Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2451944 times)

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6300 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 05:58:33 »

Someone should have convinced me sooner.

Some people read what Chyros says.
LOL xD
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #6301 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 14:06:12 »
Sad truth is, there was plenty of opportunity to know that Alps tactility is the best.

I knew it not long after getting into keyboards in August last year. It didn't take many searches for 'better MX tactiles' to learn that the best MX 'upgrade' is to Alps. It was confirmed instantly when I attended a meetup.

It was obvious then that I could just skip MX and go straight to ALPS, but I gave Cherry a chance. Still am, by the way. Have Zilents on order.

But Orange / Brown ALPS are the true end-game for tactiles.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6302 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 12:30:42 »

Sup.

Nice, another lost brother found! Black Dell bigfoot/Tai-Hao ALPS Dolch crew rise!

Can someone tell me where and/or how to order the alternate CapsLock that will fit the AT101?

I tried Mechanical Keyboards but they are making like they don't know what I am talking about.

Thanks!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #6303 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 16:34:19 »

Sup.

Nice, another lost brother found! Black Dell bigfoot/Tai-Hao ALPS Dolch crew rise!

Can someone tell me where and/or how to order the alternate CapsLock that will fit the AT101?

I tried Mechanical Keyboards but they are making like they don't know what I am talking about.

Thanks!

Since it's a stepped you can't really buy one online then harvesting it from a other DELL AT101, And yeah Mechanical keyboard reddit is all about Anne pro's and tao hao keycaps not a good place to ask for advice.
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6304 on: Thu, 03 October 2019, 16:38:53 »
Maybe I am mistaken, but I thought I remembered some time back that people were able to buy a CapsLock (and perhaps a space bar) to fit. It was a standalone item that did not come in the regular kit.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #6305 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 00:26:58 »
Tai-Hao sells one for like USD 1.50 from their web-store, but the postage is something like USD11.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #6306 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 02:06:33 »
Got a board with orange Alps. Forgot how amazing they are.

Offline mode

« Reply #6307 on: Wed, 06 November 2019, 00:52:20 »
Got a board with orange Alps. Forgot how amazing they are.

I'm cleaning a set up now, I've only ever used them in somewhat dirty condition, and thus far still prefer the fairly pristine salmons I transplanted into my daily driver ISO AEKII.

Curious to see how much of a difference there is, I'm not expecting the world tbh!

The best reason to be desoldering switches from a vintage board is to replace them with better switches!
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 November 2019, 01:52:26 by mode »

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6308 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 17:08:11 »
Hey guys, just traveled for 2 hrs (back and forth) to pick up my first ALPS ever!

Dell At102, black alps. As I have researched from the internet, this is not the best alps switch ever. But I have had not much experience with mechanical keyboard anyways, So yeah Im still very excited regardless.

Plus, the keyboard is brand new, sit perfectly in a box and has never bene used before. And I had a good deal on it. So yeah, wth, it is a win for me.
The keyboard is absolutely huge, and I love it XD. Typing on it for a bit (this post right here!), I think the feel is alright. The key feels stiff to me, but at the same time is quite responsive. I am not flying all over the keyboard, but at the same time I am not an superb typist anyways.

I would say though, it is definitely enough for me to put a cherry clone blue switch away immediately. God that thing is awful I can't locate the key at all, plus the noise is unbearable. Overall, this keyboard will be my working keyboard for the time being, the key caps are well put together I can locate them all pretty easy. I have seen a few videos about modding the black alps switch, however I am not too sure if I should do it because hunting a reasonable price one like this already hard enough for me. Do not want to mess anything up.
Anyways, just a newbie in this mechanical kb game, experiencing an alps switch for the first time and is super excited to share it. You all have a great day XD

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6309 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 17:26:50 »
AT101 gets less respect than it should. After you break it in, you should find that it is a very pleasant workhorse.

That is an early one, if it has PBT caps you should consider yourself especially lucky. Test it with acetone (aka fingernail polish remover) - touch a tiny drop on the inside of a key cap with a toothpick and scratch around a bit. PBT caps will be unharmed, ABS will melt slightly and you will see the scratch.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6310 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 18:27:37 »
Very nice, congrats! :) I maintain an AT101 should be everyone's first board :D . And NOS is the best stock!

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6311 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 02:21:43 »
AT101 gets less respect than it should. After you break it in, you should find that it is a very pleasant workhorse.

That is an early one, if it has PBT caps you should consider yourself especially lucky. Test it with acetone (aka fingernail polish remover) - touch a tiny drop on the inside of a key cap with a toothpick and scratch around a bit. PBT caps will be unharmed, ABS will melt slightly and you will see the scratch.
I also feel that I would absolutely love this keyboard once getting used to it. It is so well design in my opinion, I make noticeably less typo using this than my last one for sure.
Neat, I will test it out just to see. Do they make any difference?
Very nice, congrats! :) I maintain an AT101 should be everyone's first board :D . And NOS is the best stock!

Thank you, though I am unsure what is NOS :p

Offline DALExSNAIL

• The User Formerly Known as 'Formerly DudeSnail'
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6312 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 09:07:54 »
Dunno if this is the appropriate place to ask really, but I'm curious if anyone's tried the sprit alps sprint replacements?

Considering buying some for a board, but his MX springs were never in line with other makers, and stock, as far as weighting goes.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6313 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:08:57 »
@DALExSNAIL - worth a shot. and really the only way to get lighter alps. i grabbed a set for a build i have planned. i think i remember reading somewhere the initial issues were worked out in the last year or two. obviously the only other option would be to harvest from other switches.

what weight were you thinking of getting?
what switch were you planning to swap them into?
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:16:20 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6314 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:42:47 »
@DALExSNAIL - worth a shot. and really the only way to get lighter alps. i grabbed a set for a build i have planned. i think i remember reading somewhere the initial issues were worked out in the last year or two. obviously the only other option would be to harvest from other switches.

what weight were you thinking of getting?
what switch were you planning to swap them into?

Well I was hoping for 45 or 50, but leaning into the 45 a bit more. The problem there is only that I was hoping to swap into quiet clicks, and I'm not sure if the force from those springs would allow a proper return, or if it would get stuck, similar to ergoclears with springs too light.

I'd be open to other suggestions though, as far as alps go, since it's really where I'm least knowledgeable keyboard wise. Really trying to get in the MX cherry silent reds, and cherry browns weight range. Prefer tactile, but don't need super super tactile. For reference my favorite switches are vintage browns lol.

Also dunno how limited swap options are for matias housings. Really trying to avoid desoldering on the Model 01 if I can (and I'm pretty sure I can mod alps without desoldering?)  plus the diffusing from the clear housings is very nice.

Offline Riverman

« Reply #6315 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 10:55:44 »
Thank you, though I am unsure what is NOS :p
It's an abbreviation for New Old Stock.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6316 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:04:41 »
quiet clicks... they're already a bit lighter (60/35 per their site) than normal dampened alps (usually around 70-ish)

looking at sprits site... says 45 is similar to green linears (which are 50-ish), matias linear & tactiles. but would feel like a heavier weight in a tactile or clicky switch (resistance of contact & tactile leafs)
Please consider additional forces of Contact leaf(5-10cN) & 2nd Leaf(5-15cN)
so, really doubt that you would notice a big difference.

yes, alps can be opened without desoldering. little different than MX but still totally do-able.

funny, your tastes seem to line up with what i was going for with my next project. i actually have 45cn sprit springs, alps green springs, and a bunch of older apple boards (including a dampened white alps AEKII '95)

i could do some experimenting with what i have, but would have time for another week or two.

i am also typing on a board with ergo clears (cherry clear stem/top housing, gateron brown spring/bottom housing) and have had no issues with stems not returning.
« Last Edit: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:07:30 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline DALExSNAIL

• * Esteemed Elder
  • 𝖋𝖚𝖈𝖐 𝖆𝖑𝖕𝖘
« Reply #6317 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:22:24 »
quiet clicks... they're already a bit lighter (60/35 per their site) than normal dampened alps (usually around 70-ish)

looking at sprits site... says 45 is similar to green linears (which are 50-ish), matias linear & tactiles. but would feel like a heavier weight in a tactile or clicky switch (resistance of contact & tactile leafs)
Please consider additional forces of Contact leaf(5-10cN) & 2nd Leaf(5-15cN)
so, really doubt that you would notice a big difference.

yes, alps can be opened without desoldering. little different than MX but still totally do-able.

funny, your tastes seem to line up with what i was going for with my next project. i actually have 45cn sprit springs, alps green springs, and a bunch of older apple boards (including a dampened white alps AEKII '95)

i could do some experimenting with what i have, but would have time for another week or two.

i am also typing on a board with ergo clears (cherry clear stem/top housing, gateron brown spring/bottom housing) and have had no issues with stems not returning.

I've not had issues with ergos in the past, I've used 62g in all I've used though. Just have heard that a lot of people saying that when using light springs with no lube, they've had issues.

