Author Topic: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%  (Read 167045 times)

Offline Defying

• (suffer on)
Re: The SmallFry KB, AKA jdcarpe loves 40%
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 22:07:49 »
My SmallFry Keyboard mini build guide.
Show Image

What you'll need:
  • Acrylic plates
  • PCB
  • (40) Plate mount switches
  • (40) 1N4148 diodes
  • Teensy 2.0
  • 300 ohm resister
  • Mini USB connector
  • 3mm LED
  • 6.25x stabilizer
  • Keycaps
Show Image

Solder all the components on the back starting from smallest to largest. First the diodes, then the USB connector, then the Teensy.
Show Image

Connect the Teensy to the PCB. The holes are labeled on the reverse side.
Show Image

Solder the 300 ohm resister to the designated spot on the front of the PCB.
Show Image

Install the stabilizer then mount four switches in the corners of the plate and solder them to the PCB.
Show Image

Install the remaining switches and solder them to the PCB.
Show Image

Install the caps lock indicator LED. Bridge the solder pads.

I still need to finish the wood layer. Build guide will continue when it is completed.
Looks great. This makes me really want one of these now.  :eek:

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
  • Cable maker and future engineer
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 08 September 2013, 22:14:48 »
looks good

do you have a picture with the keycaps on?

Yes, here is a few pics of the temporary case and the prototype wooden layer made from oak. The final will be made from mahogany.

It is straight from the CNC mill. No sanding or anything has been done yet.
HHKB Pro 2   SmallFry Keyboard

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #152 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 07:55:05 »
This is very awesome!! I don't know what I like more the fact that it's so tiny or the labels on the keys ;)

Are you still looking for blanks?

Offline pixel5

• pixel5
« Reply #153 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 09:33:07 »
I find this both hilarious and awesome at the same time.

We're all insane.
Poker II

Quickfire Rapid
BUY MY CRAP

Offline regack

« Reply #154 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:20:11 »
Ugh, I've been away so long...   I'm saddened to hear of SmallFry's passing but this is a nice remembrance!  I hope the PCB works out!   

jdcarpe, do you know how regack feels about open sourcing his pcb design? (ugh, we really do need this geekhack OS-DEVICE license written yesterday...)

Everything I built I learned from others that came before me, so I’m fine with others using this as a basis for something else, tearing it apart to learn, or improving upon it, as long as JDCarpe is as well.    After all, it’s his design, I just drew some lines.   

Funny thing is, when working on it, I never thought I could adjust to typing on something like this, but now that I see it being built, I want one too :D

Offline concept73

« Reply #155 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:22:04 »
I WANT ONE! ..............Please!
Poker 2 with reds
Soon to be a JD40 with reds

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #156 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:28:31 »
looks good

do you have a picture with the keycaps on?

Yes, here is a few pics of the temporary case and the prototype wooden layer made from oak. The final will be made from mahogany.
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

It is straight from the CNC mill. No sanding or anything has been done yet.

I like it way better with that acrylic case like that :D

Offline iAmAhab

• Established member
« Reply #157 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 11:33:32 »
This board seems kind of useless, but that does not stop me from wanting one badly.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #158 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 12:57:44 »
i want that
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline miko

« Reply #159 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 15:46:10 »
I want one too. I wonder, how much does a metal workshop charge for such a case? I'm not asking for a precise price, but for a estimation.

Offline OldDataHands

« Reply #160 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 19:07:20 »
Yes, the diodes aren't properly soldered. The problem is there aren't solder pads on the reverse side of the PCB so the solder will not stick/ flow through. Thanks for the help!
Word on the street says that if you didn't have enough
heat to make the solder flow into/through the via,
then you didn't have enough heat to get a good bond.
Is your iron hot enough?  Did you keep it on the joint
long enough to get the pad and via wet? (with molten
solder of course...)

I'd hate to see this wonderful project of yours plagued
with a bunch of cold solder joints == intermittent issues...

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #161 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 19:11:05 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I feel very privileged to be able to build the only two SmallFry keyboards.  :D

I want one too. I wonder, how much does a metal workshop charge for such a case? I'm not asking for a precise price, but for a estimation.

The plates for my case were like $40 shipped from Pololu.com

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #162 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 19:12:51 »
solder of course...)

My Hakko 936 was set at 400C the entire time and I held the tip to the solder points for a second or two before adding the solder. I think I'm doing everything right  :-[

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #163 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 19:51:04 »
Yes, the diodes aren't properly soldered. The problem is there aren't solder pads on the reverse side of the PCB so the solder will not stick/ flow through. Thanks for the help!
solder of course...)

