Author Topic: [GB][SHIPPED] Skull Squadron DSA set (aka: Macross)  (Read 1806026 times)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
Re: [GB] Skull Squadron DSA set (aka: Macross)
« Reply #250 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 17:19:21 »
but considering the lack of interest I'll reconsider my priorities :p

Have you ever thought that having SP manage everything has scared away most buyers?  I keep saying to you that if the OLD ways have worked why implement something different?

It doesn't matter what key-set profile you use, it will return the same results hence you need to re-assess your compulsion in using SP to run everything within a Group Buy.

The old ways of buying key-sets which most other people are still using here on Geekhack, is why their Group Buys are running perfectly, maybe you should ask yourself whether it's worth changing a tried and true method of organizing a key-set buy.

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #251 on: Sun, 16 February 2014, 19:33:15 »

Have you ever thought that having SP manage everything has scared away most buyers?  I keep saying to you that if the OLD ways have worked why implement something different?

It doesn't matter what key-set profile you use, it will return the same results hence you need to re-assess your compulsion in using SP to run everything within a Group Buy.

The old ways of buying key-sets which most other people are still using here on Geekhack, is why their Group Buys are running perfectly, maybe you should ask yourself whether it's worth changing a tried and true method of organizing a key-set buy.
Wasn't the whole point that he wouldn't be able to run the group buy if it wasn't implemented this way?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #252 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 01:36:50 »

I thought it was a great service, evidently people don't feel comfortable with it, but how could I know if I didn't try?

Again, I was aware this was a niche set, but I agree that if handle the old way we probably would already reached the MOQ.

I'll speak with SP and evaluate possible solutions for the future.

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 01:55:38 »
Do you guys really think the low order count is because of SP?

I actually love this service because it protects users from shady business. The number of failed GBs where OP went missing in action or even took the money and never delivered is just too damn high!
Not that this would have been the case with Matt3o, but not every GB is organized by a known and trusty member of the community.

I think the main problem is that this set has a niche design on a niche profile. Naturally people will hesitate to commit when there are so many other GBs running simultaneously. Just compare 2012 to 2013 - I am pretty sure the number of GBs has significantly increased and people only have a certain budget for keysets.

I just pulled the trigger on the 150$ GMK Dolch set and am part of all of Ivan's and Bunnylake's GBs. I simply have no money left for this set right now. I don't have a DSA set yet, but I want to try this profile eventually. Maybe later this year ;)

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 02:18:20 »

I actually love this service because it protects users from shady business. The number of failed GBs where OP went missing in action or even took the money and never delivered is just too damn high!
Not that this would have been the case with Matt3o, but not every GB is organized by a known and trusty member of the community.

Yep, it's Matt3o's fault for running such perfect Group Buys in the past  :thumb: .  He has already established such high credibility here that we are glad to deal with him personally rather than through a 3rd party.  Agree that when 'no-names' front up wanting to run a group buy you need this sort of system to save anyone losing their money when the organizer goes quiet or decides to run off with everyone's money.

Please ignore my stupid questions relating to trust and issues around SP, I am naturally suspicious of every corporation (it's in my dna) when it comes to instigating change in our normally run Group Buys.  Maybe this is the future from now on.

Offline pasph

« Reply #255 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 04:49:23 »

Wasn't TheProf and WFD trusty members of the community?
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline StylinGreymon

• Keyboard Hipstar
« Reply #256 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 04:50:37 »
Who?
If today had been a hippo, then you'd really have to worry about tomorrow.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 05:00:11 »
What about the BoB PBT DSA one?

Indeed, that will be most likely my next set.

I'm so looking forward to that set.  When do you think you will do the IC?
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 05:24:09 »

I've dealt with Prof, it took forever to get an item from him but he did deliver eventually, on that item which was paid for months ago.  Yes, it took forever but I learned that there are other people more capable of running Group Buys here on this forum.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 06:17:24 »

Probably next week.

Offline regack

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 06:29:40 »

Probably next week.

First set using a new system...
Less general appeal than retro...
More signup to create an account to purchase...
Various problems with the website at the start...
Feels more like an outright purchase than a group buy...

Anyone have an account at http://www.macrossworld.com/ to cross post for interest? :D

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 06:41:12 »
Anyone have an account at http://www.macrossworld.com/ to cross post for interest? :D

I tried to tweet the webmaster but got no response.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 08:04:12 »
It may be useful to start running the IC for the upcoming BoB PBT set. If Macross does not reach its MOQ everthing will be ready to open the GB for the BoB. Less waiting time for the interested parties  :thumb:

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #263 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:15:43 »
It may be useful to start running the IC for the upcoming BoB PBT set. If Macross does not reach its MOQ everthing will be ready to open the GB for the BoB. Less waiting time for the interested parties  :thumb:

I'm waiting for key availability from SP... and I'm not going to do the BoB if this doesn't reach the MOQ :P (okay... kidding)

Offline LechnerDE

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:17:52 »
Quick question:

BoB means black on black (similar to IvanIvanovich's current PBT dyesub GB) Or something completely different?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #265 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:22:42 »

I think the main problem is that this set has a niche design on a niche profile.

