Author Topic: epbt and kpr 9009  (Read 10382 times)

Offline rmill3r

epbt and kpr 9009
« on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 10:34:57 »
I really like 9009 but wondering if epbt is really worth it over kprebuplic. Reason I ask is because I can get used kpr 9009 for LESS than half the cost of epbt. It looks like the main difference is the quality of the legends, right?

If so, do you think epbt is worth more than double the price for that alone or is there something else I'm missing?

Offline thearctican

Re: epbt and kpr 9009
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 20 April 2019, 11:35:25 »
I really like 9009 but wondering if epbt is really worth it over kprebuplic. Reason I ask is because I can get used kpr 9009 for LESS than half the cost of epbt. It looks like the main difference is the quality of the legends, right?

If so, do you think epbt is worth more than double the price for that alone or is there something else I'm missing?
Epbt is worth it. The caps are very consistent and sized properly.
I have a set of kprepublic keys, and, while very nice for the price, simply don't compete on quality and consistency.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 09:54:43 »
Pardon my ignorance, are the keycaps exactly the same except for the legends?

What Pbt brands are there?

Offline thearctican

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 11:20:48 »

ePBT is a dyesubber who uses Gateron PBT blanks. I'm not sure who manufactures KPrepublics caps though, but it's definitely not Gateron.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:16:27 »
Epbt feels like very good quality i used to have 2 sets. The only downside is that it isn't compatible with enthusiast lay outs  :'(
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:26:40 »
Epbt feels like very good quality i used to have 2 sets. The only downside is that it isn't compatible with enthusiast lay outs  :'(
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/enjoypbt-keycaps/products/pre-orderenjoypbt-9009-keycaps-set

178 keys and still doesn't cover enthusiasts layouts? Are GMK sets these days even bigger than that?

ePBT is a dyesubber who uses Gateron PBT blanks. I'm not sure who manufactures KPrepublics caps though, but it's definitely not Gateron.

Gateron seems to be doing a lot, thanks I didn't know they made the blanks. They are very nice caps. Too bad I can't touch type, I always liked the look of a blank set.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 12:42:16 »
The ePBT black Japanese set and the BoW set both cover a LOT of layouts.

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 14:03:11 »
https://kbdfans.cn/collections/enjoypbt-keycaps/products/pre-orderenjoypbt-9009-keycaps-set

178 keys and still doesn't cover enthusiasts layouts? Are GMK sets these days even bigger than that?

Gateron seems to be doing a lot, thanks I didn't know they made the blanks. They are very nice caps. Too bad I can't touch type, I always liked the look of a blank set.

Too bad that all those pbt set have those horrible and unusable homing keys. They usually have scoops, and bars. In the same key. That's a torture.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 14:15:05 »

Too bad that all those pbt set have those horrible and unusable homing keys. They usually have scoops, and bars. In the same key. That's a torture.
I've not noticed it, but then again if it was uncomfortable to me I would have. Do you have photos illustrating this?

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 17:18:41 »

I've not noticed it, but then again if it was uncomfortable to me I would have. Do you have photos illustrating this?

I didn't even notice it until I read that post. This is the 9009 set.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 27 April 2019, 18:00:20 »

I didn't even notice it until I read that post. This is the 9009 set.
Oh interesting! I had no idea.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 10:01:34 »
This question has been discussed on other forums as well.

KPRepublic is cheaper, and a fine value option.

But KPRepublic sets are known to have really serious legend issues. I might be able to dig up a picture later, if necessary.

A few days ago, I saw a photo of someone's custom using KP 9009, and the bottom row was a mess. Just a disaster. The text had been stretched vertically, as if it were melting. Like if you took text that had been created in MS Paint, and then stretched that text vertically with the resizing tool.

There are also some comments about keycap consistency. But most of the complaints are about legends.

One thing that's hard to come across on-line is the feel of the material. ePBT uses Gateron blanks, which are generally highly-regarded. The feel of the keycap surface is very good. They are premium materials.