Yeah, TheFlyingRaccoon didn't do anything wrong. The solder pads on the PCB are just slightly larger than the drill size, so there is very little there to hold any solder. That's actually went I sent these PCBs to him, because I was very frustrated trying to folder those diodes in, and he volunteered to have a go at it.

Using his technique, I was able to get another of the PCBs I had made filled with diodes.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline regack

« Reply #164 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:06:08 »
The solder pads on the PCB are just slightly larger than the drill size, so there is very little there to hold any solder.

sorry about that :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #165 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:13:53 »
The solder pads on the PCB are just slightly larger than the drill size, so there is very little there to hold any solder.

Not your fault, by any means. That's what prototypes are for, right? I really truly appreciate the work you put into my little project that allowed it to become a realty.

I don't know if you have time to make any modifications to the PCB, or if you would prefer to hand that of to someone else, but it seems there is some interest in seeing these made into production boards. That would most likely mean changing the controller to an onboard ATmega32U4 instead of the Teensy I specified, and diodes to SMT instead of thru hole. Also, I think people will want holes for PCB-mount switches and stabilizer, in case they prefer to build without a plate. Exactly what I had you remove from the early revisions. :D
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #166 on: Mon, 09 September 2013, 20:29:52 »

Not your fault, by any means. That's what prototypes are for, right? I really truly appreciate the work you put into my little project that allowed it to become a realty.

I don't know if you have time to make any modifications to the PCB, or if you would prefer to hand that of to someone else, but it seems there is some interest in seeing these made into production boards. That would most likely mean changing the controller to an onboard ATmega32U4 instead of the Teensy I specified, and diodes to SMT instead of thru hole. Also, I think people will want holes for PCB-mount switches and stabilizer, in case they prefer to build without a plate. Exactly what I had you remove from the early revisions. :D

All of those things would be amazing JD! That would fix every issue I had with the prototypes.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #167 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 00:41:24 »
I would definitely get one if it got into production, or even take a prototype.

Offline AGmurdercore

« Reply #168 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 05:31:59 »
Somebody mentioned GB for this and just for an IC i am in for it :O
What the hell am I even doing

Offline regack

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:11:34 »

All of those things would be amazing JD! That would fix every issue I had with the prototypes.

I'll have to see if I kept any of the earlier revisions, or what time I can put into it.  In the meantime if someone else wants to take it and run, that would be great.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #170 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:16:16 »

I'll have to see if I kept any of the earlier revisions, or what time I can put into it.  In the meantime if someone else wants to take it and run, that would be great.

If you can provide the files, I could give this a try. :D Found on your github, I hope that it is the latest version.

Offline regack

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 10 September 2013, 08:31:59 »

If you can provide the files, I could give this a try. :D Found on your github, I hope that it is the latest version.

That should be the files that jdcarpe and TheFlyingRaccoon are working from.  I don't think I made any changes after that point.  I had some earlier versions that included the holes for PCB-mount switches and stabilizers, and there may have been one that had SMT pads for the diodes.  I can look for those on my backup disks later today.

Offline miko

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 15:44:14 »
Thanks for the kind words everyone! I feel very privileged to be able to build the only two SmallFry keyboards.  :D

The plates for my case were like $40 shipped from Pololu.com

Ok, thanks for the info. But I'd be interested in a full metal case like the one jdcarpe posted in the op. I have never ever had something done by a metal workshop. I guess It's expensive. Just how expensive? Like 150$ or like 500$?

Offline regack

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 16:06:54 »
First pass... sooo many lines...  :-X

35065-0

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #174 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 16:11:12 »

(Attachment Link)

WOW  :eek: Looking awesome so far!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 16:15:06 »

(Attachment Link)

Hell yeah! I should rename this thread to the "Regack is Awesome" thread! :P

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #176 on: Wed, 11 September 2013, 22:01:56 »

(Attachment Link)

Great work regack. Now there is one less thing in my todo list :D

Offline regack

« Reply #177 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 15:34:35 »
I decided to rotate all of the switches so the LEDs are at the top (towards the number row, if there was one).  I based that decision on the observation that only the Poker/Pure seem to have the LEDs oriented the other way.  I'm sure there are others, but I know you can get replacement caps for Ducky... I've never found them for KBT.  Also fixed some spacing issues and added the text.  Still need to work on the ground zones.  If you can't read the text (I'm not sure about this KiCAD color scheme...), it says:

The SmallFry Keyboard
A 40% Design
in remembrance of Nate Walter
Special thanks to komar007, bpiphany, Dox and Regack

35214-0

So, I should note that I went a different route here than the board that jdcarpe is working from.  There were enough changes that I basically borrowed the schematic of the GH60 revB and reworked it into this layout.  So it should be simple enough to use the GH60 firmware, just eliminate a row and a couple of columns.  Almost all of the connections available on the GH60 are also on this board.  Everyone needs to thank Komar one more time :D

Does this board need mounting holes (there aren't any right now)?  Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Derisive Laughter?

