Author Topic: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (final kit renders updated 2020-10-25)  (Read 49391 times)

Offline ctrl

Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 03:58:36 »
Wow, didn't see this before, looks great! Did you consider some other profile?

Thanks! :)

I have lightly considered SA3, but as it looks right now, DSA feels like the right thing. I also wanted to do a uniform profile because it's more cost efficient layout-wise; i.e. fewer keycaps necessary for covering alternative layouts (like Dvorak, Colemak, Colmak Mod-DH, Workman, Norman etc.) and other languages (Scandinavian, German, UK layouts etc.).

Also, DSA feels very retro-industrial to me. I dig that and I also feel that it works well with the Halloween III theme (I'm thinking about the scenes towards the end with all the industrial computers set up to summon Samhain). :)

What was your thoughts on choice of profile?

Looking good. Never tried DSA keycaps and these ones look nice. Lets see where this goes.

Love the new renders and am glad this is still a possibility.

Thanks! I'm sticking with it! ;D

Offline ricyuyc

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 02 February 2018, 04:57:28 »
I would join in if these is mods kit in orange legends.
 :thumb:

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 02:04:35 »

I have lightly considered SA3, but as it looks right now, DSA feels like the right thing. I also wanted to do a uniform profile because it's more cost efficient layout-wise; i.e. fewer keycaps necessary for covering alternative layouts (like Dvorak, Colemak, Colmak Mod-DH, Workman, Norman etc.) and other languages (Scandinavian, German, UK layouts etc.).

Also, DSA feels very retro-industrial to me. I dig that and I also feel that it works well with the Halloween III theme (I'm thinking about the scenes towards the end with all the industrial computers set up to summon Samhain). :)

Looking good. Never tried DSA keycaps and these ones look nice. Lets see where this goes.

Renders look great...keep it DSA!!

Offline ctrl

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 03:44:05 »

Renders look great...keep it DSA!!

Sticking with DSA and really glad for all the support! Let's make this happen! :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 February 2018, 13:20:53 »
New render added!

TKL (Mech27-TKL by 27). Render by u/janglad.
(Attachment Link)

This is a great colorway.  Nice job.  And with DSA, at least you have a chance of your set being produced in this decade.  :cool:

Offline ctrl

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 23 February 2018, 17:43:39 »
Massdrop poll is up. Vote here!

Offline baxxt14

Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (Massdrop poll is up!)
« Reply #56 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 22:06:53 »
Not really a fan of the fact that I'd have to buy 4 kits to cover my XD75 (layout here>) http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/895bb28c227db0a128ad131208d5bad1

I love the colorway (and the fact that it's DSA) but a dedicated ortho kit/more compatibility in one kit would be nice.
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 22:10:20 by baxxt14 »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 19:27:29 »
Added an update to the description.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 19:55:41 »
Not really a fan of the fact that I'd have to buy 4 kits to cover my XD75 (layout here>) http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/gists/895bb28c227db0a128ad131208d5bad1

I love the colorway (and the fact that it's DSA) but a dedicated ortho kit/more compatibility in one kit would be nice.

Glad you like the colorway and thanks for the input! Were there any specific keys you wondered about or had suggestions for? I'm continuously tweaking the 40%/ortho kit.

In your link I see you've added arrow keys. If you'd be satisfied with directional legends, you could cut a kit right there already.

You knowm lately I've been wondering about whether to split the kit into two, but there are two things that have prompted me so far to keep it as one: 1) looking at previous drops, while dedicated ortho and 40% kits would likely reach MOQ, they also seem less likely to reach higher drop points and lower prices; 2) 40% and ortho boards share a lot of 1u keys and both are flexible in their use of layouts; i.e. more keys to choose from for user customization.

These are just some of my thoughts at the moment and I'd appreciate any feedback and/or suggestions to make this kit (or kits) better and more compatible.

Offline azulyf

« Reply #59 on: Thu, 14 June 2018, 20:08:28 »
Just feel the kit design is kind of out of date. More recent sets include split Rshift and Backspace in base mod kit (like R2 canvas) which will immediately improve the capability a lot. Also hope to see a split spacebar set available.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #60 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 05:26:54 »
Just feel the kit design is kind of out of date. More recent sets include split Rshift and Backspace in base mod kit (like R2 canvas) which will immediately improve the capability a lot. Also hope to see a split spacebar set available.

