Author Topic: Anyone else really like typing on artisan/textured keycaps?  (Read 1375 times)

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
Anyone else really like typing on artisan/textured keycaps?
« on: Sun, 17 August 2014, 18:48:49 »
So I currently have several aluminum starcraft keycaps with raised textures, and I have some artisan caps (Hotkeys, gaskmask) and I really really enjoy typing on them on my Race S with MX Browns. I feel somewhat afraid that typing will eventually wear them down, but the texture response to my fingers feels really good and I can't get that on normal keys - whether they be PBT or ABS. Does anyone else feel the same way?

Also, aluminum keys make quite the satisfying sound on my keyboard and it increases my enjoyment. I used to have all those specialty caps on the F rows to minimize their use, but now I moved them to my number rows just so I could feel them more.

Or maybe I'm just a creep  :(
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Anyone else really like typing on artisan/textured keycaps?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 05:39:48 »
Not sure about some, but people have tried to destroy Clack Factory keycaps with various abrasive and chemical agents, but they are surprisingly resilient.

Most people tend to put their artisan keycaps on less-often used switches, usually along the top of the keyboard.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline JinDesu

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 06:57:54 »
Good to hear that Clacks are quite resistant. The tactile pleasure is making me really want to just fill my keyboard with artisan caps lol.
Someday somebody will best me, but it won't be today, and it won't be you.

Proud owner of a Filco Majestouch Cherry MX Blue Tenkeyless, KBT Race S, & Realforce 101

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 18 August 2014, 06:59:32 »
I actually got rid of my artisan caps because typing on them bothered me too much.  I still love them.  I think they're beautiful and many of them are really mini works of art.  But, yeah...cannot type on them, at all.  >:D