Author Topic: [IC] Timber Wolf, GB on 9/20  (Read 88670 times)

Offline Shihatsu

Re: [IC] Timber Wolf, an XL "75%"
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 12:17:08 »
as you might be able to tell, Alt. Config. A is easily my favorite
Fixed that for you, thank me later.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 12:53:46 »
- Nobody:
- OP: Numpad Enter is EASILY my favorite key on a keyboard, and I think its loss is the glaring issue with all TKLs!

I chuckled hard at that.
Any particular reason while you like the Numpad Enter so much?

lmao, yup. what eskimojo quoted. its also like, 30% meme factor

for real though, every part of this layout came from yearning. i wanted a rotary encoder that was positioned super conveniently to my mouse hand, and a numpad enter i could hit with my thumb. a macro column with an fn key on the bottom so i could use my alpha-numerics as macros on the second layer without having to reach over to split right shift. an f-row with proper gaps because having to glance down is super annoying and .25u gaps are barely noticeable to me. a proper nav cluster on a 75%. a 2u delete key because putting a key below delete ruins the homing, and leaving a gap under it feels wasteful, and i wanna keep it in the same row, and because 2u vertical keys just feel great. as you might be able to tell, layout 2 is easily my favorite, buuut i played around with layout 1 a lot too and still found it more to my tastes than any other keyboard, and i think it's much more pretty.

A man who knows what he wants!

I'm curious to know how the weight question is coming along? Are you sticking with the original plan or is the majority asking for a weight?

the weight question is like dead even, it's nuts. but im tie breaker so im thinkin no (at least for this version)

as you might be able to tell, Alt. Config. A is easily my favorite
Fixed that for you, thank me later.

shhh im not assigning them variant designations until the group buyyyyyyyy

Offline Gouty

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 13:27:07 »
So this one would be the Prime then.  At least you didn't call it the MadCat, I guess you couldn't because of connotations with other peripherals.

I like the layout ideas, it would probably be better with 2x1u in place of the 2u high keys though

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 18:38:13 »
And more importantly, can you please upload an expanded case view? I'm not quite understanding how this thing is put together.

Here's an exploded view of the case and its components

221109-0

The black washers you see are neoprene, on either side of the PCB to isolate it from any direct contact with metal. The PCB is attached to the top case using a countersunk screw & washer combo - countersunk to keep the height down, with a washer because in my experience, screwing down directly on a soft material will twist it and mess it up (this way the metal washer stays still against the foam and the screw can twist against the metal freely). There are 10 locations where the PCB is attached, with the 6 in the middle having their own small flex cut-outs to prevent undue rigidity: you can see a couple of these in the render at the bottom of the PCB (as well as the flex cut for the spacebar). After attaching the PCB to the top case, and screwing the daughterboard down to the bottom case (attached to the main board with a simple JST-SH connector), 8 counter-bored screws connect the bottom case to the top. there are 3 different types of screw (in terms of length, style, etc), but all use 1.5mm hex heads for relative ease of assembly.

It's certainly not the simplest construction, but I can't think of any ways to simplify it without compromising it, and I had only very minor trouble assembling my 3D printed prototypes (the only lesson i learned was that if you installed keycaps before putting the PCB and top case together, you just have to first remove the 6 or 7 keycaps by the neoprene washers). I plan to upload a full build guide video with the GB, though, to make sure everything is super clear.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 19:27:35 »
That's a very nice exploded view!

