Author Topic: [IC] GMK Nichirin  (Read 54650 times)

Offline FLFrostBite

[IC] GMK Nichirin
« on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:15:46 »

Hey everyone!
I'm proud to introduce to you a project that I've been working on for the last few months:
GMK Nichirin

This set is inspired by Tanjirou and Nezuko from Demon Slayer and attempts to portray the characters in the best way possible by combining colors and tones that relate to the characters and anime, while still being aesthetically pleasing and easy on the eyes.
Kitting for this set is similar to a few others that I have seen lately with a few minor changes! For example, the accented and base colored F13 keys!

It would be greatly appreciated if you could fill out the Google Form
For further discussion or feedback directly to me, feel free to join the discord server for GMK Nichirin!

Kits:

Renders:

En-Dash | Finder Works

Gemini | J2 Mechs

Massive Thanks To:
Rensuya - Kitting
Banshii - Novelties
Abec13 - Renders
Kingk22 - Renders
002 - Feedback on colors and the initial idea for the set!

« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 12:23:01 by FLFrostBite »

Offline Rensuya

• Blue is my spirit animal
    • Link to the discord!
Re: [IC] GMK Nichirin
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:17:12 »

But for real it looks amazing, great job!  :thumb:

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:18:20 »
This is bomb tbh. Great work!

Offline Raravin

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:18:50 »
Show Image

Is this the Mizu Guy?
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:50:55 by Raravin »

Offline fropsie

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:21:02 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another weeb set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after Animes. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant Anime themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:21:20 »
A Demon Slayer themed keyset . I’m so in for this. Can’t wait to see what you come up with for a Rama cap if you decide to have one.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:22:22 »
I vibe with this. I think the render is a bit dark but other than that I can't wait to see more!

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:23:01 »
Love the effort behind this set, but come on... another weeb set? This isn't more-so directed to you OP, as the effort behind this is obviously there, and there is thought behind it, but I am sick of the constant IC posts themed after Animes. Its just too much at this point. People gotta tone it down a little with these constant Anime themed keyset posts. Its like every other week another one pops up.

But isn't it just an IC anyway?

It's as simple as -- if people don't wanna support the theme, then they should just not buy into it.

If enough people are sick of "weeb sets", then surely they wouldn't go through.

Offline Kokaloo

• 🤘(• ω •)🤙
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:28:00 »
The best way to combat something you'd like to see less is to ignore it.

Offline CAZ

• Project Manager for Switchkeys
    • Switchkeys AU
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:28:21 »
Set is looking really good, set renders may need abit of lighting adjustment but besides that i look forward to this sets development

Offline abrokencondom

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:34:11 »
Appreciate the effort matching the theme to demon slayer, however personally the colours aren't for me.
The aesthetics I most enjoyed from that anime though, is the character design of Shinobu (that butterfly aesthetic), and Nezuko (cute demon loli), and the great vfx of the water techniques and fire dance in episode 19.

Offline Banshii

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:37:38 »
I will relentlessly wield my blade against the Demons and that's a fact!
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 April 2020, 19:11:45 by Banshii »

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:42:34 »

Offline wyrm

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:46:01 »
What IS an Anime Keyset? Does it contain Anime Pics/Theme Song in the OP of its IC (this keyset fails this test)? Does it contain hiragana or zhujin (This passes one of these)? Does the keyset include a lewd deskmat (not yet...)

I think the question isn't whether or not there are too many Weeb Keysets, but why haven't these weebs yet properly templated all their keysets so that all weebs get what they want out of these sets. Alphas that no one even has installed with a mat you can't show in public from a show that's overrated.

Offline gophex

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:50:16 »
Could the Moon Set get a second 'B' for all the alice users out there :3

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:53:53 »

Show Image

Is this the Mizu Guy?

