Author Topic: Do German Space Saver Model Ms exist?  (Read 1547 times)

Offline sebk

Do German Space Saver Model Ms exist?
« on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:07:07 »
I'm coming out of the woods. Hello Geekhack :)

I've recently started getting into mechanical keyboards and managed to get two German Model Ms, one with original packaging, which made me ridiculously happy. I've now started looking for a Space Saver version to add to my collection (and use as primary KB) but aside from the fact that they are very expensive, I've only ever seen them on ebay.com (not UK or DE). Do space savers even exist in Europe?

Trying to buy a space saver from the US and gambling on the delivery has been a serious deterrent for me thus far, so I thought I'd ask the experts on here.

Cheers

Seb

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Do German Space Saver Model Ms exist?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:13:19 »
If you take the inner layers apart, when doing a bolt-mod, you can move springs to achieve the layout you desire.

From there, you would simply need to find the appropriate key caps.

The parts are all the same inside, and the circuit boards are designed to accommodate various configurations.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nilpt

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 20 April 2014, 15:16:28 »
Hi.
Unicomp made at least one SSK in DE layout.
Check it out: http://www.clickykeyboards.com/index.cfm/fa/items.main/parentcat/9242/subcatid/0/id/183757
AFAIK it is a rare specimen.
Most ISO are bolt mods made on an ANSI board.
IBM 1391410 / Qume terminal keyboard (teensy 2++)

Offline sebk

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 06:20:50 »
The only difference would be the key caps. The only problem is that even with the US layout Space Savers don't seem to be around in Europe...

Thanks for the tips. I guess I'll keep looking or maybe go for another visit to the US to by computer hardware :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 06:41:12 »

The only problem is that even with the US layout Space Savers don't seem to be around in Europe...

Isn't there one in England listed in the Classifieds now?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline nilpt

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:09:55 »
I can see at least one in UK, check http://deskthority.net/marketplace-f11/ibm-ssk-ergodox-with-reds-t7464.html.
Guess it is the same keyboard in geekhack classifieds:

The only problem is that even with the US layout Space Savers don't seem to be around in Europe...

Isn't there one in England listed in the Classifieds now?
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:14:47 by nilpt »

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:15:32 »
I'm also from germany and collect SSKs since some time... I saw german ones on pics, but never saw one for sale within the last two years or so.

So go for an ansi one and mod it. dreamingftw currently has one for 190$. maybe he ships international.

I currently use a mix of german and ansi us keycaps on my primary ssk.

Offline nilpt

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:17:54 »
Are yours modded to ISO, snoopy?

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:19:31 »
Are yours modded to ISO, snoopy?

no, but I'm planning to do it for one or two of them.

/edit:

that's my current primary ssk. mix of the original ansi keycaps and some german ones from unicomp

61818-0
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 April 2014, 13:26:31 by snoopy »