Author Topic: [IC] PS2 to USB adapter  (Read 14991 times)

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
[IC] PS2 to USB adapter
« on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:02:00 »
I found an excellent PS2 to USB adapter, and want to run a GB for it. I actually hadn't heard of it until recently, but I've spoken with some people who have used it and love it.

I know the blue cube is the go-to, but I really don't like the form factor. The Belkin one has a good form factor, but finding the one belkin one that's good in really difficult (I have three belkins that are terrible)

This is a cable-type adapter, and the electronics are housed in the back of the USB plug. Here's a picture:

Also included in this (as an option) will be SDL to PS2 cables, so you can plug in your unicomp or model M.
Here's a link to unicomp's page: http://pckeyboard.com/page/Cables/1395110
Update: it might come from Mkawa's box of real, live, SDL cables.

Final pricing, payment, shipping, packing and distribution are still TBD, though I do have some ideas in the works for getting this done quickly and easily.

MOQ is 50 for this to happen
Please fill out the form
(Thanks to samwisekoi for making the forms. I will be keeping track of interest)

Ballpark cost: $13-$20 for Q50, possibly lower if there are higher price tiers.

These weigh 19 grams, or about 0.65 Oz.
It will cost $6.55 to ship internationally (any county, as far as I can tell)
Domestic shipping sholud be under $3. I'm getting about $2.07 for a 2 Oz package.

This might not be definite at all, depending on who does all the shipping.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2013, 17:56:44 by dorkvader »

Offline dorkvader

Re: [IC] PS2 to USB adapter
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:02:34 »
Order totals (Updated 2-19-13)

(1+ is counted as 1, for now)

PS2 to USB adapter
46+

SDL cables form unicomp

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 February 2013, 19:07:41 by dorkvader »

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:05:48 »
I don't understand SDL to PS2... that's what all Model M's come with already!

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:07:16 »
If you need a spare, or have started a project that involves them or something. I imagine most people will need 0. It was included by request.
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 January 2013, 18:09:32 by dorkvader »

Offline r3dx

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:55:38 »
submitted.  :D
Filco MJ2 Ninja | CM Storm QFR | CM Storm QFR | IBM Model M | IBM Model M SSK | ErgoDox |
LZ-GH

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 19:58:47 »
Same here.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:00:14 »
I have one of these and they work great.  GLWIC.
Russ

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
[IC] PS2 to USB adapter
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:02:52 »
Form filled, thanks :)

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:09:42 »
If phetto is in, so am I.

John

Offline phetto

• HHKB JP
  • * Elevated Elder
[IC] PS2 to USB adapter
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:14:18 »
John, we need to get them professionally sleeved as well.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:26:42 »
What is the base price on these? Or at least a ballpark figure? I have seen some pretty insanely priced adapters is why I ask.

By the way, the only thing special about the blue cube is that it passes a higher amount of current than most, something the Model M requires. A bit of wiring magic and you can up the amperage on many of the others as well. As for form factor, I built mine into the housing, but these look good.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline boost

• BOSTMOBILE
  • * Elevated Elder
  • NY Giants!!!
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:28:55 »
form filled for 2 ps2 and 1 sld.

Lets get this going!!!

edit: 4000 post ^_^
"Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines."

-Enzo Ferrari

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 20:38:18 »
What is the base price on these? Or at least a ballpark figure? I have seen some pretty insanely priced adapters is why I ask.

By the way, the only thing special about the blue cube is that it passes a higher amount of current than most, something the Model M requires. A bit of wiring magic and you can up the amperage on many of the others as well. As for form factor, I built mine into the housing, but these look good.

This adapter sacrifices efficiency for compatibility, which is why it works well for the Model M.  It does not support remote suspend, for example.

Russ

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:30:54 »
these are bar none the best adapters for model Ms and other finnicky devices short of a teensy-based adapter with soarer's firmware (the benefit of these adapters, however, is that they cost half as much as a teensy).

the specific adapters we're looking at are these guys: http://www.idinnovations.com/usb%20adaptors.html

they are programmable as well, but reverse engineering would be required to program them with anything other than the binaries on that page.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 28 January 2013, 23:39:21 »
They do look nice, much less untidy than some of the blocky adaptors out there... but I also want to see some ballpark figures.  I could see getting a couple at 5USD, but none at twenty
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:41:28 »

I have a quote from the company for a quantity of 50. I've asked about higher price tiers. I don't know about cost of shipping to me, or he cost of shipping to y'all, so I estimate $15 or so.