I guess the weighting of the initial bump is really what's getting me maybe, if it drops to 35? It's mostly my right pinky that's having issues, but I do feel fatigue in my other fingers over time in my left hand. My pinky has early signs of trigger finger, so I've been trying to avoid straining it as much as possible really, I just really like tactility tbh. Alps might just be too tactile across the board though because of the design, so I'm hoping I don't have to just swap to linear.

Definitely tell me any results you have on the testing though, I'm going to take this decision a bit slower than normal, as I don't plan on swapping keyboards for the foreseeable future, so wanna get something right early on.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6318 on: Thu, 14 November 2019, 11:34:21 »
do some searching, see if anyone had swapped in lighter springs into quiet clicks. i'm sure someone did it & posted their findings somewhere out there. or how light you can go in old dampened alps (cream/white). alps will probably have more issues returning with light springs than tactile MX, solely for the design of the alps tactile leaf.

...how low can you go... lol

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6319 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 08:54:26 »
GUYS my blue alps came in the mail! Even though I don't like clicky switches they are still really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Things I like about Blue Alps
  • Click mechanism is way better than anything else
  • Weighting is perfect. Lighter than white alps but not too light
  • The sound is luxurious. It is like summer rain on a grassy meadow
  • The feel is so good!! It's like my hands are punching holes in the keyboard
I am not sure whether to make a custom board out of them. The keyboard they came in is in very bad shape, however, the switches are in good condition. I am planning to ultrasonically clean the switches, and then find something to put them in. Unfortunately, many of the modern day keyboards have extremely thin cases, which is not a good thing. If anyone can find me a thick, roomy, Alps case (preferably 60%) I will be very happy indeed.

tl;dr Blue alps are good switches, someone find me a thick 60% plastic case
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6320 on: Sun, 17 November 2019, 12:30:22 »
Alps are the best!

Wish i could get my hands on a AEK right now , got my paycheck just a few days ago

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6321 on: Tue, 19 November 2019, 14:49:52 »
GUYS my blue alps came in the mail! Even though I don't like clicky switches they are still really good!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What is the name of the keyboard, if I may ask?

Offline mode

« Reply #6322 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 04:46:00 »
I have a blue alps board in terrible condition, the switches bind and are really scratchy. I tried a manual clean on a few switches but they still kinda sucked so I invested in an ultrasonic bath.

What do people recommend using for fluid?

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #6323 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 07:39:44 »
I have a blue alps board in terrible condition, the switches bind and are really scratchy. I tried a manual clean on a few switches but they still kinda sucked so I invested in an ultrasonic bath.

If they are not too dirty, you can clean them with distilled water (and rinse them after with new distilled water if needed). If they are dirty, just use tap water with some detergent, either the typical green one for ultrasonic cleaners or regular non-scented detergent. If you use regular detergent add a tad of soap. You must rinse them with distilled water after that though.

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #6324 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 09:46:26 »

I would clean the bottom housings and then get NOS Pine White top housings and swap the top housings. Now this will make the switches a bit higher pitched but the amount of smoothness that you get back from the new top housings is worth it.

Offline mode

« Reply #6325 on: Wed, 20 November 2019, 09:57:51 »

I would clean the bottom housings and then get NOS Pine White top housings and swap the top housings. Now this will make the switches a bit higher pitched but the amount of smoothness that you get back from the new top housings is worth it.

Not sure I can be bothered to get a clean set of whites though. I bought this board cheaply on a whim, as I prefer tactile switches, just wanted to see what blues are like. Cleaning is definitely my next step before any further investment.

Offline gaunt

« Reply #6326 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 12:31:37 »
Hello fellow Alps lovers. I've been using an m0116 with Orange Alps for the last year or so which has been a blast, but for my daily driver I really need n-key rollover and I'd prefer a bit more of a standard layout. Now I'm looking for a case for a new build, but I haven't kept a close eye on group buys for a while, and most of what I've seen lately seem to only support Cherry. Are there any interesting upcoming cases that are Alps-compatible? Haven't heard anything about the UEK for a while. I also really liked the look of the Lunar AEK (and would probably prefer a 66% or TKL layout) but unfortunately didn't have the money at the time and now they're quite expensive on the used market.

Would also be interested in non-group buy cases if anyone has some experience with them, think I saw a 66% alu or steel case that was Alps-compatible a few years ago but now I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Offline mode

« Reply #6327 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 15:01:01 »
Hello fellow Alps lovers. I've been using an m0116 with Orange Alps for the last year or so which has been a blast, but for my daily driver I really need n-key rollover and I'd prefer a bit more of a standard layout. Now I'm looking for a case for a new build, but I haven't kept a close eye on group buys for a while, and most of what I've seen lately seem to only support Cherry. Are there any interesting upcoming cases that are Alps-compatible? Haven't heard anything about the UEK for a while. I also really liked the look of the Lunar AEK (and would probably prefer a 66% or TKL layout) but unfortunately didn't have the money at the time and now they're quite expensive on the used market.

