Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum/Stainless Steel Plates for Pokers  (Read 34243 times)

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
[IC] Aluminum/Stainless Steel Plates for Pokers
« on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:50:46 »
How much interest is there for a plate to make your poker plate mount? The plates will be lazer/laser cut with a tolerance of +/- .002"

I got a quote a month back for a TKL plate. It was $25 for a single plate, of .063" 5052 aluminum. So I can assume it's going to be cheaper than $25 since it's smaller. The only thing that I'm worried about is it being .063" instead of the .060" that costar stabilizers need to function properly.

Count: ~10
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 September 2012, 21:47:55 by The_Beast »
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
Re: [IC] Aluminum Plates for Pokers
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:52:09 »
whoa is that price including the cuts? color me interested. could also go with costar stabilizers instead and get them from WASD, or just do PCB mounted cherry stabilizers.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 21:53:57 »
Yup, TKL sized plate with all the cut for $25. That was a quote for one plate too, he did mention price points where it would drop, but he didn't give exact numbers where they break. I can only assume a poker would be even cheap since there is less machine time and less material.

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:00:22 »
I'd be interested in one or two!

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:10:16 »
Just a quick review.... the really tight thickness and hole tolerances are necessary for Costar stabs.  Cherry stabs are a bit more forgiving.  If the PCB is drilled for PCB mount then *nothing* matters.  The switches are very forgiving on tolerance variance and PCB mount is how all the Korean boards go because it's easier to stick with 1 part (and maybe availability) since they do thick acrylic plates, alu plates and no plate.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:11:51 »
Just a quick review.... the really tight thickness and hole tolerances are necessary for Costar stabs.  Cherry stabs are a bit more forgiving.  If the PCB is drilled for PCB mount then *nothing* matters.  The switches are very forgiving on tolerance variance and PCB mount is how all the Korean boards go because it's easier to stick with 1 part (and maybe availability) since they do thick acrylic plates, alu plates and no plate.

Fixed, I got them mixed up ^___^

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:14:40 »
honestly, while i think it would be really neat to give the option for costar, pokers already come with pcb mounted cherry stabilizers so that might be the best way to go.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:20:55 »
honestly, while i think it would be really neat to give the option for costar, pokers already come with pcb mounted cherry stabilizers so that might be the best way to go.

Option added. My on concern with that is cherry stabilizers are meant to be stuck into PCB which I'm guessing is a different thickness than .063". So we get a thinner plate or have to drill/counter drill to the right thickness so that the cherry stabilizers will work. Or am I wrong?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:23:36 »
Everything I have is pretty much cherry, so that's my vote

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:24:03 »
eruh?  Cherry PCB stabs are what are on the poker, you give a rectangular clearance around it in the plate and you're done.  It could by acrylic thick enough to go from the PCB all the way up.  I am thousands of miles from home so I can't compare the plate/PCB Cherry stab mounts, but the PCB mount *should* fit through the plate mount hole without issue.  The funky shaped Cherry cutout is only needed for plate mount.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:24:32 »
oooh i'm not sure. but the stabilizers don't really need to go all the way into the mount on the keycap, just far enough for it to be even.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:25:41 »
eruh?  Cherry PCB stabs are what are on the poker, you give a rectangular clearance around it in the plate and you're done.  It could by acrylic thick enough to go from the PCB all the way up.  I am thousands of miles from home so I can't compare the plate/PCB Cherry stab mounts, but the PCB mount *should* fit through the plate mount hole without issue.  The funky shaped Cherry cutout is only needed for plate mount.

Gottcha, I didn't think of that

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:29:59 »
yeah, I like it ... but I can't find 0.063" alu on my city :((

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:33:38 »
.060 is spec for Cherry plates, can you find that?  :)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 22:51:02 »
.060 is spec for Cherry plates, can you find that?  :)

Hmm, maybe I'm thinking of Costar again. So does the plate thickness really matter for Cherry plates?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: Mon, 17 September 2012, 23:14:41 »
Well, Cherry plate mount stabs and all their switches have a retention mechanism that is designed for .060 plates.  But it's plastic... so there's a whole lot more leeway than they are specifying.  Even with a perfect thickness plate it's not hard to shove a switch out of the plate if you really mean to.  For the ultimate solid build, use PCB mount switches and a plate.  I've tested a Cherry plate mount stab in a Phantom plate and it's pretty tough getting it out since the hole dimensions are spot on.  You need to rotate the stab out the same way it goes in, trying to do it straight will never work.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 02:46:27 »
I want a Race plate mount! If its possible, im in.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 September 2012, 02:48:35 by Cindori »

Offline skeaono

[IC] Aluminum Plates for Pokers
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 02:50:54 »
I'm in if colour anodizing is included.