No, I'm pretty sure THIS is the Mizu guy ↓

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:54:02 »
The legends are really hard to see. GL with IC. Will follow to see how it develops.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 21:57:06 »
sexy
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline Obamas Mama

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:05:37 »
Nooooooo my wallet!!!! I love this set.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:13:16 »
I’ll just say that this is among the few sets that put the weeb legends into their correct context. Others were just bandwagoning. But that’s their business and I ended up not joining. I suggest you do the same.

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:13:20 »

Show Image

Is this the Mizu Guy?

Show Image

Sir, I am not that out of shape.

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:14:01 »

Show Image

Is this the Mizu Guy?

Show Image

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

Offline subluxe

• サブラックス
    • https://subluxe.ca/
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:22:00 »

I mean, maybe there's a reason there's so many? People want this stuff them self, and it's obvious a lot of other people like sets like these. Darling, Noel, Metaverse etc.

Offline Wanchnn

« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:27:33 »
Any possible that base kit without hiragana sub legends and Nezuko colorway/novelties added ?
P.S. I love this set but I have too many hiragana keysets. Thanks

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:30:07 »
I like this better than when it was first teased.

Offline pengoot02

« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:33:55 »
素晴らしいキーボードセット

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 April 2020, 22:52:59 »
Looks really cool.

Hanafuda, not Hanafura.

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 02:32:31 »
What's wrong with that?

Offline BapoDonu

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:23:50 »
For the Enter key novelties consider the red accent one with the flame stance instead of water,its weird to see red water on black keycap.
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:27:15 by BapoDonu »

Offline KKoNaM

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 03:35:30 »
geekhack? more like weebhack  :(

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 08:11:22 »
geekhack? more like weebhack  :(

We can always seek refuge on deskthority. Truth be told, I'm very surprised most of the weeb sets aren't IC'd on reddit instead - then again, there have been a few (including this one) where the OP has like 5 posts so I suppose they effectively may as well be.

Lightning is right though, clearly there's some overlap between both hobbies and the themes appeal to a decent amount of users; if the market really does become oversaturated then the fad will die down soon enough, and if it doesn't then weeb sets will keep popping up and people will continue to like them and buy them - which is completely fine, it's not like they're taking away from other projects and the more people are involved in keyboards as a whole the better it is for everyone long term.

Offline EnjoyMyInSec

• 60% or bust
« Reply #31 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 08:30:42 »
I hate the accents but sincerly love the set, looking forward it  :thumb:

Offline ptrick3

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 11:55:29 »
Could the Moon Set get a second 'B' for all the alice users out there :3

second. I'd also enjoy accent small spacebars, but not the end of the world if there's just small black spacebars and a B.

Offline Rensuya

• Link to the discord!
« Reply #33 on: Fri, 03 April 2020, 14:59:27 »

Show Image

Is this the Mizu Guy?

Show Image

Sir, this is a Wendy's.

If this is Wendy's, then I guess I am that wide.

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #34 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 12:23:56 »
Looks really cool.

Hanafuda, not Hanafura.

Fixed! Thanks for pointing that out, I hadn't noticed it!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 17:59:11 »
Looks nice. Text looks to be slightly more readable than that of the mods on Tokyo Nights.

Edit:
Ignoring things that don’t strictly appeal to one's particular sensibilities seem to be a skill.
« Last Edit: Sat, 04 April 2020, 18:02:15 by noorejji »

Offline wil

« Reply #36 on: Sat, 04 April 2020, 22:30:00 »
don't like the accents/novelties, but this looks like an ultra desaturated vice nights/miami nights and that with hiragana sublegends is very appealing. if the base kit's price is right i'd be in

Offline kolyz

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 12:58:50 »
any updates on this set?

Offline Piwi

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 13:08:34 »
Really like the looks of this. If anything I agree the legends could be a little brighter, but other than that it looks good!

Offline Blvck.-

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 13:53:10 »
Don't follow anime but this set looks beautiful.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 16:51:40 »
Another day, another set with weird-ass hiragana placement designed for people that can't read it but think it looks cool. This trend really reminds me of people that have Japanese tattoos.

