Author Topic: Need your opinion for the next build  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Engedi_

Need your opinion for the next build
« on: Mon, 05 April 2021, 15:31:58 »
Hey guys,
I built my first custom about a month ago and I'm loving it. But I'm at a dilemma.
I'm coming straight from a prebuilt keyboard with cherry mx blue switches (which I loved) to a custom top mount with Boba U4Ts,
allegedly the best tactile switch on the market right now. I love these switches but sometimes I feel like I need a more pronounced
tactile feedback at times. I was hoping to have two or three boards with some nice tactiles but I feel like I've hit end game early on
and I'm not sure what tactiles to choose. So I'm also thinking about making a linear build with Lavenders. I'm worried though that
linears might be underwhelming because I don't feel like typing on nothing and I'm thinking linears might feel like that. Eventually,
I'll build a board with a Kailh box switch. Try the best of all three worlds. I guess mainly, I'm looking for advice on a different tactile
switch but still just as satisfying as U4Ts. Thanks!

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: Need your opinion for the next build
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 07:50:56 »
Whatever you think a keyboard aught to do and or be,  it's wrong.

SOLUTION: ERGODOX

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 11:48:32 »
There is no best switch, only the best switch for you right now that you have used. The market constantly changes and few have really tried a dozen switches much less everything out there.

Most tactiles are dull compared to clickies, it's sort of the nature of the best as the click adds tactility but also manufacturers seems to like rounded bumps on tactiles and sharp bumps on clickies, not sure why, but they do. Rounded bumps have less feel which is backwards to me but meh.

If you want more tactility Zeal 62g switches have a large, sharp bump and unlike most switches going to a lighter spring makes them even more tactile (most do not respond this way). A mid 50g spring will put you on par with a Blue switch, a mid 40's puts you on par with a Box Jade and if you're really daring and willing to put some time and a LOT of effort into dealing with sticking switches, go with 39g springs and the tactility rivals Box Jades, which is to say it's obnoxiously tactile. I don't recommend doing the 39g though, they really are troublesome. I believe if you can find V1's the travel and activation point is in the common spat, V2 switches have a lower activation point.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 12:26:29 »
Leslieann's indepth on switches is great,  but remember, all switches are belong in Ergodox

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:01:50 »
There is no best switch, only the best switch for you right now that you have used. The market constantly changes and few have really tried a dozen switches much less everything out there.

Most tactiles are dull compared to clickies, it's sort of the nature of the best as the click adds tactility but also manufacturers seems to like rounded bumps on tactiles and sharp bumps on clickies, not sure why, but they do. Rounded bumps have less feel which is backwards to me but meh.

If you want more tactility Zeal 62g switches have a large, sharp bump and unlike most switches going to a lighter spring makes them even more tactile (most do not respond this way). A mid 50g spring will put you on par with a Blue switch, a mid 40's puts you on par with a Box Jade and if you're really daring and willing to put some time and a LOT of effort into dealing with sticking switches, go with 39g springs and the tactility rivals Box Jades, which is to say it's obnoxiously tactile. I don't recommend doing the 39g though, they really are troublesome. I believe if you can find V1's the travel and activation point is in the common spat, V2 switches have a lower activation point.

Wow, thanks for that advice. I'll have to purchase some springs and test out the tactility, but recently I order 67g Zealios v2, so I'll try 50g and 40g springs, but no the 39g. Which Kailh box switches would you recommend? I'm guessing you like Jades which was one of my options, but I'm also thinking of white and navy.

Offline Engedi_

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:05:37 »
Leslieann's indepth on switches is great,  but remember, all switches are belong in Ergodox

I was seriously considering ergodox for a while but I was turned off by the fact that you can't hot swap switches and the only available switch that I might like are box whites.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 April 2021, 21:37:53 »
You're welcome.
While the tactility of a 67g switch may change, I don't think it will ever be as pronounced as the 62g due to the shape (they're rounded I think) but it wouldn't surprise me if all Zeals respond to an extent. Could even be all Gaterons, I need to break out some and see.

As for Box recommendations, I personally like Jades, but I like light springs and loads of tactility. Navy has loads of tactility but stiff springs, box purples and royals have tactility but they're just plain boring.

One last thing, even with similar tactility, it will not "feel" as good because of the lack of click, it can never quite replicate that sharpness of a clicky which is what I'm after. While I use tactiles and prefer tactiles you could find yourself in a similar situation as me, I find them boring. The reason I try so many tactiles is because I they just don't do what I want, even Alps so I keep looking. Zilents may seem an odd choice since they have no sound (or close), they're at least different and interesting as opposed to just another tactile switch.

BTW there are tons of split keyboards with hot swap.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion