Author Topic: Alps Appreciation Thread  (Read 2435669 times)

Offline d.caminero

Re: Alps Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6350 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 04:27:10 »
Not a bit. They make the bottom out very pleasant since the browns have such a violent tactile event. I like soft plates for all kinds of switches since I used to have SKCM Blues on sus and it was painful to type

Interesting! I will have to try it, since the only thing I dislike (though not much) is the harsh bottom out of my SKCM brown in the Lunar AEK. Thanks!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6351 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 21:15:08 »
Show Image

Heya folks, wanna share my little project that came to fruition recently. Featuring the King of Tactiles, Alps SKCM Browns on a FR4 plate. The enclosure is a custom cut, bonded (which failed horrendously at QC but somehow the guy let it slipped), and painted (which also failed, but hey it looks good on pics) acrylic Orion V3. Also leds because Ducks.

How are the browns on an FR4 plate? Specially compared to on a regular aluminium plate. Does the plate drown the tactility bump?
Not a bit. They make the bottom out very pleasant since the browns have such a violent tactile event. I like soft plates for all kinds of switches since I used to have SKCM Blues on sus and it was painful to type

What kind of plate would you say feels good/similar to FR4? I'm planning to build an ergonomic with blues. Have you tried anything better that you prefer more than FR4?
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline nickaster1

« Reply #6352 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 23:31:51 »
Show Image

Heya folks, wanna share my little project that came to fruition recently. Featuring the King of Tactiles, Alps SKCM Browns on a FR4 plate. The enclosure is a custom cut, bonded (which failed horrendously at QC but somehow the guy let it slipped), and painted (which also failed, but hey it looks good on pics) acrylic Orion V3. Also leds because Ducks.

How are the browns on an FR4 plate? Specially compared to on a regular aluminium plate. Does the plate drown the tactility bump?

What kind of plate would you say feels good/similar to FR4? I'm planning to build an ergonomic with blues. Have you tried anything better that you prefer more than FR4?
Imo any non-metal material plate would do the trick. I went with FR4 since that was the option available at the time.

On a another note, I would highly recommend a non-metal case to go with any sort of Alps. Just better sound quality.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6353 on: Tue, 10 December 2019, 21:24:48 »
Yeah, plastic really brings out the sound more. Just look at the DC2014. Better than every other Alps board because it's made out of... you guessed it! Plastic!

treeleaf64

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #6354 on: Tue, 17 December 2019, 14:51:30 »
Yeah, plastic really brings out the sound more. Just look at the DC2014. Better than every other Alps board because it's made out of... you guessed it! Plastic!

treeleaf64

While I agree with the sound of plastic really brings the sound for Alps by far the best chassis is the EPSON Q103A. Super hollow and all plastic like it should be. Has the right amount of hollowness that you can hear the deepness of the switches in the chassis and it for sure beats out the DC2014 if you are able to get your hands on one.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6355 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 12:48:41 »
Cool, I just looked it up and that thing looks Huge! With a capital H :)

Offline pabile

• pabile online
« Reply #6356 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 06:54:49 »
hey guys, look! i just found grey alps switches (clone?). first time to see these.
there's at least four numpads and one seems unused. will try to get at least one home  :D

235302-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #6357 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 17:57:24 »
Today I received an ALPS Electric keyboard to replace one that I had years ago but foolishly sold to J Carpenter at a time when I needed a few bucks quick.

I have been looking for another one for a long time, and finally it turned up on ebay, here in Tennessee (right in the tornado zone). I bought it, at the time of the tornado, for a great price (<$50 shipped). I was amazed that nobody else snagged it, and I certainly wasn't going to post it in Great Finds.

The unit was a little dirty on the outside but pristine and like new inside, Pine whites with doubleshot key caps! I can't get a shot of the PCB markings without removing the switches, which I am not going to do. Note the alternate stabilizer accommodations on the space bar.

