Author Topic: I’m a total idiot  (Read 2034 times)

Offline wonderp

I’m a total idiot
« on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 01:40:01 »
Hello!

I’m new to this site and I want to make one thing clear- most of the time I haven’t the faintest idea of what I’m talking about, so take it with a grain of salt. With that out of the way, listen to my tale of woe!

A year ago, I made a terrible choice. I bought a Razer keyboard. It’s a good keyboard. But it has no charm, no personality, and even in terms of utilitarian boards it just does not perform the way I’d image a $150 board would.

The most insulting thing about it is, the first YouTube video I came across after plugging it in was a review of the NK65 Entry Edition, with witch you could build a custom board for around $180-200. Those aware readers might have noticed that 200>150, but for an extra fifty bucks you’re getting a better looking, better sounding, and even better feeling board if you build it right. Not to mention, the keyboard isn’t a commercial product, it’s something you made.

Unfortunately, I really can’t justify buying another keyboard, because technically there is nothing wrong with my keyboard other than that it is suffering from being too decent and mediocre.

I joined geekhack to share my grievances with other like-minded people and to answer enough of my questions to the point where hopefully I’ll be confident enough to build a keyboard.
I bought a Razer keyboard and I regret my purchase with every word I type. That’s twenty three regrets just for this signature.

Offline yui

Re: I’m a total idiot
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 03:04:15 »
you could always try to sell your razer on, and there are other custom kits that cost less, depending on what you want. although the NK68 NE is not always available and other editions can be a bit more expensive, just as a heads up, they seem to rotate the editions around, or it was like that 2 years ago it seems, not that knowledgeable about NK_ given that i am a European and so shipping makes their products completely noncompetitive.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 10:16:48 »
You can easily change the look with a custom set of key caps - https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-p-industrial-keyset-sublimated/

And O-rings are good for modifying the feel (I recommend small thin ones) on some or all of the keys - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5413

Just for starters. And when you upgrade boards, you can easily remove and keep these custom components and put them on the new keyboard provided that it has the same style of switches.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline wonderp

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 June 2021, 21:41:37 »
You can easily change the look with a custom set of key caps - https://pimpmykeyboard.com/sa-p-industrial-keyset-sublimated/

And O-rings are good for modifying the feel (I recommend small thin ones) on some or all of the keys - https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=5413

Just for starters. And when you upgrade boards, you can easily remove and keep these custom components and put them on the new keyboard provided that it has the same style of switches.

Yeah the main problem is is that it has some terrible sort of hybrid-mount stabs that are just horrifyingly rattley and make me cringe. Its whatever. Also, i do have a set of keycaps coming in the mail XD.
I bought a Razer keyboard and I regret my purchase with every word I type. That’s twenty three regrets just for this signature.