Author Topic: [IC] GMK Fuji  (Read 82987 times)

Offline Lufenia

Re: [IC] GMK Fuji
« Reply #50 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 14:22:52 »
A pink R1 novelty esc would be nice

Offline kidpid

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 14:54:15 »
The 40s kit definitely took a step in the wrong direction from what was shown on Discord. I think the 40s support should be revisited. If you need some suggestions, then the 40% Discord is happy to help with kitting.

Offline Upstart5

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 14:58:31 »
RIP 40s support. The kitting you had in the discord rendering was awesome. Curious why it was removed.

Offline MidnightSnek

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:48:19 »
Why katakana??????? Why are you slapping on katakana to something that is a Japanese icon??????? Katakana is meant to be used for objects that are foreign from the country, not to mention that it looks abysmal compared to the curves of Latin letters. Please for the love of god consider hiragana instead of katakana if you really want to pay homage to the country and/or the mountain.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 February 2021, 15:58:14 by MidnightSnek »

Offline TheBlackHammer

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:15:13 »
RIP 40s support. The kitting you had in the discord rendering was awesome. Curious why it was removed.
This exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline totalemon

• good morning :)
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:24:11 »
In for the novs and deskmat, but this feels like it needs a pink novelty ESC, and maybe some more variety in the designs for the arrows? Basically what CookieFlow said, and I think it's a bit ridiculous that there's no Fuji novelty in any of these sets. For a set called GMK Fuji, it's not a great look to have to buy a $60 artisan for a design the set was based on. Please reconsider  :)

Offline shellfours

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:26:57 »
I like the shade of pastel pink for the accents.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:39:25 »
Re: 40s - got nothing against 40s, but was just a situation where we weren't confident in a kit like that reaching MOQ for this set. I have heard your thoughts about the kitting as it stands and am open to edits - I do urge you to fill out the form as it is there for a reason  :D

Should I include more support in the Addition kit, 1.75u backspace and 1.50u enter are certainly on my mind.

Definitely hearing a lot of the requests for a Mt. Fuji novelty as well as a pink R1 novelty too, so those are under consideration.

Anyway, thanks for the support today too. I'll probably have a couple minor kit changes here and there over the coming days.
Hoarder Collector and designer

Classifieds

Offline LXVRGS

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 16:42:05 »
so were still doing this whole cutting mod tilde thing eh?

Offline Nathan_

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 17:53:02 »
Finallyyyyyyyyyy! looks great Tom, glwic

Offline wirex

« Reply #60 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 19:20:39 »
Why katakana??????? Why are you slapping on katakana to something that is a Japanese icon??????? Katakana is meant to be used for objects that are foreign from the country, not to mention that it looks abysmal compared to the curves of Latin letters. Please for the love of god consider hiragana instead of katakana if you really want to pay homage to the country and/or the mountain.

I agree! Hiragana sublegends look a lot nicer and traditional Japanese imo.

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 20:02:58 »
It didn't cross my mind when I saw the IC this morning, but I will agree with the people mentioning Hiraganas.
Hiraganas should be the logical choice considering it is based on a Japanese area and not a foreign theme.

And just aesthetically the rounder shape of Hiraganas imo is more suited for the theme and colors.

:thumb:

Offline finalarcadia

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 20:03:10 »
I'd like to see how the dark grey on pink looks, I suspect it'll be better than white.

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 20:09:46 »
I'd like to see how the dark grey on pink looks, I suspect it'll be better than white.

When I started working on the set it was meant to be how you described, but when I looked at comparisons between the two it was clear that the white worked a whole lot better (also fwiw it's a dark shade of blue). I don't plan to change the colours at all.

Classifieds

Offline kidpid

« Reply #64 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 20:36:22 »
I like the Katakana. I have too many Hiragana sets already. Latin letters look fine with both.

I'll get back to you on 40s.

Offline forever9to5

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 21:08:38 »
This is beautiful! Definitely will be getting in on this one.

