Author Topic: #NEWIDEA: Linear switches + a small vibration motor under each switch  (Read 2675 times)

Offline KHAANNN

I think it would make a pretty fun keyboard, as long as the key is active, the motor vibrates, with the option to only vibrate briefly at the activation (activate once at activation would obviously be the default mode)

Especially with a switch like MX Red's, which requires little force to activate, it would act like an amplifier, turning each click into a small joy

I think I'm going to adopt this idea as a DIY project, http://www.adafruit.com/product/1201 this motor design seems ideal

I'm so excited
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline KHAANNN

Re: #NEWIDEA: Linear switches + a small vibration motor under each switch
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 04:40:17 »
Gave a bit more thought to this idea, how it would be feasible

There is a base plate / PCB with vibration motors mounted on it, on vibration motors there is a silicone application, a regular switch plate is put onto the vibration plate, each switch's plastic bottom resting on the silicone's to absorb/transfer the vibration

This separates the switch dynamics from the vibration layer, keeping the simplicity and maintainability of the mechanical keyboard
Endgame | 1.25 Cmd for GMK Sets Please | Or Just 1.25 Blanks Like The Good Old Days

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 04:46:03 »
Skip the vibrator, and just put a solenoid in.

That is, a solenoid + metal rod that gets accelerated into some part of the keyboard case. Many IBM beam springs used these. When activated they make a sharp 'click' sound (potentially quite a loud one), and with the right construction you should even be able to feel the vibration.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 04:49:37 by jacobolus »

Offline KHAANNN

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 06:56:18 »
Skip the vibrator, and just put a solenoid in.

That is, a solenoid + metal rod that gets accelerated into some part of the keyboard case. Many IBM beam springs used these. When activated they make a sharp 'click' sound (potentially quite a loud one), and with the right construction you should even be able to feel the vibration.
That is very interesting, however it seems more challenging design-wise, especially space-wise

These vibration motors seems to be very thin, some even have brushless motors and controllers inside them, like this one: https://catalog.precisionmicrodrives.com/order-parts/product/910-101-10mm-brushless-vibration-motor-3mm-type

65ma seems feasible too, probably with a capacitance circuit, the whole thing would be well under the 500ma usb limit even at 200wpm's

Offline snipars

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:30:24 »
pretty sure this feature exists in the kinesis advantage, or some similar keyboard, though i don't think it was with MX linears 
i wonder how that would feel to type on, probably great
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:32:15 »
Sounds like it would tickle :P

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:33:37 »
I would expect this to feel kind of like the vibration on a phone when you use the keyboard which in my opinion is terrible.
Although I am still interested in how this goes.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:49:56 »
This is similar to the Logitech iFeel Mouse, which has a vibrating motor which would provide tactile feedback when the mouse was hovering over something "clickable".

It's an interesting idea... I think a solenoid would work better, though.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 09:54:31 »
This may be razer's next big thing in gaming keyboards, a keyboard with vibration feedback to things going on in game.

Offline Zekromtor

• My Setup
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:03:18 »
Could be cool. It would be pretty easy to rig it up for a test on a single key. See how it feels.