I've noticed recent kits include these keys, but I wonder why split LShift + split Backspace is included in a mod kit meant to cover standard layouts? HHKB-layouts are still dependent on extension and spacebar kits so is it because it's become more common with 60% form factors including arrow clusters? That would at least account for split RShift. I think could include it. I'm still tweaking the kits. :)

Edit: split spacebars will be supported. :thumb:
« Last Edit: Fri, 15 June 2018, 05:34:28 by ctrl »

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 15 June 2018, 05:52:43 »
This set reminds of Darling in the Franxx. o-o

Offline Starius

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 12:46:18 »
CTRL, you might be interested to know that Mondotees is re-releasing the Season of the Witch soundtrack on vinyl Wednesday. 😉

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-halloween-3

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 27 August 2018, 17:29:02 »
It personally would love to see this in SA profile. Thats gonna be all in for me.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #64 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 06:04:22 »
This set reminds of Darling in the Franxx. o-o

Not familiar with that anime so didn't see that coming! Glad to see people are finding their own reference points though. :)

CTRL, you might be interested to know that Mondotees is re-releasing the Season of the Witch soundtrack on vinyl Wednesday. 😉

https://mondotees.com/blogs/news/music-weekly-halloween-3

Oh, man! I know! It makes me so sad right now I don't have a record player at the moment (do have a bunch of cool vinyls sitting in a box in the attic). Short on cash now too, but still considering getting a copy just the same! ;)

Did you get one? The H3 score is excellent!

It personally would love to see this in SA profile. Thats gonna be all in for me.

I hear you, but unfortunately that would defeat one of the driving ideas behind this keyset. I'm a Swedish ISO layout user and happen to really like alternative layouts. To me, that's something custom keyboards have the ability and opportunity to do and to boldly go wher no QWERTY has gone before. A uniform profile is an absolute necessity for that.

As for a small update. Currently working on novelty key design. This is one keyset that definitely needs at least one novelty key, don't you agree? ;)

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 29 August 2018, 06:18:23 »
Valid argument. Just wonder if you have ever considered uniform row 3 profile? That could be quite interesting too! Also props for dem novelties 😁. Can't wait to see how they turn out!
« Last Edit: Wed, 29 August 2018, 06:24:18 by otanishock »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #66 on: Thu, 30 August 2018, 01:38:21 »
Valid argument. Just wonder if you have ever considered uniform row 3 profile? That could be quite interesting too! Also props for dem novelties 😁. Can't wait to see how they turn out!

You know, in the beginning I did! I was since talked out of it by someone more experienced in the keycap design community though. I believe the reason was that it wasn't popular enough and DSA was a better bet. For now, I feel the lower, uniform profile of DSA suits the keyset well, but if there's ever a future round 2 of DSA SOTW, I could imagine it reincarnating in SA R3 or another profile.

I've been toying with the idea though of going full mono numericals, to fit with the ideas of minimalism, cost efficiency and layout coverage. Like what ChrisSwires is doing with his excellent DSA Alchemy. This would lower the key count of otherwise quite expensive kits like NORDE for one. However, I worry that DSA SOTW has been in IC for so long now, such a major change in aesthetics would alienate those who've followed the project for a long time.

Currently only working on one novelty keycap. A friend of mine who's a graphic designer by trade will design the graphics (he hasn't done keycaps before, but has done other AAA work). The technical details are a bit hard to grasps though so it's a bit slow going, but I hope we'll have something nice to show for it in the end. :)

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 30 September 2018, 08:20:11 »
Hope this awesome keycap set reach the GB stage soon! I am still waiting  :)

Offline ctrl

« Reply #68 on: Mon, 01 October 2018, 07:55:26 »
Hope this awesome keycap set reach the GB stage soon! I am still waiting  :)

Thanks for still following the project! I've just been hella busy with life lately, but it's still ongoing. Slowly sailing this ship ahead. :)

Offline comdata55

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 03 October 2018, 14:03:46 »
Absolutely adore the colorway on this one. Not a fan of DSA but if it's the only option then I would most likely back it.

Offline Volsairine

• hedonist
« Reply #70 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 02:21:45 »
I've been looking for a new DSA set and this one is PERFECT. I don't check this forum often, is there a like email list I can sign up to get updates on? If not, I'll try to keep checking here. Also, would the group buy be held on massdrop or somewhere else? Best of luck!

Offline ctrl

« Reply #71 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 02:36:08 »
Absolutely adore the colorway on this one. Not a fan of DSA but if it's the only option then I would most likely back it.

Thanks! The intention is to have a uniform profile for better layout compatibility:cost efficiency ratio.

I've been looking for a new DSA set and this one is PERFECT. I don't check this forum often, is there a like email list I can sign up to get updates on? If not, I'll try to keep checking here. Also, would the group buy be held on massdrop or somewhere else? Best of luck!

Thanks! No email lists or anything yet. I'll post updates here.

Offline Volsairine

• hedonist
« Reply #72 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 02:37:51 »

Thanks! No email lists or anything yet. I'll post updates here.