For me, it's about the switches. ePBT 9009 feels 'heavy' on light tactiles like Browns, and not ideal. But on Zealios 62 gr, for example, the tactility is brought out very nicely by those same keycaps. After trying ePBT 9009 and Zealios (R11) on my switch testing keyboard, I know I want a board with similar components.

Definitely read this review of ePBT 9009:

https://brianlee.blog/2018/07/26/review-enjoypbt-9009/

R2 of 9009 still had issues with legends, though not as bad as R1. The real problem with ePBT is that I'm not sure it's ready-to-go out-of-the-box. As Brian Lee mentions in his review, there are still issues with 'flare,' or extra bits of plastic protruding from the bottom of the keycaps. They weren't shaved off or removed during the manufacturing process, so you need to do it yourself. It suggests that ePBT are a 'hobbyists' keycap that need work from the end-user.

And there continue to be issues with warping of the large modifiers, such as the spacebar.

Neither KPRepublic or ePBT 9009 are perfect. But ePBT has arguably better materials, and by R4, probably better legend quality.

Here's my Filco Majestouch outfitted with ePBT 9009 r4:

https://imgur.com/a/7ZFbQrY

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 12 May 2019, 21:44:28 »
This question has been discussed on other forums as well.

KPRepublic is cheaper, and a fine value option.

But KPRepublic sets are known to have really serious legend issues. I might be able to dig up a picture later, if necessary.

A few days ago, I saw a photo of someone's custom using KP 9009, and the bottom row was a mess. Just a disaster. The text had been stretched vertically, as if it were melting. Like if you took text that had been created in MS Paint, and then stretched that text vertically with the resizing tool.

There are also some comments about keycap consistency. But most of the complaints are about legends.

One thing that's hard to come across on-line is the feel of the material. ePBT uses Gateron blanks, which are generally highly-regarded. The feel of the keycap surface is very good. They are premium materials.

For me, it's about the switches. ePBT 9009 feels 'heavy' on light tactiles like Browns, and not ideal. But on Zealios 62 gr, for example, the tactility is brought out very nicely by those same keycaps. After trying ePBT 9009 and Zealios (R11) on my switch testing keyboard, I know I want a board with similar components.

Definitely read this review of ePBT 9009:

https://brianlee.blog/2018/07/26/review-enjoypbt-9009/

R2 of 9009 still had issues with legends, though not as bad as R1. The real problem with ePBT is that I'm not sure it's ready-to-go out-of-the-box. As Brian Lee mentions in his review, there are still issues with 'flare,' or extra bits of plastic protruding from the bottom of the keycaps. They weren't shaved off or removed during the manufacturing process, so you need to do it yourself. It suggests that ePBT are a 'hobbyists' keycap that need work from the end-user.

And there continue to be issues with warping of the large modifiers, such as the spacebar.

Neither KPRepublic or ePBT 9009 are perfect. But ePBT has arguably better materials, and by R4, probably better legend quality.

Here's my Filco Majestouch outfitted with ePBT 9009 r4:

https://imgur.com/a/7ZFbQrY

I agree on the KPR legends, I saw a similar picture and from a distance they look nice, but those legends are terrible.

As far as ePbt I haven't had any issues with my 9009 set, I bought the most recent ones. As far as caps that needed to be cleaned up or warping, space bars that I checked were nice and flat.

There seems to be some issues with the recent ePbt buy (slate?) but that was just some mess ups as far as a cap here or there being the wrong profile.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 11:47:49 »
Yeah, ePBT is, in general, a decent outfit. But it's best to wait for at least R2 on their products. I'm glad I bought 9009 at R4. There are no weird legend issues on mine, and the modifiers are mostly straight. There is some light flaring on the bottoms of the keycaps, but they don't interfere with function.

If I ever bought a Realforce R2 PFU edition (which have QC issues of their own at $400!), I would put ePBT 9009 Topre keycaps on it. For me, it's wayyyyy better than the illegible no-contrast keycaps they ship with. [So, only $500+ to get a decent Topre keyboard].

I found the photo of the keyboard I was talking about.

You can see the problem with the KPRepublic legends on the bottom row.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 20:03:11 »

You can see the problem with the KPRepublic legends on the bottom row.

You sure can, they're hideous!! ;)