What color will the PCBs be?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 20:04:57 »
What color will the PCBs be?

plan is matte black - wanted to do red for clan wolf's colors, but since you can make out a bit of the pcb through gaps in the keycaps when looking directly down on it, matte black will look nicer

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 21:39:00 »
totally understand the concept behind a flexible board, and also totally get that missing the numpad enter key can be annoying.

discounting the first point though, doing just a regular TKL or 75%, and then placing the knob and macro keys on the right could be cleaner / more symmetrical. the bottom 2 macro keys could be dedicated to being a large Enter Key.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 21:52:05 »
totally understand the concept behind a flexible board, and also totally get that missing the numpad enter key can be annoying.

discounting the first point though, doing just a regular TKL or 75%, and then placing the knob and macro keys on the right could be cleaner / more symmetrical. the bottom 2 macro keys could be dedicated to being a large Enter Key.

despite the fact that the various criteria i had for this layout basically mandated more than 2 columns of space to the right of the 60% block...i also want there to be as little space to the right of the 60% block as possible, in order to keep my mouse closer to that part of the keyboard. plus, i just like the macro keys being on the left more than the right

i really like where your head's at though, and i think that could be a cool starting point for another special layout

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 June 2019, 23:19:54 »

despite the fact that the various criteria i had for this layout basically mandated more than 2 columns of space to the right of the 60% block...i also want there to be as little space to the right of the 60% block as possible, in order to keep my mouse closer to that part of the keyboard. plus, i just like the macro keys being on the left more than the right

i really like where your head's at though, and i think that could be a cool starting point for another special layout

thanks. maybe someone else will take it up and run with it :)

good luck with this, its interesting and i'll be following its developments closely :)

Offline ninjacore

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 05:59:02 »
I think the Satisfaction 75 might interest you, @neautralstate.

Personally, I like this layout more.

Offline BalticSubmarine

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 10:03:35 »
This is so cool I love all the layouts!

Offline MyCow

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 17:45:13 »
Okay, I'm not gonna lie.. I saw this initially, and thought it looked ridiculous. But after looking at it more, I've processed the design, and I really like it lol. It's a facinsating layout, and I am definitely interested - I would gladly join this GB.
If it's not troublesome, GMK olive, GMK white on black, and GMK bento renders would be awesome!
Cool design for sure!

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #62 on: Sat, 15 June 2019, 20:50:28 »
Depending on the timing I would definetly be down to grab one or two of these. I like the format with the knob on the top left the most. I would for sure have the 2u's as 1u's with artisan keycaps.

Do you think it's possible there would be more gb information before July 10th? I have my eye on the u80-a gb as well.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #63 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 02:01:46 »
Okay, I'm not gonna lie.. I saw this initially, and thought it looked ridiculous. But after looking at it more, I've processed the design, and I really like it lol. It's a facinsating layout, and I am definitely interested - I would gladly join this GB.
If it's not troublesome, GMK olive, GMK white on black, and GMK bento renders would be awesome!
Cool design for sure!

I'll start on some more renders, with some different layouts too!

Depending on the timing I would definetly be down to grab one or two of these. I like the format with the knob on the top left the most. I would for sure have the 2u's as 1u's with artisan keycaps.

Do you think it's possible there would be more gb information before July 10th? I have my eye on the u80-a gb as well.

I won't be posting the GB until I have a prototype in my hands with satisfactory quality, and full pricing details from the factory. That might take less than a month, but it'll probably take more.

Offline PheonixStarr

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 03:01:16 »
this is literally the most divisive gh thread i've never seen

give me one

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #65 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 07:49:25 »
this is literally the most divisive gh thread i've never seen

give me one

I'll take love and I'll take hate, just don't hit me with that cool indifference.

moar renders at the bottom! GMK Olive on Grey Green (which I actually think I dig more than Grey Blue), and GMK WoB on Dark Navy.

Also, if you check the IC text under layouts, I tried to make it more clear just how the GB ordering is meant to go, and I added more specific KLE links. The intent is for the final GB form to have you assemble a layout by choosing an option for the left side, right side, and top. Hopefully this makes it more clear to people that you're not limited to just one of the four original layout options I had renders of.

