Author Topic: Any trick to liking HHKB?  (Read 4088 times)

Offline typo

Any trick to liking HHKB?
« on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 20:31:30 »
I really like the layout and of Course the cup rubber. My problem is heavy usage of arrow and F keys is a pain. Is there some way I can program it to make those shortcuts much easier for myself? I am just trying out all the keyboards I got. Thank you

Offline fanpeople

Re: Any trick to liking HHKB?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 20:51:54 »
I have been using a HHKB daily for about 5 years now. I remember thinking how strange it was and initially considered getting rid of it. But after a while I grew to like the layout and can use the layers without any issues.

I believe there are replacement controller boards with that sort of capability but it might not be worth it if you are just testing the board.

Offline typo

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 January 2021, 22:09:09 »
I think I am sticking with one of the Topre boards for now. I will probably end up preferring one of the full size. I can see why many people like the HHKB.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 20:23:21 »
Having no taste.

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 January 2021, 21:22:26 »
If you keep practicing with the arrows, it gets easier. I have been using the HHKB layout, daily, for about four years now and I love it.

Offline Polymer

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 00:47:30 »
Arrow key is probably the number 1 reason why people drop the HHKB..

I think backspace is easy to get used to...CTRL is really easy to get used to...Arrow keys take a lot more practice.....

My mistake when I first used it was I changed it so I had a left side FN key thinking that would be better...but that makes me want IJKL as the arrow key cluster.  Forcing myself to use the right fn made using the arrow keys a lot easier.

I still would prefer left FN IJKL but I can live with it as is simply because it is enjoyable to use and love the sound...

Offline typo

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 06:25:42 »
I have done the same thing, Polymer. It is not just that. It certainly made the issue worse for me. You Guy's are spot on. It is mainly the arrow keys giving me difficulty. I think it is an outstanding keyboard. Just like every Topre. Although it has a plastic plate. At that size I guess they figure it would suffice. They would never build some junk. In fact, it is their most expensive product. I am sure I will get use to it. I like to master something.

It was sealed. I suppose my Grandfather had no interest in it. Or just did not get around to it in time. I know how it works. It just slows my WPM to a halt at the moment. I thought this had on board memory for layers. Or am I mistaken about that? I am not sure where this came from. Since the box and little instruction booklet are in Japanese. It also has a JDM part number. Perhaps I am finding out I do not want to know everything that he did. I do not think he had been in Japan for a while. Hopefully it was legit. Regardless I am not giving up on it. Oh, no legends. I knew someone was going to ask Japanese.

I was just wishing there was a selection of Topre keycaps. Of course there likely never will be. The stock caps are better than most. There is still better to be had. I could not really complain about the stock ones. Just if I wanted to change themes on one of my boards.

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 06:35:14 »
well, for me, I use hjkl as arrow keys, been swapping control and caps lock for years, hhkb layout is cool and practical to me

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 07:16:04 »
I don't know if I have much to contribute to this, besides saying that the arrows do get easier after a while. I've had mine for around a year, but still struggle when I am doing heavy text editing and have to press some 'chords'. I'm not sure if you are doing this already, but I would recommend only using the HHKB for a few days to see if the muscle memory becomes more ingrained. After a couple of week the arrows became pretty natural to me.

How long have you had the board/have been trying to make it work?

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 08:23:16 »
Either you could get a hasu converter for remapping or just invest in a realforce. You can change the ctrl/capslock layout and it's basically like a HHKB. You could also get a dedicated numpad to reprogram for a-keys and f-keys
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 08:41:02 »
I think the arrows are what would hold me back, my current 60 I have set the dip switches to change my left CTRL to the capslock position and another switch which turns my right Shift,CTRL,PN and ALT (swaps the FN and ALT positions too) into a dedicated arrow cluster.  I do want to get a HHKB to add to my line-up and try out as I want to at least experience it.

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline Polymer

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 15:03:25 »
I have done the same thing, Polymer. It is not just that. It certainly made the issue worse for me. You Guy's are spot on. It is mainly the arrow keys giving me difficulty. I think it is an outstanding keyboard. Just like every Topre. Although it has a plastic plate. At that size I guess they figure it would suffice. They would never build some junk. In fact, it is their most expensive product. I am sure I will get use to it. I like to master something.

It was sealed. I suppose my Grandfather had no interest in it. Or just did not get around to it in time. I know how it works. It just slows my WPM to a halt at the moment. I thought this had on board memory for layers. Or am I mistaken about that? I am not sure where this came from. Since the box and little instruction booklet are in Japanese. It also has a JDM part number. Perhaps I am finding out I do not want to know everything that he did. I do not think he had been in Japan for a while. Hopefully it was legit. Regardless I am not giving up on it. Oh, no legends. I knew someone was going to ask Japanese.

I was just wishing there was a selection of Topre keycaps. Of course there likely never will be. The stock caps are better than most. There is still better to be had. I could not really complain about the stock ones. Just if I wanted to change themes on one of my boards.

It doesn't have any ability to change keys other than the dipswitch changes for certain keys.  You can, of course, put in your own controller.. I'm under the impression the new HHKB Hybrids have some ability to program/change keys (I don't have one so I don't know for sure). 

The key to the arrow keys is just using it a lot..you'll eventually get used to it...

Offline flacman

• I have oneness with cup rubber
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 19:37:10 »
I've been using my HHKB for about 8 years and the only keyboard I'm trying out next is a RAMA Kara...

At first I hated it, absolutely hated it -- layout was weird, I couldn't see what the hell I was typing and arrows were a pain.

Now it's muscle memory and I struggle to get real use out of my Realforce 87U.
HHKB Pro 2 | Realforce 87U 55g | Realforce RGB | RAMA Kara

Offline typo

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 20:55:23 »
I have keypads and Realforces. I just like the HHKB the way it is right now. I doubt I will use it forever. I think it is interesting. It is impressive how small the footprint is. I do not have to like it. I want to.