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 06 February 2021, 22:24:51 »
Just caught up on the 40s discord about the kitting... not having minivan support is definitely disappointing.  Anyways, gl w/ the GB!

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #67 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 06:36:20 »
Just caught up on the 40s discord about the kitting... not having minivan support is definitely disappointing.  Anyways, gl w/ the GB!

Actually those two keys will likely be in the next kit revision.

Classifieds

Offline mr_fro2000

« Reply #68 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 07:39:24 »
That's great to hear!  I actually just found out like an hr ago that there's all this silly nerd drama over the minivan layout (i'm just a simple consumer here...).  So in hindsight thank you for having a civil discussion in the 40s discord about the kitting!   

Offline BuildingKeys

• Soon the construction of the Key shall be complete
« Reply #69 on: Sun, 07 February 2021, 14:11:58 »
Wow the paper deskmat is a must buy for me. It looks incredible! Nice work

Offline LostInWonderland

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 00:20:43 »
Excited for this, didn't expect the GB to be so soon after the annoucement.

It looks very pretty but I would have never guessed it's based on Mt.Fuji (or it's surrounding landscape) when I look at this set.
Not really sure where the grey comes from.

Being a Fuji set I would have expected to see Mt.Fuji somewhere on a novelty at the very least (Maybe that's where the Rama will come in).

I really like the set, and the deskmats are especially gorgeous.
But I expect more from the Novelties like: Pink Novelty ESC, Pink Spacebar with Mt.Fuji design for example and maybe some stylized Pink arrows instead of just Pink arrows.

I also would never guess it's based on Fuji. I think other colors would have been much better for representing Fuji itself. I also agree that with naming the set after an iconic Japanese mountain, hiragana would have been the better choice for sub legends. The only people who would want katakana on this set are those who already have several hiragana sets. Otherwise, there's no justification for it. I was hyped when I saw a kit coming for Fuji, I love the mountain and I thought it would be an absolute must buy for me. However, with this set I just gotta hope another one comes around that will better represent the mountain itself...
GL with the GB

Offline infu

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 00:51:27 »
A pink R1 novelty esc would be nice

This. There should be at least one R1 pink novelty since most people will probably use the accent color for Esc especially when the only novelty enter keys are in the accent color. Also agree with people on the hiragana sublegends.

Overall love the colors and looks like a promising set. GLWIC

Offline zoo

• zoo
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 00:58:24 »
i like this. A LOTTTT

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #73 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:22:54 »
Thanks for all the feedback. We have an R1 sakura novelty which will be in the next kit update, along with a couple other changes.

So, as for sublegends: I started work on this set in September last year at which point the existing hiragana moulds irked me a lot, however these will be improved with Serika 2 (see here for differences: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109505.msg2978430#msg2978430). I do have some gripes with the public katakana moulds being made for Mecha-01, so changing the sublegends is actually a direction I may be interested in going. I've made a form for you to vote for your favourite, and so changing will be considered depending on results.

https://forms.gle/VzENiHCeVDXgSaxG6

Classifieds

Offline vladimir108

« Reply #74 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 07:43:43 »
Hello, in thread "GMK Beta" was published update of basic Latin/Hiragana GMK keycaps from Zambumon:
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=108290.msg3009840#msg3009840
Zambumon_GMK_Hiragana_Latin_RFC.pdf  https://geekhack.org/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=108290.0;attach=261369

Offline Reebes

« Reply #75 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 08:42:40 »
Wow! I’m new here but Tom seems to mean business, posting ic a month before fb goes live.
Set looks beautiful. Definitely in my top 3 for March rn.... gf might get mad if I pickup more than one though.... hmm

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 08:55:29 »
Thanks for all the feedback. We have an R1 sakura novelty which will be in the next kit update, along with a couple other changes.

