Author Topic: Recommendations for ideal work keyboard  (Read 3891 times)

Offline jcoffin1981

Recommendations for ideal work keyboard
« on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 21:53:58 »
I share 6 other workstations at work. They are all rubber dome Logitech or Microsoft keyboards.  3 of them are particularly lousy- very stiff, mushy, and require a fair amount of force on the bottom to actuate.  One of them you need to hit the keys in the dead center or the keys wont press.  Three of them are new and satisfactory, actually fairly pleasurable to type on.

I do a LOT of typing at work, and not only do these slow me down considerably, but they cause me fatigue and pain.  I brought in a KBP mechanical board, a 60% and it was hated. After a day it was disconnected and shoved in a closet.  I'm looking to replace 1 or 2 with a mechanical keyboard.  I'm considering the Leopold FC980M.  For a stock board it's probably the most bang for your buck and the nicest to type on, but for 2 it is still $220 bucks or something. 

Does anyone have any recommendations for a board to purchase?  I has to be full size with PBT caps and preferably brown switches.  It also has to be suitable for an office and not have pandas and rainbows and crazy lights n' **** it on it.  I would consider a Cherry clone, but if I'm worried it may not be up to par.  I've had mixed opinions about Gateron
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Leopold FC660M- my new favorite, right out of the box.

Offline jamster

Re: Recommendations for ideal work keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 22:16:07 »
Get an unpopulated board (GMMK and turn off the lights?) and slap any of the factory silenced switches into them, they are all vastly quieter than unsilenced switches. Kailh box silent browns are some that I have tried.

> I would consider a Cherry clone

Most the recent switches I've tried, I have liked vastly more than anything stock Cherry. These days, one of my key requirements for an MX style board would be that it does not come with Cherry switches.

Edit: Silenced switches I've recently tried are Aliaz, Outemu Silent Sky/Forest, Kailh Silent Brown. All were similar with noise level. Kailh had the most understated tactile event, but still seemed more pronounced than Cherry Brown (on the upside- not at all scratchy like my old Cherry Brown switches)
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 22:23:41 by jamster »

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:31:19 »
Knowing what switches were in the KBP would help, switches are pretty much the most important thing.

While I like Jamsters idea, I don't like hot swap for long term use but you can always turn off the lights or make them more subtle.

Clones are no longer clones.
They may have started that way but these days they are innovating a ton of new things and their quality is every bit as good, if not better. That said, your price is an issue, $220 for TWO quality full size boards is I'm sorry to say, going to be hard to beat if you want quality switches, full size and pbt caps. Switches make up a large percentage of the cost of a keyboard and you can spent $100 on quality switches alone for a single full size so what does that leave for the rest of it?

I'm not saying it's impossible but you already got burned trying to go cheap. These are boards that will last years or decades, you're penny pinching the one computer part that will outlast everything connected to it. Not to mention the thing you spend all day interacting with.
« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2020, 23:32:54 by Leslieann »
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Avi_

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 01:33:12 »
Leopold keyboards are great. They come only with Cherry switches (and Topre). Retooled Cherry switches are actually fine. Keyboard enthusiasts like to brag about how much they hate Cherry, don't listen, try it yourself and make your own choice.

I can also highly recommend Durgod K310. It's excellent and unmatched for the price.

Offline jamster

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 01:51:21 »
I think that I misread the original post. I was under the impression that the problem with the board was that it was hated by your coworkers for the noise it generated, but the reason it was shoved into a closet was because you didn't like the keyboard? Because of they layout, because of the feel of the switches, or both?

And noise was not a problem?

In that case, you can skip anything I wrote about silenced switches or unpopulated keyboards. It all boils down into what you're looking for in terms of switches.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 01:54:52 »
Retooled Cherry switches are actually fine. Keyboard enthusiasts like to brag about how much they hate Cherry, don't listen, try it yourself and make your own choice.

