Author Topic: 【IC】S-one -65% Alice by Sicklestudio  (Read 7467 times)

Offline Sicklestudio

【IC】S-one -65% Alice by Sicklestudio
« on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 00:23:38 »
Hello everyone, we are Sickle Studio, a group of individuals deeply passionate about custom keyboards.

Recently, many studios have released some high-quality and affordable products.
However, few studios have introduced a cost-effective product with an Alice layout. I believe this is the moment when our value shines through.

Next, I will introduce our long-awaited first product — S-one.

Ⅰ. layout and appearance
All along, we have hoped to break through ourselves, so we have many ideas that we want to realize through this Alice. Looking good and being easy to use is the direction we pursue. However, when confirming the layout, we found that we underestimated the diversity of the Alice keyboards. Despite Alice being a relatively niche layout, there are still at least dozens of variants, and the various layouts dazzled us.

At first, we wanted to use the layout of the Spring because we felt that this layout is very symmetrical and comfortable in appearance. However, placing the right shift to the right of the arrow keys would increase the learning curve. This led to intense internal debates, and ultimately, we decided to use the left shift and sink the arrow keys a bit. Although this might slightly increase the cost, we believe that this makes the appearance most coordinated and, at the same time, more user-friendly.

Of course, there are some other changes as well, without going into too much detail. You can see from the pictures that the overall direction of the modifications is for aesthetics and ease of use.

After establishing the layout, we started to focus on the design of the appearance. A simple and compact appearance is the design direction. Therefore, on the front and sides, we emphasize a more coordinated frame proportion to present the keyboard in its authentic beauty. Doing so is not to save costs but to better reflect the surface treatment of the keyboard. We use a 150-grit zircon sand treatment on the surface of the aluminum alloy, followed by anodizing. The surface of the keyboard, after this treatment, is very delicate and smooth.

On the back of the keyboard body, a weight is placed in the middle for decoration, and there are two versions to choose from: anodized and stainless steel.

Anodized

Stainless steel

LOGO

Ⅱ.Structure
In terms of structure, we have decided to use the widely accepted and relatively stable one - “Gasket”. The kit comes with two types of gasket silicone strips and silicone beans, and players can choose according to their preference.
For more efficient disassembly and assembly, the upper and lower covers of S One will use a ball catch to achieve quick-disassembly.
To ensure the independence of the two main key areas of Alice, we have used a separate PCB

gasket silicone strips and silicone beans

Ball catch parts

separate PCB

Ⅲ.Colorways

E-coating white

Ano-grey

Ano-red

Ano-purple

If you have any suggestion about the colorways, welcome to leave your comments.

Currently, the S one kit is still in the sampling stage, with an expected starting price of $149. We warmly welcome your valuable opinions and suggestions! If you are interested in Sickle Studio or S one, feel free to join our Discord community. We will provide updates and release more information as soon as possible, so stay tuned!

IC FORM
« Last Edit: Fri, 05 January 2024, 02:40:18 by Sicklestudio »

Offline DirtyGingy

Re: 【IC】S-one -65% Alice by Sicklestudio
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 01:52:45 »
Well, you have my attention. But why is the PCB in two parts? The case design doesn't need it

Offline juliatrotter

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 28 December 2023, 05:34:11 »
Hello everyone, we are Sickle Studio, a group of individuals deeply passionate about custom keyboards.

Recently, many studios have released some high-quality and affordable products.
However, few studios have introduced a cost-effective product with an Alice layout. I believe this is the moment when our value shines through.

Next, I will introduce our long-awaited first product — S-one.
I'm interested in custom keyboards, especially if they're affordable which would be great. I hope you can introduce more products.

Offline Sicklestudio

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 30 December 2023, 00:57:19 »
Well, you have my attention. But why is the PCB in two parts? The case design doesn't need it

The typing feeling will be better.

Offline DirtyGingy

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 30 December 2023, 07:54:21 »

Does that mean it has two plates as well?

Offline frickingben

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 January 2024, 23:09:13 »
can we get an exploded view of the board   :-[ ;D

Offline deadatsin_e

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 09:55:07 »
Would love a pink colorway! I am on the hunt for a pink Alice  :D

Offline Sicklestudio

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 19:49:58 »

Does that mean it has two plates as well?

Yep, there will be two plates.

Offline Sicklestudio

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 03 January 2024, 20:27:35 »
can we get an exploded view of the board   :-[ ;D
We'll release it in next IC.

Offline Sicklestudio

Re: 【IC】S-one -65% Alice by Sicklestudio 24-3-16 UPDATED
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 00:15:15 »
Hello guys. Long time no see.
We're back here to give some update. This project is still ongoing.

We re-prototyping the S-one, and add a badge on the front to make it more interesting.

Offline robotictomato

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 11:14:53 »
I preferred the top without the logo - it was cleaner. You could consider replacing the "sickle" text on the back with an engraved logo instead.

Offline garage_logician

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 16 March 2024, 18:40:27 »
Discord invite is invalid.