Offline Icarium

• I AM A MONKEY!
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 02:56:05 »
I'd take one.
I had a sig once but it's gone. It used to display an icon of a Kinesis. Just imagine that.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 06:56:35 »
I'm in. Especially if they are sanded and anodized after cutting, like the Phantom plates.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 07:06:57 »
yeah, i like bot phantom and poker alu anod plate :D

Offline zyth3x

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 07:36:25 »
I would probably take two.

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 07:48:32 »
I'LL TAKE 10

Offline kaiserreich

• HHKB Elite
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 08:18:12 »
I am interested depending on the final cost.

But cherry stabs gets my vote

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 12:12:34 »
I'm in if colour anodizing is included.

Hmm, the only place I know that does anodizing has a $500 setup fee :(

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:26:46 »
well depending on interest the setup fee can be mitigated pretty easily... 500 is not a lot when you're talking group buy costs.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 13:30:03 »
well depending on interest the setup fee can be mitigated pretty easily... 500 is not a lot when you're talking group buy costs.

I only see around 20 plates right now, that's $25 per plate just in setup charges ie not including the plate or the fee to actually anodize :(

Offline Cindori

• My Blog
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 14:10:44 »

I only see around 20 plates right now, that's $25 per plate just in setup charges ie not including the plate or the fee to actually anodize :(

..I joked about the 10, u knew that right?

Can you really not find another anodizer?  Not that anodizing is a dealbreaker for me though.

If I want a plate for my race, what would you need from me?

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #28 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 14:36:21 »
If your interested in stainless steel i can get them done though it probably near double the quote for aluminum.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #29 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:11:14 »
If you wanted a race plate, I would need a .dwg file of the plate exactly how you want it.

My guy can do stainless too, but I haven't asked him how much those would be. I'll ask him once I send him the final plate design.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #30 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:19:07 »
hmm i wonder if there's a way to make one that is compatible with both poker and pure? maybe leave the right shift non-platemounted (just leave a hole there)? that's not really a great compromise though...

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:28:07 »
If you wanted a race plate, I would need a .dwg file of the plate exactly how you want it.

My guy can do stainless too, but I haven't asked him how much those would be. I'll ask him once I send him the final plate design.
i was told deep discount for more orders as last time I just ordered 2

Also just noticed your location... interest in where your ordering from I posted where I got mine in another thread.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #32 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:36:32 »

i was told deep discount for more orders as last time I just ordered 2

Also just noticed your location... interest in where your ordering from I posted where I got mine in another thread.

I would say but this guy mostly fills orders for companies and doesn't really venture into doing parts for individuals that often (he's doing me a favor). The only reason I know about him is because I work for a company that orders from him and I work with his dad. I don't really want the whole of GH bothering him with questions.

I will say this outright, I will be making a small profit on these plates (on shipping or per plate, idk yet) and I'll tell you guy exact how much I'll be charging extra. I don't think it would be fair if I hid that stuff so I'm not going to

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #33 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:43:35 »
Alright sounds close to how i got my plates but the company i went with will do smaller orders at higher cost if you contact the though the normally contacting route.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #34 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 17:54:11 »
Alright sounds close to how i got my plates but the company i went with will do smaller orders at higher cost if you contact the though the normally contacting route.

Yea, I think he is doing it at a "friend price" which is good for everyone since it's cheaper for everyone.

Offline TheProfosist

• Custom Layouts Only!
« Reply #35 on: Tue, 18 September 2012, 20:23:11 »

Yea, I think he is doing it at a "friend price" which is good for everyone since it's cheaper for everyone.
agreeed

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #36 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 15:48:44 »
*le update:

I sent my guy an email asking for a quote, here's what I sent him:
"It's me Ben again. Could you quote me a price for about 20 of the attached drawing (hatched is the plate area is the plate I need) using .063" 5052-h32 aluminum with that +/- .002" tolerance. Could you also tell me how much one plate would be, I want to test one out before buying 20 of them? Lastly, could you quote me on how much that same plate would be in stainless steel with the same thickness (near .060" thick)/tolerances?"