Newer Cherry is supposedly fine (I haven't tried any) but they did this to themselves by taking so long to retool, they knew things were in bad shape for a long time. Pretty sure they knew they were over charging as well.

Regardless, I don't think it's fair anymore to bash alternate brands as clones, some are better, some are worse, but there's too much innovation in it now to call them clones anymore. We've had more switch innovation in the last 5-10 years than the 20 that preceded it and it's alternate brands that are responsible for it.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline jamster

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 02:06:21 »
Regardless of whether Cherry has addressed their decades-long issue with their degrading moulds producing rough sliders, there isn't a single MX that I would choose to use. They go from too light (reds, blues, browns) all of a sudden to too heavy (clears, blacks, greys). Their clicky switches sound high pitched and tinny to someone who is accustomed to buckling spring.

I did recently try an MX Brown in a tester that didn't feel terrible, and I was suprised- maybe they have fixed one of their problems. But it was only a single switch in a tester, hard to generalise from. And it doesns't address the other problems in their lineup.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 21:11:08 by jamster »

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 12:25:02 »
Leopold is great . but only uses Cherry switches .. . .  I don't like new cherry things.

If you want something really good you can get some Topre.  Topre is good for me to type all day.

treeleaf ~~~ ~~~~

treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline cheesy_jones

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 13:16:27 »
There are so many alternatives to Cherry-branded switches out there, much more interesting clones. I have a board with Kailh browns in it and I like it quite a bit. But the usual caveats apply: the switch is marketed as somewhere in between a tactile and a linear switch so they can try to sell to both typists and gamers, but it really skews toward linear. And as with the Cherry browns, you can barely, barely feel the tactile bump.

My advice: spend the money on Matias Quiet Pro. You'll probably be happier in the long run, even at $150 apiece.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 13:25:25 by cheesy_jones »

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 15:42:07 »
I think that I misread the original post. I was under the impression that the problem with the board was that it was hated by your coworkers for the noise it generated, but the reason it was shoved into a closet was because you didn't like the keyboard? Because of they layout, because of the feel of the switches, or both?

In that case, you can skip anything I wrote about silenced switches or unpopulated keyboards. It all boils down into what you're looking for in terms of switches.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The board was hated because of the profile.   It was a 60% board.  The KBP had Gateron browns and ABS caps.  It's like an $80 dollar board. 
KPB V60 Gateron Browns and Leopold Keycaps.  Poker 3 with Gateron Browns and Poker keycaps.  Poker 3 with Cherry MX Browns, ABS keycaps and white LED's.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 20:16:01 »
If you liked the KBP other than the form factor, get the Leopolds (also look at Ducky).
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 12:09:30 »
Retooled Cherry switches are actually fine. Keyboard enthusiasts like to brag about how much they hate Cherry, don't listen, try it yourself and make your own choice.

Newer Cherry is supposedly fine (I haven't tried any) but they did this to themselves by taking so long to retool, they knew things were in bad shape for a long time. Pretty sure they knew they were over charging as well.

Regardless, I don't think it's fair anymore to bash alternate brands as clones, some are better, some are worse, but there's too much innovation in it now to call them clones anymore. We've had more switch innovation in the last 5-10 years than the 20 that preceded it and it's alternate brands that are responsible for it.

Agreed. I can't stand most things that are MX anymore. I don't think there's any bragging involved. I think it is most common for people to abandon Cherry more commonly than literally any other predilection that eventually forms down the road, so it is just a cautionary tale from those who have already made that journey. I know some people stick with Cherry regardless ... but I can't imagine that that's very common. Switch testers are a godsend.

Regardless of whether Cherry has addressed their decades-long issue with their degrading moulds producing rough sliders, there isn't a single MX that I would choose to use. They go from too light (reds, blues, browns) all of a sudden to too heavy (clears, blacks, greys). Their clicky switches sound high pitched and tinny to someone who is accustomed to buckling spring.

