geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Anyone use BBEdit?

<< < (3/3)

iMav:

--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---BTW, Paul Graham is a famous lisp hacker. He uses vi.
--- End quote ---

touche!  :)

Admittedly, I have little experience with Emacs.  But all of my more prolific programming friends swear by it.

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: iMav ---
--- Quote from: Whiskey in the Jar-o ---BTW, Paul Graham is a famous lisp hacker. He uses vi.
--- End quote ---

touche!  :)

Admittedly, I have little experience with Emacs.  But all of my more prolific programming friends swear by it.
--- End quote ---

I think it's a matter of preference. At the start of the year I decided to learn a proper editor once and for all, and the following reasons swayed me:

1) vi is everywhere.
2) no need to heavily customize vi.
3) I prefer modes to chording. vi commands are very brief thanks to modes.
4) absolutely the ugliest fonts in emacs. No anti-aliased, true-type fonts available. I believe this has changed recently in Xemacs, but it's too late for me now. Bitstream Vera Sans Mono is the ultimate programming font for Linux.

iMav:
You definitely don't have to sell me on vi.  It's been my preferred text editor for over a decade.  (long time UNIX admin)

I actually found myself on a UNIX system one time that did NOT have vi.  The only editor available to be was ed.  That too is a mode-based editor...but I advise against using it.  (although if you are a UNIX admin, it is good to know the basic functionality so that you can use it in a pinch)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version