Based on the results of the IC, I've determined that the Prime configuration (so the default and cheapest) will be the one labeled "Layout 1". I am in the process of ordering a prototype of it now. I've also modified my PCB based on my experiences building up protos. Text from progress update:

"Support for 7u spacebar layouts has been removed, due to them compromising the PCB fixing pins on adjacent, more important alternate keys. For this same reason, the ISO shift, off-center 6U spacebar, and right side of the split backspace will have their switch footprints rotated 90°, which may stretch (or in the worst case, break) keycap stems. Obviously this is not ideal, but the alternative was removing support for these keys altogether. My own experience with using rotated switches is that it stretches keycaps a bit, but not to the point of them no longer sticking on the switch stem, and I've never had a cap break. Still, do it at your own risk."

Offline nano_ms

• hello
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 13:12:54 »
Oh man, this is awesome. I'll definitely get this if the price is sub 400, which you seem to be going for. I would love to see a render with GMK darling.

This is the layout I think I'll end up getting if this goes through

edit: i messed up the spacing on the right side oops. you can probably see what it's supposed to be though
down-left-up-right-z-j-b-d-b-start

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 13:23:21 »
Oh man, this is awesome. I'll definitely get this if the price is sub 400, which you seem to be going for. I would love to see a render with GMK darling.

This is the layout I think I'll end up getting if this goes through

edit: i messed up the spacing on the right side oops. you can probably see what it's supposed to be though

I can give darling a try, but i cant do sub legends cuz im a scrub renderer, so itll just be the colors

haha yeah easy enough to interpret. custom layouts might not be sub-400 unfortunately, i'm expecting those to carry a 50-100 dollar premium, but I'm trying to make it all easy enough to manufacture that it's not too bad.

Offline TuCZnak

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 13:28:49 »
Since this keyboard is the mother of weird layouts... Have you thought about separating the nav cluster differently? Right now all your layouts have 5 keys clustered at the very top, with the "configurable" part underneath. Would an option for 3 keys on top (standard PrtSc/ScrLk/Pause) and 6 underneath (standard nav cluster but vertical) be possible?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 13:45:02 »
Since this keyboard is the mother of weird layouts... Have you thought about separating the nav cluster differently? Right now all your layouts have 5 keys clustered at the very top, with the "configurable" part underneath. Would an option for 3 keys on top (standard PrtSc/ScrLk/Pause) and 6 underneath (standard nav cluster but vertical) be possible?

Yaknow what...I think that's actually totally possible. I'll verify the PCB and everything, but I don't see any conflicts

Offline Sorachi.Ace

• Formerly CaptRobo
  • Co-owner of SodieCaps artisan keycaps
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 14:58:52 »
I'd be really interested to see this one with GMK hyperfuse origins if possible. Or even the grey one.

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #71 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 15:30:11 »

Yaknow what...I think that's actually totally possible. I'll verify the PCB and everything, but I don't see any conflicts

We're getting into TKL territory here (who cares) but yeah, that layout sounds appealing. I don't much care for the 4 in a row and then the 1 F-row key by itself. They should all be in a 4-line cluster.
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2019, 17:44:11 by nasp »

Offline goddream

« Reply #72 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 19:03:55 »
From what I'm reading you're thinking of a small initial group buy then potentially a bigger one down the road? What are the chances of that bigger one happening? I am loving the look of this board but I don't think my finances will line up with everything else I have planned for the next few months :(

Also I am scheming this in Red with GMK Samurai  :cool:

Edited another question: Never used plateless before, anyone know how well it would hold up when playing dota and bottoming out hard when spamming keys?
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 June 2019, 19:11:35 by goddream »
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #73 on: Sun, 16 June 2019, 23:26:18 »
I'd be really interested to see this one with GMK hyperfuse origins if possible. Or even the grey one.
Show Image

I'll take a crack at it!

We're getting into TKL territory here (who cares) but yeah, that layout sounds appealing. I don't much care for the 4 in a row and then the 1 F-row key by itself. They should all be in a 4-line cluster.

tbh, i never really thought of this as a 75% in the first place (not least because i think the % system is useless). I mean, I think even the layout with the least keys has like 90 of them, plus the nav cluster makes it more like a smushed TKL to me than a expanded 75%. I just figured "75%" got the point across better (and maybe sounded more appealing) than "smushed TKL". as for the 1 f-row key (im assuming you mean the one to the left of insert?) then yeah 2 of the 3 f-row options forgo that, you can check the top row options in the original IC text under "Layouts".

From what I'm reading you're thinking of a small initial group buy then potentially a bigger one down the road? What are the chances of that bigger one happening? I am loving the look of this board but I don't think my finances will line up with everything else I have planned for the next few months :(

Also I am scheming this in Red with GMK Samurai  :cool:

Edited another question: Never used plateless before, anyone know how well it would hold up when playing dota and bottoming out hard when spamming keys?

We'll see how many people actually want to buy it. if a third of the people that filled out the IC actually end up wanting to buy, I won't be able to come close to satisfying that in this GB. So I'd probably do a second round, or a v2, or something like that. no guarantees, especially since I do have other projects that I want to put out as well, but I'll try to satisfy demand.

gmk samurai is a sick set. i wish i could do hiragana sub-legend renders but i'm not that pro yet :(

I mean, structurally it will hold up fine. you have to really try to break fiberglass, and the case itself doesn't allow for anywhere near that level of deformation. the closest thing you'd have to worry about is pushing down so hard that the switch legs run into the aluminum of the case. the distance between the bottom of the PCB and the top of the Bottom Case is a bit less than 3mm, so it's about 1mm from the bottom of the switch legs, and a 1N force on the center of the PCB (which I would call a hard bottom out) should deform it by less than 0.1mm. tl;dr, you'll be fine

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #74 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 00:10:21 »
1mm doesn't sound like a lot of space between the bottom of the case and the switch leg. Should we be worried about the switch feet hitting the case and causing a short? I'll probably use some foam at the bottom regardless.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 00:19:51 »
1mm doesn't sound like a lot of space between the bottom of the case and the switch leg. Should we be worried about the switch feet hitting the case and causing a short? I'll probably use some foam at the bottom regardless.

It doesn't sound like a lot, but the PCB doesn't flex nearly that much during typing. It's of course something I'll be testing with the prototypes (it doesn't seem to be an issue on the 3D printed prototype, but of course this is plastic), but it seems way within tolerance for anyone that isn't going all Nathan Kim on it (those videos where he flex tested the gskt00 still haunt me). though even that flex test shouldn't cause any damage (maybe minor cosmetic issues if the legs scratch? still don't recommend it)

I am also considering including a layer of dense .8mm foam or rubber on the bottom. that's still very up in the air, but it should completely wipe away that possibility and maybe improve acoustics

Offline goddream

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 18:32:46 »
We'll see how many people actually want to buy it. if a third of the people that filled out the IC actually end up wanting to buy, I won't be able to come close to satisfying that in this GB. So I'd probably do a second round, or a v2, or something like that. no guarantees, especially since I do have other projects that I want to put out as well, but I'll try to satisfy demand.

gmk samurai is a sick set. i wish i could do hiragana sub-legend renders but i'm not that pro yet :(

I mean, structurally it will hold up fine. you have to really try to break fiberglass, and the case itself doesn't allow for anywhere near that level of deformation. the closest thing you'd have to worry about is pushing down so hard that the switch legs run into the aluminum of the case. the distance between the bottom of the PCB and the top of the Bottom Case is a bit less than 3mm, so it's about 1mm from the bottom of the switch legs, and a 1N force on the center of the PCB (which I would call a hard bottom out) should deform it by less than 0.1mm. tl;dr, you'll be fine

Stop giving me reasons to ruin my financials :-X will follow along closely
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 June 2019, 18:35:34 by goddream »
Rei XT-60 | Endash | KHDD | Jinsoul | Tengu | PC Dolphin | Nunu | Hyphen | Mc65 | Unikorn | Dahyun | CARDBORD

Offline steezkeez

« Reply #77 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 18:43:46 »

I'd like to see this rendered as well!

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 09:16:41 »
So here's the new layout option. A little too TC-V3 for my taste lol, but I get why people could be into it. Did a couple of color schemes for good measure

I'm having trouble finding color codes for some of the keycap render requests though, and I'm running out of unique layouts to show off!

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 14:59:26 »
So here's the new layout option. A little too TC-V3 for my taste lol, but I get why people could be into it. Did a couple of color schemes for good measure

I'm having trouble finding color codes for some of the keycap render requests though, and I'm running out of unique layouts to show off!

Nonsense! There are hundreds of different layout options possible  :D

Also, please do GMK Voyage! Kidding  :p

Looking forward to when the proto comes so you can show it off.

Offline goddream

« Reply #80 on: Wed, 19 June 2019, 18:31:11 »

Is that GMK Samurai I see? ;) Can you try GMK Phantom?

Definitely still prefer your original layout (2u enter and del) to everything else

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #81 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 09:16:19 »

Is that GMK Samurai I see? ;) Can you try GMK Phantom?

Definitely still prefer your original layout (2u enter and del) to everything else

Nonsense! There are hundreds of different layout options possible  :D

Also, please do GMK Voyage! Kidding  :p

Looking forward to when the proto comes so you can show it off.

Yeah. I've got the main one figured out (the original layout in red was the clear winner of the IC form), and I'm going to heartily recommend layout 2 (in oblivion) for anyone considering a custom layout, since I do think it's hands-down the best for usability, but hopefully there''s not toooo many people wanting unique layouts. the manu i got in touch with said they're down to clown, but I've no doubt that QA will suffer

Moar renders, including a shot of the bottom, don't think I've shown it before. It's super simple; might consider doing an engraving but probably not, so the only real details are screw holes and bump-on positions
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 June 2019, 09:17:52 by Croktopus »

Offline ywcsam

« Reply #82 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 11:41:39 »

As a TC-V3 owner, one thing that bothers me the most is that I keep reaching the top left corner for the ESC key and bottom left corner for the Ctrl key. I like everything about this layout, but if the the bottom left is blank on the macro column like on the other layout you have, that would be my perfect layout.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #83 on: Thu, 20 June 2019, 15:55:19 »

As a TC-V3 owner, one thing that bothers me the most is that I keep reaching the top left corner for the ESC key and bottom left corner for the Ctrl key. I like everything about this layout, but if the the bottom left is blank on the macro column like on the other layout you have, that would be my perfect layout.

i'm 100% with you. i feel like a lot of people are going to choose the full macro column for various reasons, and they're certainly not wrong to do so, but i heartily recommend chopping off that bottom key. the great thing about the top left, though, is that even if you leave the escape key above tilde like in the tc-v3, the feel of the knob is a really clear boundary to the keyboard when homing your pinky (and ofc if you put the esc key at the top left, there's no problem there)

Offline Dissitesuxba11s

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:24:54 »
Looks really promising. Definitely different from the other 75% keyboards. Can you clarify with what you meant by 2u support for the numpad enter? Would that mean that it doesn't need stabs if I only want it as an enter?

Offline TangledOutrider

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 10:54:26 »
I am definitely interested in this. I like unique layouts/designs cuz normal is boring. I would be interested in seeing renders of the purple housing with SA Laser. Or I guess and format Laser keycaps lol. Also just curious what your preferred layout is Croktopus?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #86 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 19:29:21 »
Looks really promising. Definitely different from the other 75% keyboards. Can you clarify with what you meant by 2u support for the numpad enter? Would that mean that it doesn't need stabs if I only want it as an enter?

the numpad enter will require a 2u stabilizer (well i guess you could go without, but I wouldn't recommend it). that spot does also support 2 1u keys

I am definitely interested in this. I like unique layouts/designs cuz normal is boring. I would be interested in seeing renders of the purple housing with SA Laser. Or I guess and format Laser keycaps lol. Also just curious what your preferred layout is Croktopus?