I did recently try an MX Brown in a tester that didn't feel terrible, and I was suprised- maybe they have fixed one of their problems. But it was only a single switch in a tester, hard to generalise from. And it doesns't address the other problems in their lineup.

The only Cherry switch I have ever tried that I feel can actually compete with other switches in its category is clears ... and MAYBE silent reds (my sample size of one seems very smooth to me for some reason). Literally everything else is so far behind alternatives that there's no reason to consider them if you don't already own them. All opinion, of course.

Leopold is great . but only uses Cherry switches .. . .  I don't like new cherry things.

If you want something really good you can get some Topre.  Topre is good for me to type all day.

treeleaf ~~~ ~~~~

I do imagine Topre is a strong contender for anyone who likes tactiles.

There are so many alternatives to Cherry-branded switches out there, much more interesting clones. I have a board with Kailh browns in it and I like it quite a bit. But the usual caveats apply: the switch is marketed as somewhere in between a tactile and a linear switch so they can try to sell to both typists and gamers, but it really skews toward linear. And as with the Cherry browns, you can barely, barely feel the tactile bump.

My advice: spend the money on Matias Quiet Pro. You'll probably be happier in the long run, even at $150 apiece.

Those do feel pretty good when smooth, and are very, very quiet.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. The board was hated because of the profile.   It was a 60% board.  The KBP had Gateron browns and ABS caps.  It's like an $80 dollar board. 

Did you prefer the Gateron browns to MX? Or are those amongst those you say that you've had mixed opinions on? They're the smoothest stock relatively OEM/retail/available clone MX brown switch I have ever personally tried. I know I would personally take them all day every day over their MX sibbling.  Again, though, I'm not really a tactile person.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:47:30 »

Agreed. I can't stand most things that are MX anymore. I don't think there's any bragging involved. I think it is most common for people to abandon Cherry more commonly than literally any other predilection that eventually forms down the road, so it is just a cautionary tale from those who have already made that journey. I know some people stick with Cherry regardless ... but I can't imagine that that's very common. Switch testers are a godsend.

The only Cherry switch I have ever tried that I feel can actually compete with other switches in its category is clears ... and MAYBE silent reds (my sample size of one seems very smooth to me for some reason). Literally everything else is so far behind alternatives that there's no reason to consider them if you don't already own them. All opinion, of course.

treeleaf ~~~ ~~~~

I do imagine Topre is a strong contender for anyone who likes tactiles.

Those do feel pretty good when smooth, and are very, very quiet.

Did you prefer the Gateron browns to MX? Or are those amongst those you say that you've had mixed opinions on? They're the smoothest stock relatively OEM/retail/available clone MX brown switch I have ever personally tried. I know I would personally take them all day every day over their MX sibbling.  Again, though, I'm not really a tactile person.

So I just dug out my Poker3 and fixed the MiniUSB port.  I have Gaterons Browns installed on one of my Pokers and Cherry on the other.   On the same board with the same caps the difference is pretty obvious.  The Gateron switches are superior.  The Cherries have some wobble and rattle and the sound is different- drives me nuts.  The Gateron's have a more satisfying bottom out as well as upstroke.  The Gateron's just feel a heck of a lot more solid.  Unfortunately I lubed these and most of the tactility is gone.  I have Gateron Browns on a KBP board- while the board is **** it feels amazing with Leopold keycaps.  The Gateron's are also about 1/3 of the price.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 21:50:08 »
So I think I just solved my work issue for a board...   The Anne Pro 2 is available and has bluetooth connectivity.  I won't have to take away another board at the station I'm using it at- and can move it.  It is available in Kaihl Box Browns as well as Gateron Browns.  I'm super excited to try the Kaihl, but with the Gateron I at least know what I'm getting.

Offline jamster

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 August 2020, 22:13:27 »
So I think I just solved my work issue for a board...   The Anne Pro 2 is available and has bluetooth connectivity.  I won't have to take away another board at the station I'm using it at- and can move it.  It is available in Kaihl Box Browns as well as Gateron Browns.  I'm super excited to try the Kaihl, but with the Gateron I at least know what I'm getting.