So, as for sublegends: I started work on this set in September last year at which point the existing hiragana moulds irked me a lot, however these will be improved with Serika 2 (see here for differences: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=109505.msg2978430#msg2978430). I do have some gripes with the public katakana moulds being made for Mecha-01, so changing the sublegends is actually a direction I may be interested in going. I've made a form for you to vote for your favourite, and so changing will be considered depending on results.

https://forms.gle/VzENiHCeVDXgSaxG6

Thank you very much for considering the Hiraganas.
I sincerely hope they make it, as I feel it would be really sad if a Mt.Fuji set, one of the most iconic place in Japan (if not the most) uses Katakanas which is only used for foreign names.

I hope people voting can take this into consideration and not make their vote based on if they already own too many sets with Hiraganas.  :thumb:

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 09:18:36 »
Beautiful colorway.  Definitely interested in this moving to GB some day  :thumb:

Offline Tyson

« Reply #78 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 09:20:29 »
Beautiful colorway.  Definitely interested in this moving to GB some day  :thumb:

The GB is happening next month lol

Offline smackyp

« Reply #79 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 14:23:56 »
Those deskmats are amazing. Good god.

Offline Delo

« Reply #80 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 15:47:59 »
I'm definitely down for this set, looking good!

Offline Space_Case88

• keebs, anime, video games and coffee
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 18:40:33 »
holy deskmats, batman!

Offline Sandy

• Formerly cogitoergofemme
  • Sandy - Peach Tray Maker
    • the peach · studio
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 20:22:26 »
This set is soooooo cute it's like if an eboy was a keycap set I freaking love it!
🍑C11🍑KWA.6🍑GPK60 47-GR1RE🍑Vast60🍑Rose60🍑EHKB🍑Viktus Sinne🍑Boop65🍑Jelly60 Pro🍑Fuji65🍑Ginkgo 65🍑S7.7🍑Treasure Type-9 II🍑Thermal R2🍑Jelly 60🍑

Offline azzipa

« Reply #83 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 20:50:58 »
cute name. cute set. match made in heaven.

This set is soooooo cute it's like if an eboy was a keycap set I freaking love it!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 22:09:52 »

The GB is happening next month lol

Ooh the old 20 day IC trick with vendors already in place!  Well, guess I’ll set money aside for March. Not sure why we call these interest checks.  Maybe we need a new “pre release notice” category? Maybe the vendors have to see how many they want to commit to based on feedback to establish pricing?  No complaints from this guy though.  Kits suit me and the colors are an instant classic. 
« Last Edit: Mon, 08 February 2021, 22:13:18 by pixelpusher »

Offline DuellM

• Keyboard Fatty
« Reply #85 on: Mon, 08 February 2021, 22:37:02 »
Any chance for a alice style render with pink spacebars  ^-^

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #86 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 00:01:19 »
First: I saw your comment on 1.75 control and I get the point with the icon mods.

But I still disagree, there are probably more people out there than just me that prefer to use the right key instead of a wrong one with an icon.
The HHKB layout is very common probably half of all 60% users or so use it and even with other layouts it is pretty common to use R3 control.

To use an HHKB with R3 control you would have to buy 2 Kits here and while prices are not finalized I think it is predictable to pay over 150$ for Base and Addition.
Just to (correctly) cover the 60 keys of HHKB... I dont know, not a fan of that.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 00:23:16 »
NE mod colored tilde avail?

Offline VXQN

« Reply #88 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 03:49:58 »
Ooh the old 20 day IC trick with vendors already in place!  Well, guess I’ll set money aside for March. Not sure why we call these interest checks.  Maybe we need a new “pre release notice” category? Maybe the vendors have to see how many they want to commit to based on feedback to establish pricing?  No complaints from this guy though.  Kits suit me and the colors are an instant classic.

I really agree with this idea for a new category. People get absolutely shat on when they propose an early idea here, when really they are staying true to the name of the forum — checking general interest before moving on with development. Perhaps we need two new subforums and to rename this subforum: "interest checks" "design refinement" "pre-release" or something to that effect?