No worries :)
« Last Edit: Thu, 18 October 2018, 02:45:44 by Volsairine »

Offline Blitzschnitzel

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 15:33:37 »
Nice!
But your norde kit is strange "ss" is not "ß" and it is missing the numbers and third alt graph signs.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #74 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 00:54:07 »
Nice!
But your norde kit is strange "ss" is not "ß" and it is missing the numbers and third alt graph signs.

This is due to KLE not handling that particular symbol well. When typing the character, or entering its ALT code, into the field, it shows correctly as "ß", but in the image it turns up as "ss". I haven't found a workaround to this so I have it down to a bug in KLE. The manufactured legend would naturally be "ß".

As for third alt graph symbolds, these are usually not included in custom keysets due to costs.

I'm currently reworking the kits following some new ideas and feedback I've gotten. It'll be up sometime soon.

Offline Kuj0

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 20:49:39 »
Voted on Massdrop and eagerly awaiting this design to drop! I have a fair bit of odd-layout keebs, so DSA suits me just fine.

My only additional request is for a 75% kit with some 1u Ctrl, Alt, and Fn keys and 1.25u and 1.75u Shift keys alongside the standard modifiers!

Keep up the great work and Happy Halloween

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 30 October 2018, 21:54:42 »
Just voted; after all, I need an orange & black DSA set!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ctrl

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (new kit design poll is up!)
« Reply #78 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 09:48:24 »
Will, do & hope to see your GB soon!

Offline Starius

« Reply #79 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 09:53:35 »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what are "mono alphas" in this context?
Is it just that the alphas would be sold as their own kit only?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #80 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 09:56:37 »
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but what are "mono alphas" in this context?
Yes, mono means sold as their own kit.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #81 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 10:30:26 »

Mono alphas usually, and in this context, refer to mono legends (for the alphanumerical keys). This means the alphanumerical keys would only have one legend per key. This would mean cheaper production costs, but also wider compatibility since for many layouts, like various language layouts, it's the secondary legends that cause incompatibility.

Also, it looks uniform and pretty, especially on ortholinear layouts.  ;)

For an example of a keyset capitalizing on the mono alphas concept, check out Chris Swire's wonderful DSA Alchemy on pimpmykeyboard here.

Offline Starius

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 10:30:46 »

Thanks for the clarification.  I have made my choices in the poll now!

Edit: And thank you too, CTRL.

I'm surprised I'm a bit torn on this matter. For me I think mono definitely looks better on some layouts over others.  I'm not sure what layout or board I would use this set on now, but I definitely want to get this set, so the more versatility it could have is ideal for me.   But I know that, ultimately, cost will be the main factor in it's success.  So I don't envy you for having to make those hard calls on what makes it and what gets cut. 
« Last Edit: Fri, 29 March 2019, 10:35:26 by Starius »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 13:58:55 »
Will, do & hope to see your GB soon!

Thanks for the clarification.  I have made my choices in the poll now!

Edit: And thank you too, CTRL.

I'm surprised I'm a bit torn on this matter. For me I think mono definitely looks better on some layouts over others.  I'm not sure what layout or board I would use this set on now, but I definitely want to get this set, so the more versatility it could have is ideal for me. But I know that, ultimately, cost will be the main factor in it's success.  So I don't envy you for having to make those hard calls on what makes it and what gets cut. 

That's why I left an opening in the poll for respondents to say "both". ;) But yeah, it's a tough choice. I think this keyset could benefit from mono alphas quite a lot, both in terms of a minimalist aesthetics, cost efficiency and compatibility. However, I realize DSA SOTW has been in IC for so damn long now, it's not a change I could make to the set without at the very least opening up for a discussion and gauging interest first. I'm hoping as many as possible will take the poll to give me an idea of what they're looking for in this keyset. So thanks for taking the poll! :)

Offline scoopbb

« Reply #84 on: Fri, 29 March 2019, 23:11:30 »
was stoked for this since i saw it on MD forever ago. hopefully this gets made. looks great

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 03:30:48 »
Interested. Missing a 1.5u ESC and DEL for Vortex Race 3 in Extension Kit.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #86 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 17:40:04 »
was stoked for this since i saw it on MD forever ago. hopefully this gets made. looks great

Thanks for being there since the beginning! I really hope so too! :)

Hey! I noticed you, and some others, have left comments regarding keys you'd like to see included in the kits. Actually, I realized earlier I forgot to upload the updated kit layouts. I'll have them up during the weekend. 1.5u ESC and DEL will be included. Not sure yet whether to include them in the extension kit or to make a separate Vortex/Minila/Exotic kit though.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #87 on: Sat, 30 March 2019, 19:35:08 »

Hey! I noticed you, and some others, have left comments regarding keys you'd like to see included in the kits. Actually, I realized earlier I forgot to upload the updated kit layouts. I'll have them up during the weekend. 1.5u ESC and DEL will be included. Not sure yet whether to include them in the extension kit or to make a separate Vortex/Minila/Exotic kit though.