"It turns out that for a decade, whenever Trump wanted to get a loan, or make a deal, he would inflate the value of his real estate. For instance, suggesting that his 11,000-square foot penthouse was a 30,000-square foot penthouse.
And the attorney general of New York knew that Trump's property values were inflated because when it came time to pay taxes, Trump undervalued the very same properties.
It was all part of a very sophisticated real estate practice known as “lying.”
- Jon Stewart 2024-03-28

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6358 on: Tue, 10 March 2020, 19:25:16 »
Today I received an ALPS Electric keyboard to replace one that I had years ago but foolishly sold to J Carpenter at a time when I needed a few bucks quick.

I have been looking for another one for a long time, and finally it turned up on ebay, here in Tennessee (right in the tornado zone). I bought it, at the time of the tornado, for a great price (<$50 shipped). I was amazed that nobody else snagged it, and I certainly wasn't going to post it in Great Finds.

The unit was a little dirty on the outside but pristine and like new inside, Pine whites with doubleshot key caps! I can't get a shot of the PCB markings without removing the switches, which I am not going to do. Note the alternate stabilizer accommodations on the space bar.

Dear Mr. Fohat,

Congratulations on your find! I myself love pine whites.  Looking at my earlier comments, I was a bit naive... strange how things can change in just a few months.

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #6359 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:44:41 »
Forgot I never posted my board here, this thing took entirely too long to build:

Offline nevin

« Reply #6360 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:46:00 »
@monteyalps - looks great! what caps you planning on using?
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline monteyalps

« Reply #6361 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:55:07 »
@monteyalps - looks great! what caps you planning on using?

I had a typo in my op, fixed it. Caps are a nice doubleshot set from an MCK-101FT that I picked up years ago, by far the best feeling caps I've used.

Unfortunately the layout wasn't the same so I had to pick up a AT-101 to steal the Stepped caps, \, enter, and backspace off of. I'm currently looking for a better set to replace those keys that can rival the MCK-101FT keycaps.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6362 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 15:57:14 »
nice! i see the caps now
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline gnho

« Reply #6363 on: Thu, 12 March 2020, 22:16:36 »
Hi all-

Really enjoy seeing all these boards!!!

I have never tried Alps before and am wondering how I can get one. After some googling, it seems like blue, orange, salmon alps are most recommended, while people don't like the black ones as much.

Is there a board that's not too difficult to get or too expensive? If you're thinking about getting rid of a board that's actually decent for a beginner, please do not hesitate to message me.

Thanks!

Offline mode

« Reply #6364 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 01:47:18 »
Hi all-

Really enjoy seeing all these boards!!!

I have never tried Alps before and am wondering how I can get one. After some googling, it seems like blue, orange, salmon alps are most recommended, while people don't like the black ones as much.

Is there a board that's not too difficult to get or too expensive? If you're thinking about getting rid of a board that's actually decent for a beginner, please do not hesitate to message me.

Thanks!

An AEK1 or M0116. They all have salmon or orange alps which are excellent, and they're pretty easy to find and are not hideously expensive. Just make sure you get a clean one.

Offline gnho

« Reply #6365 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 04:39:13 »

An AEK1 or M0116. They all have salmon or orange alps which are excellent, and they're pretty easy to find and are not hideously expensive. Just make sure you get a clean one.

Thanks! I saw some M0116s on eBay that go around $100-$150. Got an offer of a 60% rebuilt with with linearized lubed dampened cream for $125 and one with orange but not case for $300. Getting it from eBay seems to make most sense but I'm also worried that I can't remap the keys. Should I jump on any of these or wait it out. Another option I see is Leading Edge DC-2014 for $280... If it's not difficult to resell it maybe that's what I should go for?

Offline nevin

« Reply #6366 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 07:38:11 »
@gnho - you can use hasu's adb to usb converter (or build one yourself) to reprogram the apple adb boards. hasu also has one for other protocols and soarer's converter is popular as well. easy way to convert to usb and custom keymap to test and play with a board without having to mess with any of the internals of a board.

