Author Topic: Looking for high quality PBT keycaps  (Read 11018 times)

Offline Shawnlee1998

Looking for high quality PBT keycaps
« on: Thu, 15 December 2022, 22:49:51 »
I am very new to this hobby and recently have completed a mode 80 build. I am trying to replace my keycaps. I am looking for a good set of PBT keycaps but brands like GMK sell ABS. What brands are advisable if I want good PBT keycaps? Also is there a list of all PBT keycap designs released? I have been looking at the autumn leaves groupbuy on Keebsforall but I have heard bad things about GBs (mainly delays). Is this the case for keebsforall as well?

TLDR = Need a list of good PBT keycap stores

Offline Slywanin

• Abdul Lutfi is my name.
Re: Looking for high quality PBT keycaps
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 30 December 2022, 12:04:39 »
I'll 2nd you. Same here!

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 31 December 2022, 10:19:48 »
Welcome to the hobby.  Many consider CRP to be the pinnacle of newly produced PBT keycaps, but you will have to wait for extra on the next group buy round which recently ran.  Other brands that are worth checking out are XMI (sold through 21kb in the us) and Shenpo if you know how to China.  The PBT sets sold by Cannonkeys and Novelkeys are both pretty decent quality as well if you are looking for something other than beige. 

I would recommend staying away from any PBT set that is reverse dye sub.  Basically any set with a darker cap color than font color is likely have the entire keycap dyed instead of just the legend.  This leads to inconsistent coloring, warping, shrinking and other undesirable quality control issues.  Anything super colorful is likely to use this method and this is why companies like GMK produce exclusively in ABS as it allows them to doubleshot and maintain a higher level of QC. 

FWIW high quality ABS caps are very nice and shine isn't the evil thing many believe it to be when first entering the hobby.  I personally have both ABS and PBT keycaps and use both frequently.

Offline dcinzona

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 January 2023, 08:05:38 »
I really prefer PBT over ABS as well. I have both and just find the PBT caps have a more pleasant sound and feel for me.
That said, I really like my new Seal and Whale PBT sets from KineticLabs.  They look and feel really nice, and are pretty thick caps, so they give that deeper sound.

https://kineticlabs.com/keycaps/polycaps/v2-seal-pbt

I have the Whale on my grey Keychron Q3 and the Seal set on my Odin V2.

Offline raily Rusive

• geekhack
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 01:37:40 »
PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) is a type of plastic commonly used in the production of high-quality keycaps. PBT keycaps are known for their durability, resistance to wear and fading, and a textured finish that provides a comfortable and grippy feel.

When it comes to high-quality PBT keycaps, there are many brands and manufacturers to choose from, including:

Ducky
Vortex
HyperX
Tai-Hao
GMK
These brands are known for producing high-quality PBT keycaps with excellent build quality, attention to detail, and a wide range of color options to choose from. However, the best choice will ultimately depend on the individual's specific needs and preferences, including budget, compatibility with the keyboard, and personal style.

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 04 February 2023, 10:20:56 »
PBT (polybutylene terephthalate) is a type of plastic commonly used in the production of high-quality keycaps. PBT keycaps are known for their durability, resistance to wear and fading, and a textured finish that provides a comfortable and grippy feel.

When it comes to high-quality PBT keycaps, there are many brands and manufacturers to choose from, including:

Ducky
Vortex
HyperX
Tai-Hao
GMK
These brands are known for producing high-quality PBT keycaps with excellent build quality, attention to detail, and a wide range of color options to choose from. However, the best choice will ultimately depend on the individual's specific needs and preferences, including budget, compatibility with the keyboard, and personal style.
ChatGPT, is that you?