Don’t know about the others but IIRC there’s already a 1.5u DEL, so only 1 key missing for Vortex. Whichever way you go, I’d prefer not to buy another kit just for one key, especially since I’d need the Extension Kit for the 1u CTRL/ALT/FN. Just noticed a 1u PN would be useful too.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 March 2019, 19:36:42 by Moridin »

Offline ctrl

« Reply #88 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 06:08:11 »

Don’t know about the others but IIRC there’s already a 1.5u DEL, so only 1 key missing for Vortex. Whichever way you go, I’d prefer not to buy another kit just for one key, especially since I’d need the Extension Kit for the 1u CTRL/ALT/FN. Just noticed a 1u PN would be useful too.

Old kits are old. New kits are up. Have a look at let me know what you think! :)

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #89 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 06:33:02 »

Old kits are old. New kits are up. Have a look at let me know what you think! :)

Race 3 needs a 1u ALT, CTRL and/or CODE/SUPER/CMD key for right side of Spacebar. Mac users would need 1u CMD/SUPER + Fn + CTRL, while others would need 1u ALT + Fn + CTRL. Some other layouts needs this too.

Check out the attached image. Bottom one is XDA Canvas needed to cover Vortex Race 3.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #90 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 07:28:13 »

Race 3 needs a 1u ALT, CTRL and/or CODE/SUPER/CMD key for right side of Spacebar. Mac users would need 1u CMD/SUPER + Fn + CTRL, while others would need 1u ALT + Fn + CTRL. Some other layouts needs this too.

Check out the attached image. Bottom one is XDA Canvas needed to cover Vortex Race 3.

1u ALT, CTRL, CODE, FN keys and 1.75u RSHIFT are covered by the Extension kit.

It's true that 1x 1u CTRL is sometimes used for 60-65 % layouts with bottom right nav clusters, just as Vortex Race 3. I'll add this to the Extension kit. :thumb:

Keep in mind that Vortex and Minila users are a very small usergroup. The poll results so far reflect this as well. That is why brand specific keys ended up in a Vortex/Minila kit.

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #91 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 07:37:18 »

It's true that 1x 1u CTRL is sometimes used for 60-65 % layouts with bottom right nav clusters, just as Vortex Race 3. I'll add this to the Extension kit. :thumb:

Keep in mind that Vortex and Minila users are a very small usergroup. The poll results so far reflect this as well. That is why brand specific keys ended up in a Vortex/Minila kit.

Oh I missed the two keys on the right of the Extension Kit. My bad. Looks like you’re good to go.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #92 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 08:15:34 »

Oh I missed the two keys on the right of the Extension Kit. My bad. Looks like you’re good to go.

Phew! Added the 1u CTRL just now. ;D

Offline sendrim

• Instagram
Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (new kits are up!)
« Reply #93 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 09:49:42 »
LOVE. THIS! I'M IN!!!  :eek: :thumb: ;D :-*
I like SA

Offline ctrl

Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (new kits are up!)
« Reply #94 on: Thu, 18 April 2019, 17:33:36 »
LOVE. THIS! I'M IN!!!  :eek: :thumb: ;D :-*

YESSS!! Now, imagine these mounted on top of rows upon rows of Linjär switches. ;D :thumb:

Offline ctrl

Re: [IC] DSA Season of the Witch (updated 2019-05-13)
« Reply #95 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:07:32 »
Update!

Everything is moving ahead. Proxies are ready for the EU (mykeyboard.eu), the US (TKC) and Australia (Daily Clack). An Asian proxy is hopefully underway soon. I've gotten a first quote from Melissa at Signature Plastics. Work on novelties will hopefully start during this week. I closed the poll a few days later than planned because I forgot about it. I've gone through your responses and hope I have addressed most in kit rev. 2 already, but there'll be a few more tweaks down the road as well. We have exciting times ahead!
« Last Edit: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:17:04 by ctrl »

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #96 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:11:23 »
Can you please post the updated kit renders, with the missing keys?

Offline ctrl

« Reply #97 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:16:34 »
Can you please post the updated kit renders, with the missing keys?

The updated kit layouts are already uploaded. See Kits v2. Which missing keys were you referring to?

Offline Moridin

• Infinite Diaries
« Reply #98 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:32:01 »
Can't seem to find the 1.5U ESC key...

Offline ctrl

« Reply #99 on: Mon, 13 May 2019, 07:43:36 »
Can't seem to find the 1.5U ESC key...

That'd be covered by the Vortex/Minila kit at the bottom of the listed kits. Even got it available in both accent colors. ;)