Author Topic: [IC] Moment - 60% | GB Open Oct 1 - Oct 16  (Read 141109 times)

Offline mikeduran

Re: [IC] moment - 60% | Discord, Prototyping
« Reply #100 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 11:52:49 »
A few typing tests: https://soundcloud.com/user-453131246/sets/moment-prototype-2/s-JlHqcZmErHT

• Aluminum plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, RT Blacks (205g0)
  • PC Plate, Gateron Inks (205g0)
  • PP Plate, CK Lavenders (JWK) (205g0)

It's remarkable the ammount of effort you're putting into this, the flex on the plastic plates is kinda worrying, it almost looks that is suspended with springs hahahaha

It's me or the PP plate sounds SUPER DEEP? Or maybe is because of the switches?

The new mirror polish looks amazing, don’t sweat the name change, keep up the awesome work!
I understand that some of you may not be happy with the name and branding change for the board.

It's your design, you call the shots! Have you thought about using the old font on the weight with the new naming?
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 December 2020, 11:56:40 by mikeduran »

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] moment - 60% | Prototype 2, Typing Tests, Flex Test
« Reply #101 on: Thu, 17 December 2020, 12:58:09 »

It's remarkable the ammount of effort you're putting into this, the flex on the plastic plates is kinda worrying, it almost looks that is suspended with springs hahahaha

It's me or the PP plate sounds SUPER DEEP? Or maybe is because of the switches?

Thank you. These flex tests are pretty exaggerated since the amount of force being put on the keys is far beyond what would be in a normal typing experience - just something I notice that people like to show for fun..

Yes I've considered using a more tame font for the Moment engravings. These are mostly up in the air for now, not in a particular rush to push out a design for it.

any estimates for the price or when it drops? Also, do you have a discord? Really don't want to miss this. Do you have already know what the supported layouts will be? If not, please consider adding a split 7u space for the WKL option, it'd make it a must buy for me.

From the quotes I've received from the manufacturer, the low 500s seem to be a possible range. They did say that they were surprised by the quote for the prototype, as it was unusually high due to the curved machining and stainless steel weight. I've done some logistics but would need to request an updated quote when GB approaches - my spreadsheet is probably leaning towards that price range as well, to limit my maximum upfront investment to a few thousand at most. And yes I do have a small server that I post updates to, I think the link should be in the main post.

Possibility of pom plate?

Possibility is there..!

Added one more sound test to the album with my person favorite 'clacky' switches: Cream stems in Gateron Milky (Black bottom) housings, on Polypropylene plate: https://soundcloud.com/user-453131246/moment-polypropylene-plate-milky-creams/s-jCVsH1um1uW

thanks

Offline dRnRcRr

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 00:49:30 »
This thing is super clean

Offline RogueArchitect

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 03:01:33 »
I think if I get a WK version of this board with a mirror polished weight it will be my end game.  I am all in!

Offline nick779

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 09:35:16 »
Man that's a beautiful board. $500s is a bit steep, but considering the design, I guess that is to be expected.

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | Project Timeline Update
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 16:25:03 »
Hello,

Just wanted to post an update for those following this project! Over the past few months I've leaned closer towards the idea of having reputable vendors run this project rather than a self-run groupbuy for the following reasons:

1. More peace of mind for buyers
2. Can handle higher quantities, and get lower prices
3. Saves time

While the ideal scenario would be to run this prior to my other project, finding a vendor willing to run this project for the US was a little bit more difficult than anticipated. The primary issue I find is regarding risk and being able to price the board according to demand, making sure that said amount of boards would even sell. In the end, it seems that the most likely scenario is for Cloudline to run first, build some reputation, then have Moment run as a follow up. This board is still on the timeline though - it is by no means being abandoned or scrapped.

TL;DR.. currently holding for vendors on Moment for higher unit counts, ideally lower prices - downside is we must wait.

