Author Topic: [IC] AKB Vero v2 with Topre support - GB will run from 5th of April  (Read 11646 times)

Offline antipode-studio

Introduction on Vero from AKB:
The genesis for what would later become Vero started in mid-2021, when my friend asked me how I felt about designing a 60% but with a fixed (true) HHKB layout, especially given that there weren’t many MX customs offering that at the time.
After chipping away at it for a few weeks and months in my spare time it started to come together more, but it wasn’t until Antipode’s inception that things really started to move forward.
Final details were decided, the name was chosen and OCM created the weight engraving of a sweet pea flower to add the proverbial cherry on top.

The name means “true” in Italian, and after researching deep into cultural symbolism that would reflect the name I discovered that generations ago in French and Italian superstition the flower would be worn as a sign of truth and persistence.
It was a tenuous link to humor myself if nothing else.

The Vero was sold in-stock through Antipode in November 2022 and due to the glowing feedback from customers, AP and I both decided the project resonated too strongly to just move on from.
 Further experience and a few tweaks later and I firmly believe this board now is the best it possibly can be and fully reflects the original vision I had hoped for.

Changes from V1:
Mounting changed from top mount to sock gasket mount.
Type feel is very similar due to the firm gaskets but plate vibration is now more carefully controlled.

The weight fits in from above rather than from below.
This is so an internal lip can be added around the whole weight to conceal the horizontal clearance between the bottom case and the weight.

Polycarbonate version introduced.
Because the front height was so low the material was very thin and less stable on the PC board compared to the aluminium version.
This version has an additional screw at the front of the case to remove the additional vibration caused and to provide extra stability to the entire front assembly.
For an EC build, this version will require a KLC stabiliser wire for the spacebar.

EC part clearance added on both versions.
Gotta support our homie Cipulot.

Externally the design remains unchanged.

Specs & Features:
6.9 degree typing angle
Clean seamless construction
16.5mm front height (16mm at front of bezel)
Estimated weight: 1.5kg (built)
Layout inspired by the original HHKB layout
6063 Aluminium top/bottom case
Engraved weight, materials TBD
Top-mounted daughterboard for easier assembly
QMK/VIA compatible PCB by Martin
Option for EC kit, designed by Cipulot
Further options and colourways TBD

Plate & PCB compatibility:

Default MX plate compatibility

Default EC plate compatibility

Full MX PCB compatibility

Full EC PCB compatibility

V1 Prototype Photos:

Void

More

Midnight

More

FnF Green

More

V2 Prototype Photos:

More

Current sale plans:
Antipode exclusive in-stock or GB sale(method not decided yet, it depends on feedback from the IC form), 100-150 planned units, estimated price $400-450 as GB, further details TBD

Special thanks from AKB and Antipode:
ilikerustoo, for being the reason why this was designed to begin with.
Cipulot, for his stellar work on the EC kit.
OCM, for his lovely engraving design and being an all-round MVP in this community.
All V1 buyers, for their support in the first sale, and for making a V2 a possibility.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2024, 13:26:10 by antipode-studio »

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
Re: [IC] AKB Vero v2
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 20 December 2023, 09:52:34 »
Let’s go!

Offline keepoto

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 20 December 2023, 10:26:41 »
great to hear this, GLWIC!

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 20 December 2023, 12:33:18 »
Yes! This board is so sleek. I need the EC Vero on my desk pronto

Offline sirieous

• help
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 21 December 2023, 08:52:19 »
Still love the r1 version of this to this day. Gorgeous board, gl to all that go for r2

Offline antipode-studio

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 19 January 2024, 17:10:22 »
Thanks for all the awesome feedback thus far! Please keep it comming.

With regards to colors, as it looks now we will not bring back any of the r1 colors, we want to test out new things.

We have received the EC PCB's, waiting for plates to arrive for testing.

We have shipped out a couple Vero V2's to content creators, more info TBA.

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 03:26:22 »
With regards to colors, as it looks now we will not bring back any of the r1 colors, we want to test out new things.

We have received the EC PCB's, waiting for plates to arrive for testing.

Good news, thank you.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline Full

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 20 January 2024, 08:37:56 »
Hello!

We finally received photos of the revised PC sample with the additional mounting point and the stronger purple, I think it looks amazing!

Hi!

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 21 January 2024, 09:33:06 »
It's an AKB board, nothing else to say.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline antipode-studio

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 29 February 2024, 03:51:24 »
EC/Topre kit has been tested and confirmed to work

We are excited to announce that we have a GB dte for the Vero V2, it will run from the 5th of April 2024 for 3 weeks, or until all 150 spots have been sold.

More info on pricing and available colors be announced.

Keep an eye on the Vero v2 channel on our discord server for more updates http://discord.antipode.no

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

Re: [IC] AKB Vero v2 with Topre support - GB will run from 5th of April
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 March 2024, 18:57:17 »
that purple!!  :-*

Offline Ekish

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 07 March 2024, 08:40:54 »
Am I looking at this correct?
EC with ISO!?

SIGN ME UP!

Offline antipode-studio

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 10 March 2024, 11:39:43 »
Am I looking at this correct?
EC with ISO!?

SIGN ME UP!

That's right! :)

Offline antipode-studio

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 14:31:19 »
Hi everyone!

After getting a lot of feedback from the IC form we have now decided on final colors and plates that will be available for the GB.

There are renders and pricing info up on our website https://www.antipode.studio/collections/akb-vero-v2

The GB will go live on the 5th of April! A GH GB post will be posted at the beginning of April.

Offline btctopre

« Reply #14 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 14:49:20 »
looks good! if SS remains as the only plate option for EC, will the plate files be released at some point?

Offline antipode-studio

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 14:58:13 »
looks good! if SS remains as the only plate option for EC, will the plate files be released at some point?

Yes, all plate files will be made public after we have sold out the extras