But at least it's got the 「 」 。. 、punctuation sublegends. Not all sets have those. No ¥ though.

For constructive feedback, I think most of those novelties have lines too thin and detailed to work. You might want to make them a bit bolder.

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:14:40 »
any updates on this set?

Updates coming hopefully soon!! Just waiting on some income first before I can get some more renders made. Corona has this project currently at a sort of standstill, unfortunately. I’m just hoping that something will come soon so that I can get a real update going on this thing. Thanks for the interest!!!

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:40:37 »
Another day, another set with weird-ass hiragana placement designed for people that can't read it but think it looks cool. This trend really reminds me of people that have Japanese tattoos.

But at least it's got the 「 」 。. 、punctuation sublegends. Not all sets have those. No ¥ though.

For constructive feedback, I think most of those novelties have lines too thin and detailed to work. You might want to make them a bit bolder.

The current version of the hiragana sublegends are an adaptation to the ANSI layout. Perhaps you're not familiar with the history. Originally, a designer named MiTo created the first set of GMK sublegends, disappointingly, for the sake of "aesthetics" on GMK Laser. (He kind of has a history now of doing this with various languages.) They were borderline unusable for writing using hiragana, since they lacked both punctuation and furigana. These were later fixed by Zambumon for GMK Serika so that they were at least useable, and here we are.

Therefore, simply dropping ¥ into its typical position for JIS would cause issues with other legends, namely backspace. Simply converting the entire top row to JIS doesn't make sense either, since multiple legends rely on the placement of others in the righthand R1-4 cluster.

Here are some of the keys which are different from our current Hiragana sublegend layout that will need to be made to make JIS a reality.

Proper GMK JIS support will require somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ new molds, the tooling for which is expensive. It's not just about the alphas either, since the modifier keys and spacebar are also important.

This is something that a number of people in the community are working on, and implementing GMK JIS compatiblity is something I'd personally like to do in future sets.
However, no matter who implements it, JIS will require commitments from vendors and community support to help those kits reach MOQ so that the tooling can exist for any designer to use.

« Last Edit: Wed, 20 May 2020, 23:53:56 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline udller

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 00:03:39 »
the kits would be nicer with a r2 rage up and a r3 page down for greater 65% board coverage

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #44 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 00:19:59 »

The current version of the hiragana sublegends are an adaptation to the ANSI layout. Perhaps you're not familiar with the history. Originally, a designer named MiTo created the first set of GMK sublegends, disappointingly, for the sake of "aesthetics" on GMK Laser. (He kind of has a history now of doing this with various languages.) They were borderline unusable for writing using hiragana, since they lacked both punctuation and furigana. These were later fixed by Zambumon for GMK Serika so that they were at least useable, and here we are.

Therefore, simply dropping ¥ into its typical position for JIS would cause issues with other legends, namely backspace. Simply converting the entire top row to JIS doesn't make sense either, since multiple legends rely on the placement of others in the righthand R1-4 cluster.

Here are some of the keys which are different from our current Hiragana sublegend layout that will need to be made to make JIS a reality.
Show Image

Proper GMK JIS support will require somewhere in the neighborhood of 20+ new molds, the tooling for which is expensive. It's not just about the alphas either, since the modifier keys and spacebar are also important.

This is something that a number of people in the community are working on, and implementing GMK JIS compatiblity is something I'd personally like to do in future sets.
However, no matter who implements it, JIS will require commitments from vendors and community support to help those kits reach MOQ so that the tooling can exist for any designer to use.
JIS compatibility is actually something I had considered when designing Noel, but talking to the Japanese community (cheers 2Moons), we came across a similar predicament as well.

Basically, you would need 25 new moulds (exclude the ISO) to cover the majority of popular Japanese layouts (including JIS and split boards).