Some supporters have pitched the idea of running it in a smaller self-run group buy (basically, the original plan) while waiting for vendors to open up for a public vendor-run group buy. I'm not opposed to this idea, but things to be noted are that prices will without a doubt be more expensive in a small buy (which is kind of a bummer when group buy prices later on will be cheaper). To compensate, it figures that the small buy would have to be 'special' in some way - something I am still brainstorming with.

In the meantime, here are some miscellaneous photos of the current prototype:

« Last Edit: Wed, 10 March 2021, 16:35:01 by Ustinj »

Offline bert039

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | Prototype 2, Typing Tests, Flex Test
« Reply #106 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 17:39:05 »
Love this board/idea on so many levels! Amazing job so far and I hope I get a chance to buy this.

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 10 March 2021, 23:41:14 »
I think it's a smart approach by running this through a vendor and aiming for higher numbers. It fits the vibe for sure.

But... does that mean that Cloudline is gonna get fast tracked? Because, OOF MY WALLET.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 01:03:29 »
Yes, Cloudline is making quicker progress down the stages towards GB. With raw materials prices continuing to rise, best is to not waste time and run what is possible at any given time. Thanks for your support!

If anyone may be interested in small runs, I'll likely be pushing info on that in Discord (invite link in OP) for ease of management and convenience (also, because it is a small group buy) - large group buys with vendors will be shared here.

And this is a REMINDER that a larger run with lower pricing is still what I plan to achieve for this project - I just need to take what I can at the 'moment' and hopefully get this running with a solid vendor list later. I have already pitched it to some of my vendors and they mention that if the first GB goes well, they would likely be very happy to work again in the future!
« Last Edit: Thu, 11 March 2021, 01:17:48 by Ustinj »

Offline Visionaire

« Reply #109 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 12:33:46 »

Offline YoungTerror

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 11 March 2021, 19:46:11 »
Quote from: Ustinj

Possibility is there..!

Added one more sound test to the album with my person favorite 'clacky' switches: Cream stems in Gateron Milky (Black bottom) housings, on Polypropylene plate: https://soundcloud.com/user-453131246/moment-polypropylene-plate-milky-creams/s-jCVsH1um1uW

thanks

God that sounds soooo good. I'm looking forward to this.

Offline chung

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 01:10:12 »
Very nice, I am in

Offline Forkman

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 12 March 2021, 07:15:31 »
I'm definitely interested in the WKL version, will be keeping an eye on this one :D Great job!

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #113 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 01:05:23 »

Might as well share this here... showing off a bit of action on how the curves interact with light and movement, as well as a small typing test starting at 1:00.. Rebuilt this tonight with a full PC Plate, HYPERGLIDE Switches (from CK). The switches are quite scratchy, but I think you can still hear the board through it. Still waiting on prototype 2.

Offline d00deitsnik

• Grails: SA Olivia, 1800 w/ only Latriualum keycaps
« Reply #114 on: Sat, 27 March 2021, 01:45:47 »
The side profile is glorious. I still can't get over it. <3

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #115 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 03:04:50 »
Second prototype is great. As of now I'm aiming to launch the Cloudline project and then see if vendors would be interested in running Moment. The board sounds and feels fantastic - usually I would not feel confident tooting my own horn, but I think the latest prototype is something very special. Also pretty set on including this color when it happens; it's a dull and slightly faded shade of lavender that I think looks amazing. Will get an updated typing test out soon, but I'm very happy with it. I think if & when vendors are ready for the Moment project it could move pretty quickly towards opening, as I've pretty thoroughly tested and iterated this design over the past half year.

« Last Edit: Sun, 09 May 2021, 03:08:34 by Ustinj »

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #116 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 05:35:31 »
i can't understand how using a vendor may decrease the price.
you can have higher quantities, and then a lower prices from the supplier.
but the seller will add his gain.

how many of them you think you will sell alone?
and how many using re-seller?

moving from 10-30 up to 100-150 will decrease the price a lot.
can't say the same moving from 100-200 to 1000.