Offline gnho

« Reply #6367 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 16:25:02 »
@gnho - you can use hasu's adb to usb converter (or build one yourself) to reprogram the apple adb boards. hasu also has one for other protocols and soarer's converter is popular as well. easy way to convert to usb and custom keymap to test and play with a board without having to mess with any of the internals of a board.

Thanks! This is very helpful! Now I finally have a map to explore ALPS world!!!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6368 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 17:31:49 »
no problem.
shy of some strange size/placement of keys on old apple boards, they are by far some of my favorites.
take a look at deskthority's wiki to identify specific models and what switches should be in them.

Offline uncleaner

« Reply #6369 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 22:55:30 »
Has anyone tried WD-40 PTFE dry lube before? I'm asking because even though it's a garbage scam "dry" (read: extremely waxy) lube that I almost washed off it's made my worn in salmon m0116 feel almost identical to my barely used one. It's still slightly rougher feeling but the binding, upstroke clicking, and heaviness are all gone without changing the sound.
I've had it on a test key for two weeks and the rest of the board for one without issues, but despite saying it's plastic safe it contains petroleum solvents and cyclohexane, which isn't filling me with confidence.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6370 on: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:26:49 »
i've used Dry PTFE Spray Lube (i only coated the stems) for an initial/partial test with decent results. this coming from using PTFE spray with machinery, bushings, bearings, moving parts and such for say... last 20+ years? and knowing the properties of the dry lube. i currently have a can from CRC.

the one i have does say liquified petroleum gas (but that's probably just the propellant) the main spray is an isopropyl alcohol base which is why it dies so fast.

i'd probably stay away from the common household brands and go for more of the industrial or less common brand. household brands seem to be a little "dummy proof" in my opinion. instead of an industrial brand that is adhering to more strict specs, makeup, MSDS, etc...

you don't have to use a dry lube on alps. it's just most alp switches are very old (even new old stock) and after a couple decades, the lube that the factory may have put in the switches has probably dried out. this seems to be a common misconception.
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2020, 23:35:45 by nevin »

Offline 4sStylZ

« Reply #6371 on: Thu, 19 March 2020, 03:57:15 »
I have tried this dry PTFE spray on white dampened sliders.

It was … useless after 2 days. At first it was a little bit better but not crazy, even with 2 applications.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline uncleaner

« Reply #6372 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 07:19:43 »
you don't have to use a dry lube on alps. it's just most alp switches are very old (even new old stock) and after a couple decades, the lube that the factory may have put in the switches has probably dried out. this seems to be a common misconception.
Yeah that's definitely my takeaway since the stuff I sprayed on looks like teflon in a really thick mineral oil or something and it works really well.
Also these worn in alps were almost immaculate (a deep clean barely did anything), and when I compared them to my good salmons the only visible damage was from the tactile leaf tearing up the side of the slider from years of use. So lubing just to prevent wear seems wise.
Anyone have suggestions? Anything's probably wiser than the oil refinery runoff I sprayed all over this thing at least.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6373 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 07:28:21 »
any of the common lubes is fine. (3203, 3204, 205g0, etc... plus, many alternatives)
- the consensus is not to use something too thick a lube on tactiles
- springs can be lubed as well to help reduce ping
- watch a couple videos as tutorials if needed

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #6374 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 08:01:24 »
I think Chyros' video summed up lubing SKCM/L ALPS the best, it's really not worth it. He did a video where he tried a bunch of different lubes & they all either worked very poorly, lost thier effect very quickly, or changed the keyfeel & sound drastically. It might be worth lubing really bad condition ALPS, but if they are in the 7/10 range & above I would avoid lubing them IME.

Offline mode

« Reply #6375 on: Sun, 22 March 2020, 08:21:28 »
Depends on the switch, his video focused on skcm orange. I can’t find a lube that works well on them either, but lube works great on skcm salmons as the slider is a completely different type of plastic.

Can’t figure out of a good lube for blues either.

