VORTEX makes one of my favorite 60%'s on the market with the pok3r.  Only the KBP V60 comes in second with a superior switch selection but inferior build quality by contrast.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline nugglets

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 17:40:24 »

Cheers

Show Image

I'll keep you posted.

They honestly look exactly like the doubleshot ABS caps that come on the Ducky Shine 5 in every way, and those have a texture to them that isn't quite PBT but is definitely not what you would expect from ABS.

Would be really cool if they were actually PBT, though. Ducky just announced they are going to have PBT doubleshots on the Shine 6 and Year of the Monkey boards... so maybe Vortex got their hands on these a bit early? That would be great.

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:42:52 »
Yup guys. Sorry but they're ABS.

I'll be damned, I had them next to my PBT and my HHKB and I could SWEAR they were PBT.

So sorry for the misinformation. I thought he confined they were PBT but he was saying a certain feature was the same as their Poker PBT line (his English isn't perfect).

The double confirm from a budy says ABS.

Again, sorry guys. I will stab myself and watch the wound bleed out of blasphemous dishonor.

P.S. Next to my Ducky mini, the Ducky's keys are certainly smoother. Honestly, I have a Poker 2 PBT white board and those keys do not feel much different from this RGB Poker 3. Honestly, these ABS certainly feel a higher grade of quality though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:46:24 by OnTheBrink »

Offline LiquidEvilGaming

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 May 2016, 18:49:47 »

I'll be damned, I had them next to my PBT and my HHKB and I could SWEAR they were PBT.

So sorry for the misinformation. I thought he confined they were PBT but he was saying a certain feature was the same as their Poker PBT line (his English isn't perfect).

Again, sorry guys. I will stab myself and watch the wound bleed out of blasphemous dishonor.

P.S. Next to my Ducky mini, the Ducky's keys are certainly smoother. Honestly, I have a Poker 2 PBT white board and those keys do not feel much different from this RGB Poker 3. Honestly, these ABS certainly feel a higher grade of quality though.

Well on the plus side at least the ABS is high quality enough that it was able to be mistaken for PBT to begin with.  Still leagues above the horrid ABS that came on the backlit pok3r non RGB.
Current Daily Driver/s

Offline OnTheBrink

• Wired In Store
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 22:55:29 »

Well on the plus side at least the ABS is high quality enough that it was able to be mistaken for PBT to begin with.  Still leagues above the horrid ABS that came on the backlit pok3r non RGB.

Very true and I find them to be much better quality than the ABS on my Ducky Mini. Honestly, if their goal here was to replicate PBT as much as they could, they certainly succeeded.

At the end of the day though, who's not going to put a custom set on a Poker. Hell, I already picked up a set while waiting for Massdrop to re-drop Nantucket Selectric and I slapped the acrylic case on this puppy.  And with the clear housing and white plate, the LEDs have no problem at all shining even without character cutout. I even had to lower the saturation on the video because the colors were too vibrant and bright for my taste (on a video).