Author Topic: The infamous Filco ping?  (Read 31309 times)

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 12:13:02 »
Wait, how can TNT Economy Express cost more and take longer? I'd probably avoid Royal Fail, though :)

Might want to ask keyboardco directly about that.

As for import duty, since you're purchasing from another EU member state, I'd imagine that there won't be further charges above what keyboardco state on the page, but I can't say with any certainty.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 12:23:09 »
The Filco ping is NOT limited to Filco. My Leopold pings too.

]]]][[[[[[[[[]]]\\pppll-000--=pp[][po. In that zone. Just like a Filco.
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #52 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 12:28:16 »
Hm the down arrow key pings on my Realforce. Too quiet to hear unless you go looking for it. Maybe I annoyed it when swapping in the lavender WASD keys :) Looks like I may have some (not POM, the other one ... R ... P ... something) shrinkage from one of the keys as it doesn't sit straight, but it's not down arrow that does that (it's left arrow, but I reversed left and right arrow for fun).

Not a meloding either, more a sort of scratchy, grainy ping that I got on my FILCO's numpad enter key for a while.

Still, nothing pings like an Acer or a Fukka!
Bore Awards

Offline dean0

The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 10 April 2012, 13:40:11 »
Using the Filco Majestouch (Brown S) for a little over a week now and have not noticed this 'ping' noise, and is considerably quieter than my old Razer Blackwidow (Blue S). I have some dampeners and DS on the way so this should further reduce noise if I bottom out the keys, hopefully...

Offline Lucifer

The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 04:56:51 »
Quote from: Daniel Beardsmore;572495
Wait, how can TNT Economy Express cost more and take longer? I'd probably avoid Royal Fail, though :)

Might want to ask keyboardco directly about that.

As for import duty, since you're purchasing from another EU member state, I'd imagine that there won't be further charges above what keyboardco state on the page, but I can't say with any certainty.

Where? and who I should ask about that?

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 11 April 2012, 05:16:13 »
I would suggest that you contact the Keyboard Company directly. Details are on their website. They don't bite.
Bore Awards

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
Re: The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 09:52:55 »
For those interested, I got a filco camo tkl with browns. It is working perfectly, no ping no problem at all. It's so good that I got a second filco for the job, same keyboard but ninja version instead of camo, still tkl and browns. This one was a mess. When I started to type on the ninja, I felt something was wrong. It was probably way more obvious because I also have a camo. The problem with my ninja is that ALL the keys ping. It is even way louder on the bigger keys. It is so loud and annoying that I even FEEL it when I type. The feeling aint that strong, but it's enough to remove some of the pleasure and precision that I can feel on my camo.

I also felt a difference when typing with the ninja VS the camo. I have the feeling that the camo has "thicker" keycaps and so feels more sturdy. But it could be an impression caused by the pings/vibration problem on my ninja. If someone else used both a camo and ninja version with browns, I would like to know if you felt a difference between both when typing.

Anyway it's now on the RMA process. If all goes well, I should be able to get a camo instead. Looks strange in an office, but I kinda get used to this look at home and in fact find it nice. Anyway, #1 criteria for a keyboard is the typing experience, the look is quite secondary (even if we all want a badass looking keyboard)
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #57 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 00:13:59 »
Filco ping don't exist.
Doubly so for the MJ2.
AFAIK it was basically a smear campaign...
keyboards!

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 07:52:51 »
I'm back on my Majestouch 1 with browns at the moment, and after using a Realforce for a while, upon moving back to the Filco I definitely noticed the ping, and it was almost too annoying to bear. Now I don't notice it at all (except if I'm listening out for it).

I don't know whether I simply got used to it, or whether environmental conditions changed.
Bore Awards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #59 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:03:23 »
Filco ping don't exist.
Doubly so for the MJ2.

THE PING exists.. It is heard on the UPSTROKE of the key. When the key returns to default position, it knocks against the top housing, vibrating the center spring, CAUSING PING..

Press down ANY cherry mx switch put your ears next to it, and LET GO upwards, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, you will hear the definitive PINGGGGG.....

NOW, under normal circumstances with PC noise, and other ambiances, the ping noice is very subtle and can only be heard with ears RIGHT NEXT to the key..

EVERY KEY PINGS,, it is not isolated to any keyboard, or burnt switch.

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #60 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:06:10 »
However, there is a worse issue, of an actual very audible ringing, which was reported by several users, nearly all from plate-mounted mx brown boards. It is not limited to Filco though, nor does it affect ALL plate mounted mx brown boards.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:07:15 »
However, there is a worse issue, of an actual very audible ringing, which was reported by several users, nearly all from plate-mounted mx brown boards. It is not limited to Filco though, nor does it affect ALL plate mounted mx brown boards.

Ringing and PING is the SAME THING.

To hear Ringing, You usually need to turn off all the ambient noise... Turn off your PC, and press down a bunch of mx-switches and super fast lift up your whole hand, you'll hear RINGING.