Offline Rafa_n

« Reply #117 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 06:40:46 »
Love the new logo on the back, and that color looks so good.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #118 on: Sun, 09 May 2021, 14:40:58 »

Double digit units if I were to run it myself (for safety reasons), and if working with a vendor we can presume the vendor margin would just come out of what would otherwise have gone to me, since I'd do much less logistical work!
« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:38:13 by Ustinj »

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 01:30:27 »

Double digit units if I were to run it myself (for safety reasons), and if working with a vendor we can presume the vendor margin would just come out of have gone to me, since I'd do much less logistical work!

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline _ODIN_

« Reply #120 on: Sat, 19 June 2021, 04:25:35 »
Just came across this. The side profile looks gorgeous. Definitely interested.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #121 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 14:04:55 »
Big thanks to Jintae / Josef for sharing a typing test of Moment. His quality is exceptional.

Offline IMZO

• Matrix shill, and TKL WKL Lover
« Reply #122 on: Tue, 06 July 2021, 18:42:27 »
This looks great damn!
More
Current boards: Jane V2 CE , Matrix 1.2og Silver WKL , Matrix 2.0add coating black WKL, Matrix 2.0add WKL Coating yellow, Satisfaction75 R1 Cloud white, Korno65, Bloop65, HHKB Pro 2 white,Lin Whale Pink WKL, Gok 7v White, Gok 7v Black, Orion V3 Silver WKL, Orion V2.5 Red WKL, Geon F1-8x Silver WK, Haus65 BlueGray, Plume65, Vertigo, Frog TKL WKL GreenF13

Offline metalkeyboards

• CNC Milled Aluminum KeyCaps from Tønsberg, NORWAY
    • MetalKeyboards SHOP
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 07 July 2021, 14:23:12 »
Shiny bottoms!
All METAL All DAY!

Offline Scriba

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 10 July 2021, 17:13:02 »
Sick

Offline Scriba

« Reply #125 on: Wed, 14 July 2021, 01:35:26 »
the design and finishing is world class. now i am even more curious to see what the third project (on the far right of your banner) is.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 22:56:02 »
Any updates? As I heard the board had a private run on Discord. Will there be a public GB?

Offline Shinigamii

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 19 January 2022, 23:18:24 »
Any updates? As I heard the board had a private run on Discord. Will there be a public GB?

As per his last discord update on Jan 8 of this year, he said "...if there is still sufficient demand [after the limited run has finished], Moment is planned for a vendor GB in Q1 2022."

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #128 on: Thu, 20 January 2022, 00:25:26 »
That's correct! I have been in the chats with vendors on Moment and things are looking promising for Q1 2022.

Offline Ustinj

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | 2022 IC Revamp, Full GB Soon
« Reply #129 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 20:50:24 »
Feb 2022 Update

Hello everyone

Did a bit of cleaning up on the IC and reformatting to keep things up to date. After a year, IMO, it seems that this board has only gotten better after each iteration!

The limited run that was hosted on Discord is nearing fulfillment. Now seems like a pretty good time to be considering what happens next, if the demand is still there! Made some decisions on GB colors, etc. If things go smoothly, I think we may be able to bring this project to group buy with vendors in late Q1 2022 / early Q2 2022!

Please, please fill out the VERY quick IC form for the project if you're still interested (even if you've filled out the original IC). With how many keyboard projects have been getting by lately and the overall market being a bit stagnant, I think it's necessary to re-gauge the amount of interest so I can make some important decisions regarding MOQ and pricing.

New IC form: https://forms.gle/hhNV2KpkCReaSiA6A

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/jjw_kb

Discord: https://discord.gg/uwBXETHrP9

Thanks!

Offline Sissy

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 20:57:15 »
Still interested for sure.

