Author Topic: Synth Labs 065 - A Seamless Gasket Mount 65%  (Read 5485 times)

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
Synth Labs 065 - A Seamless Gasket Mount 65%
« on: Thu, 19 January 2023, 06:35:02 »
Synth Labs 065

E-White 065 w/ SLK Dessau Light

Please fill out this Google survey if you are interested in this keyboard.

Follow

Overview

Price: TBD, estimated $350-400 USD
Typing Angle:
Front Height: 20mm from the table with feet
Supported Layouts: KLE
Plate:
  • 1.5mm with flex cuts, or 5mm solid plate
  • Available in aluminum or polycarbonate
PCB:
  • Fixed-layout ANSI hotswap PCB
  • 1.2mm Thickness
  • RP2040 MCU
  • Designed by 0xCB
  • Soldered PCB - maybe... Fill out IC if you'd like this
Firmware: QMK with VIA support
Compatible Switches: MX-style switches
Materials:
  • Standard Edition: Aluminum 6063 main chassis with raw brass weight
  • Special edition: Stainless Steel with raw brass weight
  • Gaskets: TBD - Will be experimenting with several types of silicone and PORON in the prototype
Weight: ~1-1.1kg unbuilt (case only)
Included Accessories: Planning on including a custom form-fit zipper case

Description

The Synth Labs 065 is a 65% keyboard featuring a completely seamless exterior.

It features a unique gasket-mounting system in which four standoffs are used to mount the top gaskets, which allows the eliminates the need for a separate top and bottom chassis, as well as an internal weight, so that the exterior has a unibody-like appearance with no exterior gaps.

E-White 065 w/ GMK Astral Light

With a relatively thin design, the interior is also routed to form-fit components on the PCB, which allows the keyboard to maintain more mass despite the slim profile.

The Chassis and Weight, all other components removed

The bottom foot also allows light to pass through from inside the case, and can function as an RGB underglow lightbar (toggleable through VIA).

Anodized Grey 065 w/ SLK Dessau Dark

Inspiration

More
The Synth Labs 065 was designed alongside the SLK keycap profile, and was made to compliment it, sharing many common design elements. I wanted to make something that feels at-home with the minimalist aesthetics of the SLK profile, but also had enough unique elements to stand out and be memorable.

It also takes inspiration from the U.S.S. Enterprise from Star Trek (the 2009 reboot), in which the silhouette is composed of a few simple, highly functional geometric shapes, brought together by smooth sweeping curves.

ai03's Lunar II keyboard was also particularly influential for this design - it also features a zero-seam design with a one-piece chassis. While this sort of construction was more common in much older case designs, I thought it's interesting to see a more modern build use it and really lean into it's advantages. I thought this was incredibly elegant, but kind of basic in terms of functionality, and I believed I could improve on this idea. I thought of several ways to incorporate a gasket-mount system to this design instead of the tray-mount on the Lunar II.

I also like to make sure the weights feel uniquely suited to the design of the rest of the board. I try to avoid relying on engravings or 2D designs to make the weight visually interesting. I opted for a smaller internal weight instead of something like the large external weight on the Lunar II to compliment the seamless appearance. While this internal weight won't actually be visible past assembly, I felt that a unique shape reminiscent of the exterior makes this weight feel like it embodies the spirit of the design.

The Bias TKL keyboard was also a big inspiration for the interior design of the 065. It was the first keyboard I've seen to feature a channelled out interior that form fits components on the PCB, which is such a simple and effective way to preserve more material while maintaining a low height. I implemented this with flat non-angled channels, which even though doesn't look as interesting aesthetically, seems more friendly for hotswap sockets and the inclusion of case foams.

Timeline

Pre-IC:
More
As some of you may know from Instagram, I've been working on this keyboard design for quite a long time actually - since late 2020. The exterior design took pretty much it's final shape in early 2021, but the interior has had many dramatic reworks since then.

