Author Topic: [IC] Kalkulators - calculator and a numpad in one.  (Read 3145 times)

Offline geonaire

[IC] Kalkulators - calculator and a numpad in one.
« on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 04:47:56 »

Kalkulators - a calculator and a numpad in one.

Index.
1. What is Kalkulators?
2. Features
3. Dimensions
4. Gallery
5. Kit contents
6. Pricing

1. What is Kalkulators?

Kalkulators is an 8 digit 7-segment display calculator running on 1xAA battery. On USB-C, it can act as a regular numpad/macropad.

The assembly is an FR4 sandwich consisting of a backplate, main PCB and a switch plate. The 7-segment displays are guarded by a smokey acrylic plate. Uses M2 hardware.

2. Features, specs.

- 8 digit 7-seg display, color blue
- display dimming
- STM32 mcu
- support for QMK and VIA, meaning, firmware can be tailored to your exact needs
- supports MX switches and PCB mount stabilizers
- USB-C
- auto switching between calculator and regular keyboard mode, when connected to a host computer
- Largest possible calculated/displayed number: 99'999'999

3. Dimensions

76 mm x 204 mm
Height from unit's bottom to acrylic guard's top: 30 mm

4. Gallery

5. What's in the kit?

The Kalkulators kit consists of:
- An assembled PCB ( minus switches & stabilizers )
- FR4 switch plate
- FR4 back plate ( One side has an embossed mathematical sign design, the other side is plain black FR4 color. You can choose which side to show. )
- Laser cut acrylic screen guard
- M2 hardware needed for assembly

You have to bring your own switches, 3x2U PCB mount stabilizers and, of course, your favorite keycaps  ;D Oh, and an AA battery.

6. Pricing

Not finalized,
Approximately 70 euro + shipping

Eagerly waiting for your feedback, suggestions and more!  :)

« Last Edit: Tue, 20 February 2024, 07:32:06 by geonaire »

Offline geonaire

Re: [IC] Kalkulators - calculator and a numpad in one.
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 12 February 2024, 04:49:24 »
Reserved!

Offline Nevrest

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 20:43:55 »
Love this, been wanting to do something similar ever since I saw the ducky pocket numpad.
A couple things I would change personally:
1) I would love to see a rechargable battery.
2) BT, since there's a battery anyways this would be nice-
3) A way to use the calculator mode while connected to a host.

All in all, love the idea, GLWIC!

Offline spingo

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 13 February 2024, 23:38:45 »
If I was still in college and new about keyboards like I do now; I would have saved up to buy this. Really cool.

Can it be programmed when not connected to the host to do layers? If so, how advanced can the calculations become? Be good to know it can do more than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Props to making your 360 view gif, the good ol' hard working man's way of making 360 gifs. I liked the charm it brought to the project.

All in all, props to you. I like seeing it.

Offline geonaire

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 03:35:07 »
Love this, been wanting to do something similar ever since I saw the ducky pocket numpad.
A couple things I would change personally:
1) I would love to see a rechargable battery.
2) BT, since there's a battery anyways this would be nice-
3) A way to use the calculator mode while connected to a host.

All in all, love the idea, GLWIC!

Thanks! About the bluetooth, yeah, that would be a lot more convenient. To my knowledge QMK doesn't have good BT support, so it should be ported to ZMK or something similar. It can be used as a calculator when connected to a host by pressing a key combo!

Offline geonaire

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 15 February 2024, 03:43:09 »
If I was still in college and new about keyboards like I do now; I would have saved up to buy this. Really cool.

Can it be programmed when not connected to the host to do layers? If so, how advanced can the calculations become? Be good to know it can do more than addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Props to making your 360 view gif, the good ol' hard working man's way of making 360 gifs. I liked the charm it brought to the project.

All in all, props to you. I like seeing it.

Thanks! Yep, absolutely, there can be multiple layers even when not connected to a host, for now I have only implemented these 4 operations, but stuff like squareroot, log could also definitely be implemented. In my opinion the biggest limiting factor is the nature of the displays themselves. They can only show a limited amount of characters. Some of the letters we use are just plain impossible to be displayed, "m", for example :).

Offline vodanhdaisu

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 02 March 2024, 05:48:30 »
Very interesting project. This is what Im waiting for. I wish there will be a fully aluminum case option