I'll upload the plate DWG when I get home, I don't like uploading stuff in the schools CAD lab

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 16:19:38 »
Here's a screenshot:

Here's the file:
https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/Poker%20Plate.dwg?w=7b1d771f

I think any changes we do need to make to the plate will be at a very minimal increase in price. I'm sure my guy is gone for the weekend by now so I should have a quote price by Monday.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2012, 16:21:20 by The_Beast »

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:39:25 »
it have issus on spacebar... distance from sw spacebar to PCB only ~3mm T_T and u need flip horizontal this stabilizer

this my file, I will cut it this morning... if it exact, I'll share T_T

4597-0

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 20:43:07 »
it have issus on spacebar... distance from sw spacebar to PCB only ~3mm T_T and u need flip horizontal this stabilizer

this my file, I will cut it this morning... if it exact, I'll share T_T

(Attachment Link)

Thanks a ton, like I said I just wanted to get this out to the guy so I can get a quote for price. The difference between your plate and my plate in terms of pricing, I think, would me very minimal.

Offline DarkShot

• Professional Procrastinator
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:31:59 »
How did I not see this thread.

I'm interested in one, and my vote is going to fitting it with the cherry stabs.

On a side note, do we need plate mount specific switches as well or could we use the switches that are on the board already?

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:35:39 »
The difference between plate and PCB mount is 2 plastic pins sticking out of the bottom of the switch housing.  There is no issue plate mounting a PCB mount switch as long as you either have holes in the PCB to deal with the pins (like KMAC) or cut the pins off (the plastic ones!!).
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 13:52:33 »
he got back to me about 1/2 hour ago, here it goes:

September 24, 2012

Dear Ben,

Thank you for your request for quote.

Poker Plate .063” Alum.
1-2 pieces are $21.18 each.
20 pieces are $9.78 each.

Poker Plate 16ga SS
1-2 pieces are $22.29 each.
20 pieces are $10.99 each.

Tolerances for these parts are + or – 0.002”

This will be reviewed when an order is placed. Prices as quoted will remain in effect for 14 days. Quantity and or design changes will be reviewed and may require a price revision. Tolerances will be as follows: Holes  +/- .007”, Part geometry +/- .010”.
Again, thank you for this opportunity to quote your parts. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me at any time.

The only thing that concerns me is the "Holes  +/- .007”, Part geometry +/- .010”" part

Offline alaricljs

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 14:09:32 »
I'm thinking that was a cut-n-paste standard form he sent you.  Would have made more sense to erase the conflicting bits tho.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #44 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 14:12:57 »
I'm thinking that was a cut-n-paste standard form he sent you.  Would have made more sense to erase the conflicting bits tho.

I think so too, but prices are amazing, especially for the stainless steel. I think TheProfosist paid $60 for two stainless plates.

Offline xavierblak

« Reply #45 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:10:42 »
This is interesting. I don't have a poker at the moment but I was thinking about getting one to swap out some keys and maybe give the ghetto greens a try.

How much work would it be to install the plate. Would you just have to pop-off the keycaps and put the plate over it? Or is it more involved than that?

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:39:59 »
i am so down for stainless steel AND aluminum, esp. at those prices.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #47 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:44:15 »
I don't mind ordering both, but we might not reach certain price breaks if there is only 3 stainless plates which of course = more expensive

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:51:45 »
well... i am committed to helping at least the aluminum get to the price break. i might still be into a stainless plate at ~$20 though.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #49 on: Mon, 24 September 2012, 16:57:35 »
I think I'll be going with stainless.

What do you guys think is a fair markup for these (% or $ per plate idk)? What would be the best way to ship these? Any other concerns before I start the GB? I'd like to start and have this done so I can ship around thanksgiving since I'll be home and will be able to pick up the plates (the laser shop is close to where I live) and get packing materials ready.

Right now I' thinking of packing them using a hardboard backer and wrapping them in packing paper. I'm also waiting for alixinhzai to send me his plate design. The one I sent for a quote looks right but alixinhzai is going to buy one and test it out (thanks a ton BTW)