Offline mode

« Reply #6376 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:11:32 »
I snapped up an apple M0110A

Anyone got any tips for reconditioning the SKCC tall creams in it? Same kinda treatment as SKCM, open and remove chow?

Will be my first linear board, not sure I'll use it properly, I just punted a lowball offer on it and won!

Offline nevin

« Reply #6377 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:16:42 »
watch Chyrosran22's exceptional (an through) Alps Restoration Guide.

... and congrats on the M0110A! :thumb:

Offline mode

« Reply #6378 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:17:55 »
watch Chyrosran22's exceptional (an through) Alps Restoration Guide.

That's for SKCM though, which I'm very familiar with cleaning up, SKCC are somewhat different.

Do they take the same size spring? I'd like to drop in some 50cN alps springs I have to lighten them up.

Offline nevin

« Reply #6379 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:32:22 »
i believe so. i have some loose of both. let me compare.

...yes, springs are same dimensions. sprit makes aftermarket alps springs in varying weights, or you could pull the springs from a lighter linear like SKCL greens (50~g). switch plates are also almost identical to complicated SKCL/M

also check out lowpoly's M0110 rebuild on deskthority.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 March 2020, 11:45:31 by nevin »

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #6380 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 12:11:30 »

Anyone got any tips for reconditioning the SKCC tall creams in it? Same kinda treatment as SKCM, open and remove chow?

Will be my first linear board, not sure I'll use it properly, I just punted a lowball offer on it and won!
If you can't do it with my procedure, you can still buy these NOS.

Note that the retainer tabs on SKCC are MUCH more fragile than on SKCL/M. Also, you'll need to desolder, as the switches are held to the plate top-side.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline mode

« Reply #6381 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 12:48:46 »

If you can't do it with my procedure, you can still buy these NOS.

Note that the retainer tabs on SKCC are MUCH more fragile than on SKCL/M. Also, you'll need to desolder, as the switches are held to the plate top-side.

So, hope it comes in good condition eh? It looked relatively clean.

If not I guess I’ll buy some spare switches for any casualties and take it apart :)

Offline nevin

« Reply #6382 on: Thu, 26 March 2020, 14:26:26 »
i bet SKCC would sound amazing in only an FR4 plate. the sound they make when loose is so much different than any other switch.

Offline mode

« Reply #6383 on: Sun, 29 March 2020, 05:54:39 »
Is anyone else now contemplating using all this time we have stuck at home tearing down and reconditioning all of their dirtier alps boards?

I have two AEK2 and an M0116 I've yet to strip back and clean, guess that'll keep me busy for a fair few evenings.

One of my AEK2 has pine SKCM cream and the switches don't feel at all bad, so I'm pondering undamping them and swapping in 45G springs, it'll be interesting to see how close this gets in keyfeel to my SKCM orange/salmon boards.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #6384 on: Mon, 30 March 2020, 03:59:52 »
It's funny, not that I have all this extra time I don't actual feel like doing anything with my boards. Once everything goes back to normal I'm sure I'll regret wasting all this time.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline mode

« Reply #6385 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 02:57:48 »
While fixing up one of my AEK II last night I did a little experiment, I took the switch top, spring, tactile leaf and slider from a loose SKCM salmon switch and swapped it over onto the AEK, replacing those parts in SKCM cream damped switches. I then did a 1/2 test against another AEK with normal salmon switches. They felt identical.

I'm considering doing this to a full board, the switch plates appear identical, the bottom housings are a tiny bit different, but I don't think it contributes to the feel at all, the two little nibs that the slider strike are wider in creams.

I've previously done a full switch swap from bamboo white to get an ISO AEKII with salmons which was a huge hassle but the resulting board is my best, so I have a perfect board to compare with. I bought a couple of hundred loose salmons so will do the rest of the board and see how a full swap compares to a "top swap".

I dunno if it'd work with bamboo switches, swapping slitless tops with slit tops.