First set using a new system...
Less general appeal than retro...
More signup to create an account to purchase...
Various problems with the website at the start...

I agree with Lechner DE and some points from regack. I think it's the hiccups of the new SP system and the lack of general appeal with both the profile and color.

For me, I've never heard of the Macross series or watched any until this GB came along. So I don't have any connection to the GB other than the colors. I like the color scheme but I don't like DSA profile.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #266 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 09:27:52 »
Quick question:

BoB means black on black (similar to IvanIvanovich's current PBT dyesub GB) Or something completely different?

Black on Beige. Actually let's call it just Beige.

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #267 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 11:15:50 »
is this really that niche of a design? its like the most common SP colors you can get (RA, WA, etc), add in that extra set and you got this nice clean theme, just the right amount of being unusual.

i totally understand that not everyone likes DSA, it is very different to type on, but i don't believe that a majority of people wouldn't like DSA. Its also the perfect gaming profile in my opinion and works well with all switches, tons of different keyboards and layouts. Yes its not sculpted and has less surface so i guess you can say its not AS ergonomic as DCS, Cherry, etc but far from being like typing on a scissor switch keyboard which someone once compared it to awhile back (i was like wtf).

I'm thinking its just not getting love and having bad luck and press, lots of people saying DSA is terrible in the actual group buy thread instead of the interest check thread or a new DSA-Hate thread, lots of people saying SP system is terrible (which i doubt is true, though i wish this didn't get moved to another forum) in the group buy thread and not a separate thread, and i guess less people know what it's based on, and don't see just how awesome this is.

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
« Reply #268 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 18:27:00 »
Beautiful design, Matt3o!

- Ron | samwisekoi
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #269 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:13:28 »
I really like the design and enjoy my Retro DSA set. I'm not into Macross at all, but that's nothing to do with why I'm not jumping. The only reason is timing since I'm already in a few other GB's.

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #270 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:28:03 »
i guess less people know what it's based on, and don't see just how awesome this is.

This is the category that I fall into. I think it is a cool looking design, but I'm not familiar with the show.

I really wanted to see Midnight DSA.   

More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #271 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 22:32:36 »
It is important to understand this is NOT an interest check. If you are not interested you are welcome to just ignore it. There is not benefit in sharing your opinion now, when the IC has passed already.
« Last Edit: Mon, 17 February 2014, 23:18:44 by ideus »

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #272 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 23:08:17 »
It is important to understand this is NOT an interest check. If you are not interest you are welcome to just ignore it. There is not benefit in sharing your opinion now, when the IC has passed already.

I was just agreeing with GLOD.  But thank you for the tip.
More

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 01:07:18 »
Beautiful design, Matt3o!

hey Ron, thanks!

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:57:40 »
So, am I the only one who ordered most other sets + the base set, but only the base set shows up in the order history?

Offline regack

« Reply #275 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 09:59:15 »
So, am I the only one who ordered most other sets + the base set, but only the base set shows up in the order history?

No, I think it's like that for everybody.  It's something that they're still working on.

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #276 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:33:37 »
Cool cool, just making sure.  Thanks!

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #277 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 02:48:22 »
I tried to post on the macross forum, but I've been basically flagged as spammer. really unfortunate, but I get it.

Anyway, no new sells, I guess there's no really interest for such a set. Well, at least I tried...

Offline skuko

« Reply #278 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 03:54:01 »
just let it run its course, i'm very disappointed that people are not getting in on this.

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #279 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 04:43:08 »
Gonna be so sad if this doesn't go through. People need to start listening to the skeptics less and give sp a fair chance to wow us. This set is definitely worth giving them a chance, especially after all the hard work Matt3o has put into it.

Offline submarinedog

« Reply #280 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 05:42:32 »
Gonna be so sad if this doesn't go through. People need to start listening to the skeptics less and give sp a fair chance to wow us. This set is definitely worth giving them a chance, especially after all the hard work Matt3o has put into it.

I agree, this looks fantastic. I've been eyeing this since the group buy started and have a CM Quickfire stealth with MX greens on the way and I think the colour combo will go nicely on the black casing.

Will the group buy go ahead regardless if MOQ is not reached?