i can look into laser. still narrowing down which shade of purple i want to go for though, the renders are me trying things out and seeing how they work as far as colors go. my preferred layout is absolutely the one rendered in GMK oblivion - escape at the top left allows the f keys to be moved over for more ergonomic alt+f4'ing, the 3 + 1 setup of the macro column prevents you from homing to a macro key when reaching for control, numpad enter belongs on the bottom right of the board (it still works moved up but not as well imo), and the rotary encoder being close to mouse hand is perfect for my use case

the layout in GMK jamon is my second favorite. it's the best looking imo, its rotary encoder position is great for people who spend more time with their left hand on a keyboard than i do, which also makes the macro column more ideal since they won't be homing to ctrl as often as me, and i do prefer having the arrow keys moved to the right like on this layout (which aside from aesthetics, is the one big thing i think the oblivion layout sacrifices)

Offline nasp

• * Vendor
« Reply #87 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 19:49:59 »

Moar renders, including a shot of the bottom, don't think I've shown it before. It's super simple; might consider doing an engraving but probably not, so the only real details are screw holes and bump-on positions

That's too bad about the bottom TBR Mech engraving. I was looking forward to it, but I understand that the majority of folks aren't fans like you and I are. I still would like to see a TBR engraving on the top plate. Is that still in the works?

Offline TangledOutrider

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 22:13:39 »

the numpad enter will require a 2u stabilizer (well i guess you could go without, but I wouldn't recommend it). that spot does also support 2 1u keys

i can look into laser. still narrowing down which shade of purple i want to go for though, the renders are me trying things out and seeing how they work as far as colors go. my preferred layout is absolutely the one rendered in GMK oblivion - escape at the top left allows the f keys to be moved over for more ergonomic alt+f4'ing, the 3 + 1 setup of the macro column prevents you from homing to a macro key when reaching for control, numpad enter belongs on the bottom right of the board (it still works moved up but not as well imo), and the rotary encoder being close to mouse hand is perfect for my use case

the layout in GMK jamon is my second favorite. it's the best looking imo, its rotary encoder position is great for people who spend more time with their left hand on a keyboard than i do, which also makes the macro column more ideal since they won't be homing to ctrl as often as me, and i do prefer having the arrow keys moved to the right like on this layout (which aside from aesthetics, is the one big thing i think the oblivion layout sacrifices)

The Laser is a pretty nice set, Cyberpunk themed. And that’s awesome cuz that was one my favorite layout too. The rotary encoder is in a great spot as my mouse sits fairly close to that side since my desk is a wee small. And really any purple would probably look great on this, but I love the plum type color you got going so far. Reminds me of my old Scion tC I had that was that color. Really excited to see what you come up with. Will definitely have to get a job again and save up for this for the hopes this comes to reality.

That layout with Jamon is also pretty nice, and seems a bit more balanced in looks, but the rotary encoder on the right with the enter key is definitely nice. I hardly use arrow keys, pretty much only use them to go up and down pages when I don’t use page up/down.
Another question, don’t think anyone’s asked it but I skimmed through comments and probably missed it, but is the rotary encoder gonna be programmable? Or set for only certain uses?

Offline vicissitude

« Reply #89 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 23:30:05 »
Like the render so much.
The "+" key is so special.
Any idea why put this here?

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 21 June 2019, 23:57:04 »

That's too bad about the bottom TBR Mech engraving. I was looking forward to it, but I understand that the majority of folks aren't fans like you and I are. I still would like to see a TBR engraving on the top plate. Is that still in the works?

I'm still not 100% decided, but if anything I'm more likely to just put a little engraving on the inside (for both things)

The Laser is a pretty nice set, Cyberpunk themed. And that’s awesome cuz that was one my favorite layout too. The rotary encoder is in a great spot as my mouse sits fairly close to that side since my desk is a wee small. And really any purple would probably look great on this, but I love the plum type color you got going so far. Reminds me of my old Scion tC I had that was that color. Really excited to see what you come up with. Will definitely have to get a job again and save up for this for the hopes this comes to reality.