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 15:57:40 by regack »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #178 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 15:49:19 »
Excellent work, and it is Nate Walter.

Offline regack

« Reply #179 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 15:53:06 »
Excellent work, and it is Nate Walter.

I need my eyes checked, thanks.

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #180 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 16:08:41 »
I decided to rotate all of the switches so the LEDs are at the top (towards the number row, if there was one).  I based that decision on the observation that only the Poker/Pure seem to have the LEDs oriented the other way.  I'm sure there are others, but I know you can get replacement caps for Ducky... I've never found them for KBT.  Also fixed some spacing issues and added the text.  Still need to work on the ground zones.  If you can't read the text (I'm not sure about this KiCAD color scheme...), it says:

The SmallFry Keyboard
A 40% Design
in remembrance of Nate Walter
Special thanks to komar007, bpiphany, Dox and Regack

(Attachment Link)

So, I should note that I went a different route here than the board that jdcarpe is working from.  There were enough changes that I basically borrowed the schematic of the GH60 revB and reworked it into this layout.  So it should be simple enough to use the GH60 firmware, just eliminate a row and a couple of columns.  Almost all of the connections available on the GH60 are also on this board.  Everyone needs to thank Komar one more time :D

Does this board need mounting holes (there aren't any right now)?  Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? Derisive Laughter?

This is amazing regack! Do you have a list of all the improvements from the original PCB?

Offline regack

« Reply #181 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 18:11:23 »

This is amazing regack! Do you have a list of all the improvements from the original PCB?

- atmega32U4 and all other SMT components are on the back of the board
- The LEDs are wired in a 4-row / 12-column matrix, with the rows/columns brought into pads for 1.27mm headers between the keys on the top row (between R&T, T&Y, Y&U, U&I).
- WASD Cluster, ESC and 'CAPS' (under the tab) LEDs are wired in to the atmega like the GH60
- 4 GPIO lines from the atmega broken out for 1.27mm headers between the I&O keys, also down at the bottom of the board under the spacebar
- also under the spacebar are the ISP pads
- holes for spacebar stabs
- holes for PCB mount switches

It's basically a GH40... Komar did all the work, I just spent some time tweaking his design to fit this profile  ;D

« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 19:04:23 by regack »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #182 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 19:05:20 »
Built my steel case version today. Showing of my prototype (PCB Rev 1.4). Now I just need to get some screws for it. :)

in memoriam

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #183 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 19:07:09 »
DAT STEEL, OMG

* CPTBadAss drools

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #184 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 21:29:26 »
That is really nice, sir!

Offline TheFlyingRaccoon

• HHKB Pro
  • * Maker
« Reply #185 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:15:25 »
I love it JD! How much did it cost to get the case cut?

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #186 on: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:36:48 »
Presenting the Pencil Case:
35245-0

2TU style case with slide on cover. Optionally you can have a case with a lip as well. All layers are 3mm. Bolts to be decided. Tenting method to be decided.

You may need one more spacer layer on the cover if you plan on using SA keycaps.
« Last Edit: Thu, 12 September 2013, 23:57:19 by MOZ »

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #187 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 01:16:52 »
Need some cable storage medium as well.

Offline KaLam1ty

« Reply #188 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 03:37:46 »
I can't believe this is actually becoming a thing. This is so outrageously awesome   :)).

Offline Neebio

• Dance Master
« Reply #189 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:12:29 »
Now I just need to get some screws for it. :)

These came up elsewhere at some point; you may want to consider using these:
http://www.jakob.ch/1279/metagroup=G39192
RK9000RE w/ Raindrop & DDR arrow keys
Cherry G80-11900LUMEU-2 w/ Red/Black SA keys

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #190 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:16:55 »

I'm not sure, really. I bought some other plates along with it, so I didn't get a cost breakdown from The_Beast.

I fear my screw holes are too small for those, but they look awesome! Thanks for the link. :)

in memoriam

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #191 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:26:42 »
Does this board need mounting holes (there aren't any right now)?