Offline pasph

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 05:45:04 »
From what i can remember this would be the first set, after the original Miami, that would fail to succeed.
This imo can't be related to the beauty of this set.
"There is more stupidity than hydrogen in the universe, and it has a longer shelf life"

Offline skuko

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:31:10 »
SP should go through with it regardless of meeting the MOQ imo, just to prove that the process streamlining works and to put their sorting and mailing capabilities to the test ;)

Offline JayKthnx

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:44:09 »
I'd be fine with paying more to cover the costs of not meeting moq

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 06:46:24 »
SP should go through with it regardless of meeting the MOQ imo, just to prove that the process streamlining works and to put their sorting and mailing capabilities to the test ;)

I'm actually discussing this opportunity.

I'd be fine with paying more to cover the costs of not meeting moq

That might work, but 25 would be the real minimum I would accept.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #285 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:15:18 »
I suppose if it goes to production at 25 sets the mods and other sets will not be produced, right?

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #286 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:18:28 »
yeah I'd say, all or nothing.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #287 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:24:24 »
Alright, lets see the final cost if it goes at lower MOQ. If it happens like that I may need to drop the add-on sets and provide my address within CONUS to keep its final cost reasonable, so please let us know before the final decision. I really want to participate in the BoB PBT set also, so I need to save some money.

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #288 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:28:49 »
sure, I'll keep all of you posted

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #289 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:30:58 »
This robot is very cool -[°_°]-
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 February 2014, 08:34:07 by ideus »

Offline regack

« Reply #290 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 12:22:07 »
If it changes to MOQ of 25 (wasn't that it originally?)
This robot is very cool -[°_°]-

Yes. 

I was hoping it would be creeping up a bit more.  I'd buy another set to help push it up, but with so many needed it wouldn't make much of a dent.  I really want the numpad to go with it... but I'll take just the main set if it comes to that.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #291 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 12:28:24 »
At some point in the base set MOQ was lower but the price was near $90. It changed up and price reduced. Anyway, I hope it still can be made. It is a nice set, but wallets may be depleted after many recent GBs, some with same profile. I think the PBT one will be a more unique offering and people will be interested in it.

It is a shame this is getting no love though.

Offline JaccoW

• Fire Typer!!
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Keyboard is Lava!
« Reply #292 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 17:15:41 »
Alright, lets see the final cost if it goes at lower MOQ. If it happens like that I may need to drop the add-on sets and provide my address within CONUS to keep its final cost reasonable, so please let us know before the final decision. I really want to participate in the BoB PBT set also, so I need to save some money.
Exactly, My shopping cart was already lowered from somewhere around $190 to $160 now. Maybe it will even hit a lower price after people receive their money at the end of the month.
|||Daily driver: Duck Orion TKL
|||My other keyboards :
More
|||The Original|Home|Work|Numpad|Play|Endgame|Keycaps
x
|Déck Legend Frost|Keycool 87 LE|Leopold FC660M|FC 210TP|Raptor K1 Gaming|Duck Orion TKL|My keycaps & sets
|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics|Pics

|||Want to know what Keycap stores there are? Check out my Keyboard Pearltree and my (FS/FT/WTB) thread

Offline Excessive

• Signature Plastics
« Reply #293 on: Thu, 20 February 2014, 20:15:58 »
Hey everyone, just a quick heads up. We are launching the grab bags next week. Anyone who is participating in one of the group buys on the site gets first dips. We will be emailing you a private link at least 24 hours before it is published to the public. It's our way of saying thank you for supporting us and the new platform. Watch your inboxes!

Offline Coumbaya

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 21 February 2014, 00:03:27 »
Hey everyone, just a quick heads up. We are launching the grab bags next week. Anyone who is participating in one of the group buys on the site gets first dips. We will be emailing you a private link at least 24 hours before it is published to the public. It's our way of saying thank you for supporting us and the new platform. Watch your inboxes!

:cool: Yay !
Filco MJ2, Browns, Skull Squadron Ducky Shine III, Browns, Granite Unknown, White Alps & trackpad 1390132 & 1391402 Model M

Offline Matt3o

• -[°_°]-
  • ** Robot Emeritus
« Reply #295 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 02:48:15 »
there are some very exciting news regarding this set. Keep ordering but Skull Squadron might see the light anyway... but please let's try to reach 25 at least for the base set!

More info near the end of the GB

Offline tadbitnerdy

« Reply #296 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 16:36:39 »
Yeah, still in, and there is still a hold on my account from paypal for the amount.  Man I hope this set comes to light!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #297 on: Sat, 22 February 2014, 17:38:53 »
there are some very exciting news regarding this set. Keep ordering but Skull Squadron might see the light anyway... but please let's try to reach 25 at least for the base set!

More info near the end of the GB

Hey Matt, just try to keep the price reasonable.

Offline regack

« Reply #298 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 11:32:37 »
Only 7 more until 25 :D

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #299 on: Mon, 24 February 2014, 11:37:16 »
Yeah, but only two more orders added the last week. I hope more jump in before the deadline.