Would also be interested in non-group buy cases if anyone has some experience with them, think I saw a 66% alu or steel case that was Alps-compatible a few years ago but now I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

The tex case works with the LFKeyboards SMK-TKL pcb, I just finished a build, I had the plate made for it from laserboost.

Offline Pheyn

« Reply #6328 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 19:02:49 »
Hey all,

is there any physical difference between skcl yellows & greens? I read that the yellow spring is heavier, but if I throw a green spring in a yellow switch, would there be any actual difference in feel or sound? Thanks :D

Offline nevin

« Reply #6329 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 07:28:08 »
@Pheyn - both are linear, greens a little lighter. if building a new board, just use green if you want something lighter, if it's already built/soldered, sprig swap would get the same effect. also looks like both are of the pine variety (slits).
https://deskthority.net/wiki/Alps_SKCL/SKCM_series

@gaunt - when looking, check the switch footprint on the pcb, if they look like this they are MX & Alps compatible. a good many PCBs support alps.
230961-0
photo: Keeb.io - Quefrency (split staggered 60-65%)
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2019, 07:46:02 by nevin »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6330 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 07:33:25 »
Hey all,

is there any physical difference between skcl yellows & greens? I read that the yellow spring is heavier, but if I throw a green spring in a yellow switch, would there be any actual difference in feel or sound? Thanks :D
yes, there are differences besides the weighting, but they're not that huge if you have pine yellows.

Offline mode

« Reply #6331 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 07:53:01 »
I finally finished a project of mine today, assembling an SKCM orange board with nexus sliders, modified original top housings and a set of SA Dasher in a tex aluminium TKL case. I tried the nexus housings, but they suffered from terrible binding.

It works! It's nice to type on, it does have a slight tradeoff, comparing it to an M0116 for reference, off centre keypresses have some resistance to them, so i've started applying a trace of ptfe lube to the modifier keys, the main alphas are just fine.

I'll use it as a daily driver for a few weeks and report my thoughts on it in more detail once I've gotten used to it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2019, 08:39:03 by mode »

Offline mode

« Reply #6332 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 09:05:29 »
I recorded a quick comparison with an M0116 for comparison, the first half is the Apple board, the second is SA Dasher.

« Last Edit: Fri, 29 November 2019, 09:15:09 by mode »

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #6333 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 09:44:00 »
I finally finished a project of mine today, assembling an SKCM orange board with nexus sliders, modified original top housings and a set of SA Dasher in a tex aluminium TKL case. I tried the nexus housings, but they suffered from terrible binding.

It works! It's nice to type on, it does have a slight tradeoff, comparing it to an M0116 for reference, off centre keypresses have some resistance to them, so i've started applying a trace of ptfe lube to the modifier keys, the main alphas are just fine.

I'll use it as a daily driver for a few weeks and report my thoughts on it in more detail once I've gotten used to it.

After getting the cruciformer I also built a project that's been ongoing for a long time. GMK Yuri in a pearl keyboard with orange alps and nexus sliders. I did use the nexus housings as well, but after seeing the binding issue, I just filed them a bit instead of filing the original housings. Still want to try some with original housings though, I think it changes the feeling quite a bit.

Let us know your impressions!

Offline mode

« Reply #6334 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 09:50:58 »

After getting the cruciformer I also built a project that's been ongoing for a long time. GMK Yuri in a pearl keyboard with orange alps and nexus sliders. I did use the nexus housings as well, but after seeing the binding issue, I just filed them a bit instead of filing the original housings. Still want to try some with original housings though, I think it changes the feeling quite a bit.

Let us know your impressions!

I did the same, but found that something about POM on POM results in a squeeky binding feeling with off axis keypresses, it just didn't feel right. I did 6 switches in a cluster for testing and I just wasn't happy with it. I sacreficed a bamboo dampened white top housing to experiment with and that was so much better I took the plunge with a set of oranges. These feel like alps through and through.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6335 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 12:30:40 »

This is a late reply :) The keyboard is unidentifiable, but on the PCB I have found a marking that reads: KB-5161EA

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6336 on: Mon, 02 December 2019, 13:21:14 »

This is a late reply :) The keyboard is unidentifiable, but on the PCB I have found a marking that reads: KB-5161EA

Sounds like a Chicony model no., but I'm no expert on vintage boards so don't take that as gospel.