Not only would this cost a lot of money to produce, but as far as I'm aware of, some of these options aren't even offered by GMK (4u and 4.5u spacebars, 3u was offered recently). You could reduce the upfront costs by pairing it with a large base kit and having a higher MOQ, but this would most likely be a massive deterrent for both communities as it'd still be way more than a standard base kit.

Hope to bring some insight to the case, as honestly, I only see hiragana subs as an aesthetic choice. Even with 'double-subbing', it is still incorrect which makes me believe it's just an aesthetic choice more than anything else, even if it's 'more correct'.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 00:24:05 by Agilr »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #45 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 00:46:54 »

Show Image

JIS compatibility is actually something I had considered when designing Noel, but talking to the Japanese community (cheers 2Moons), we came across a similar predicament as well.

Basically, you would need 25 new moulds (exclude the ISO) to cover the majority of popular Japanese layouts (including JIS and split boards).
Show Image

Not only would this cost a lot of money to produce, but as far as I'm aware of, some of these options aren't even offered by GMK (4u and 4.5u spacebars, 3u was offered recently). You could reduce the upfront costs by pairing it with a large base kit and having a higher MOQ, but this would most likely be a massive deterrent for both communities as it'd still be way more than a standard base kit.

Hope to bring some insight to the case, as honestly, I only see hiragana subs as an aesthetic choice. Even with 'double-subbing', it is still incorrect which makes me believe it's just an aesthetic choice more than anything else, even if it's 'more correct'.

the weebs would pay for it

just call it "true samurai" or "ahegao" or something and they'll shell out

(this is actually a very insightful post thank you for sharing)
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 01:18:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Oh hey Agilr!

2Moons is a real champ, though we haven't spoken in a while because I've been super busy with college work. Thanks for posting that full kit, I'd temporarily lost my link to the KLE.

Even if the subs are for theme or aesthetic reasons, IMHO it's better that they are at least functional or "more" correct than they once were.

I still hope this will happen one day.
« Last Edit: Thu, 21 May 2020, 01:25:53 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline FLFrostBite

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 08:53:17 »
the kits would be nicer with a r2 rage up and a r3 page down for greater 65% board coverage

There actually are these keys! They’re near the accented arrows in the base kit!

Offline kolyz

« Reply #48 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 09:20:09 »
any updates on this set?

Updates coming hopefully soon!! Just waiting on some income first before I can get some more renders made. Corona has this project currently at a sort of standstill, unfortunately. I’m just hoping that something will come soon so that I can get a real update going on this thing. Thanks for the interest!!!

Yeah, I totally understand the delay because of covid. I'm a big fan of Demon Slayer so naturally, I'm super interested with this set :thumb: Thanks for the update.

Offline Missingnumber

« Reply #49 on: Thu, 21 May 2020, 10:34:02 »

Show Image

Show Image

I appreciate everyone taking the time to respond to my rant! I joined the forum five months ago, and when I first joined I thought there was a big overlap between linguists and keyboard enthusiasts. But it's 95% weebs that can't read what they're buying, and so many people call for kana sublegends on every damn set. One of my favorite sets, Sumi, went from having the base be Latin to entirely removing a Latin-only option. While I will never use kana input when typing in Japanese, seeing the odd placement for characters bugs me. Sets not including keys I would actually benefit from when typing in Japanese makes it worse. (The punctuation which this set includes, ひらがな・カタカナ, 半角・全角)

I understand now that full JIS compatibility is probably not going to happen, and I can agree with the reasons. Without any supporting PCBs it wouldn't make sense anyway.  However, the current sublegend layout can be improved for む、ろ、and ー which I see people are working on.

I don't understand the argument against the ¥ key though. On an ANSI board with the Windows IME it is default to the \| key. On a JIS layout it is close to the same location along with the same | symbol.  Also, when Windows is set to Japan region the \ character is replaced with ¥ on the command line. So it makes sense to me for a Japanese kit sold to ANSI users for the \| key to have a top-right sublegend of ¥.