Author Topic: Recommendations for small hands?  (Read 12942 times)

Offline Charlotte_Corday

Recommendations for small hands?
« on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 05:35:20 »
As the title says, I am trying to pick an ergo board that will be comfortable for my tiny hands! I will be using it primarily for typing and coding, but maybe also some gaming (I'm too lazy to get out a different keyboard).

I am currently using a TKL Filco keyboard with silent red switches, which has a traditional staggered layout. I loved my current board when I bought it a few years ago, and it has withstood a lot of daily use for work, but I have now been tempted by the benefits of ergonomic layouts and programmability.

Weird layouts and multiple layers for different purposes are ok - I am a pianist so very happy to learn new key layouts etc.

I would ideally prefer the following features, but I'm open to suggestions that don't meet these:
  • Orthogonal
  • Split
  • Easily programmable
  • Small enough to not take up my entire desk!
  • Available either pre-assembled or hot swap PCB (I'm not really interested in getting into soldering)

Offline nevin

Re: Recommendations for small hands?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 09:26:12 »
being hotswap does limit the choices
- corne
- lily 58 pro
- keeb.io iris (not hotswap but really worth a look)
- some ergodox variants - hotdox, ergodox-ez, moonlander, etc...

also check http://xahlee.info/kbd/ergonomic_keyboards_index.html
great resource
specifically the diy section: http://xahlee.info/kbd/diy_keyboards_index.html
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 09:28:48 by nevin »
Keeb.io Viterbi, Apple m0110, Apple m0120, Apple m0110a, Apple 658-4081, Apple M1242, Apple AEK II, MK96, GH60/Pure, Cherry g84-4100, Adesso AKP-220B, Magicforce 68

Offline xudongz

• Personal Site
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 00:11:27 »
I'm of the opinion that smaller keyboards aren't necessarily better for smaller hands (though I'm slightly biased as someone that sells ErgoDox keyboards). One reason I personally prefer a larger keyboard such as the ErgoDox is that you have the option of using more keys if you wanted to. Especially if you're looking at getting your first ergonomic keyboard, it may not be immediately obvious which keys are comfortable and which are not (and what is comfortable can vary between people). It's much easier to change the keymap and not use certain keys than to have a keyboard that doesn't have enough keys.
SliceMK | ErgoDox Wireless group buy round 2 running until November 16, 2021

Offline Charlotte_Corday

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 03:42:38 »
Thanks both - I have had a look at the suggestions and decided to pick up a second-hand Iris, which solves the build problem! I'll report back on how it goes. It's cheap enough that I can learn from this one and spend a little more on one that is a better fit for my preferences down the line.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 15 February 2021, 04:27:12 »
If you have small hands then perhaps one that has Kailh Choc switches and its keycaps with smaller-than-standard key spacing would be suitable.

I think Corne-ish Zen could have been what you are after, but the interest check has ended.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 22 February 2021, 15:49:13 »
If you can do an octave as a pianist, then your hands arn't small such that a different size computer keyboard will make a difference in reach.

HOWEVER, a Split board, like ERGODOX @ 70* degrees of tenting will make a WORLD of difference.

Offline wolverine92

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 23 February 2021, 19:18:06 »
Lily58 if you want a number row. Corne if you don't.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Offline gh_pp

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 15 May 2021, 17:58:52 »
There's a similar discussion here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112176.0

I recommend a split spacebar keyboard :)
QFR brown x2, Realforce 45G, Type-S, Keycool 22 blue

Previous keyboards: 55G, IBM Model M, Dell AT101W, Fujitsu FKB4725, G80-3000 clear, QFS green, QFS blue

[WTB] Custom keyboard build

Offline sypl

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 May 2021, 21:00:17 »
Almost all keyboards have standard spacing, as you've already discovered. I would suggest if it's your pinky that's giving you problems because of reaching for CTRL (otherwise known as Emacs pinky), try learning to mush ctrl with the fleshy outer part of your palm (hypothenar region, apparently). It's just a quick rotation of your hand and minimal pressure, your hands will thank you for it.