Offline mode

« Reply #6337 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:06:25 »
I've cleaned up some SKCM blues and noticed something about them, despite looking perfectly clean they're just not as smooth as my SKCM oranges, a switch I'm significantly more familiar with. They're not bad at all, just the oranges don't stick when pressed off centre at all, even at extreme angles.

I experimented with swapping the sliders as I have a ton of spare from my nexus slider build and to my surprise the slider was what made the difference. I much prefer my blues with orange sliders in.

Looking at them close up, the plastic on the blues is a little more textured. Lube doesn't make a difference, unlubed orange sliders are better than lubed blue ones.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6338 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 06:28:27 »
I've cleaned up some SKCM blues and noticed something about them, despite looking perfectly clean they're just not as smooth as my SKCM oranges, a switch I'm significantly more familiar with. They're not bad at all, just the oranges don't stick when pressed off centre at all, even at extreme angles.

I experimented with swapping the sliders as I have a ton of spare from my nexus slider build and to my surprise the slider was what made the difference. I much prefer my blues with orange sliders in.

Looking at them close up, the plastic on the blues is a little more textured. Lube doesn't make a difference, unlubed orange sliders are better than lubed blue ones.
This is a condition thing. Alps switches in good condition don't bind on off-centre keypresses. Most often, in my experience, the part at fault is the slider track in the upper housing. This has the potential to get rough with use, increasing friction. Also in my experience, lubrication only shows very limited success, and is no substitute for buying good-condition switches. As such, your findings are directly in line with mine.

Offline mode

« Reply #6339 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 06:40:42 »

This is a condition thing. Alps switches in good condition don't bind on off-centre keypresses. Most often, in my experience, the part at fault is the slider track in the upper housing. This has the potential to get rough with use, increasing friction. Also in my experience, lubrication only shows very limited success, and is no substitute for buying good-condition switches. As such, your findings are directly in line with mine.

Either way, I'm probably going to swap in the orange sliders, kind of annoying not to keep them original, but they do feel that much better.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6340 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 07:28:42 »

Either way, I'm probably going to swap in the orange sliders, kind of annoying not to keep them original, but they do feel that much better.

Well SKCM blues & oranges ran at the same time for a bit I believe. Also the major difference between clicky & tactile SKCM ALPS is the secondary leaf (tactile or click leaf), so other than visually for all intents & purposes they are the same as better condition blues.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6341 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 11:10:33 »

Well SKCM blues & oranges ran at the same time for a bit I believe. Also the major difference between clicky & tactile SKCM ALPS is the secondary leaf (tactile or click leaf), so other than visually for all intents & purposes they are the same as better condition blues.

>_<

I want alps

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #6342 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 21:12:01 »

Heya folks, wanna share my little project that came to fruition recently. Featuring the King of Tactiles, Alps SKCM Browns on a FR4 plate. The enclosure is a custom cut, bonded (which failed horrendously at QC but somehow the guy let it slipped), and painted (which also failed, but hey it looks good on pics) acrylic Orion V3. Also leds because Ducks.

Offline ErgoMacros

« Reply #6343 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 21:39:28 »
... Also leds because Ducks...

Nicely linearized waterfowl.
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #6344 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 08:15:53 »
Show Image

Heya folks, wanna share my little project that came to fruition recently. Featuring the King of Tactiles, Alps SKCM Browns on a FR4 plate. The enclosure is a custom cut, bonded (which failed horrendously at QC but somehow the guy let it slipped), and painted (which also failed, but hey it looks good on pics) acrylic Orion V3. Also leds because Ducks.

How are the browns on an FR4 plate? Specially compared to on a regular aluminium plate. Does the plate drown the tactility bump?

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6345 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 11:30:18 »
Show Image

Reminds me of a yellowed M0116, where the keycaps are all white, while the space and case have yellowed over time :)

Offline ppCircle

• Vintage = Love
« Reply #6346 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 07:17:27 »
My new find fk-747 with polish sub legends

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/uxBlQ6n

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #6347 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 08:08:14 »
My new find fk-747 with polish sub legends

Show Image

Show Image

More photos: https://imgur.com/a/uxBlQ6n

Wow, looks nice. However i feel that those keycaps will get old with age

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6348 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 08:33:21 »

i feel that those keycaps will get old with age

You are obviously going for the Yogi Berra award with these odd syntax structures.

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #6349 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 20:50:54 »
Show Image

How are the browns on an FR4 plate? Specially compared to on a regular aluminium plate. Does the plate drown the tactility bump?
Not a bit. They make the bottom out very pleasant since the browns have such a violent tactile event. I like soft plates for all kinds of switches since I used to have SKCM Blues on sus and it was painful to type