You still have to keep your ears pretty close to the keyboard...

So, when you lift your hands DON"T punch yourself in the face.. I've done this... :eek:

Offline keyboardlover

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:10:34 »
That's 100% not true. The ringing issue is very audible, even from afar, even with ambient noise. It's a completely different issue.

Trust me, I've heard the difference.

Offline tsangan

• ★★★
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
  • 1000/600
The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #63 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:11:52 »
summer of ping has been extended!
Keyboardless

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #64 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:17:24 »
That's 100% not true. The ringing issue is very audible, even from afar, even with ambient noise. It's a completely different issue.

delusional.....

Unless you can come up with a doctors note that PROVES you were bitten by a gamma radiation mutated bat.

Offline JPG

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:21:31 »

Well, from the little experience I had with this issue, whatever you call it ping or ringing, mine was VERY loud. I bottom out a lot, and I like it, so the keyboard already makes some noise, and this "extra vibrating/resonnating sound" was audible and not pleasant at all.

By the way, anyone know if the is a keycap thinkness difference between the filco ninja and the filco camo?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #66 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:26:22 »

Well, from the little experience I had with this issue, whatever you call it ping or ringing, mine was VERY loud. I bottom out a lot, and I like it, so the keyboard already makes some noise, and this "extra vibrating/resonnating sound" was audible and not pleasant at all.

By the way, anyone know if the is a keycap thinkness difference between the filco ninja and the filco camo?

you're saying the Plate makes a noise? How hard are you hitting this thing. put mouse pad under it, does it make the same sound.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:30:17 »
Ping occurs both when you strike the key, and on release. It's more noticeable on release, and I think it's maybe 20% louder on release, but the ping is there in both directions.
Bore Awards

Offline JPG

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:37:30 »

you're saying the Plate makes a noise? How hard are you hitting this thing. put mouse pad under it, does it make the same sound.

It's hard to describe with words. When I did a comparison with my camo at home (no noise), I was going gently and heard it when I bottom out AND on the upstroke. It was like a spring was resonating on the plate or something like that. It was audible on every key, and louder on some of the bigger keys (less on the spacebar and capslock and less on the left side keys). When typing with "normal" strenght (for me), the sound was loud enough so I would ear it mixed with the sound from bottoming out. Not louder than the sound from bottoming out, but still enough that I could ear it. I also kida "felt" the vibration, so it was annoying. I must also mention that since I got my Filco, I probably started to type "harder" on it just because the feeling and sound is so great when I bottom out (on my camo).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #69 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 08:41:16 »
Ping occurs both when you strike the key, and on release. It's more noticeable on release, and I think it's maybe 20% louder on release, but the ping is there in both directions.

Ok, I hear it, but it is not NEARLY as loud as on release.. at least 3x as loud on release.

Offline keyboardlover

Re: Re: The infamous Filco ping?
« Reply #70 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 12:54:17 »

delusional.....

Unless you can come up with a doctors note that PROVES you were bitten by a gamma radiation mutated bat.

Ripster? Is that YOU??

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 13:09:41 »
I have pinging red and blue switches too. Even PCB mount.

Offline Soarer

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 13:50:00 »
Oh dear god not this **** again :(

On the one side there are people who have had a keyboard with a ringing issue, and know that it's an issue, because they've known keyboards without it (often the same make or even model). They know that ring isn't the same as ping.

On the other there are people saying it's not an issue, essentially because they can't hear it on their perfectly normal keyboards. In their ignorance, they assume that ring is the same as ping.

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #73 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:20:53 »
I still have yet to experience this... I've had like 3 Filcos
I love Elzy

Offline spolia optima

« Reply #74 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 04:19:38 »
Filco ping don't exist.
Doubly so for the MJ2.

THE PING exists.. It is heard on the UPSTROKE of the key. When the key returns to default position, it knocks against the top housing, vibrating the center spring, CAUSING PING..

Press down ANY cherry mx switch put your ears next to it, and LET GO upwards, AS FAST AS YOU CAN, you will hear the definitive PINGGGGG.....

NOW, under normal circumstances with PC noise, and other ambiances, the ping noice is very subtle and can only be heard with ears RIGHT NEXT to the key..

Wow... You're pretty stupid, huh?
keyboards!

Offline paco

« Reply #75 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:22:49 »
That is just great.
Bought a Filco TKL MX Brown from NCIX.ca.

The whole thing pings. :( It is especially obvious when I am done typing something. I can hear the "duuunnn".

Typing on the arrow keys is even worst.

What a piece of junk.

Do you think NCIX would take it back as defective or do I have to try to fix it myself?

So pissed....

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #76 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:47:03 »
That is just great.

The whole thing pings. :( It is especially obvious when I am done typing something. I can hear the "duuunnn".

What a piece of junk.

Do you think NCIX would take it back as defective or do I have to try to fix it myself?

So pissed....

I put shelf liner underneath the pcb. made it really solid and removed the ping.