Well, now mounting holes might be nice. Maybe you can use some of the same relative positions as the GH60 uses. Obviously not all of them will fit. :)

in memoriam

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 11:56:40 »

I'm not sure, really. I bought some other plates along with it, so I didn't get a cost breakdown from The_Beast.

I fear my screw holes are too small for those, but they look awesome! Thanks for the link. :)

Was posted by me somewhere...
But in the meantime I found a cheaper and easier to get alternative, Bookscrews!  :cool:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/30-Schraubnieten-nickel-glanzend-5MM-/320900098813?pt=Alte_Berufe&hash=item4ab722eafd

Offline regack

« Reply #193 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 15:35:51 »

Well, now mounting holes might be nice. Maybe you can use some of the same relative positions as the GH60 uses. Obviously not all of them will fit. :)

So it seems only 2 of the mounting holes that match would be useful.  Others are off the board entirely, because the 60% is so much larger :D.  Between the B & N, and on the left board-edge vertically between CTRL and SHIFT.  The one between TAB & A will probably be too difficult to access, it's probably 30-40% under the 'A' switch body.   Given the size of the board, I just added one under the ENTER key.  I guess that should work ok?

35292-0

Because I must be coo coo for cocoa puffs, I also tossed together this alternative board which uses my teensy-on-a-daughterboard and THEORETICALLY offers full individual LED support with a MAX7219 (also on a separate daughterboard).  Those boards under the main PCB add something like 8mm to the overall thickness. 

35294-1

I might try to add the MAX directly to the other design, but I haven't been able to get it to work outside of an Arduino sketch, so, it's kind of unproven.   When running Teensyduino it works great, you can make neat running LED patterns, slow-glow the LEDs, etc... but then I don't have a keyboard... so uhh... anyone who knows more than me want to take a stab at making the Teensy talk SPI to the MAX? 

I'd love to get that working, because I have 3 other projects I'd like to use it with :D

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #194 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:00:01 »

So it seems only 2 of the mounting holes that match would be useful.  Others are off the board entirely, because the 60% is so much larger :D.  Between the B & N, and on the left board-edge vertically between CTRL and SHIFT.  The one between TAB & A will probably be too difficult to access, it's probably 30-40% under the 'A' switch body.   Given the size of the board, I just added one under the ENTER key.  I guess that should work ok?

(Attachment Link)

Because I must be coo coo for cocoa puffs, I also tossed together this alternative board which uses my teensy-on-a-daughterboard and THEORETICALLY offers full individual LED support with a MAX7219 (also on a separate daughterboard).  Those boards under the main PCB add something like 8mm to the overall thickness. 

(Attachment Link)

I might try to add the MAX directly to the other design, but I haven't been able to get it to work outside of an Arduino sketch, so, it's kind of unproven.   When running Teensyduino it works great, you can make neat running LED patterns, slow-glow the LEDs, etc... but then I don't have a keyboard... so uhh... anyone who knows more than me want to take a stab at making the Teensy talk SPI to the MAX? 

I'd love to get that working, because I have 3 other projects I'd like to use it with :D

Nice! Using my crap-tastic MS Paint skillz, I moved a couple of the holes. I don't know if the hole between Tab & A would work, as you stated, unless you were able to move those traces and center the hole there.

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #195 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:18:21 »
I'm super stoked for this.

What is the PCB size currently?

Almost done with my "Pencil Case" rev2 case, which has support for tenting as well.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #196 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 16:23:19 »

Almost done with my "Pencil Case" rev2 case, which has support for tenting as well.

9 inches x 3 inches

or

228.6mm x 76.5mm

in memoriam

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #197 on: Fri, 13 September 2013, 22:30:54 »

9 inches x 3 inches

or

228.6mm x 76.5mm
Thank you sir. :)

Offline regack

« Reply #198 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 07:18:29 »

Nice! Using my crap-tastic MS Paint skillz, I moved a couple of the holes. I don't know if the hole between Tab & A would work, as you stated, unless you were able to move those traces and center the hole there.

Yes, I should move it over, or leave it, and add another one nearby?  I just brought in the GH60/poker/pure mount points to see where they would land.  I'm debating in my head if I should leave the ones that match, but add a couple of more in different spots specific to this board.

Offline MOZ

• KING OF THE NEWBIES
  • * Maker
  • Busy making stuff
« Reply #199 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 08:32:45 »
Maybe I can't see it, but what is the point of keeping the GH60 mounts points? The PCB is much too small to fit the Poker in any case.

If you do want to make it somewhat compatible, then keep the mount points so that the 40% PCB centers on the GH60 PCB?