Author Topic: [IC] Aluminum/Stainless Steel Plates for Pokers  (Read 34245 times)

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
Re: [IC] Aluminum/Stainless Steel Plates for Pokers
« Reply #100 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:40:51 »
Would moding the plate to fit PURE after it has already been cut for a poker, even work? The switch would work, but the stabilizer placement of the right shift might be a problem.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:45:28 »
Would moding the plate to fit PURE after it has already been cut for a poker, even work? The switch would work, but the stabilizer placement of the right shift might be a problem.

if you cut it out it wont matter. the stabilzers that come with your pure/poker are already PCB mounted so the lack of material on the board won't make a difference..
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #102 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 22:51:30 »

You would basically be making a cut out for the 1x1 key and the smaller shift and because of that they wouldn't be plate mount anymore.

Maybe my guy can cut the all the poker plates, then just make a cutout for the pure's 1x1/shift using a modifed poker plate dwg. But I'm not sure if he would count that as two different parts and not give a quantity discount.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #103 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:04:57 »
Most Pures that people currently own are the backlit models, correct? I think it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to desolder all the LEDs as well as all the switches to do the plate mod for the Pure. Hence the reason for only going with Poker plates for now.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #104 on: Wed, 26 September 2012, 23:06:56 »
Most Pures that people currently own are the backlit models, correct? I think it would be a huge pain in the ass to have to desolder all the LEDs as well as all the switches to do the plate mod for the Pure. Hence the reason for only going with Poker plates for now.

Didn't think of that but that's another very valid point

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Magna224

« Reply #105 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 02:18:35 »
I would probably be in for one. My poker is almost perfect now the plate was the last piece.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline TDub

« Reply #106 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 02:49:28 »
At these prices I am definitly in for at least 2! Can you ship internationally?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 09:04:47 »
At these prices I am definitly in for at least 2! Can you ship internationally?

I will be but I'm not sure how much shipping will be. I guessing but I think it will be less than $10

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:22:02 »
if can anod alu, I'm in for 1 silver for poker and 1 silver for filco =))

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:25:00 »

I'm not sure if I can or not. The place I emailed about a quote hasn't gotten back to me yet

Plus I'm still thinking stainless is the way to go

Offline nebo

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:33:24 »
Is this going to be for filco tkl as well?!? Either way I'd be in for a poker, don't have one yet but want one eventually and this kind of stuff never seems to happen twice.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 11:38:26 »
Is this going to be for filco tkl as well?!? Either way I'd be in for a poker, don't have one yet but want one eventually and this kind of stuff never seems to happen twice.

No, this current one will not be for a filco. This first one will be for the poker

But like I've said many times before, if you want me to run a plate (race, pure, tkl, fullsize, custom....) I'll run it as long as a dwg file is provided.

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #112 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:09:56 »
I'd be in for one for sure and probably two even since I have two pokers. It would be a good excuse to start leaning to solder.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #113 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 12:13:45 »
I'd be in for one for sure and probably two even since I have two pokers. It would be a good excuse to start leaning to solder.

GGGGOOOOOODDDDD ^___^ more order = cheaper for everybody

The anodizing place got back to me, light bronze and black have a minimum setup fee of $500 and the copper was $600 :(. If someone really want aluminum I'll order it but you'll need to find someone else to anodize it and you're probably not going as good as a price break since I'm going to lead/focus more on stainless

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:01:33 »
Will the plate feature those nice cutouts like the Phantom ones? So you can swap switches without desoldering?
If not, is it feasible and affordable?

What price range are we currently facing?
Do you ship internatioanally? If not, to Canada?

Colour me interested, but decision depends on your answers ;)

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 15:03:25 »
From the look of the prototype it seems that would be a yes (to the top bit, he's already mentioned intl shipping as well... and the price range)
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline oneproduct

• @Ubisoft
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 16:13:50 »
The anodizing place that I used for my aluminum poker cases didn't have any setup fees, just MOQs (~$90 per color, with the only selection begin red, blue, gold, silver). If the price of anodizing is a big issue I could check. Only thing is that I'm in Canada, but I don't imagine that shipping all the plates together would be horribly expensive if that was needed. Anodizing was about $12 or so for a poker case, so I imagine these would be similar. Just putting it out there as an option.
Layout: Colemak
Fastest typing speed: 131 WPM on typeracer, 136 WPM on 10fastfingers.
Daily driver: Filco Tenkeyless MX Brown with ergonomically weighted, lubed springs.
Ergo keyboards: Truly Ergonomic, Kinesis Advantage, Ergodox

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 17:12:50 »
From the look of the prototype it seems that would be a yes (to the top bit, he's already mentioned intl shipping as well... and the price range)
Yeah, I just found out about this thread and was too lazy to read it all.
I did now.

Great project! I will buy one plate for sure!
I don't care for anodising. Stainless steel is good enough.
And if it's really universal for stabs, the better!

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #118 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 18:29:59 »
The anodizing place that I used for my aluminum poker cases didn't have any setup fees, just MOQs (~$90 per color, with the only selection begin red, blue, gold, silver). If the price of anodizing is a big issue I could check. Only thing is that I'm in Canada, but I don't imagine that shipping all the plates together would be horribly expensive if that was needed. Anodizing was about $12 or so for a poker case, so I imagine these would be similar. Just putting it out there as an option.