When the GB goes up, I'll have all the financials worked out and in the open. I don't want to say too much now and get people's hopes up until I have something definitive. I will not be profiting on this GB.

About current, why not just connect the 5V and Ground directly from the USB to the PS2? This is what the teensy does (I believe) and it works great. These do work with model M's, from what I have seen (I have not tried it myself yet, not having one, but everyone who I've asked who has tried it, it has worked)

Also, on the SDL cables, they are from unicomp: I don't know the length, but here is a link to the item. It looks like the standard length (not the rarer long length)
http://pckeyboard.com/page/Cables/1395110
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:45:55 by dorkvader »

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 00:54:57 »
we don't have a quote on the cables yet, but depending on the quantity we may not even have to go to unicomp. i have an embarassing number of them in a box already :X

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 02:15:46 »
I'm in for one (form filled out), but if it comes down to Mkawa's box, I can go without if anyone needs one.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:18:37 »
Sorry for the silly questions:

1. I believe there are active and passive adaptors - which is this?

2. I already have an AT to PS/2 adaptor (for an AT keyboard), can I plug that adaptor into this one to go AT to PS/2 to USB?

3. Although there is a passing reference to Mac OS in their specification PDF, does anyone know if this will allow a PS/2 (or AT, heh) keyboard to work on an Intel Mac?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 04:23:45 »
thanks for arranging this;
(hoping for a better price on the ps/2-usb though)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:04:20 »
Sorry for the silly questions:

1. I believe there are active and passive adaptors - which is this?

2. I already have an AT to PS/2 adaptor (for an AT keyboard), can I plug that adaptor into this one to go AT to PS/2 to USB?

3. Although there is a passing reference to Mac OS in their specification PDF, does anyone know if this will allow a PS/2 (or AT, heh) keyboard to work on an Intel Mac?
1. This is active (Passive adapters ane generally useless)
2. This should work just fine
3. I would imagine this works, but I don't have one to try.

If someone has one of these, have they tried it on a mac?

Offline jeroplane

« Reply #21 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:26:55 »
I have a cable-type one just like this that I got off eBay for around $2, as well as a dual adapter version for both keyboard and mouse on my 11900. They work great. GLWIC.

Edit: I've just tested one on my Macbook Pro and it works fine. The version I have is also active with the components in the back end of the USB plug; it looks like this.
« Last Edit: Tue, 29 January 2013, 08:36:46 by jeroplane »

My signature hasn't changed since 2012. I should really update it.

Offline rknize

• * Administrator
    • metaruss
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 10:03:20 »
I have two of those.  They are "iffy" on old Model Ms but it works OK on my Unicomps.  The behavior seems to depend on the host port for some reason.  I also have two of these and they are pretty solid, even when attached to my KVM:

Russ

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 20:27:57 »
Depending on price I may wish to reduce quantity, but would like at least one for sure. I wish there were a long cable version, so I could just cut off the ps/2 end and attach direct to the keyboard pcb for permanent and easy ps/2 to usb mod.

Offline deepthawt

• ︻̷̿┻̿═━一
    • my programming hobby site, interactive jigsaws, photos &c
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 29 January 2013, 21:22:39 »

Not all Model M's include an attached PS2 cable.
I have some Model M's with SDL  (6 pin Shielded Data Link) female connectors on the back.
More
[| Ducky Shine II 9087 Yellow LED/BlueMX  |  Saitek Eclipse II  |  IBM Model M 1391401  | Cherry G80-5000  |  Logitech diNovo Mini  |  Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000  |  Matias Quiet Pro PC  |  Dell TH836  |  NEC KB-6923  |  Fujitsu FKB4700  |  GearHead Mini USB  KB1700U (89 key) | Filco Majestouch-2 ninja/blues  |   Matias Mini Quiet Pro PC | Ducky Shine 4/Clear MX | E Element RGB Silver/Black Outemu |]

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 06:31:06 »
The next price break is at 250, and it's only $1 off.