Also the Keychron K4 if you want something slightly more compact but with a keypad. Gaterons and Bluetooth.

ABS caps though, you'd need to source replacements (compatible with a Leopold M980) if you want PBT.

Offline happybrokekb

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 August 2020, 13:05:57 »
Leopold FC980C and call it a day, IMO.

You cannot beat Topre for consistency and feel/sound. I also love my HHKB Type S Hybrid (it's really quiet) but the full-size/compact design of the Leopold is very close to endgame.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 16:15:20 »
If you're getting a keyboard for many people to use....The only 'safe' option layout wise is Full. 

You might be able to get away with TKL but that assumes none of them are used to having a numberpad or are used to using a laptop. 

Everything else, especially things like 60% are a no go for other users...

Least intrusive switch wise, Topre will be familiar enough...Blues if the sound isn't an issue...Browns maybe...Linear maybe...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 20:38:35 »
Cherry MX Blue,  You gotta let um' know that you're REAAAALLY working Hard..

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 21:02:43 »

I that case, just go with buckling springs and get the superior typing feel. And if needed, it can be used as a blunt instrument in a fight. Try that with your average gamer keyboard. But moving it around everyday might be a bit of a pain....
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 23:41:57 »

I that case, just go with buckling springs and get the superior typing feel. And if needed, it can be used as a blunt instrument in a fight. Try that with your average gamer keyboard. But moving it around everyday might be a bit of a pain....

So I went with the fc980M.  Leopold seems to be the best commercially available board that I've tried.  It was a product return ($99) with- yes blues.  I can't fu@#ing stand them.  I have plenty of brown switches lying around.  That model isn't as wide as most fullsize boards.  I really want a 60% but that's not gonna fly.

Offline hvontres

• Buckling Spring Enthusiast - Full Size Evangelist
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 02:06:33 »

So I went with the fc980M.  Leopold seems to be the best commercially available board that I've tried.  It was a product return ($99) with- yes blues.  I can't fu@#ing stand them.  I have plenty of brown switches lying around.  That model isn't as wide as most fullsize boards.  I really want a 60% but that's not gonna fly.

Let us know how the 980m works out for you. I'm still trying to decide between a full size of something like an 1800
Henry von Tresckow

1986 Model M 1390131, 1987 Model M 1391401 , 1993 Model M2 Modded Reddragon k556(Test Mule) Boston Prototype x2 (Daily Drivers :) )

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 10:16:05 »

MX blue is a pretty terrible clicky switch compared to alternatives (in my opinion), losing the throne of worst modern clicky switch only to really poor clones like Ajazz/Zorro. Gaterons, and even Outemus, are much more consistent and less rattly. Unless there's maybe a clicky switch still in production today, which is not an MX clone, that's somehow even worse.

Offline NewbieOneKenobi

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 13:44:20 »
Nobody in favour of hybrids or opticals?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 August 2020, 16:16:48 »
Nobody in favour of hybrids or opticals?

I have no opinion yet. I have seen the Razer optical boards for like $50 shipped, but haven't pulled the trigger. I'm holding out for silo beam switches. if they live up to the hype, then I'll care about digging deeper into hall effect, etc.

Offline jcoffin1981

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 12 September 2020, 00:28:13 »
I went with the Leopold and replaced the Blues with Box Brown switches (The blues were all I could get it in).  The board is a big hit at work.  A few people think it's weird or too loud and don't use it.  A couple are completely oblivious to it and don't even notice it.  However most find it "smooth" and "faster."  Unfortunately that work station is now often occupied by those who like it and I don't get to use it- lol go figure. 

I'm gonna bring my Anne Pro to work and use it wirelessly- I can move it from station to station.

Typing on old, ****ty rubber domes really aggrevates me- my typing is slower, I make mistakes, and if my carpal tunnel is acting up they cause me pain.