Offline SSIPAK

• * Maker
  • ★ Bootlegcaps ★
« Reply #77 on: Sat, 05 April 2014, 16:52:16 »
Never had any problems with my Filco after all these years.

Offline paco

« Reply #78 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 07:59:16 »
That is just great.

What a piece of junk.

So pissed....

I put shelf liner underneath the pcb. made it really solid and removed the ping.

Thanks for that tip.

I watched a video that explains how to open the keyboard and reach under the PCB. There is a sticker over the middle screw located under the keyboard. It is written "DO NOT REMOVE", but not "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED".

I fear if I remove that sticker and start trying to apply shelf liner that the warranty will then be nulled and I won't be able to return it to NCIX.ca.

But... on the other hand, would NCIX.ca consider pinging of the keyboard as a defect?

Do I have better than normal hearing or am I just being (once again) unlucky with my purchase? The pinging is not subtle at all IMO.

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #79 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 08:13:41 »
Quote from: dante;559668
I know Bulgaria from listening to Mira Aroyo in the band Ladytron.  Shes a smoking hot Bulgarian.

She also has a PhD in molecular genetics from Oxford.

Ah yes, but in Bulgaria there are no jobs for anyone with PhDs. That's the problem.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #80 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 09:08:15 »
That is just great.

What a piece of junk.

So pissed....

Thanks for that tip.

I watched a video that explains how to open the keyboard and reach under the PCB. There is a sticker over the middle screw located under the keyboard. It is written "DO NOT REMOVE", but not "WARRANTY VOID IF REMOVED".

I fear if I remove that sticker and start trying to apply shelf liner that the warranty will then be nulled and I won't be able to return it to NCIX.ca.

But... on the other hand, would NCIX.ca consider pinging of the keyboard as a defect?

Do I have better than normal hearing or am I just being (once again) unlucky with my purchase? The pinging is not subtle at all IMO.

I don't think so, i honestly think it's just a con of owning some filcos. Honestly man, open that sucker up and put the shelf liner in. My keyboard feels like a dream now, and it feels like it's worth so much more than what I paid.

Offline paco

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:30:18 »
That is just great.

What a piece of junk.

So pissed....

Thanks for that tip.

I don't think so, i honestly think it's just a con of owning some filcos. Honestly man, open that sucker up and put the shelf liner in. My keyboard feels like a dream now, and it feels like it's worth so much more than what I paid.

I installed a shelf liner under the PCB. It didn't change a thing. My keyboard still pings as much as before.

Any other idea?

Thanks.

Offline phoenix1234

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 06 April 2014, 18:48:49 »
I installed a shelf liner under the PCB. It didn't change a thing. My keyboard still pings as much as before.
Any other idea?
Thanks.

Well, I think the infamous ping came from the springs. It is the root of all little-evil-infamous and time-consuming discussion. If a shelf-liner doesn't work, you need to change shelf-liner. In an extreme case, you still need to lube the springs with high viscosity oil like Victorinox oil.

Nevertheless, you can always ignore the ping and forget its existence, you will never hear it again.  :))
I like linear switches

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 07 April 2014, 01:33:50 »
That is just great.

What a piece of junk.

So pissed....

Thanks for that tip.

Kevin may I ask what kind of shelf liner you used? Googling brings up many shelf liner products and they don't seem to be always the same kind of material.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #84 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 22:32:54 »
That is just great.

What a piece of junk.

So pissed....

Thanks for that tip.

Kevin may I ask what kind of shelf liner you used? Googling brings up many shelf liner products and they don't seem to be always the same kind of material.

I used one from a dollar store around here, don't really remember the brand :/

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 09 April 2014, 22:40:50 »
it doesnt matter

just put as much as you can into it

Offline Wonko73

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 06:19:49 »
Hi,

I've got a Filco TKL Blue and a Minila Blue Switch: Especially the Minila does the ping quite loud. So I decided to open it (damn torx!) and I had to see: The ping is somewhere in the PCB itself. Even with my hand on the plate it did the sound, so there seems to be no chance to stop it.

The strange thing: Putting it back into case and putting it "close to the wooden hand rest", it became quieter?! I don't know why - however - it is a Filco and I love it, so I'm going to live with this issue.
Filco TKL MX Blue | Filco TKP brown | HHKB2 Type S | Realforce 23U

Offline Battou62

« Reply #87 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:32:30 »
I have a Filco Ninja w/ MX Blacks. It does not ping at all.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:38:10 »
Pffft. Filco ping... it's NOTHING compared to Model M ping!
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline korrelate

• iubeo stultum esse libenter
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 21 April 2014, 08:51:11 »
Filco ping don't exist.
Doubly so for the MJ2.

^^^ this times 1000.

afaik tp is spot on: it exists and he has identified the cause. not isolated to filco either: rosewill is just as susceptible. only thing that helped my filco was pulling the switches and lubing everything, particularly the springs.

Topre REALFORCE