geekhack Community > Keyboards

Inconsistency with R2 Realforce?

(1/6) > >>

directheatedtriode:
I had an older 55g Realforce a few years ago but I can't recall too much about the switch feel, just that I sold it in favor of the HHKB layout. But since getting into customs/older ANSI boards I'm finding myself coming back to TKL. I just got a 55g R2 and the keys feel pretty stiff and a few keys feel stiffer than others, like the V key feeling a bit stiffer than others, or a rather heavy spacebar. And the F key feels lighter. Page up/down feel much lighter and snappier.

Just wondering if there are some quality control issues with these? Haven't read anything Topre related for quite some time.

Edit: I figured out the spacebar, there is a spring over the slider?

rxc92:
Almost everyone seems to like the new spacebar design better fwiw. Are you sure you didn’t buy the variable model by accident? Otherwise give it a few days to break in the domes a bit, they do feel different when new.

Polymer:
There is some variance with the domes...at least with the original RFs there was..+/- 5g although I haven't seen one for myself that had say both 40g and 50g....Plenty of boards I've seen with more than a 5g difference between two different keys..

R2s I don't know if they are still impacted by this..but I don't know if there is anything to make me believe the domes are any different..

directheatedtriode:

--- Quote from: Polymer on Tue, 26 November 2019, 01:31:10 ---There is some variance with the domes...at least with the original RFs there was..+/- 5g although I haven't seen one for myself that had say both 40g and 50g....Plenty of boards I've seen with more than a 5g difference between two different keys..

R2s I don't know if they are still impacted by this..but I don't know if there is anything to make me believe the domes are any different..

--- End quote ---

Definitely 55g uniform, and I verified it with the model number. Posting from my phone right now so I can't post the exact model number here.

Is putting US 5c nickel coins on the keys an accurate way to measure the weighting?

And is possible to open an R2 without removing the "Do No Remove OK" sticker on the back of it (which has a screw underneath)? The old 87u was just held in place by clips and didn't have this screw.

After having some time to type on it the V key I mentioned does feel only slightly more heavy than the rest of the alphas.

Sup:
I never felt a difference between the keys on my R1 Realforce 45 and 55G. My Topre HHKB Pro 1 feels consistent all around the board though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version