Author Topic: Hi-Tek Space Invaders vintage white switches  (Read 5266 times)

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Hi-Tek Space Invaders vintage white switches
« on: Mon, 24 March 2014, 16:13:10 »
OK, I will start this thing.

Here is a very good-looking and well-built keyboard, if you can figure out how to make it run.

Dorkvader bought the other one, if you have any questions, he probably knows more than I do.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251486254497?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

« Last Edit: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:13:10 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Linear Space Invaders on eBay
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:02:19 »
http://cgi.ebay.com/itm/251486254497 Space invaders!

I got one of these earlier, and it's awesome. Dyesub PBT, very smooth operation, cool stabilizers. Pictures of mine are uploading now but this looks pretty awesome.

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: Linear Space Invaders on eBay
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:04:15 »
isn't this fohats? And he posted it to the new auctions sub

Offline False_Dmitry_II

Re: Linear Space Invaders on eBay
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 18:16:25 »
That one is, yes. There are others out there.

What're you gonna do with yours dorkvader?
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline dorkvader

Re: Hi-Tek Space Invaders vintage white switches
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 19:11:39 »
That one is, yes. There are others out there.

What're you gonna do with yours dorkvader?

Well I'm going to try and decipher the protocol! Then I plan to learn how to code and then use it. It's awesome! If I can't convert it, I'll just keep the plate and then direct-wire. In fact I may do that anyway for NKRO. The only issue is that they are a bit odd to solder to with the hollow legs.

There's actually places on the PCB for a LEGIT layout! I just need like 15 more space invaders switches (and some keycaps)

The PCB is dated 1989.

I'll link my flickr album: this KB is really well made.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dork_vader/sets/72157642928081893/

(click here for full resolution)
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 March 2014, 19:33:54 by dorkvader »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 19:59:12 »
Hollow legs?

Also that seems fairly unusual to have extra spaces already there on both PCB and the plate.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:28:17 »
Hollow legs?

Also that seems fairly unusual to have extra spaces already there on both PCB and the plate.

It's pretty common.

Many keyboards will support multiple layouts on the PCB (usually ansi, iso, and japanese for modern ones), and it's not too uncommon to see multiple layout support on the plate as well. Most of my hall effect keyboards immediately spring to mind. This is a well-thought-out design, and I am sot surprised to see such things. Were I making a keyboard design like this, I would include extra switches where possible. I mean, the same thing happened with the phantom.

Edit: I checked the legs: they are actually quite thick.
« Last Edit: Tue, 25 March 2014, 20:44:28 by dorkvader »

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 25 March 2014, 21:50:13 »
The only thing I've seen in person that would have other layout support would be my IBM stuff, even though I've never looked at the membrane (nor have I opened my AT F to make it useable). How would you cut holes in the case to use some of them?

But what did you mean by hollow legs though? I've not looked at space invader switches desoldered yet.

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 09:21:49 »

There's actually places on the PCB for a LEGIT layout!

You are making me want to withdraw the sale. If I could mod the layout closer to straight-ANSI (that Delete immediately beside Enter is certain death) it would be sweet.

Why do you need more switches? This thing is 109 already!
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 28 March 2014, 18:34:28 »
For the record, if you did do a controller replacement, what they currently say where they are is completely irrelevant. You could move delete to elsewhere and have some key that does nothing there even if you think it's a problem.