Edit: Tried it with bamboo damped white, works exactly as well, the switch bottoms seem functionally the same, but the little nibs are even bigger still than pine damped creams.
« Last Edit: Sun, 12 April 2020, 03:37:14 by mode »

Offline nevin

« Reply #6386 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 11:23:36 »
good findings and notes. thanks @mode

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6387 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 12:42:24 »
While fixing up one of my AEK II last night I did a little experiment, I took the switch top, spring, tactile leaf and slider from a loose SKCM salmon switch and swapped it over onto the AEK, replacing those parts in SKCM cream damped switches. I then did a 1/2 test against another AEK with normal salmon switches. They felt identical.

I'm considering doing this to a full board, the switch plates appear identical, the bottom housings are a tiny bit different, but I don't think it contributes to the feel at all, the two little nibs that the slider strike are wider in creams.

I've previously done a full switch swap from bamboo white to get an ISO AEKII with salmons which was a huge hassle but the resulting board is my best, so I have a perfect board to compare with. I bought a couple of hundred loose salmons so will do the rest of the board and see how a full swap compares to a "top swap".

I dunno if it'd work with bamboo switches, swapping slitless tops with slit tops.

Edit: Tried it with bamboo damped white, works exactly as well, the switch bottoms seem functionally the same, but the little nibs are even bigger still than pine damped creams.

This is a good way to use your SKCM/L switches in different boards without have to desolder them. I've done the same with browns & oranges, that way I could use the browns in ALPS64 build & didn't have to mess with the Videowriter they came from. Bamboo & Pine housings will work interchangeably too like you said. The only possible restriction I can think of is if the 2nd gen switches with short switchplates top housings have anything that prevent a tall switchplate from fitting in it. I'll find out soon cause I got a Zenith 163-73 with SKCL yellows in it tomorrow or tues. I'll let you guys know!

Offline mode

« Reply #6388 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 13:38:12 »

This is a good way to use your SKCM/L switches in different boards without have to desolder them. I've done the same with browns & oranges, that way I could use the browns in ALPS64 build & didn't have to mess with the Videowriter they came from. Bamboo & Pine housings will work interchangeably too like you said. The only possible restriction I can think of is if the 2nd gen switches with short switchplates top housings have anything that prevent a tall switchplate from fitting in it. I'll find out soon cause I got a Zenith 163-73 with SKCL yellows in it tomorrow or tues. I'll let you guys know!

I think the only issue would be tall switch plates in short switchplate bottom housings, which you wouldn't do when avoiding soldering anyway. There are little risers on short switchplate bottoms which ensure the switch plate is all the way up the switch, I strongly suspect that swapping all but the plate and bottom will work just fine.

It's really handy when you most care about using the best switches with a normal layout for daily use.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6389 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 13:47:34 »
I saw a youtube comment about changing the top housing, the slider, and the leaf from a bamboo black to a better one. But then I read somewhere else that the switch plate also contributes to the key feel so doing so would not be as effective as desoldering + soldering in new switches.

Would the switch plate not add anything to the key feel at all? I always thought it would.

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6390 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 14:03:57 »

I think the only issue would be tall switch plates in short switchplate bottom housings, which you wouldn't do when avoiding soldering anyway. There are little risers on short switchplate bottoms which ensure the switch plate is all the way up the switch, I strongly suspect that swapping all but the plate and bottom will work just fine.

It's really handy when you most care about using the best switches with a normal layout for daily use.

Ok, good to hear! I wasn't sure if the top or bottom housing was adjusted when they moved to the short switchplates. With it being the bottom housings I should be just fine doing what I'm planning!

I saw a youtube comment about changing the top housing, the slider, and the leaf from a bamboo black to a better one. But then I read somewhere else that the switch plate also contributes to the key feel so doing so would not be as effective as desoldering + soldering in new switches.

Would the switch plate not add anything to the key feel at all? I always thought it would.

I'm pretty sure the switches plates are the same across all the variants with only the tall & short ones being different from one another. I could be wrong though & certain switchplates were made for certain variants, but IME the tactile & click leaves are most responsible for feel barring SKCL linears.

Offline The_Boom_Boy

« Reply #6391 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 14:12:03 »
It's funny, not that I have all this extra time I don't actual feel like doing anything with my boards. Once everything goes back to normal I'm sure I'll regret wasting all this time.

I feel this. I have a number of boards in need of building and they are sitting in boxes...  :-[

Offline mode

« Reply #6392 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 14:22:18 »

If there is a detectable difference it's so minuscule that I couldn't feel it and I'm convinced nobody else could in a double blind test.

Offline envyy24

« Reply #6393 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 15:43:58 »
Ah i see. Should have kept my bamboo black then i bought it nos, and then slapped white skcm in it or st. Damn lesson learned i guess, will try to get back into alps game if I can pick up some good one. Thanks guys

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6394 on: Sun, 12 April 2020, 15:50:49 »
Ah i see. Should have kept my bamboo black then i bought it nos, and then slapped white skcm in it or st. Damn lesson learned i guess, will try to get back into alps game if I can pick up some good one. Thanks guys

Oof, yeah those housings would been nice for swapping into! If it makes you feel any better I did basically the same thing, had near NOS AT101 I let go to a buddy cause it "just had black ALPS in it" before I thought of housing swapping to keep from desoldering. Anyways. NP & keep us updated if you grab any ALPS goodies!

Offline Rob27shred

« Reply #6395 on: Fri, 17 April 2020, 17:04:42 »
Show Image

IME, in a tray mounted build (without centered standoffs) I didn't notice any difference in feel in browns between an FR4 & alum. plate. However the FR4 plate does make the switches sound a bit more muted than on alum., for me that's a positive, not sure where your preference would lie.
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 May 2020, 11:00:55 by Rob27shred »

« Reply #6396 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 14:46:51 »
Anyone know how SKCM Blue tactility compares to SKCM Brown? From what I understand SKCM Brown are also heavier? I'm quite satisfied with SKCM Blue as far as weight and tactility goes, I don't think I would want more; ie the BKE Light Topre domes were incredibly fatiguing after even just few hours of use.

I have an opportunity to get an SKCM Brown board for a decent price, but some things have me a bit apprehensive. At the very least may be worth buying to part out the switches.

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #6397 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 14:55:03 »
Anyone know how SKCM Blue tactility compares to SKCM Brown? From what I understand SKCM Brown are also heavier? I'm quite satisfied with SKCM Blue as far as weight and tactility goes, I don't think I would want more; ie the BKE Light Topre domes were incredibly fatiguing after even just few hours of use.

I have an opportunity to get an SKCM Brown board for a decent price, but some things have me a bit apprehensive. At the very least may be worth buying to part out the switches.

They are very different, you'll have to try them yourself... they don't feel like any other switch. Fascinating things, they are. Tactility is drawn out over the course of the travel, so there's no "event", it is just in the feel of the switch itself. Hard to explain.

« Reply #6398 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:38:21 »

They are very different, you'll have to try them yourself... they don't feel like any other switch. Fascinating things, they are. Tactility is drawn out over the course of the travel, so there's no "event", it is just in the feel of the switch itself. Hard to explain.

This sounds like SKCM Orange to me- I've always felt like Oranges are a "heavy linear", I know that isn't quite accurate thing to say, but the bump is so long and drawn out with very little resistance at the very top. Does that sound like Browns (but they'd be heavier)? Not that any of this is meant as a bad thing, I really like Oranges.

You've pretty much convinced me to give it a go  :D

Offline mode

« Reply #6399 on: Mon, 27 April 2020, 15:43:52 »
I bought the case, PCB and plate of an ISO SGI Granite today, everybody wish my luck tracking down keycaps for it!

I've always wanted an ISO Granite, and I fully expect it to take a few years to put the thing back together. Guess I'll also need to find some blue ALPS too, not sure anything else would do as it'd be in part for my wife who was a long time SGI user and she loves clicky switches.