Thanks a ton for the offer, but I still think I'm going to run mainly with stainless because it isn't that much more than the aluminum counterpart (especially considering there would be no finishing charge ie anodizing) and I think it looks pretty darn cool.

I could run an aluminum and stainless plate at the same time but it's going to break up the GB's power making it more expensive for everyone.

Offline JonDBurnett

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 19:18:39 »
im in for one too!!  that sounds awesome :D
Filco MJ2 TKL | HHKB Type-S w/ MX Sliders

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #120 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 19:52:43 »
Is there any way I can get one of these in SS but with some bends in it, making a rudimentary (but totally awesome) case? I want to build a DOXkb. If not, can I get a larger plate with the same pattern cut in it (And get my roommate to borrow the press at school for 10 minutes) ?

I notice DOX doesn't have the pictures up anymore, so I downloaded and installed solidworks's viewer and rendered up some:
http://i.imm.io/FRGT.png
http://i.imm.io/FRHf.png
http://i.imm.io/FRHl.png

Just curious, why do you guys want anodizing? Anodizing has 2 purposes: color and prevents surface oxidation. Getting a custom color is a good reason to go with anodized aluminum, but then again, it's just a plate that goes under the cap, and hardly any of the color will show. If you want anodizing to enhance and "harden" the surface, then just go with stainless steel instead.

I want the plate for the feel of the switches. I could care less about color or strength differences between steel vs aluminum.

PS- this thread should be moved to the GB section. I didn't even know it existed until today.
Bytheway, Anodizing increases oxidation, which is a good thing for aluminium, because AlO2 is hard.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #121 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 20:03:20 »
Is there any way I can get one of these in SS but with some bends in it, making a rudimentary (but totally awesome) case? I want to build a DOXkb. If not, can I get a larger plate with the same pattern cut in it (And get my roommate to borrow the press at school for 10 minutes) ?

I notice DOX doesn't have the pictures up anymore, so I downloaded and installed solidworks's viewer and rendered up some:
http://i.imm.io/FRGT.png
http://i.imm.io/FRHf.png
http://i.imm.io/FRHl.png

Just curious, why do you guys want anodizing? Anodizing has 2 purposes: color and prevents surface oxidation. Getting a custom color is a good reason to go with anodized aluminum, but then again, it's just a plate that goes under the cap, and hardly any of the color will show. If you want anodizing to enhance and "harden" the surface, then just go with stainless steel instead.

I want the plate for the feel of the switches. I could care less about color or strength differences between steel vs aluminum.

PS- this thread should be moved to the GB section. I didn't even know it existed until today.
Bytheway, Anodizing increases oxidation, which is a good thing for aluminium, because AlO2 is hard.

Could I order a larger plate with legs and have it formed, yes. Am I for this GB, no.

I should just put this in my signature ^______^
But like I've said many times before, if you want me to run a plate (race, pure, tkl, fullsize, custom....) I'll run it as long as a dwg file is provided.

I'd even do individual plates as long as you know they're going to be more expensive. I'd rather run them as a GB so I'm not bugging my laser guy all the time (and because I'm away at school) but I'd do single plates as well.

Offline alixinhzai

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 27 September 2012, 23:56:19 »
if u want use a larger plate like this T_T u must be design another case  :|

Offline Doltoid

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:35:48 »
I would be interested in at least one plate (probably two). You can ship to Canada, right?

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:40:14 »

I think that dorkvader wants this large plate so it can be bend and used as a case. So plate = case

I would be interested in at least one plate (probably two). You can ship to Canada, right?

Yuppers, but I'm not 100% sure on how much shipping will cost for international

I should have the GB thread up sometime tomorrow
« Last Edit: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:54:15 by The_Beast »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 00:49:09 »

I think that dorkvader wants this large plate so it can be bend and used as a case. So plate = case

Yuppers, but I'm not 100% sure on how much shipping will cost for international

I should have the GB thread up sometime tomorrow

Fixed!

Offline Loligagger

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 16:48:01 »
Interested in a plate as well. Is there a possibility for materials other than aluminum/stainless steel? An acrylic plate would be pretty neat, as you'd still be able to see the PCB underneath.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 16:50:40 »
Interested in a plate as well. Is there a possibility for materials other than aluminum/stainless steel? An acrylic plate would be pretty neat, as you'd still be able to see the PCB underneath.

I'm pretty sure my guy can do more materials than just stainless and aluminum. I'm pretty sure he does a wide array of plastics and I think he does wood too.

GB will be up later tonight, I'm at a aerial robotics competition right now

Offline Doltoid

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:27:49 »

I'm pretty sure my guy can do more materials than just stainless and aluminum. I'm pretty sure he does a wide array of plastics and I think he does wood too.

Please, please, please tell me you are recording this.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 22:42:47 »

Please, please, please tell me you are recording this.

I sure will be bro, but I probably won't have it up online for a few days

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #130 on: Fri, 28 September 2012, 23:09:11 »
*Le awaiting approval