Offline azzipa

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 07:48:18 »
Getting a bit off-topic? Might be helpful to start a new thread instead of hijacking an IC (or whatever you want to call it)

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 16:38:05 »
Hope you’ve all been having a good day. Made some kit changes (and they’ve been updated in the OP).

Katakana base kit:
- sublegends changed slightly - biip has kindly given permission to use his katakana moulds for this project (see: GMK Honor, GMK Bushido, GMK Bentō R2)
- added R3 1.75 Control

Latin base kit:
- added R3 1.75 Control

Addition kit:
- added R2 1.75 Backspace
- added R3 1.50 Enter
- added R3 1.75 stepped Control
- removed R3 1.75 Control

Novelties kit:
- added R1 1.00 sakura novelty

International kit:
- R1 ´` tertiary legend changed from ¦ to |

Sakura kit:
- removed 1.00 spacebars

More announcements to be made soon.

Classifieds

Offline kidpid

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 19:26:59 »
I think the 40s support could still use some help. Notable missing keys include a 1u R2 Esc, a 1u R2 Tab, a 1u R4 Raise and Lower keys, and 1-2 1u R3 Shift keys.

I think you would be okay to remove one or both 3u spacebars. I also think that the 1u R1 Backspace key would fit better in base. Also, does there need to be an alpha-colored 6u spacebar in there, or is the pink 6u bar in the sakura kit good enough?

I would definitely prefer that the addition kit be changed to a 40s kit, and the actual addition keys be moved into base (assuming they don't affect base price all that much). However, I'm definitely biased here as a 40s user, and I would love to hear the opinion of those that are interested in the bob-40s keys in the addition kit.

Offline TjarleN

« Reply #92 on: Tue, 09 February 2021, 23:29:46 »
Thanks for adding R3 Control

Offline nicksmizzle

« Reply #93 on: Thu, 11 February 2021, 19:08:53 »
this is it, everything looks good for my use cases

Offline CookieFlow

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 13:02:04 »
Hope you’ve all been having a good day. Made some kit changes (and they’ve been updated in the OP).

Katakana base kit:
- sublegends changed slightly - biip has kindly given permission to use his katakana moulds for this project (see: GMK Honor, GMK Bushido, GMK Bentō R2)

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I assume this means the Katakanas are staying.
If that is the case, would you consider a Hiragana only kit? (similar to what Hanami Dango did for example, so just Hiraganas as the only legend).
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 February 2021, 15:53:45 by CookieFlow »

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 12 February 2021, 18:11:39 »

Katakana base kit:

Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but I assume this means the Katakanas are staying.
If that is the case, would you consider a Hiragana only kit? (similar to what Hanami Dango did for example, so just Hiraganas as the only legend).

Katakanas are indeed staying. Won't be doing a Hiragana only kit here, sorry.

Classifieds

Offline manzel

« Reply #96 on: Sat, 13 February 2021, 15:29:34 »
Still no mod tilde...

Offline ttom

• Formerly tvaro
« Reply #97 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 10:15:46 »
Hope you're all well. Happy to finally be able to show you all something that's been in the works for a little bit now:

RAMA WORKS x GMK Fuji

Anodised aluminium with enamel infill. All colours will be matched to the approved GMK samples. Both icons designed by my talented friend Sour.

Mount:

Pagoda:

Classifieds

Offline Afresh

« Reply #98 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 10:27:14 »
ttom, the longer I look at your set, the more I love it  :thumb:

great job!

Offline Biskwit157

« Reply #99 on: Sun, 14 February 2021, 12:12:11 »
Hope you're all well. Happy to finally be able to show you all something that's been in the works for a little bit now:

RAMA WORKS x GMK Fuji

Anodised aluminium with enamel infill. All colours will be matched to the approved GMK samples. Both icons designed by my talented friend Sour.

Mount:

Show Image

Show Image

Pagoda:

Show Image

Show Image

Amazing job