Will look into shipping now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #26 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 15:06:56 »
Hope it's not too late, and although it won't make the next price break, I've added 1.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Paranoid

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 30 January 2013, 21:24:12 »
That ebay seller is in my town.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 31 January 2013, 17:29:40 »
I think you should definitely get lower prices than this guy if possible:
http://www.benl.ebay.be/itm/NEW-PS2-to-USB-or-RS232-Adapter-Converter-Keyboard-Barcode-Scanner-IBM-Type-M-/280839328798?pt=US_Parallel_Serial_PS_2_Cables_Adapters&hash=item416354141e
total Price will be lower than that, almost certainly (Cost is lower, and shipping shouldn't be that much unless it's going international, or you want a box or something.)

Once this gets to 50, and I have distribution/payment figured out, I'll make a GB with all the numbers clearly outlined.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 01 February 2013, 18:20:39 »
We only need a few more interested for this to happen.

Edit: I cant math always :(
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 February 2013, 17:45:20 by dorkvader »

Offline quake4mhg

« Reply #31 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 01:56:43 »
Form filled. Probably need 2 if price is right :)

Offline csimi

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 02 February 2013, 12:06:55 »
I'd be more interested in something with the same design and form factor except the reverse, a passive USB to PS/2 adapter.
All other USB to PS/2 adapters are single brick style which puts too much strain on the port not to mention it doesn't fit into my case (along with VGA->DVI adapters).
« Last Edit: Sat, 02 February 2013, 12:09:02 by csimi »

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 13:55:57 »
Got a question about availability: I will ship these internationally. I am pretty sure it'll be okay in a bubble mailer. I'm not sure about the weight, but a 5 Oz box (For example) would cost about USD12.75 to the UK.
http://ircalc.usps.com/MailServices.aspx?country=10150&m=6&p=0&o=5

We are at 32-35 interested, only 15-18 or so more.

Offline Jmneuv

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:04:50 »
If you remove the packaging i'd expect it to be less than 4 oz. for one. The height i'd say within 0.75 in.

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
« Reply #35 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 15:07:22 »
Form filled! Need one soon for my Northgate Omnikey :)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 03 February 2013, 17:47:54 »
If you remove the packaging i'd expect it to be less than 4 oz. for one. The height i'd say within 0.75 in.
I agree, it can't be very heavy at all. I have no trouble repackaging them for people to save weight/money.

33+ now, not too much longer until we have enough orders to GB

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:02:09 »
i'm going to personally do payment and distribution on this, as i need about 20 of them (this revelation brings us to 43, by the way :D)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:30:19 »
When are you estimating payment will be due?

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 08:34:32 »
total guesstimate: about a month give or take (assuming we can find the 7 more units within that month)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 09:22:22 »
If I for sure am in for one, but would like two depending, should I just put one in the form?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #41 on: Tue, 05 February 2013, 19:14:37 »
If I for sure am in for one, but would like two depending, should I just put one in the form?
Put whichever you're leaning towards. You can always PM me to update.

Looks like it will be roughly $13 shipped US, or about $17 int. (Min fee for int. shipping is $6 or so)
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2013, 13:38:24 by dorkvader »

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 23:03:26 »
I would like to add another couple of cables. Make my total 3 PS2 to USB and 1 SDL to PS2.

Thanks,
John

Offline Gupgup

• * Vendor
[IC] PS2 to USB adapter
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 18 February 2013, 23:20:01 »
How is this coming along?

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 19:07:13 »
I would like to add another couple of cables. Make my total 3 PS2 to USB and 1 SDL to PS2.

Thanks,
John
I've updated your totals.

How is this coming along?
We need another 4 people interested. Ideally, I'd get a few more, just in case someone doesn't pay.

Offline Dianoda

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 17:52:13 »
Form submitted.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:41:00 »
We now have enough interest to make this a GB. I'm writing the post now and will post a link.

Payments will open on 01 march. Details to come.

Offline jcrouse

« Reply #47 on: Wed, 20 February 2013, 22:56:41 »
We now have enough interest to make this a GB. I'm writing the post now and will post a link.

Payments will open on 01 march. Details to come.

Awesome news. Thank you fro doing this for us.

John