That layout with Jamon is also pretty nice, and seems a bit more balanced in looks, but the rotary encoder on the right with the enter key is definitely nice. I hardly use arrow keys, pretty much only use them to go up and down pages when I don’t use page up/down.
Another question, don’t think anyone’s asked it but I skimmed through comments and probably missed it, but is the rotary encoder gonna be programmable? Or set for only certain uses?

Rotary encoder functions are defined in QMK, so it's easily programmable

Like the render so much.
The "+" key is so special.
Any idea why put this here?

the + key is a delete key - I've talked about this before but 2u delete just feels good to me, and I personally don't think having 2 1u keys there works nearly as well for homing reasons (though the pcb does support that). Only downside is that there are no 2u delete keycaps of course, so you have to use a + keycap

Offline Shihatsu

« Reply #91 on: Sat, 22 June 2019, 04:23:07 »
So the red one is the prime configuration - I just love it! One small suggestion: How would a downward facing stroke LED instead of the dot-like look? It could be marvellous beside the two 2U keys...

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #92 on: Mon, 24 June 2019, 02:19:58 »
So the red one is the prime configuration - I just love it! One small suggestion: How would a downward facing stroke LED instead of the dot-like look? It could be marvellous beside the two 2U keys...

You mean like, a rectangular light pipe? It's something I've thought about, and it would be cool, but it would need to be a very specific shape in order for the case to remain easily machinable, and I'm also worried about the light being uneven.

I've also gotten comments about moving the light pipe to the center of the white space, but man, it just looks weird there.

Offline Riba

« Reply #93 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 09:30:19 »
A little late to the discussion, but this ticks all my boxes. For a total perfection I would want a split space (not happening as I see) and moving the directional keys to the left (definitely not going to happen). Regardless, I am very interested. Especially love the slanted/bevelled front edge below the space bar (something that most cases forgo these days). Please try to keep the bevel on the sides as well if possible.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:01:42 »
A little late to the discussion, but this ticks all my boxes. For a total perfection I would want a split space (not happening as I see) and moving the directional keys to the left (definitely not going to happen). Regardless, I am very interested. Especially love the slanted/bevelled front edge below the space bar (something that most cases forgo these days). Please try to keep the bevel on the sides as well if possible.

yup, side and front chamfers are a must on this board imo, to reduce the effective size of the chin and...cheeks? and make it more comfortable to use your thumbs. im still making adjustments to them throughout the prototyping process, but no drastic changes

Offline shiningfire

« Reply #95 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 10:22:38 »
interesting,waiting 4 GB :-*

Offline Riba

« Reply #96 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 13:46:30 »
yup, side and front chamfers are a must on this board imo, to reduce the effective size of the chin and...cheeks? and make it more comfortable to use your thumbs. im still making adjustments to them throughout the prototyping process, but no drastic changes

Forgot to add, as a trackball user, that numeric vertical enter on the right will be very useful. This might not be too obvious to mouse users.

Offline bj

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 25 June 2019, 19:56:41 »
so cool - if i didn't just cop the Satisfaction75 i'd be in for sure. good luck to you mate.

Offline Croktopus

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 02:34:14 »

Forgot to add, as a trackball user, that numeric vertical enter on the right will be very useful. This might not be too obvious to mouse users.

Yup, even as a mouse user it's very useful (imo), but totally makes sense that it'd be even better with a trackball

In other news, the case prototype arrived!!! I'm so excited to actually have this thing now, but it does have some issues that I'll be working out with the factory in a second prototype. I'm currently lubing up the switches I want to put into it (thought it would take a couple more days to get here), but I hope to have it all built up later today so I can take some good pictures

in the meantime, here's kind of a ****ty pic i took at my workbench

Offline DabbyBear

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 26 June 2019, 13:40:30 »
 :p :thumb: Nearly died upon seeing the GMK Phantom set-up... I was already supper into this board when the GB starts, but seeing that purple case pretty much confirmed it for me. I am sure I will find a lay-out that I really like: so take my money!