This keyboard design has been on the shelf unannounced for quite some time for two reasons:
- Other projects going on
- Not feeling confident about the previous interior designs

However, with the Synth Labs Solo macropad project now complete, and the revisions made to this keyboard's interior, I feel finally ready to present it on Geekhack.

The keyboard has actually been prototyped once before as a true unibody tray-mount design.

It looked stunning, but felt a bit lackluster in terms of sound and feel. To improve this, I've made many changes - most notably the pillar-mounted gasket system, the channeled interior floor, and the addition of the internal weight. Not all of these ideas came to me at once - I figured them out in the order I listed one at a time, and each one entailed a major rework.

Currently, I'm requesting manufacturing quotes to do a second run of prototypes with the current reworked design.

My other projects like SLK Dessau and the 060 keyboard will take complete priority over this project, but I'm working on this one during the downtime when I'm just waiting for things that are out of my hands.

We're also in the process of redesigning the PCB which currently uses the ATmega32U4 MCU, to use the more powerful RP2040 MCU.

The RP2040 MCU rework is done. We are now also designing a soldered PCB variant of the PCB which has a few more layout options, but no per-key RGB (still will have the underglow RGB strip though)

Options (Non-final)

Chassis

E-White Aluminum

Anodized Gray Aluminum

Mirror-Polished Stainless Steel (Special Edition)

Plate

1.5mm Aluminum w/ Flex Cuts - Anodized Black

1.5mm Polycarbonate w/ Flex Cuts - Frosted Clear

5mm Solid Aluminum - Anodized Black

5mm Solid Polycarbonate - Frosted Clear

If you have other color/option requests, please mention it in the IC form.

Supported Layouts:

Hotswap PCB w/ per-key RGB Layout

Universal Soldered PCB Layout

Assembly

Exploded View

Sales Plan

More details TBD
« Last Edit: Fri, 12 May 2023, 23:03:36 by Nostril »

Offline JackPikatea

Re: Synth Labs 065 - A Seamless Gasket Mount 65%
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 January 2023, 09:36:36 »
I like the Unibody design. It's basically tray mount with some sort of isolation right? Does it mount to the PCB or the plate?

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 20 January 2023, 01:12:54 »
I like the Unibody design. It's basically tray mount with some sort of isolation right? Does it mount to the PCB or the plate?

Thanks! Yeah it's pretty similar, it mounts to the plate, which has a bit of a 3d aspect where the gaskets can clamp onto, so that everything remains flush.

« Last Edit: Fri, 20 January 2023, 01:56:37 by Nostril »

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 22 January 2023, 15:41:14 »
No ISO support?
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline Nostril

• Synth Labs
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 24 January 2023, 00:39:58 »
No ISO support?

Not planning on supporting it with the fixed hotswap PCB. However, I'm considering adding a soldered PCB with more layouts - one of the things I'm trying to gauge through the Interest Form.

Due the mounting method using up space between some of the larger keys, it's a bit difficult to find ways to add in some of these layouts. I'll absolutely look into these more deeply if there's a clear demand for a given layout though. If you have time, I'd really appreciate if you'd fill out the Interest Form noting the request for ISO, and would like to know how important that is for you.

Offline ylothar

• Yo Ho Ho!
    • KEEB.it
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 25 January 2023, 06:56:00 »
Due the mounting method using up space between some of the larger keys, it's a bit difficult to find ways to add in some of these layouts. I'll absolutely look into these more deeply if there's a clear demand for a given layout though. If you have time, I'd really appreciate if you'd fill out the Interest Form noting the request for ISO, and would like to know how important that is for you.

Thank you for your reply, very kind!
I filled out the form as you suggested: ISO users are used to having PCB support to be soldered, I think this could be a solution that can satisfy many.
«How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?»

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 28 January 2023, 17:03:42 »
Yezz finally!. Been waiting for this board since I saw the renders of SLK Dessau.