Offline thebreadsaver

« Reply #131 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 22:24:15 »
so glad to see the IC updated, still vv interested :))

Offline ankit

• Formerly ankit-sachdeva
« Reply #132 on: Sun, 06 February 2022, 23:17:59 »
Very in, gorgeous board.
collection:
More
  Daal, Emp Mini, HHKB x5, Horsey, Prophet, RS60, Seis Cero, Unikorn, Pixy Mini

Offline marici22

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 00:08:29 »
That's pretty clean!

Offline sagarsiddhpura

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 00:35:55 »
Can you please add an exploded view? It is difficult to gauge weight thickness and volume from those pictures. Keyboard IC should always have an exploded view

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 01:04:47 »
looks nice and very interested :)
I am not trying to doubt your ability to organize multiple GBs, but I am on the fence on run this GB before the fulfillment of cloudline.
I understand the decision to start GB asap before materials get (even more) expensive, Im just a not fan of running more than one keyboard GB at once.

Offline kidpid

« Reply #136 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 10:25:16 »
I am not trying to doubt your ability to organize multiple GBs, but I am on the fence on run this GB before the fulfillment of cloudline.
I understand the decision to start GB asap before materials get (even more) expensive, Im just a not fan of running more than one keyboard GB at once.

Cloudline is in CannonKey's hands now. Justin isn't running the fulfillment of that GB.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 12:19:21 »

I totally get that, but as kidpid mentioned, I'm never going to self-fulfill more than one group buy at a time - I am aiming to have reputable and reliable vendors on board for Moment when the GB comes and have already been in discussions with some interested vendors.

I am self-fulfilling a smaller run of Moment right now, but this full GB of course won't proceed until my own run is completely taken care of. I'm definitely wary of the trust factor; FWIW during my limited run for Moment anything else I do is completely fronted by me and in-stock.

If the concern is regarding the quality of the board itself, there should be ~50+ boards out there in people's hands before the GB even begins.

Can you please add an exploded view? It is difficult to gauge weight thickness and volume from those pictures. Keyboard IC should always have an exploded view

Very good call, I totally missed the inclusion of internals, I included an exploded view:

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 07 February 2022, 13:10:40 »

Cloudline is in CannonKey's hands now. Justin isn't running the fulfillment of that GB.

mb I took a fat L on cloudline fcfs so didnt really keep the track of it

Offline EdgeOfInfinity

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 08 February 2022, 17:58:06 »
protos look super litty

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #140 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 10:20:31 »
This is shaping up to be a must buy. Sad I missed out on the Cloudline and will def try to get my hands on one of these.

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 13:00:43 »
Hello folks -

I'm excited to have added a few vendors who are on board for the project, and it seems from our discussions we are on track for a May 2022 group buy.

Check the main thread for the current confirmed vendor list!

thanks.

Offline nug

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | 2022 IC Revamp, Full GB in MAY 2022.
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 14:47:14 »
Any chance of DailyClack being a vendor/proxy for Oceania?

Offline ABlazinBlueToe

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | 2022 IC Revamp, Full GB in MAY 2022.
« Reply #143 on: Wed, 09 February 2022, 15:02:11 »
That is a sexy board

Offline dRnRcRr

Re: [IC] Moment - 60% | Vendors, Full GB in May 2022.
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 00:45:20 »
Good to see this going to GB. Great job

Offline RoyalOak88

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 08:40:44 »
Sexy sexy board. Hope we can have an EU vendor

Offline Neely_12

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 08:57:14 »
Sexy sexy board. Hope we can have an EU vendor

I would guess there will be vendors for all of the major regions.

Offline deedz

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 03:58:21 »
didn't see an option to express interest for Icy Blue in the google form, but would love to see the color make it to the GB :) been waiting for a long time for this board!

Offline Draxion

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 11 February 2022, 20:52:18 »
May perfect birthday gift for myself

Offline Ustinj

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 22 February 2022, 13:11:36 »
Half gasket demo: